will the yankees play dead for tampa

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4411943. Show user_4411943's posts

Re: will the yankees play dead for tampa

In Response to Re: will the yankees play dead for tampa:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: will the yankees play dead for tampa : Why does it not surprise me that you work with Yankee fans.
    Posted by BeaconHill19[/QUOTE]

It probably shouldn't considering Yankee fans are everywhere even in Beacon Hill.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

DOESN'T MATTER...ALL WE NEED TO DO IS WIN OUT!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sadsax. Show sadsax's posts

[QUOTE]DOESN'T MATTER...ALL WE NEED TO DO IS WIN OUT!!!
    Posted by REBEL[/QUOTE]

your math is pretty good; let's just hope reality doesn't mess it up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Tonight would be the best opportunity for the Rays to get a win.     The NYY and a flight that didn't get into Tampa until the wee hours and might be listless.The Sox had less of a flight but the bullpen is tired from the 2 games.  Have to hope Beckett is at his best tonight.
    Posted by OnDeckCircle[/QUOTE]

Agree that tonight's games will be more difficult for the Yankees and the Red Sox after playing two games yesterday.  Fortunately, we didn't have any rain delays and the weather was favorable.  Even though, the 2nd game went into extra innings.  If their had also been rain delays, the games would have been even longer. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Yankees will come to play, I agree.

As Al Leiter said last night on YES, the Yankees will want to beat up on the Rays as much as possible in preparation for possible playoffs. Same with the Red Sox.

Though I also agree that the regulars get pulled after 9 innings (maybe fewer) to rest them.

Hard to say how any of that will affect the outcome. 

Stay tuned.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoeCowbell. Show MoeCowbell's posts

I have no idea what question you people are referring to here. Now if the question is "Will the Yankees play dead for Tampa Bay?", then I would say definitely maybe.

The Yankees lead Texas & Detroit by 4 games or more, so they could get swept and still keep home field advantage, right?

If the Rays could hit consistently, Bosox should be really worried. As is, you never know how the Rays will hit - they're unbeatable when they score at least 5 runs, but they might not, even against AAA grade pitchers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Scenario:

RS win 0, Rays win 1 tie; win 2 or more and win WC
    RS win 1, Rays win 2 tie; win 3 and win WC
    RS win 2, Rays win 3 tie.
    RS win 3, RS win WC

Looks pretty simple.  I'd say no way it gets blown now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

In Response to will the yankees play dead for tampa:
    [QUOTE]this is one thing i have to wonder, do the yankees really want to play us in post season, although we have not played well latley, this team always seem to have something in october, i hope giradi does not lay down to tampa bay and let them take two out of three. it wouldnt be right with out the sox and yanks in post season.
    Posted by tang1[/QUOTE]

Knowing Steinbrenner It is pretty much guaranteed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to will the yankees play dead for tampa:
    [QUOTE]this is one thing i have to wonder, do the yankees really want to play us in post season, although we have not played well latley, this team always seem to have something in october, i hope giradi does not lay down to tampa bay and let them take two out of three. it wouldnt be right with out the sox and yanks in post season.
    Posted by tang1[/QUOTE]
    The Red Sox have failed to win a postseason game in four of the past six seasons.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

I wouldn't worry too much about the Yankees laying down in Tampa. They are a very deep team.

The real issue is can the Sox beat Showalter's O's. They couldn't do it in Boston, they are having the worst September in history, what's changed? 
    Maybe, they will play inspired for the last three games, that's what needs to happen.
     The bullpen is pretty much spent, so Beckett is going to have to go deep and they are going to have to score lots of runs. You have to worry when Tito has to look for help from JD Drew, a guy who hasn't played in two months, who is batting .218 , That's how little confidence he has in Reddick, and Crawford, don't get me started. 
    Hopefully Ells and Pedey will have a big series and they win the WC, they are about the only two and Scutaro, who have shown they are up to it. Papi has been standing on his bottom lip, he needs to get happy again. Gonzo has been a no show lately.

Tampa should win the first game , the Yanks win one of three. The Sox need to win 2/3 in Baltimore. It shouldn't be that difficult,  but Buck will be pulling all the stops , he would love to knock off the big spending Red Sox, time will tell.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Scenario: RS win 0, Rays win 1 tie; win 2 or more and win WC RS win 1, Rays win 2 tie; win 3 and win WC RS win 2, Rays win 3 tie. RS win 3, RS win WC Looks pretty simple.  I'd say no way it gets blown now.
    Posted by schwank[/QUOTE]

Or the Red Sox lose three, the Rays win 1 and the Angels win three and we have three teams tied in one gigantic mess.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

royf19 : I was trying to be optimistic, for a change. With a dash of realistic. I know it doen't suit me, but it's more fun to laugh , than to cry.

Bottom line is , the season comes down to three games, we will see what they are made of now, for sure. No excuses, get the job done, it's put up or shut up time. If they lose all three games, Theo and Tito will be replaced. If they lose two out of three and lose the playoff game in Tampa, Tito gets fired.

They win the WC and everybody's back, but watch out for Showalter and the runnin Orioles. They will be loose as a goose, and the Sox will be tight as a drum. Advantage Orioles.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]royf19 : I was trying to be optimistic, for a change. With a dash of realistic. I know it doen't suit me, but it's more fun to laugh , than to cry.   Bottom line is , the season comes down to three games, we will see what they are made of now, for sure. No excuses, get the job done, it's put up or shut up time. If they lose all three games, Theo and Tito will be replaced. If they lose two out of three and lose the playoff game in Tampa, Tito gets fired. They win the WC and everybody's back, but watch out for Showalter and the runnin Orioles. They will be loose as a goose, and the Sox will be tight as a drum. Advantage Orioles.
    Posted by aussiewill[/QUOTE]

Well I do like your scenarios better but there the warped side of my personality that would get a kick out of seeing a three-way tie.

Yes, I know -- I need professional help.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Roy you don't need professional help, it's too late for that. LOL . The odds of a three way tie, must be off the richter scale.

" Show me a good loser , and I'll show you a loser"  Vince Lombardi.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I think the Yankees will try hard with whomever they put out there but they won't be using their A-team members. Let's face it Noisi,Colon and TBD aren't exactly CC,Phil Hughes or even AJ for that fact. I know the O's will be gunning for the Sox and they won't be resting their top 9 nor will they be pitching Joe Schmoo at the Sox. So if Tippy really knows how to manage a team now would be a good time to show us all. Beckett,Bedard and Lester need too pitch lights out for three games.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from majormathew. Show majormathew's posts

Yanks are going to lay down and trust and believe Buck will have the O's pumped to play these games. The last thing the redsox needed last night was to go 14innings. Who would of thought in the beginning of the season when sox was predicted to win it all it would come down to this. CRAZY!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to will the yankees play dead for tampa : The Red Sox have failed to win a postseason game in four of the past six seasons.
    Posted by hill55

Hill what exactly does that mean...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kamdog. Show Kamdog's posts

Did the Yanks lay down yesterday?  How do you define lay down, anyway?  There are 8 position players, and the Yanks used 4 of their starters in the first, and the other 4 of their starters in the second.

They could have pinch hit with bases loaded in the extra innings, but let the rookie stay in the game.  They had Jeter, ARod, and Andruw Jones sitting around, but let the rookie stay in.

I bet Tampa fans were wondering if the Yanks were laying down for the Sox.

No.  The Yanks are setting up for the post season, and not doing anything else.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from massillon8. Show massillon8's posts

If you want to see what your going to get from the Yankees the next two nights, look no further then last Thursday Nights game against the Rays.  15-8.  Wed. Afternoon, they may come out and play with some degree of effectiveness, but really going out today after a 14 inning, late arrival into Tampa and playing with any kind of urgency just is not going to happen.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I think the Yanks will play the same way they did last night.  They'll rest guys, but the guys on the field will give 100%. 

And a Yankee Line up with a bunch of guys from the minors is still better then Baltimore's regular line up.

Boston should sweep Baltimore.  But the Tuesday game looks iffy - Baltimore has a lefty going which could give the red sox line up problems.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I seriously doubt the Yankees care one way or the other about this Sox team until and if they have to play them in the playoffs.  The Sox have to get into the playoffs and then worry about beating the Tigers and Verlander.  The Sox do not have to depend on the Yanks to beat TB - they are in control of their own destiny. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

That is correct that the yankees did rest regulars over the weekend, but not at all one time.  Who care, Yankees will play regulars for the last three games to continue their focus playing the game.  Maybe the last game, they will all rested due they will only have two days rest before the playoff.

So therefore, they just do not want to be well too rested from now to the playoff game on friday.

Meaning the first two games of Tampa/Yankees, Yankees will play hard except they refuse to do something stupid such as to dive for the ball in the OF, to the stand, etc.  Their bat will be the same such as they will try to hit homeruns, etc.  That mean, Yankees will either go for the win or not.  If it is a close game, of course, Gardali will use few top relievers to keep their same pressure feeling instead bypassing them, resting them, and then they will suddenly loses the pressure feeling for the playoff game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The Yankees will go hard to win, but within the parameters of not overusing their pitchers, especially starters. 

That said, it is clearly in their best interst to play the Sox in the playoffs.  Right now the Rays look tons better than our guys. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"I hope they lay down bigtime."

That's because you're a classless troll who likes stoking the fires and/or advocating bad sportsmanship. Fortunatley the team you root for is way classier than you are and they will play hard (albeit by resting key players as they are absolutely justified in doing). 

As for the OP, I think it's best to expect the Sox to need to win out to get into the playoffs. It's their fault they are in this position. To look to the Yanks for help right now is not a good idea and almost feels pathetic. Win and you're in.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Who cares -- the playoffs are there for the taking and I'd rather the Sox get their heads in order and win to get in than to back in somehow.  Win to get in, it's in their hands.