Will there be a game tonight?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from djcbuffum. Show djcbuffum's posts

Will there be a game tonight?

I can't see how they'll be able to play tonight at Fenway, under the circumstances.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: Will there be a game tonight?

Good question.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from djcbuffum. Show djcbuffum's posts

Right on cue:

TwitterNick Cafardo  @nickcafardo Red Sox COO Sam Kennedy said no decision on tonight's Red Sox-Royals game "until we hear from city officials. We're following their lead."

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Softy, the question is public safety. I realize you run that risk  in everything you do, but if the slimeball(s) is/are still at large, I say PPD the game in the interest not only of public safety but allowing the police to do their jobs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If I had to guess, Id say yes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tek-9. Show Tek-9's posts

I think they are close to catching this guy. If they do they will play if not i think the game is canceled

P.S. This "No way should Muslim jihadists stop this game! " is speaking like a child

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Softy, the question is public safety. I realize you run that risk  in everything you do, but if the slimeball(s) is/are still at large, I say PPD the game in the interest not only of public safety but allowing the police to do their jobs.

As much as I would like to see a game played tonight, police resources are going to be needed to find the remaining suspect. If police are sent to Fenway Park they cannot be used to participate in the manhunt or to provide public safety elsewhere. And despite Softlaw's mindless right wing rants about this, we do not yet have the facts about the events.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from djcbuffum. Show djcbuffum's posts

I think Softlaw's point is that the fans are adults (or under the supervision of adults), and should be allowed to make their own decision about whether to take the risks and go out. 

He's also suggesting that the government shouldn't be allowed to restrict our personal freedom of movement. I agree with him on that.

On the other hand, it would be rather unkind of Sox management for make all of the employees risk their lives and come to work.

Further, a big crowd around Fenway would be a great place for the suspect to make a "last stand."

If I were Sox management, I'd be inclined to postpone until tomorrow for the safety of my employees. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Personal opinion aside, I lean towards no.

Public transportation (both inbound and outbound) was still shut down last I checked.

While I agree w/ Softlaw and DJCBuffum that it should be up to Sox management, I think a series of events would need to happen between now and 5 pm for this game to be played... 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I guess by me saying yes they should play, its based on the opinion that I think they will have the other suspect by then. If not, then yes, Postpone the game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to djcbuffum's comment:

I think Softlaw's point is that the fans are adults (or under the supervision of adults), and should be allowed to make their own decision about whether to take the risks and go out. 

He's also suggesting that the government shouldn't be allowed to restrict our personal freedom of movement. I agree with him on that.

On the other hand, it would be rather unkind of Sox management for make all of the employees risk their lives and come to work.

Further, a big crowd around Fenway would be a great place for the suspect to make a "last stand."

If I were Sox management, I'd be inclined to postpone until tomorrow for the safety of my employees. 

My point is that if the suspect is still  on the loose, police can use all the personnel on hand they can get. They don't need to have to spend manpower, extended manpower given the circumstances, at a baseball game. So yes, if the suspect is still at large,  most definitely PPD the game and let the police do their jobs without having to worry about 37,499 people at Fenway.

As for government restricting our personal freedom, I'm not sure how that applies. Still, government restricts our personal freedom all the time, as well it should. Otherwise,  it's Anarchy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

To me given all that has happened this week, the new killing today, the chaos in the entire area, and the fact that we may not even be sure these two are all we should be concerned about, I would say not only should tonights game be put off, I think the sooner the Sox Front Office makes and announces that decision the better.............

Even if they get this guy well before game time.....  For a lot of reasons baseball can wait a day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from djcbuffum. Show djcbuffum's posts

My point is that if the suspect is still  on the loose, police can use all the personnel on hand they can get. They don't need to have to spend manpower, extended manpower given the circumstances, at a baseball game. So yes, if the suspect is still at large,  most definitely PPD the game and let the police do their jobs without having to worry about 37,499 people at Fenway.

[b]As for government restricting our personal freedom, I'm not sure how that applies. Still, government restricts our personal freedom all the time, as well it should. Otherwise,  it's Anarchy.[/b]

There's a difference between the rule of law and the (temporary) imposition of a police state. One is legislative action taken by elected officials after deliberation. The other is ad hoc, indiscriminate authoritarian use of force or the threat of force on citizens. I'm (generally) comfortable with legislative actions that define and shape our freedoms. I'm far less comfortable with police actions that indescriminately limit citizens' rights to freedom of movement.

I agree that it would be responsible and considerate for Sox management to assist the State in effective allocation of police resources by postponing the game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to tetonman50's comment:

To me given all that has happened this week, the new killing today, the chaos in the entire area, and the fact that we may not even be sure these two are all we should be concerned about, I would say not only should tonights game be put off, I think the sooner the Sox Front Office makes and announces that decision the better.............

Even if they get this guy well before game time.....  For a lot of reasons baseball can wait a day.

Many of us have family and friends who live in the war zone right now-and some posters probably live there themselves. I have a nephew at UMass Dartmouth, the school the fugitive is attending. This is not the time for a baseball game. Nor is it the time to promote your political agenda here (there is really no place for that on a sports forum ever IMO). The game should be canceled as it is an unnecessary distraction to the real life business at hand. Once that is wrapped up baseball can continue. Games are way down the priority list right now.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

Probably depends on if they catch the guy before gametime or if the manhunt is still on.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Many of us have family and friends who live in the war zone right now-and some posters probably live there themselves. I have a nephew at UMass Dartmouth, the school the fugitive is attending. This is not the time for a baseball game. Nor is it the time to promote your political agenda here (there is really no place for that on a sports forum ever IMO). The game should be canceled as it is an unnecessary distraction to the real life business at hand. Once that is wrapped up baseball can continue. Games are way down the priority list right now.

Does your nephew play baseball?  A good friend of mine graduated from UMASS Dartmouth last year , but was their closer the preceeding 2-3 years.  I dont want to put his full name on an internet forum but its Patrick L.  Considering he was an all-conference closer, your nephew (if he's been on the team for a couple of years) probably knows him.

Great pitcher for a NCAA - III division closer.  Throws a slider from the 3/4 slot.  Low-eighties, tons of movement.  The reason it has so much movement is because he "over-snaps".  Which was his downfall.  While the pitch itself was dirty, the fact that he "over-snaps" telegraphs the pitch (and also killed his arm).

Crazy movement though.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Does your nephew play baseball?  A good friend of mine graduated from UMASS Dartmouth last year , but was their closer the preceeding 2-3 years.  I dont want to put his full name on an internet forum but its Patrick L.  Considering he was an all-conference closer, your nephew (if he's been on the team for a couple of years) probably knows him.

Great pitcher for a NCAA - III division closer.  Throws a slider from the 3/4 slot.  Low-eighties, tons of movement.  The reason it has so much movement is because he "over-snaps".  Which was his downfall.  While the pitch itself was dirty, the fact that he "over-snaps" telegraphs the pitch (and also killed his arm).

Crazy movement though.

The only baseball my nephew plays is whiffleball. He is not much of an athlete. Sounds like your nephew needs some good coaching so he can improve his delivery a bit.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

it hinges on the T. if the t is running, game on, if it isn't, PPD.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

It's not a matter of gametime.  The players show up hours before the game to go through their routines and prepare for the game. Even if they catch all of these "bad guys" by 3:00 having the game would be problematic.  To expect them to show up at 6:30 for a 7:05 game isn't realistic.  Put it off a day, or more if necessary.

I agree with the djc's post that Fenway would be a great place for a terrorist (and please let's not get into the pc defintion of terrorist) to make his last stand.  While a large police presence at the park would lessen the possiblity of that happening, in the real world there's no way they could guarantee the safety of the players and the fans tonight.  WHile there's no way safety can ever be absoultely guaranteed, to play the game tonight would be foolhardy.

It's a public safety issue, and I'm of the idea that if the game was played and a "last stand" was made Softy would be at the head of a line of people yelling, "Why did the police EVER let that game be played tonight, with a terrorist on the loose?"! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Crazy movement though.

The only baseball my nephew plays is whiffleball. He is not much of an athlete. Sounds like your nephew needs some good coaching so he can improve his delivery a bit.

He's a friend, not a nephew, I'm 28.

He never saw eye to eye with his coach.  He was an all-conference closer his junior year, and his coach converted him (against his will) to being a starter.  He was an okay starter, but he over-throws and really only has two pitches (slider and two seam).

The coach told him that he was their best pitcher and therefore wanted him to anchor the rotation.  My friend loved closing and new that his aresenal was better suited for relief.  I guess you could say that the coach "Daniel Barded" him.

It's not like he was going to go pro.  RP don't usually get drafted.  When teams look to draft relievers, they generally look for starters who are candidates to be converted.  I think the coach had both the team's best interest (and Pat's) in mind....But it didnt work out and Pat held it against him.

Pat's a great guy but certainly a hot head.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Crazy movement though.

He's a friend, not a nephew, I'm 28.

He never saw eye to eye with his coach.  He was an all-conference closer his junior year, and his coach converted him (against his will) to being a starter.  He was an okay starter, but he over-throws and really only has two pitches (slider and two seam).

The coach told him that he was their best pitcher and therefore wanted him to anchor the rotation.  My friend loved closing and new that his aresenal was better suited for relief.  I guess you could say that the coach "Daniel Barded" him.

It's not like he was going to go pro.  RP don't usually get drafted.  When teams look to draft relievers, they generally look for starters who are candidates to be converted.  I think the coach had both the team's best interest (and Pat's) in mind....But it didnt work out and Pat held it against him.

Pat's a great guy but certainly a hot head.

OOPS. Gotta read the posts better. I think just "Barded" should be incorporated into the English language dictionary and be defined as an individual who was forced to leave his current avocation and made to enter a vocation to which he or she is less well suited.