WITH 1.47 ERA, WHY IS OKAJIMA NOT ON THIS ROSTER?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Re: WITH 1.47 ERA, WHY IS OKAJIMA NOT ON THIS ROSTER?

Not being on the 40-man is the simple answer as to why Morales and Williams (and Atchison, for that matter) get called up and Oki doesn't.

That said, I agree with the great contrarian.  Oki had been improving before being DFAd, and it seems to be almost a vandetta that he was cut, and now gets no respect. 

Surprising to me that teams looking for relief have not been calling.  He will pitch well enough for someone this September, I suspect.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfan1967. Show soxfan1967's posts

Oki served the 'Sox well however it is time to say goodbye.  His ERA and WHIP have gone up every year.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from b12696. Show b12696's posts

I completely agree. Really Randy Williams is better than Oki?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: WITH 1.47 ERA, WHY IS OKAJIMA NOT ON THIS ROSTER?:
    [QUOTE]I find it confounding as well. The Red Sox have something against Okajima personally. I don't care if Randy Williams throws high heat. I care about results. Okajima has been a significantly better reliever at every level. Even when he's supposedly "terrible," he still has an ERA in the low to mid-4s. In any case, I suspect Okajima will return to Boston for the September roster expansion. If not, then the team definitely despises him. The only problem is they'd have to designate someone else for assignment or place that player on the 60-day DL. Okajima is not currently on the 40-man roster. Shifting Jed Lowrie to the 60-day DL would probably get it done. He's been gone awhile anyway and does not appear to be returning any time soon.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

Lowrie is already hitting off a tee.
    Oki is AAAA.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to WITH 1.47 ERA, WHY IS OKAJIMA NOT ON THIS ROSTER?:
    [QUOTE]despite the indignity the sox have shown him, oki has knuckled down and been lights out in pawtucket. he's 5-0 and is dominating leftie hitters, allowing them to only hit .162 against him with a 1.69 ERA. his era is actually better vs righties at 1.35. his overall BA against is .185 (righties are at .197). he's not better than randy freakin williams? he's been in the playoff wars. we could use a guy to compliment bard right now. perhaps you have some informal competition with him and morales for the lefty setup role til miller can compete as well. lets see what we've got. let jenks hang out til september.  anyway, i want to see oki given one more shot very soon in a more meaningful role. he's healthy and seems to have his mojo back! or at least trade the man if you have chosen to lose trust in him. oki was getting it done before being ingloriously waived. he doesnt belong wasting away in triple A! seems like its non-baseball related!
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]
    Hi CC. Simply, because it's AAA. Light years from the Bigs. Once the trips figure out is faux head direction on each throw, they'll be hitting that 88 mph fastball of his. Hitters as pitchers have a learning curve to facing one another and get to know one another's strength, weaknesses and tendencies. It's a matter of how well you do your homework and prepare for whomever you're facing. And that applies to hitters and pitchers alike to know their opposition. Just my 2 cents.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

Inepstein and the sheep fans prefer pitchers that look like them, over a true performer like Okajima. He has done everything the team has asked and has nothing to show for it. Jed does nothing and is rewarded a starting job, Jake spends all of last year playing video games at API, and is still with the team. Obvious where the team's priorities lie.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Yeah, the team really took one on the chin believing in Jake.
    What a flop he turned out to be!

Re-signing OKI didn't do him or the team any favors.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, the team really took one on the chin believing in Jake. What a flop he turned out to be! Re-signing OKI didn't do him or the team any favors.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

This guy isn't even the real softy.  He's a troll imitating Softy. Which is obviously quite sad.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

[QUOTE]Time to say goodbye to Wastefield and Varitek. Declining numbers every year. They need to learn Japanese.
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

I don't like J_A_P pitchers, period.  (Mods don't seem to like that word but that won't stop me)  They are intimidated by the size of American players and come from a culture where giving up a home run is a huge deal.   As a result they are afraid to pitch to contact.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

No matter.
    He's just as lame.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to WITH 1.47 ERA, WHY IS OKAJIMA NOT ON THIS ROSTER? : Hi CC. Simply, because it's AAA. Light years from the Bigs. Once the trips figure out is faux head direction on each throw, they'll be hitting that 88 mph fastball of his. Hitters as pitchers have a learning curve to facing one another and get to know one another's strength, weaknesses and tendencies. It's a matter of how well you do your homework and prepare for whomever you're facing. And that applies to hitters and pitchers alike to know their opposition. Just my 2 cents.
    Posted by Bralon[/QUOTE]bralon, that makes no sense though i keep hearing it. greg maddox, jesse orosco, and trevor hoffman were effective for years sub85 fastballs. heck, mariano has been lights out with one pitch for years and now its gone from 96 to 89-90 and they still cant hit it consistently. oki at 88 and being a lefty can clearly make adjustments and he clearly has. 

his ERA at aaa was 3+ when he was called up the first time and he wasnt getting lefties out. point is oki's problem was more about location and command with his fastball. he wasnt throwing it  for he lost confidence in his ability to keep it moving and low, and when he did it got tattoed! u need incredible precision to be effective with a fastball under 90. oki now has that, so y are we still treating him as if this is 2010 or late 2009? there are second acts. his stuff and delivery are still good enough to compete at the highest levels if he keeps his fastball down and precise! the past doesnt equal the future. dice refused to adjust as much, oki clearly has!

btw, the 40 man roster thing does make sense. can see y that would keep him down for awhile tough break and sad that a guy like this couldnt get a better deal. no way should he re-sign with us or anyone else if not on the 40 man roster and on a major league contract. he should go back to japan if thats the case!