Workman will work in the closer role.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Workman will work in the closer role.

I like this kid. Tall rangy RH'er. Fastball, curve,(1-7)........maybe a cutter. He has closer stuff. Reminds me of Cishek . He's a (2) pitch pitcher that throws strikes. That's All Folks!!! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Workman will work in the closer role.

Interesting !!    He did look confident yesterday !!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I see him as more of a 7th 8th inning guy.  He has a very nice repertoire of pitches but noting is overpowering.  Then again he does have a good cutter which might possibly play up better in shorter stints.  But when has a relief pitcher ever been good with just a cutter?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Yeah, I say give him a shot in the pen, but not closer just yet. Seemed like he had good stuff and good poise.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Why would we want to use him in the bullpen? I believe he has been just a SP in the minors and has had some success in that role. As far as using him as a closer, I can't see it. He has pitched in what-two ML games? He is not overpowering out there. The gun at the Oakland Coliseum had him maxxing out around 90 with his fastball. I thought he could bring it faster than that, but thats what the gun was reading.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Why would we want to use him in the bullpen? I believe he has been just a SP in the minors and has had some success in that role. As far as using him as a closer, I can't see it. He has pitched in what-two ML games? He is not overpowering out there. The gun at the Oakland Coliseum had him maxxing out around 90 with his fastball. I thought he could bring it faster than that, but thats what the gun was reading.

Because his stuff might play up better there and his mechanics are better suited to be used in shorter stints in the long haul.  Plus the fact that he's been starting means very little as the Sox often bring up guys as starters who they think will be better in relief.  It's all about stretching them out and getting that repitions to let the stuff develop. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

If he had one good start, why suddenly you want to move to the bullpen.  Why not to keep trying to use him as a starter.  If he have another good start on his #2 starts of the year, I would move Dempster to the Bullpen!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The gun must have been different then because hes regulary in the 92-94 range and can hit 95-96. Thats what the gun on TV said Sunday anyway.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

The gun must have been different then because hes regulary in the 92-94 range and can hit 95-96. Thats what the gun on TV said Sunday anyway.

It had Thornton and Balfour in the 94-95 range. I remember reading somewhere that Workman could reach 97 at times, but the gun never showed that. No matter. I think he has earned another start since Buchholtz is still injured. It would not surprise me to see Bucky out until September.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

It had Thornton and Balfour in the 94-95 range. I remember reading somewhere that Workman could reach 97 at times, but the gun never showed that. No matter. I think he has earned another start since Buchholtz is still injured. It would not surprise me to see Bucky out until September.

[/QUOTE]

I hope hes not out until then, but I guess with him anything is possible. I think BW has earned another start. Id like to see how he does with a more patient and productive offense in a smaller park. Maybe an ALE team.

This next statement isnt directed at you PG, but the OP....

As far as a closer role for Workman, I dont see it. His numbers suggest, if he were to move to the pen, that he could be a good 7th or 8th inning guy who could come into the game with runners on. Batters are hitting under .200 against him with runners on which suggests he works good from the stretch. Personally, I just dont see him as a closer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hope hes not out until then, but I guess with him anything is possible. I think BW has earned another start. Id like to see how he does with a more patient and productive offense in a smaller park. Maybe an ALE team.

This next statement isnt directed at you PG, but the OP....

As far as a closer role for Workman, I dont see it. His numbers suggest, if he were to move to the pen, that he could be a good 7th or 8th inning guy who could come into the game with runners on. Batters are hitting under .200 against him with runners on which suggests he works good from the stretch. Personally, I just dont see him as a closer.

[/QUOTE]

I could see Workman making some spot closes...but otherwise I don't see him as a closer either.  I think he's a 7th inning guy who can pitch the 8th 9th some nights to relieve the bullpen and also make some spot starts here and there.  Pretty much Alredo Aceves.....minus the attitude (hopefully) 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

The second half is upon us. I'm sure we'll see pretty quickly if we need a closer. In September we play mostly in our division. Look at the closer situation for the other teams in the ALE. Based on this years performance, I'd say we are in last place. The other (4) teams have better closers than we do. Nothing kills a pitching staff like turning a late inning lead over to the BP only to have them lose it. In my opinion, no closer no post season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

I would say right now we need a starting pitcher and the kid did great in Oakland so I imagine they will start him against the Rays next week at Fenway Park. Maybe later on they will use him in middle relief but I don't see them using him as a closer...not unless a lot of things go wrong.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

It's looking like he'll get at least one more start. Buccholz ain't going to ready anytime soon.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to kannaman's comment:

I would say right now we need a starting pitcher and the kid did great in Oakland so I imagine they will start him against the Rays next week at Fenway Park. Maybe later on they will use him in middle relief but I don't see them using him as a closer...not unless a lot of things go wrong.

Yup.

If Uehara wears out, Bailey will get another shot at the closer spot.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to kannaman's comment:

Middle of Play-off race in Fenway,  against tough AL East foe,better guaging point.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the guy almost pitches a no hitter and you want to relegate him to the pen despite being down a starter?

As always - 100% correct!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

the guy almost pitches a no hitter and you want to relegate him to the pen despite being down a starter?

As always - 100% correct!

Workman has definitely earned at least one more start given the current situation.  But Workman is a guy who profiles as an arm in the pen, and if that is where he may ultimately end up by the end of the year and the trade deadline approaching it's really hard to measure he will be out of the bullpen......without putting him in the bullpen.  I'm not saying 100% lets move him to the pen......but it really is a tough decision.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I still think Workman can be a good middle to back of the rotation starter that will consistently give you 200IP and keep you in the game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I still think Workman can be a good middle to back of the rotation starter that will consistently give you 200IP and keep you in the game.

I've always thought his delivery was to high effort and jerky for him to last long term as a starter.......but then again (and I admit my memory is vague here) he did seem a bit more smooth in his last start.  I haven't seen him pitch since spring training so I'd interested to see what the scouting community thinks of his mechanics now. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

I've always thought his delivery was to high effort and jerky for him to last long term as a starter.......but then again (and I admit my memory is vague here) he did seem a bit more smooth in his last start.  I haven't seen him pitch since spring training so I'd interested to see what the scouting community thinks of his mechanics now. 

[/QUOTE]

He does look more smooth in his delivery. Probably something they have been working on with him. He has a knee buckling 12-6 curveball, good movement on his FB, good cutter and an ok changeup. Still improving. Ive seen him live a few times and I wouldnt say hes destined for the pen just yet.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

We need a starter like Custer needed another Indian. We really need a closer that is unless you feel comfortable with Bailey and Uehara. A shame to come this far and face the second half without a closer. Don't drop the ball Ben.