2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Re: World Series Game 3 Thread: Red Sox at Cardinals

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

With all of the talk about the advantages and disadvantages that each leagues representives have in thier home park, specifically the AL Clubs not having the DH in the National League Parks. Thus forcing the Red Sox (AL club) to sit either Ortiz or Napoli. My querry is does not the same dynamic exist for the Cards who have to choose between Adams and Craig. This year might well be an anomaly given the depth of the St. Louis lineup as opposed to other years and teams but I see it as a wash. Since both teams are going to have to sit a valuable run producing middle of the order bat. 

Tonight's game is a pivotal one that the Sox need to win to take back homefiield...not a must win by any means. It'll be interesting early on to see how both starters fare.

Tonights Starters; Both have had good and bad times this post season. 

Kelly not unlike Wacha is a very good young pitchers but can be wild, would like to see us put a crooked number up in the first and make the kid work. the key is making him pitch to Papi...which means the top of the order has to get on base and whomever's hitting behind him has to make them pay when they do pitch around him. 

Peavy is a savy vet who has to pitch on the black...This game and his perfromance whether Peavy wants to admit it or not will define his season and put a bow on all of the chatter surrounding his acquisition. The key is making them earn thier way on base and keeping the ball in the yard. 

Go Sox! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Embedded image permalink

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Embedded image permalink

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Embedded image permalink

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Game two did a rating of 8.3.  Game two of the 2004 World Series did a 15.9!  

Anyway, GO RED SOX!!!   Laughing

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Embedded image permalink

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Embedded image permalink

[/QUOTE]

Classy St Louis!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With all of the talk about the advantages and disadvantages that each leagues representives have in thier home park, specifically the AL Clubs not having the DH in the National League Parks. Thus forcing the Red Sox (AL club) to sit either Ortiz or Napoli. My querry is does not the same dynamic exist for the Cards who have to choose between Adams and Craig. This year might well be an anomaly given the depth of the St. Louis lineup as opposed to other years and teams but I see it as a wash. Since both teams are going to have to sit a valuable run producing middle of the order bat. 

Tonight's game is a pivotal one that the Sox need to win to take back homefiield...not a must win by any means. It'll be interesting early on to see how both starters fare.

Kelly not unlike Wacha is a very good young pitchers but can be wild, would like to see us put a crooked number up in the first and make the kid work. the key is making him pitch to Papi...which means the top of the order has to get on base and whomever's hitting behind him has to make them pay when they do pitch around him. 

Peavy is a savy vet who has to pitch on the black...This game and his perfromance whether Peavy wants to admit it or not will define his season and put a bow on all of the chatter surrounding his acquisition. The key is making them earn thier way on base and keeping the ball in the yard. 

Go Sox! 

[/QUOTE]

Good post bean.  And valid point.  I actually thought the same thing.  Our hitting lineup is much deeper then st louis and can handle this loss.  Our bench is full of excellent vets who can hit.  Napoli, Gomes, Carp, Ross, Middlebrooks.  Not a bad 5 to choose from.  St Louis doesnt have as much pop in their bats so i truly believe this is advantage Sox.  

i think spotting peavy a lead is important.  I think peavy will give us 6 solid innings.   He isnt pitching to a team like detroit.  He has an auto out with the pitcher and again, that lineup just isnt that deep.  Every player on detroit scared me.  I dont have that feeling with the Cards.  

I also wonder if the Sox are playing up Clays injury.  He potentially could get the game 7 start.   Having Clay be a stud for us in game 4 could swing this thing totally in our direction.  He also could be the stopper should peavy lay an egg.  

Its gonna be fun to watch.  I think this is what the lineup will be.  

Jacoby Shane Pedey Papi Nava Salty Drew Bogey Peavy.  

I predict Drew and Salty break out today.  First avg pitcher we will face in many games.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Embedded image permalink

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

Peavy and Buchholz for Games 3 & 4, that has me worried.  i know that the Cards' pitchers are mediocre but I still don't have a feeling of confidence.  I hope Doubront and Dempster are ready for very long relief.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Scott Miller/CBSSports      

Big Papi asks: "Who the hell wants to watch a pitcher hit?"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Go Sox! 

[/QUOTE]

Good post bean.  And valid point.  I actually thought the same thing.  Our hitting lineup is much deeper then st louis and can handle this loss.  Our bench is full of excellent vets who can hit.  Napoli, Gomes, Carp, Ross, Middlebrooks.  Not a bad 5 to choose from.  St Louis doesnt have as much pop in their bats so i truly believe this is advantage Sox.  

i think spotting peavy a lead is important.  I think peavy will give us 6 solid innings.   He isnt pitching to a team like detroit.  He has an auto out with the pitcher and again, that lineup just isnt that deep.  Every player on detroit scared me.  I dont have that feeling with the Cards.  

I also wonder if the Sox are playing up Clays injury.  He potentially could get the game 7 start.   Having Clay be a stud for us in game 4 could swing this thing totally in our direction.  He also could be the stopper should peavy lay an egg.  

Its gonna be fun to watch.  I think this is what the lineup will be.  

Jacoby Shane Pedey Papi Nava Salty Drew Bogey Peavy.  

I predict Drew and Salty break out today.  First avg pitcher we will face in many games.  

[/QUOTE]

I agree too much is made of the DH and the impact it'll have on the Sox...none of the national pudits have made much of St. Louis also having to make a choice....IMHO the pitching matchups and how well each of the starters fare for the next two games could swing the series one way or the other. I haven't heard any news to confrim one way or the other but there was talk of Wainright pitching on short rest in game four instead of Lynn, who like Kelly can struggle with his fastball command. 

As for our lineup today I might switch it up a bit From yours...

Ells, Victorino, Pedey, Papi, Nava, Salty, Bogaerts, Drew , Peavy...

Basically make em pitch to Boggy if he's hitting in front of the pitcher he won't get much to hit...I don't like both salty and drew hitting back to back both are running bad and stiking out at  a higher than normal rate...

As for Clay and the Sox perhaps playing a little gamesmanship, could be the case...St. Louis, Matheny in particular has been chirping quite a bit about things that don't really matter much. Given the Cardinals struggles to hit lefties all year. I think the idea of having to prepare to face Doubront could cause them to have to game plan for both but in the end it's really not that much of an advatage one way or the other. That said, Doubront could play a role in the next two games if either Peavy or Buccholz struggle early.

End of the day given the quality of both teams pens...you don't want to get into the 7th trailing by more than a run...

I too can't wait..Watching the Sox playing in the world series is always a good way to spend a chilly evening in October..

Go Sox!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

back to the chase...you could look at it as 0-0....first team to three..i've always loved seeing the shift of energy when the series shifts venues..this should be fun...GO BASEBALL!!!...Cool

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

back to the chase...you could look at it as 0-0....first team to three..i've always love seeing the shift of energy when the series shifts venues..this should be fun...GO BASEBALL!!!...Cool

[/QUOTE]

My gut tells me there's a lot of baseball to be played. Both squads are pretty evenly matched. Not that i'm bias but I prefer playing in Fenway.Innocent

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddymon. Show Eddymon's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Embedded image permalink

[/QUOTE]

Dustin Pedroia and Shane Victorino join game 3 starter Jake Peavy for press conference.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddymon. Show Eddymon's posts

In thinking about this the past hour or so, the loss of Napoli in the lineup does hurt, but we also gain the #8 regular season (far better than Naps average) hitter in Nava.    Gain a so far better postseason hitter at catcher who is also better defensively.   Not only that I think Ross is more likely to speak up to tell Peavy what he is doing wrong and have some force behind it.

Gut feeling tells me that Drew has a good night (2 hits) and Boston has a big early offensive outbreak and wins the game 7-3 (perhaps closer to 10 runs) but score at least 7.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

5 more hours...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 53m

Security guy at Busch checked my bag and said, "Cardinals in 5, right?" When I told him I didn't think so, he got mad.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 2h

Cardinals great Willie McGee (67 games for the Red Sox in 1995) has first pitch duties in St. Louis. Colbie Caillat on the anthem.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Boston Red Sox   The time has come to #GetBeard in Saint Louis! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In response to Eddymon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In thinking about this the past hour or so, the loss of Napoli in the lineup does hurt, but we also gain the #8 regular season (far better than Naps average) hitter in Nava.    Gain a so far better postseason hitter at catcher who is also better defensively.   Not only that I think Ross is more likely to speak up to tell Peavy what he is doing wrong and have some force behind it.

Gut feeling tells me that Drew has a good night (2 hits) and Boston has a big early offensive outbreak and wins the game 7-3 (perhaps closer to 10 runs) but score at least 7.

[/QUOTE]

Ross should most definitely be in there tonight.  He takes command of the game and is quite simply the better defensive catcher.  He has also been taking much better swings than Salty in his limited appearances.