Worst free agent signing this winter

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Worst free agent signing this winter

Keith Law says it's Papelbon.  Seems harsh, but he didn't go into detail.

Law - the good one, not the fools polluting this site - generally thinks "closers" are overvalued, but Papelbon has been consistently good/great for years....he isn't that old, the contract is "only" 4 years.

I look forward to hearing his rationale.  Any insights?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Worst free agent signing this winter

Can't be.  Pujols is a solid $75M overpaid, and that's more than Paps contract.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to Re: Worst free agent signing this winter:
    [QUOTE]Can't be.  Pujols is a solid $75M overpaid, and that's more than Paps contract.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

True. I also think the Fielder contract is yet another Boras coup....how many potential landing places were there for Fielder?  While Vmart's injury opened a (1-year) gap, the Tigers effectively just signed the 1977 George Scott to play 3B....at best!

But I respect Keith Law's judgement and will ask him his reasons for the comment.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There's a whole school of thought, including the staunch followers of WAR, that believe the closer role is vastly over-rated (and overpaid).

Here's my bottom 10 signings (rough draft)

1) P. Fielder $214M/9
    2) A. Pujols  $254M/10
    3) J. Reyes   $106M/6
    4) CJ Wilson $77.5M/5
    5) C. Beltran $26M/2
    6) M. Cuddyer $31.5M/3
    7) J. Kubel  $15M/2
    8) Coco Crisp $14M/2
    9) Willingham $21M/3
    10) Willie Mo Pena $5M/2

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

2 years / $10mill for Chris Capuano, hands down the worst deal of the winter.

Why go all out on a multi-year deal for resurrection project Capuano when Oswalt and Jackson are going to have to settle for less?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Why go all out on a multi-year deal for resurrection project Capuano when Oswalt and Jackson are going to have to settle for less?
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

It's all about timing, same reason Paps made %50M and Madson went from ~$44M to $8.5M.  It's the reason I was happy to see Ben going with the BBQ method (low and slow).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Worst free agent signing this winter : It's all about timing, same reason Paps made %50M and Madson went from ~$44M to $8.5M.  It's the reason I was happy to see Ben going with the BBQ method (low and slow).
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Philly was very aggressive, but at least Papelbon is a frontrunner among all MLB closers.  Madson was the CJ Wilson of the closer free agent crowd, a guy looking to cash in big on very little actual accomplishments.  He did not deserve to get big money.  (I do agree wih Keith Law that the position of closer is immensely overrated.)

But Capuano belongs in the Jeff Francis / Rich Harden collection of pitchers.  These guys usually get minor league deals with incentives.  Capuano looks like his payday will top Oswalt's...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

His rationale is pretty clear.  First off, they gave him way more than any other closer on the market got, and more years.  In addition, they had to give up their first round pick because they signed him before the rule change.  They could have brought both Ryan Madson and Brad Lidge back this year, for $11 million combined, less than Papelbon got, and for 3 years less.  And they didn't seem to have a ton of competition for him.  But I honestly don't think this was based on the closer being an overrated position, I think it was specifically in comparison to others at his position, and the draft pick. 

Teamwise, I didn't think the Phillies problem last year was the closer.  Madson, playoffs included, did his job. The Phillies had the best record in baseball, and Madson didn't give up a single run in the postseason.  If they were going to make a splash, it should have been either a 3B to replace Polanco, a SP to replace Oswalt (although maybe they are comfortable with Worley), or a LF to replace Ibanez (I don't know if they still believe in Dominic Brown).  Papelbon is a really good closer, he didn't fix a problem with the team, and he's not THAT big an improvement over Ryan Madson IMO.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]His rationale is pretty clear.  First off, they gave him way more than any other closer on the market got, and more years.  In addition, they had to give up their first round pick because they signed him before the rule change.  They could have brought both Ryan Madson and Brad Lidge back this year, for $11 million combined, less than Papelbon got, and for 3 years less.  And they didn't seem to have a ton of competition for him.  But I honestly don't think this was based on the closer being an overrated position, I think it was specifically in comparison to others at his position, and the draft pick.  Teamwise, I didn't think the Phillies problem last year was the closer.  Madson, playoffs included, did his job. The Phillies had the best record in baseball, and Madson didn't give up a single run in the postseason.  If they were going to make a splash, it should have been either a 3B to replace Polanco, a SP to replace Oswalt (although maybe they are comfortable with Worley), or a LF to replace Ibanez (I don't know if they still believe in Dominic Brown).  Papelbon is a really good closer, he didn't fix a problem with the team, and he's not THAT big an improvement over Ryan Madson IMO.
    Posted by Skadude22[/QUOTE]

Good analysis.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

[QUOTE]Can't be.  Pujols is a solid $75M overpaid, and that's more than Paps contract.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Probably should distinguish between pitchers and position play.  People are coming to the park every day to see a Fielder (I think he is the truly overpaid of position players) or Pujols so there is that "return" plus their ability to impact a game daily.  With a pitcher, either it's once every five days or if/wehn needed from the pen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Fielder, hands down.  Pujols will still have draw power when his skills start to decline, because he will be chasing records.  Fielder will likely not be a serious draw late into his contract; he'll be 28 a month into the season - his father's last above-average season came at age 32.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]2 years / $10mill for Chris Capuano, hands down the worst deal of the winter. Why go all out on a multi-year deal for resurrection project Capuano when Oswalt and Jackson are going to have to settle for less?
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

I missed this one. It is the worst, but I went with the huge overpays at my top.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Phillies had the best record in baseball, and Madson didn't give up a single run in the postseason.  If they were going to make a splash, it should have been either a 3B to replace Polanco, a SP to replace Oswalt (although maybe they are comfortable with Worley), or a LF to replace Ibanez (I don't know if they still believe in Dominic Brown). 

You mean we could have traded them Youk and CC?

(Just kiddin')