Would you advise the Red Sox to send in their 20 M posting fee?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Would you advise the Red Sox to send in their 20 M posting fee?

If you were in charge of the Red Sox player decision making process would you send in the team's 20 M posting fee for Tanaka today?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Re: Would you advise the Red Sox to send in their 20 M posting fee?

Yep....I would, why not?  If he doesn't sign here then no lost cash. The only current starting pitchers right now that we have for after this season is Lackey, Buch and Doubie.  I'm sure Lester will be resigned but with Lackey being dangled as trade bait, I see no reason why we don't at least post the guy and try to make a decent offer....especially when we never know what er're going to get from Buch each year it seems.  A rotation of Lester, Buch, Tanaka, Lackey, Doubie is NASTY.  Peavy and Dempster can be used as trade commodities for added depth or maybe a real center fielder.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you were in charge of the Red Sox player decision making process would you send in the team's 20 M posting fee for Tanaka today?

[/QUOTE]

Yep....I would, why not?  If he doesn't sign here then no lost cash. The only current starting pitchers right now that we have for after this season is Lackey, Buch and Doubie.  I'm sure Lester will be resigned but with Lackey being dangled as trade bait, I see no reason why we don't at least post the guy and try to make a decent offer....especially when we never know what er're going to get from Buch each year it seems.  A rotation of Lester, Buch, Tanaka, Lackey, Doubie is NASTY.  Peavy and Dempster can be used as trade commodities for added depth or maybe a real center fielder.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

See what teams are in it 1st. Check their Payrolls, study, see what your options are. Plenty of time.

Some crazy moves might be available, because of this guy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

It's my understanding that only the team that ultimately signs Tanaka will have to pay the $20 million fee...is that correct?

If so, then there's no reason not to at least test the waters, much like any other free agent. I doubt we sign him, but Ben will certainly be involved in some way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

See what teams are in it 1st. Check their Payrolls, study, see what your options are. Plenty of time.

Some crazy moves might be available, because of this guy.

[/QUOTE]

Posting is completely anonymous as far as I know so we would not be able to see who is in on him until posting is complete near the end of January.  I agree that the Sox are in a great position which is why I see no issue with posting for him.  If they don't sign him then fine.....our depth in pitching just got A LOT more enticing for a lot of teams.  It's kind of a win win....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's my understanding that only the team that ultimately signs Tanaka will have to pay the $20 million fee...is that correct?

If so, then there's no reason not to at least test the waters, much like any other free agent. I doubt we sign him, but Ben will certainly be involved in some way.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed and yes, you're correct, only the team that signs him forks over the $20mil.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I would expect almost every team in ML Baseball to post the 20MM.....it cost you nothing to do so. The Sox should do so without a doubt.....and they should be onvolved in Negotiations with him , if only to drive up the price for the Yankees or whoever.....in a Cap world it is a competetive advantage to have other teams overpay for talent, because it shortens the mid season market for available players. I cannot say how good this guy is...having nver seen him, but if reports are to be believed, I would try and sign him.....you can never have too much Quality pitching.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Thought I saw on Twitter, Teams that are Posting the 20 million.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

it would be irresponsible/negligent not to.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would expect almost every team in ML Baseball to post the 20MM.....it cost you nothing to do so. The Sox should do so without a doubt.....and they should be onvolved in Negotiations with him , if only to drive up the price for the Yankees or whoever.....in a Cap world it is a competetive advantage to have other teams overpay for talent, because it shortens the mid season market for available players. I cannot say how good this guy is...having nver seen him, but if reports are to be believed, I would try and sign him.....you can never have too much Quality pitching.

[/QUOTE]

I too think the Sox will summit a bid and be in the mix...Although the concept of "driving up the price" is counter intuitive in that it ultimately sets the market for all like players. Thus making it more expensive to re-sign your own. The more prudent approach is to make the player and the agent a fair market value offer that fits within your teams budget and if another team exceeds those terms. Tip your cap and move on. I'm not convinced that Tanaka is a break the bank talent, but surely will command a deal north of 20M.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think you send in the fee, but when it comes down to offering a contract it has to be a relatively short one-3-4 years max. We all know what can happen when long term contracts are offered to players, especially players who have never played a single game in the US major league.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think you send in the fee, but when it comes down to offering a contract it has to be a relatively short one-3-4 years max. We all know what can happen when long term contracts are offered to players, especially players who have never played a single game in the US major league.

[/QUOTE]

Might as well not even bid then. at 25-26yo he will get no less than 6 years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We don't send the posting fee, unless we win the bidding.

My guess is he gets at least $100M/7.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I too think the Sox will summit a bid and be in the mix...Although the concept of "driving up the price" is counter intuitive in that it ultimately sets the market for all like players. Thus making it more expensive to re-sign your own. The more prudent approach is to make the player and the agent a fair market value offer that fits within your teams budget and if another team exceeds those terms. Tip your cap and move on. I'm not convinced that Tanaka is a break the bank talent, but surely will command a deal north of 20M.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think Tanaka is a break the bank talent either.  The Sox should absolutely submit their bid.  But while he would be a nice addition to the staff at a reasonable cost, the Sox are deep enough in starting pitching that it would not make much sense to break the bank for him. 

I think other teams are going to offer more than the Sox are willing to pay.  I am more concerned about the length of the contract that he will command, rather than the dollar amount per year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We don't send the posting fee, unless we win the bidding.

My guess is he gets at least $100M/7.

[/QUOTE]

I think you're about 40M short....I think the minimum starts at 18 and could go as high as 22 per...remember if 12 teams post he negotiates with all of them...He has all of the leverage. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Mark Feinsand         @FeinsandNYDN Follow

MLB spokesman says teams do not have to place a formal $20M bid. They simply must be willing to pay Rakuten $20M if they sign Tanaka.

11:45 AM - 25 Dec 2013

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

it would be irresponsible/negligent not to.

[/QUOTE]

at the same time it would be a waste of time

at this point

I just don't see the sox out bidding  ALL the others on a long term contract

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

They'd be foolish if they didn't put up the posting fee and try to sign him.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]Mark Feinsand         @FeinsandNYDN Follow

MLB spokesman says teams do not have to place a formal $20M bid. They simply must be willing to pay Rakuten $20M if they sign Tanaka.

11:45 AM - 25 Dec 2013[/QUOTE]

Thats big.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Mark Feinsand         @FeinsandNYDN Follow

11:45 AM - 25 Dec 2013[/QUOTE]

Thats big.

[/QUOTE]

so right now all teams are talking to him just like a free-agent...and whoever thinks the red sox can't out bid other teams is silly...the red sox have money to spend...they just want to do it on the right player.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

so right now all teams are talking to him just like a free-agent...and whoever thinks the red sox can't out bid other teams is silly...the red sox have money to spend...they just want to do it on the right player.

just 2 B clear

I wasn't thinking can't

I was thinking more like they won't / they don't need 2

plus the fact they R very happy with the thought of not having to

sign any FA to long terms deals

is it not  larrys lastest mantra

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

It is a wash IF he ends up with the Sox.  The posting fee is 31M less than Dice-K's, but the resulting contract will be more.

There are no easy answers to this: he could be another Dice-K = a noose in his final 3 years.  Or Darvish = so far worth every penny.

5 years max.  I think it's gotten to the point that with ALL these big names  you have no choice but to overpay and pray you get 3 good years out of them.  If it results in a title, somehow it balances the team ledger at the end of the day.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great big NO !!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great big NO !!!

[/QUOTE]

You don't have to pay until you sign the player. Why not?