Would you advise the Red Sox to send in their 20 M posting fee?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Would you advise the Red Sox to send in their 20 M posting fee?

post the money

offer what you think he's worth

negotiate up a little if you are close

see what happens.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I agree with one of the poster saying that most teams are involve with him.  He ll just look for the best contract offer he can find and then sign with the team.  

Hopefully Seattle wins the sweepstake and keep him from going to the Yankees.

I do not think Boston want to spend a ridiculous money on him.  Maybe they can just drive the price up if the Yankees really want him badly!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We don't send the posting fee, unless we win the bidding.

My guess is he gets at least $100M/7.

[/QUOTE]

I think you're about 40M short....I think the minimum starts at 18 and could go as high as 22 per...remember if 12 teams post he negotiates with all of them...He has all of the leverage. 

[/QUOTE]

I think you are right on the 18MM to 22MM per, but I think teams will be talking 5 years with him not 7....so the 100MM might be the right Ballpark...No Japanese starter has had a successful 5 year period....though we will see if Darvish holds up. Nomo had a long career but after his 3-4 years with the Dodgers he was a back of the rotation guy....and you cant pay 20MM per for that......Darvish got 6/56 with the posting fee making the Average Annual about 18MM per....and I think he was more highly rated than Tanaka. Thye may give him 7 years but at a less AAV.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you were in charge of the Red Sox player decision making process would you send in the team's 20 M posting fee for Tanaka today?

[/QUOTE]

Great big NO !!!

[/QUOTE]

You don't have to pay until you sign the player. Why not?

[/QUOTE] Iwouldn't offer 20 mil for the whole league. Why should we suckers have to forfit money to sign a player who we have no  idea what that player would do and if he's worth the millions he wants.Then you need special language coaches to translate for him. Maybe we should set a rule that any AMERICAN  that want to play overseas  teams will need to post money to get player... Here that Youk ?.... If you build it they will come!!!!... Not if you pay them  they will come.  Field of dreams  should be free or maybe we can get a real good player during a blue light special.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

In response to tomnev's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would expect almost every team in ML Baseball to post the 20MM.....it cost you nothing to do so. The Sox should do so without a doubt.....and they should be onvolved in Negotiations with him , if only to drive up the price for the Yankees or whoever.....in a Cap world it is a competetive advantage to have other teams overpay for talent, because it shortens the mid season market for available players. I cannot say how good this guy is...having nver seen him, but if reports are to be believed, I would try and sign him.....you can never have too much Quality pitching.

I too think the Sox will summit a bid and be in the mix...Although the concept of "driving up the price" is counter intuitive in that it ultimately sets the market for all like players. Thus making it more expensive to re-sign your own. The more prudent approach is to make the player and the agent a fair market value offer that fits within your teams budget and if another team exceeds those terms. Tip your cap and move on. I'm not convinced that Tanaka is a break the bank talent, but surely will command a deal north of 20M.

[/QUOTE] I'm just trying to figure out what fair market value actually is for a guy who was 25-0 with one save and an ERA of 1.23, he also had a ridiculous whip so I don't know where the market level will begin. I'm guessing but I think he's going to receive an offer of north of 5years @50mil+, so with that as a known number what would any team have to really pay? I'm guessing the Yankees are going to offer 7 years at 15 mil per and this might freeze out the competition. My sleeper team for landing Tanaka is Seattle, but were I Ben C. I definately check in with the 20 mil posting fee, as it doesn't cost a dime if they don't negotiate a contract, and maybe they force the NYY too spend even more money than they want. I was watching today's MLB tonight and Joel Sherman says that it will take something in the neighborhood of 130 mil to sign Tanaka over 7 years. That would make all the FA's left on the market happy...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I just have one question before I answer.

Does he throw a gyroball?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Nope but maybe Theo and the Cubs will come up with another imaginary pitch.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

If Seattle lands this guy and he is as good as mostly everybody says he is. Read Scouting reports he has negatives. Mariners will have one of youngest strongest Starting Staffs, in all of Baseball.

And some good Prospects in the Minors.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Nope but maybe Theo and the Cubs will come up with another imaginary pitch.

[/QUOTE]

the pitch is not imaginary. Dice-k just couldn't throw one. pretty big difference IMO.

i know it's neither here nor there or even relevant to the point you are making but i had to correct you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Post him, pay him whatever he wants, and if it turns out he sucks, after a year, trade him to the Dodgers or the Nets.  They'll take anybody.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'd have Uehara and Tazawa call him, describe what a WSC is like in Boston, then offer him $75M/5.  Then see what happens.  If no one tops it, which is unlikley, we're fine.  If our offer creates a feeding frenzy for the other interested teams, then at least no one gets him cheap.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Post him, pay him whatever he wants, and if it turns out he sucks, after a year, trade him to the Dodgers or the Nets.  They'll take anybody.

[/QUOTE]

Good one......Now thats a guy who's thinking.......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

the pitch is not imaginary. Dice-k just couldn't throw one. pretty big difference IMO.

i know it's neither here nor there or even relevant to the point you are making but i had to correct you.

[/QUOTE] I started pitching a baseball in 1956 never ever heard of the infamous gyropitch before DiceK alledgedly threw one. Never saw one thrown by DiceK or anyone else for that fact. Just thought I'd school you on the subject it is a pitch used in Japan and it was created in a lab by Ryutaro Himeno, I'm still waiting for the pitch to be thrown in the USA!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Are you kidding?  It would be idiotic if any team didn't post the max fee....it's not a commitment.....plus the posting fee isn't part of the luxury tax calc...plus:

24-0, 1.27, .943 WHIP.  25 years old.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

If you were in charge of the Red Sox player decision making process would you send in the team's 20 M posting fee for Tanaka today?

[/QUOTE]

Without doubt the Sox should get into the mix.

That said I see him signing with the Yanks.

Why? They have the greatest need at this time and a fan base that expects it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

5/$125 for both him and Lester. Lackey 500k for 2015. Buch signed for 2015. Tons of young depth on the way. 

I would take the shot

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

at least get in the running..........drive price up. Yanks are desperate though.......they will overpay.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

at least get in the running..........drive price up.

can't see how that is possible considering how many teams willl be involved

Yanks are desperate though.......they will overpay.

asked U the otherday

in your world is there a difference between overpaying and offering the most

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd have Uehara and Tazawa call him, describe what a WSC is like in Boston, then offer him $75M/5.  Then see what happens.  If no one tops it, which is unlikley, we're fine.  If our offer creates a feeding frenzy for the other interested teams, then at least no one gets him cheap.

[/QUOTE]

I was just about to post something similar.  Being a/the top team, being based in a cosmopolitan, if small, city, and having a strong Japanese connection is a significant advantage for the Sox, IMO.

It's not the same as moving from Cleveland to Seattle if you're a Yank, or from Tokyo to Osaka if you're Japanese.  It's a big cultural change and is often a factor in such decisions.  In the football (soccer) world, it's no secret that many top players simply do not want to live in crappy provincial cities....they want to live in London.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Do whatever it takes; else moan about it when he facing Lester at Fenway in September (or, whenever)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I know huh?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I am told I am not allowed to use Dice K as an example to forming to a decision on whether or not I would send a 20M posting fee because it would be racist to do so. 

How can I make a move if I cannot use other players of similar situations from the past to form an opinion?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from exdodgerfan. Show exdodgerfan's posts

Post the fee and sign him:

The red sox are long starting pitchers and it's in the club's interest to drive up the price

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Can you imagine if Sandy was a Free Agent in his Prime today? Geeeez.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

I don't think the Yankees have the advantage as they would have in years past due to the definite lack of an immediate future of winning and the fact that plenty of other teams can offer what they might offer.