Would you go all in for Cano as a Sox acquisition?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Would you go all in for Cano as a Sox acquisition?

Cano is hands down one of the top 5 position players in baseball today. The $30 M contract is the new $20- 25 M contract of 2-6 years ago.

We need a 1 B, SS, 3B, CF---Cano could be re-positioned to play 1 or 3 B or you could move Pedroia to 3 B and keep Xander at SS. You could move WMB to 1B. Therefore--1B-WMB/Carp ,2B Cano, SS Xander, 3B Pedroia.

Sign one added player--Rajai Davis for CF in case JBJ doesn't work out.

You also have Nava and Gomes in LF Vic in RF and Ross and AJ behind the plate.

If you sign Drew and Nap for one year each you may be looking at $25-30 M. Cano is a game changer. Ortiz likes him others will get use to him.

Do you do it? How many times has it gone the other way? Ells, Damon, the Rocket, Youk.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Would you go all in for Cano as a Sox acquisition?

NO CHANCE. It would be the dumbest signing in history if the Sox gave him an 8/200M deal...And you want to switch him across the diamond and play him out of position? No...Just...No

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to MadMc1944's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cano is hands down one of the top 5 position players in baseball today. The $30 M contract is the new $20- 25 M contract of 2-6 years ago.

We need a 1 B, SS, 3B, CF---Cano could be re-positioned to play 1 or 3 B or you could move Pedroia to 3 B and keep Xander at SS. You could move WMB to 1B. Therefore--1B-WMB/Carp ,2B Cano, SS Xander, 3B Pedroia.

If you sign Drew and Nap for one year each you may be looking at $25-30 M. Cano is a game changer. Ortiz likes him others will get use to him.

Do you do it? How many times has it gone the other way? Ells, Damon, the Rocket, Youk.

[/QUOTE]

I would love to have Cano but lets face it's simply not a good business decision without a lot of hidden clauses built in, maybe not even then.  There are certain players you need tpo stay away from and they are more often than not associated with guys like BOR-SS.  JAYZ will be probably the next agent to steer away from.

Let the Dodgers, Yankees and Angels have them.  If we can grab Kemp for 90mil or less without giving up too much it could be a steal but there are always risks with any big trade.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

First of all, Clemens was a Blue Jays when he was traded to the Yankees.  Youkilis was traded to the White Sox and then he signed with the yankees just for one year.  He have done nothing with the Yankees last year.  Same with Ruth, Sparky Lyle, etc who were all traded to the Yankees.   So it is the front management fault for trading them. 

Damon is not a homegrown player for the Red Sox.  He previously played for KC, and Oakland before he became a Red Sox player.  Then he went to the Yankees for more money.

Right now in past many years, players just go to the Yankees for $$$$$$$!!!  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

nope. 

As good as his #'s are at the Fens, the co$t is too high. 

and we have a better 2b to begin with.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

This will kill Pedey's heart.  Sox gave him $100M but give Yankees 2B a $200M?? Loco... don't even think about it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Ugh...no.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

We need a 1 B, SS, 3B, CF---Cano could be re-positioned to play 1 or 3 B or you could move Pedroia to 3 B

you'd want to possibly put your flat out best postion player(also league's best 2B) out of position, to  aquire another of the league's best and possibly play him out of position also???

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Too much, even before position changes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

you'd want to possibly put your flat out best postion player(also league's best 2B) out of position, to  aquire another of the league's best and possibly play him out of position also???

[/QUOTE]

Hey Jete how ya doing??

I would bet if the Sox ever considered signing Cano (and they won't) he'd be the guy that would change positions, not Pedroia since 5'9" players don't make the best corner infielders, especially 1B.

So what was your take on the Ellsbury signing?? $153 million is crazy money for him if you ask me, and the reason that Boras didn't sit waiting for better offers he knew would never come.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

I want Cano but it won't work.............best 2nd scenario is for him to leave for West Coast.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think you can make an argument for putting Cano at 3B or 1B.  He has the arm for thrid, and he would be more valuable there than at first. 

I don't think we should go all out for Cano, but with his bat, defense, and track record I would be comfortable putting in a bid to at least keep the market honest. 

Lets say 7/155 million.  If he happens to take it then great.....but he probably won't.  But at the very least we will keep the bidding for him above that 22/M a year 6/7 year mark. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

lets also keep in mind that not only salaries are going up, but revenue to mid market and smaller market teams is also on the rise.

The CBA expires in 2016....and the salary cap is going up.  It won't up about 18 million last time, I'm not sure if it goes up more than that, but I think there is a good chance that we have 3 years at 189 and then new cap will be over 200 million. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think you can make an argument for putting Cano at 3B or 1B.  He has the arm for thrid, and he would be more valuable there than at first. 

I don't think we should go all out for Cano, but with his bat, defense, and track record I would be comfortable putting in a bid to at least keep the market honest. 

Lets say 7/155 million.  If he happens to take it then great.....but he probably won't.  But at the very least we will keep the bidding for him above that 22/M a year 6/7 year mark. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree on that offer...........Yankees might have unlimited $$$ but make them use it.........worse case we end up with a very good player (just don't think he wants to play out of position)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree on that offer...........Yankees might have unlimited $$$ but make them use it.........worse case we end up with a very good player (just don't think he wants to play out of position)

[/QUOTE]

Yankees don't have unlimited money, they just have a lot of money.  They also had an ownership who understood that if you have the market you spend the money because you make that money back in post season revenue, and other streams of income.  

That system has been partially hampered, but the Yankees haven't learned their lesson.  Spending was always a business decision for them, and now that cost of doing business has just gone up by 10's of millions on the Yankees it will be very interesting to see how the next couple years play out for the bronx bombers.....especially if they miss another playoff or two. 

But yes.....lets at least drive up the price on them. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey Jete how ya doing??

I would bet if the Sox ever considered signing Cano (and they won't) he'd be the guy that would change positions, not Pedroia since 5'9" players don't make the best corner infielders, especially 1B.

So what was your take on the Ellsbury signing?? $153 million is crazy money for him if you ask me, and the reason that Boras didn't sit waiting for better offers he knew would never come.

[/QUOTE] hey SDog!!..what's doin....i agree 1,000%..it's only right Pedroia would stay anchored at 2B..my point is just that i think it's also a disservice to play Cano out of position, plus Robbie's not too much taller than DP to begin with..lol..as for Ells, i like him and think he's a good player, but the contract is too long and the $$ too much...but he's here, so my hope is that he is healthy much of the season, and performs well over the first stage of the deal...i think he can...we'll know soon... 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Cano is not going to sign somewhere to play 3B, unless the offer blows all others away.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I wouldn't go all out but I would put a reasonable bid in for him. I wouldn't let the Yankees sign him for chump change!!! Offer him 25 a year for 5 years, or whatever Pedey is making per year for the same length of Pedey's contract. Would I like to see him in a Sox uniform? You bet ya! I'm not a fool, and it's a great way to say back at you NYY. I only wish Rivera had agreed to sign with the Sox 2 years ago! The only question with Cano is can he switch positions to SS, 3B or 1B? Because regardless of his signing I never take Pedey out of the 2B position as long as he wants to play the position.

The other thing the Sox can do is just drive the price up beyond ridiculous....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Correct, push his cost up so it will crowd the yanks for pitcher funding.  I doubt he will go to Seattle, it aint exactly  sunny southern California

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

No ill will Seattle Pat, I like Seattle very much!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Correct, push his cost up so it will crowd the yanks for pitcher funding.  I doubt he will go to Seattle, it aint exactly  sunny southern California

[/QUOTE]

or a hitters park

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Prediction: Cano signs with the Yankees. BDC posters say, " Good. We don't need him. Too much money and too long a deal. " 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Prediction: Cano signs with the Yankees. BDC posters say, " Good. We don't need him. Too much money and too long a deal. " 

Does anyone expect him to sign elsewhere???  the yankees bid against themselves all the time.  and they never lose against who they are bidding against.  lol.

as for length of contract....anything over 5 years for anyone is too long.  be it Cano, Pedroia, Pujols, Ruth, Williams, or Abner flippin' Doubleday.