Would you take a flyer on Lowe?......if he was released

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Would you take a flyer on Lowe?......if he was released

It's time for the Indians to release Derek Lowe and Johnny Damon since the veterans are not producing enough to justify their roster spots, Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer writes. Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Would you take a flyer on Lowe?......if he was released

I never woulda let him walk.........

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I would pay Derek Lowe 20 million / year to pitch on this team if he was 47, with a 7.9 ERA.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Does anyone remember him coming out of the bullpen to close out the series against oakland in 2003?  Those pitches that darted inside and caught Long (??) looking for strike 3 w the bases alone...

One of my favorite red sox memories.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Would you take a flyer on Lowe?......if he was released:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone remember him coming out of the bullpen to close out the series against oakland in 2003?  Those pitches that darted inside and caught Long (??) looking for strike 3 w the bases alone... One of my favorite red sox memories.
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

he did that twice in the series - pitch in relief

also, in 1999 he came in like the 3rd inning to pitch relief and he was the set up man!!

G5 of 2003 ALDS - Tek said the Long AB was the best sequence he ever saw....I don't think I was ever more nervous watching that AB..........

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you take a flyer on Lowe?......if he was released : he did that twice in the series - pitch in relief also, in 1999 he came in like the 3rd inning to pitch relief and he was the set up man!! G5 of 2003 ALDS - Tek said the Long AB was the best sequence he ever saw....I don't think I was ever more nervous watching that AB..........
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

I remember exactly where i was (sophmore year in my dorm at bentley college), exactly who i was with (2 of my 3 roomates).  That may be my best red sox memory of all time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you take a flyer on Lowe?......if he was released : he did that twice in the series - pitch in relief also, in 1999 he came in like the 3rd inning to pitch relief and he was the set up man!! G5 of 2003 ALDS - Tek said the Long AB was the best sequence he ever saw....I don't think I was ever more nervous watching that AB..........

wish i could find a link to the at bat on youtue

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you take a flyer on Lowe?......if he was released : wish i could find a link to the at bat on youtue

I got it on tape!

I have quite the collection and that is one of the games I have - it was the only game in the series that I recorded

I was on my couch in my first home and could barely stand to watch....it was excruciating

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

the president of my company is a huge red sox fan.  But she didnt understand why I had a poster of derek lowe in my office (last year).  I had to explain, "I love Lowe and I promise that it wasnt because he was a womanizer"

I also have a poster of cocoa crisp.

I love anybody who takes a swing at james shields

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]the president of my company is a huge red sox fan.  But she didnt understand why I had a poster of derek lowe in my office (last year).  I had to explain, "I love Lowe and I promise that it wasnt because he was a womanizer" I also have a poster of cocoa crisp. I love anybody who takes a swing at james shields
     LOL

name a baseball player who doesn't cheat on their wife?  i knew the security gauard for the yankees in 2001 and told me some stories - the entire team cheated in every city they went to except for PEDittee - he preferred to cheat in different ways.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Would you take a flyer on Lowe?......if he was released:
    [QUOTE]It's time for the Indians to release Derek Lowe and Johnny Damon since the veterans are not producing enough to justify their roster spots, Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer writes. Thoughts?
    Posted by Iceman4[/QUOTE]

So, if I read this right, you think CL, who has no pitching, should release Lowe, because he stinks.  And then should we pick him up?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i would take a shot on lowe if he gets released. Aaron cook is horrible and the sox need pitching and failed to get some at the deadline. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattb5fon. Show mattb5fon's posts

Now we get a chance he was DFA'd an hour ago...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

BenC. see if you can do a multi player Masterson and Lowe back to Boston--both want to be here---unusual--for an A Salem prospect and 1/3 of Beckett's salary each year. The Indians get a pitcher that doesn't want to be in Boston with a career 4 or under ERA for $10 M a year.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]I never woulda let him walk.........
    THIS

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I would take him and DFA Cook!!  Cook is now becoming a worthless pitcher for the staff just like Bedard last year.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In a heartbeat.  The only pitcher on the staff whom I feel is reliable right now is Buch.  The rest are .500 pitchers or worse.  Would Lowe be any worse?  (which, admittedly, is poor criteria to use. :-)  )

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE] In a heartbeat.  The only pitcher on the staff whom I feel is reliable right now is Buch.  The rest are .500 pitchers or worse.  Would Lowe be any worse?  (which, admittedly, is poor criteria to use. :-)  )
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

But probably Lowe could do whole alot better than Cook!!!   

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Looked at a posting on the Cleveland site..a Braves fans was laughing at the Cleveland fan saying they were glad they got rid of him. Is he really that bad now?? I would like to take a flyer on him even if it is just for a change..our pattern of win/losses isn't changing right now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

WEEI

"Former Red Sox pitcher Derek Lowe was designated for assignment by the Indians, and Cherington indicated there is some interest from the Sox.

"Derek obviously had a great run here," Cherington said. "We'll take a look at it. But we still need to focus on the guys here. We have great respect for Derek and what he did. We'll take a look at it. If it makes sense to pursue, we'll do so. That will be on the agenda today. But we still feel like we have the potential solutions internally for our rotation."

Hey Ben,

Who are those internal options?  Aaron Cook is serving batting practice in his last three outings and Josh Beckett 'injured his back fat' (term coined by Michael Felger). 

Why not take a flyer on Lowe?  The Red Sox have the 5th worst starters ERA (4.89) in ALL OF BASEBALL (ahead of only the Rockies - 6.38, Twins - 5.51, Royals - 5.40 and Indians - 4.96).  I suppose that you could make the argument that the Indians cut Lowe and they have a worse starter's ERA (and their terrible ERA is partly to do with Lowe).

I would still make the move as maybe Lowe can take the guys out, get them drunk and happy after the games and loosen up the clubhouse.  I guess I just want to see him pouring drinks at the Cask again....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Please pick him up...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you take a flyer on Lowe?...... Tek said the Long AB was the best sequence he ever saw....I don't think I was ever more nervous watching that AB..........

I was more nervous w/ Tek catching Wake in extras of Gm 5 of the ALCS v. NYY.  With a dude on 3rd.  I feel like every pitch squirted away a little.

I think they might've DFA'd him since his ERA has risen from 3.06 to 5.49 since beg of June.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

just for the insurance guy or long relief he might be worth having....has the experience.....anybody know if he would come cheap? Not for signing him after this year...but may to close it out.