Would you trade Buch for Masterson?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Would you trade Buch for Masterson?

It would be a trade good for both teams: change of scenery for Buch and Masterson would return home to a place he liked pitching in. 

Just a thought as Masterson is about to go to a hearing and Buch is in the middle of his extension.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Re: Would you trade Buch for Masterson?

I would not. Masterson is nasty but I don't think you can trade Buch. If healthy his stuff is some of the best in the game. the healthy part is the question of course, but I don't see how you can give up on him now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

for what he's getting paid, Buccholz represents good value to a team even if he spends half the season on the D.L.  Masterson is good, but he's very up and down and his cost is about to start rising big time....I'm happy with Buccholz.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

The fans who clammor to have Masterson back seem to only think about his good years...

2010: 180 innings, 4.70 ERA, 1.50 WHIP

2011: 216 innings, 3.21 ERA, 1.28 WHIP

2012: 206 innings, 4.93 ERA, 1.45 WHIP

2013: 193 innings, 3.45 ERA, 1.20 WHIP

He has been healthier than Buchholz, but certainly not more consistent. Given his recent pattern, you might get better numbers out of Dempster in 2014.

I'll take my chances with Buch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

2 out of those 4 years he pitched like a back of the rotation starter, I gurantee he would be disliked in Boston a 1/3 of the fan base that expect every pitcher to be an ace.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

NO!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Masterson is a Free Agent after this season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

Masterson is a Free Agent after this season.

The disparity in team control is the deal-breaker.

This year Justin Masterson will be paid $8.05 million or $11.8 million (or between if the parties settle) while Clay Buchholz earns $7.7 million in 2014 and $12 million in 2015 with team options for 2016 and 2017.

Oliver projects five-year WARs of 2.8, 2.8, 2.8, 2.6 and 2.6 for Masterson, who turns 29 next month, and 1.9, 2.0, 1.8, 1.8 and 1.8 for Buchholz, who turns 30 in August.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=2038&position=P#longprojection

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=3543&position=P#longprojection

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wouldn't trade a half season of Buch for 2 full seasons of Masterson.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wouldn't trade a half season of Buch for 2 full seasons of Masterson.

[/QUOTE]

Nicely said

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

No chance.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

No

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

NO

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

NOPE.

NO.

NEGATORY.

NAH UH.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The fans who clammor to have Masterson back seem to only think about his good years...

2010: 180 innings, 4.70 ERA, 1.50 WHIP

2011: 216 innings, 3.21 ERA, 1.28 WHIP

2012: 206 innings, 4.93 ERA, 1.45 WHIP

2013: 193 innings, 3.45 ERA, 1.20 WHIP

He has been healthier than Buchholz, but certainly not more consistent. Given his recent pattern, you might get better numbers out of Dempster in 2014.

I'll take my chances with Buch.

[/QUOTE]

if Masterson's current trend continues, that is a 5-6 year $75-100M contract he is playing to

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to MadMc1944's comment:

It would be a trade good for both teams: change of scenery for Buch and Masterson would return home to a place he liked pitching in. 

Just a thought as Masterson is about to go to a hearing and Buch is in the middle of his extension.

Given the state of the current contracts of our starters, only Lackey, Dobront and Buccholz are signed beyond this year or under the teams control through 2015. Masterson a free agent after this year fits the timeline for us to sign him, if we don't extend Lester, so we could conceivably have both. 

That siad, Buccholz doesn't need a change of scenery, he needs to stay healthy. Durability is the only thing that stands in the way of Clay separating himself from the middle of the pack in WAR values, which places a premium on innings pitched for starting pitchers. Which is perhaps the single greatest tangible and where Clay due to fragility falls short...

Last season Buccholz started 16 games' pitched 108 innings, going 12-1 with 1.74 ERA striking out 96 with 36 walks and a whip of 1.02 and an opponents batting average against of .199. his War was 20th for pitchers in MLB last year @ 4.29 (Masterson was 33rd @ 3.4). Just for arguments sake, if we simply double Clay's starts (32) and innings pitched (216) which is the expected norm for a top of the rotation starter. He's in the conversation for CY Young and would have been among the pitching leaders in WAR. He's that good. 

http://espn.go.com/mlb/war/leaders/_/type/pitching/year/2013

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]That siad, Buccholz doesn't need a change of scenery, he needs to stay healthy. Durability is the only thing that stands in the way of Clay separating himself from the middle of the pack in WAR values, which places a premium on innings pitched for starting pitchers. Which is perhaps the single greatest tangible and where Clay due to fragility falls short...

Last season Buccholz started 16 games' pitched 108 innings, going 12-1 with 1.74 ERA striking out 96 with 36 walks and a whip of 1.02 and an opponents batting average against of .199. his War was 20th for pitchers in MLB last year @ 4.29 (Masterson was 33rd @ 3.4). Just for arguments sake, if we simply double Clay's starts (32) and innings pitched (216) which is the expected norm for a top of the rotation starter. He's in the conversation for CY Young and would have been among the pitching leaders in WAR. He's that good. 

[/QUOTE]

You nailed it perfectly, BT. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]That siad, Buccholz doesn't need a change of scenery, he needs to stay healthy. Durability is the only thing that stands in the way of Clay separating himself from the middle of the pack in WAR values, which places a premium on innings pitched for starting pitchers. Which is perhaps the single greatest tangible and where Clay due to fragility falls short...

[/QUOTE]

You nailed it perfectly, BT. 

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the kind words Hlfx. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

No chance. Half of Buch is better than all of Masterson.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Is it possible for the Red Sox to trade away a young player and NOT have fans pine for him throughtout his entire eternal mediocrity? 

How about the Sox try to re-acquire Chris McGuiness?  If I start that movement, I expect it to catch on...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would not. Masterson is nasty but I don't think you can trade Buch. If healthy his stuff is some of the best in the game. the healthy part is the question of course, but I don't see how you can give up on him now.

[/QUOTE]

No, I would trade to bring back Masterson at some point if we need SP, but not to replace Clay.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Not even close, imo.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is it possible for the Red Sox to trade away a young player and NOT have fans pine for him throughtout his entire eternal mediocrity? 

How about the Sox try to re-acquire Chris McGuiness?  If I start that movement, I expect it to catch on...

[/QUOTE]

How about Nick Hagadone?

And there was also a caller on The Baseball Show last night who wanted the Sox to bring back Iglesius.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Jorge de la Rosa