Would you trade Lackey for younger prospects ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Would you trade Lackey for younger prospects ?

I ask this because the Dbacks really need, and are looking for a Pitcher like Lackey to solidify their rotation. At an average of 8.5M a year for 2 years, hes a great bargain. He would do well at Chase Field too.

The Dbacks have loads of good young pitching, as well as position players, and are willing to deal some of their prospects for pitching. Im sure we could always add to the deal, but I think the Sox and Az match up good. Just a thought.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Re: Would you trade Lackey for younger prospects ?

In a heart beat, or at least try to trade Peavy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I would. 1 smart Trade could mean years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

With a strong farm and 2-3 added draft choices coming our way this spring, I don't think we should be looking to deconstruct our roster any more than it already will be with the loss of 4 big names.

I might trade Peavy for some good prospects, but then I'd probably look to deal some youth to fill a much needed slot on the big club.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With a strong farm and 2-3 added draft choices coming our way this spring, I don't think we should be looking to deconstruct our roster any more than it already will be with the loss of 4 big names.

I might trade Peavy for some good prospects, but then I'd probably look to deal some youth to fill a much needed slot on the big club.

[/QUOTE]

My thinking is we can get something really good back and have the extra $$ to fill another need or 2. Lackey is a perfect sell high candidate. Who knows how he will be the next 2 years in his mid 30's.

Ok, just play along...What kind of deal would you make if you called them?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Excellent thinking, now can you work something out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Im looking at their MLB players and prospects as well as ours. It wont just be Lackey going to Az. If you google diamondbacks depth chart, you can see who they have and off to the right you can see their top 20 prospects.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Matt Stites would be a nice start.  Probably too high, need Scouts to look at their Lower Levels.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Matt Stites would be a nice start.

Stites or barrett as a closer or back end BP arm.

If we added someone to the deal, maybe we could get someone like Davidson and move him to 1b. Just thinking out loud here. not sure they would let their #2 go though. We could use an OF'er.

This is a perfect situation for a 3 team type deal. maybe get another team involved. Its complicated, but could work. let me think a bit and figure out what team would be a good fit to get involved...

wheres Notin when you need him Wink

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Im looking at their MLB players and prospects as well as ours. It wont just be Lackey going to Az. If you google diamondbacks depth chart, you can see who they have and off to the right you can see their top 20 prospects.

[/QUOTE] Well if that's the case then Lackey isn't going anywheres! Our system trumps AZ's system as we are the #1 minor league system in baseball. 4 guys in the top 100 hard to beat and we have exra pitching already sitting at the MLB level. So in order for a team to get one of the veterans we already have they have to pony up! About the only 2 things we don't have ready to perform at the MLB level is a catcher but we have 2 less than a year away, we are lacking at 1B as the nearest guy is Travis Shaw and he is ticketed for Pawtucket this year. I just don't see a match where the Sox would give up a proven MLB pitcher with a controllable contract at a cut rate 10 mil average over 2 years, and then throw anything else in  the deal, I could see a team in need offering several prospects for Lackey, Peavy and Dempster. Cripes The Angels might offer more than most teams as they just lost Vargas.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Well if that's the case then Lackey isn't going anywheres! Our system trumps AZ's system as we are the #1 minor league system in baseball. 4 guys in the top 100 hard to beat and we have exra pitching already sitting at the MLB level. So in order for a team to get one of the veterans we already have they have to pony up! About the only 2 things we don't have ready to perform at the MLB level is a catcher but we have 2 less than a year away, we are lacking at 1B as the nearest guy is Travis Shaw and he is ticketed for Pawtucket this year. I just don't see a match where the Sox would give up a proven MLB pitcher with a controllable contract at a cut rate 10 mil average over 2 years, and then throw anything else in  the deal, I could see a team in need offering several prospects for Lackey, Peavy and Dempster. Cripes The Angels might offer more than most teams as they just lost Vargas.

[/QUOTE]

They have a ton of pitchers in their system. I think we need some OF help as JBJ and maybe Brentz are about all I would consider close in our system. After that, theres not much. Shaw is a longshot. It might take a 3rd team. but just because we have a better farm then theirs, although theirs is pretty stacked as well, doesnt mean we couldnt work a deal with them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Sox are defending champs with one of yhe best minor league systems in MLB..  

If they trade Lackey, do it for major league talemt, not prospects...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Sox are defending champs with one of yhe best minor league systems in MLB..  

If they trade Lackey, do it for major league talemt, not prospects...

[/QUOTE]

maybe both?

Adam Eaton + Barrett?

Just throwing names out there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Lackey has only been good one season for the Red Sox... SELL HIGH.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

KC might br a logical third party---they have some bullpen arms that could add to our depth. OR why go through the D'Backs just direct with KC. Perhaps enlarge the trade Lackey, WMB and Nava for two pieces that could help us. I don't know their team that well--perhaps Collins and Hosmer with a prospect.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Not me.  I'd like to try to win it all again next year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lackey has only been good one season for the Red Sox... SELL HIGH.

[/QUOTE]

He's also only had one season since he had the surgery he obviously needed. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

[/QUOTE]

+ 1 more

NFW do I trade John Lackey. 

If we want to dump a pitcher (or two) my first choices would be Peavy, Dempster, and/or maybe even Dubront.  Lackey is currently our #2 pitcher, and while it can be said that we don't know what he's going to bring next year we also know that last year, is BEST year, is the year he came off surgery.  Therefore he has a good chance of remaining our #2 pitcher - and for cheap money.  Good pitching, especially cheap good pitching, is a valuable commodity and not one I want to give to some other team.

We have what other teams need... good pitching.  That's not a reason to give up our best pitcher(s) when we don't have to.  Let's give up our #'s 4 & 5 for what we can get.  Giving up our #2 weakens the rotation too much. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But would substituting Dempster for Lackey be a deciding factor?  I estimate a 2-win difference.  What about the Lackey savings being spent elsewhere?  How many wins would Davidson be worth over 6 years?  And what other l/t solutions do we have at 1B?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from oscars. Show oscars's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

[/QUOTE]

+ 1 more

NFW do I trade John Lackey. 

If we want to dump a pitcher (or two) my first choices would be Peavy, Dempster, and/or maybe even Dubront.  Lackey is currently our #2 pitcher, and while it can be said that we don't know what he's going to bring next year we also know that last year, is BEST year, is the year he came off surgery.  Therefore he has a good chance of remaining our #2 pitcher - and for cheap money.  Good pitching, especially cheap good pitching, is a valuable commodity and not one I want to give to some other team.

We have what other teams need... good pitching.  That's not a reason to give up our best pitcher(s) when we don't have to.  Let's give up our #'s 4 & 5 for what we can get.  Giving up our #2 weakens the rotation too much. 

[/QUOTE]

+1

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

I had thought people came to like this team. Now I see  a lot of fans who want to get rid of talent and bring in a bunch of B-list pieces. 
    The rational seems to be that the talent is too expensive. Or if the talent is not expensive it should be traded away because affordable contracts are easy to move. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

At this point, I am glad that John Lackey is signed up to pitch for the Red Sox.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

KC might br a logical third party---they have some bullpen arms that could add to our depth. OR why go through the D'Backs just direct with KC. Perhaps enlarge the trade Lackey, WMB and Nava for two pieces that could help us. I don't know their team that well--perhaps Collins and Hosmer with a prospect.

[/QUOTE]

They are not letting go of Middy yet. Not happening. He will be our starting 3b in 2014. Besides KC is set a 3b in MLB and in MiLB.

KC is a decent option though, with Hocheaver and another piece. They were talking about Butler, but his Defense is atrocious.

Im just throwing suggestions out there. Im not so sure they would even consider letting Lackey go unless its a very good return. They dont HAVE to move him and realistically have a better shot with him. But coming off a great return (comeback player of the year IMO) Hes a perfect sell high candidate.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

We have a healthy Lackey under contract for the next two years at well below market value. Lost on many is beginning in 2015 Lackey, Buccholz and Doubront are the only starters that are under contract. As such Cherinton will need to begin to put a plan in place to bolster the rotation heading into the 2015 season. I understand we have a number of highly regarded prospects. The only way I would even consider trading him is if we sign Lester to a long term extension and get a young proven middle of the order bat back in return. As in someone that has already proven that they're major league ready and under the teams control for a minimum of 3 years or signed to a longer term extension. One that has already bought out a couple of years post arbitration.