Would you trade Lackey for younger prospects ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KurtColorado. Show KurtColorado's posts

Re: Would you trade Lackey for younger prospects ?

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I ask this because the Dbacks really need, and are looking for a Pitcher like Lackey to solidify their rotation. At an average of 8.5M a year for 2 years, hes a great bargain. He would do well at Chase Field too.

The Dbacks have loads of good young pitching, as well as position players, and are willing to deal some of their prospects for pitching. Im sure we could always add to the deal, but I think the Sox and Az match up good. Just a thought.

[/QUOTE]

No, I miss some of the urgency involved with not winning a series. Lackey is too important. He was  one of our most consistent pitchers last year. Sure I'd trade Peavy or Dempster in a heartbeat. We have Workman , Ranaudo,Barnes and others ready for a shot in the rotation, but just as we don't want to " fall in love with our veterans" we don't want to dismiss their importance either. With Bucholtz seemingly fragile, and rookies never a sure thing, let's keep our top three.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to KurtColorado's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No, I miss some of the urgency involved with not winning a series. Lackey is too important. He was  one of our most consistent pitchers last year. Sure I'd trade Peavy or Dempster in a heartbeat. We have Workman , Ranaudo,Barnes and others ready for a shot in the rotation, but just as we don't want to " fall in love with our veterans" we don't want to dismiss their importance either. With Bucholtz seemingly fragile, and rookies never a sure thing, let's keep our top three.

[/QUOTE]

+1 good post.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to KurtColorado's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I ask this because the Dbacks really need, and are looking for a Pitcher like Lackey to solidify their rotation. At an average of 8.5M a year for 2 years, hes a great bargain. He would do well at Chase Field too.

The Dbacks have loads of good young pitching, as well as position players, and are willing to deal some of their prospects for pitching. Im sure we could always add to the deal, but I think the Sox and Az match up good. Just a thought.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So you wouldnt accept a haul that the Royals gave the Rays last year for 2 years of Shields? Interesting.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Diamondbacks do not have a concensus top 5  hitter in their system, especially one ready to start in MLB, and are therefore incapable of matching thst package.

Their top prospect is AA RHP Archie Bradley, who has received the untouchable label and, as a pitcher, is less likely to see MiLB success translate into MLB success..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Diamondbacks do not have a concensus top 5  hitter in their system, especially one ready to start in MLB, and are therefore incapable of matching thst package.

Their top prospect is AA RHP Archie Bradley, who has received the untouchable label and, as a pitcher, is less likely to see MiLB success translate into MLB success..

[/QUOTE]

Doesnt have to be the Dbacks...Matt Davidson looks to be pretty solid though. Hes a 3b, but can move to 1b by all reports. Its the return that matters, not so much the team it comes from.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

So you wouldnt accept a haul that the Royals gave the Rays last year for 2 years of Shields? Interesting.

[/QUOTE]

Another interesting question:  Would the Rays have been a better team in 2013 if they'd kept Shields?

The argument can be made that the loss of Shields (3.15 ERA, 1.2 WHIP)  was what kept the Rays from going even deeper into the PO's. (is that blasphemy?)  :-)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to S5's comment:

[QUOTE]

Another interesting question:  Would the Rays have been a better team in 2013 if they'd kept Shields?

The argument can be made that the loss of Shields (3.15 ERA, 1.2 WHIP)  was what kept the Rays from going even deeper into the PO's. (is that blasphemy?)  :-)

[/QUOTE]

This is why I posed the question. Lots of good valid points being made. The Rays had injuries to 3 of their starters, including Price and Wil Meyers was ROTY. You cant predict injuries, just like you couldnt predict the Sox winning the WS. Good question S5.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Lackey's W-L record would have been better with more run support. He's too valuable and is too good a $ value.

If any starting pitcher is dealt it will be  Peavy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lackey's W-L record would have been better with more run support. He's too valuable and is too good a $ value.

If any starting pitcher is dealt it will be  Peavy.

[/QUOTE]

That value you speak of is the same value other GMs see. I'm not saying I prefer to trade Lackey over Peavy or Dempster, but the return for Lackey would be way higher than the others. 

We have to look at what the offers are side-by-side to truly judge what trade we think is best.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Imagine if the Sox decided to go all out for 2015 and beyond at the expense of 2014?

Extend Lester.

Trade all players not in our plans for 2015 and/or beyond:

Ortiz

Peavy

Dempster

Gomes

Uehara

Ross

Morales

Miller

Maybe even Lackey

We'd still have a core of...

C: Lava/Butler/Vazquez (Swihart/Denny)

1b: Carp (Almanzar/Longhi/Shaw)

2b: Pedroia/Holt (Betts/Coyle/Rijo)

3b: Middy/Cecchini

SS: Bogey/Marrero/Lin

LF: Nava/Castellanos/Hassan (de la Cruz)

CF: JBJ (Ramos)

RF: Victorino/Brentz

SP: Lester, Buch, Doubront, Webster, Ranaudo, Owens, Barnes, Wright (L Diaz)

RP: Tazawa, Breslow, Workman, Britton, Villareal, Badenhop, de la Rosa, Wilson

Add 4 good draft picks and some non QO free agents...

Wink