Wow! Middlebrooks Ties Ted in 1939 Record!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Wow! Middlebrooks Ties Ted in 1939 Record!

Gordon Edes@GordonEdes

"Middlebrooks, BTW, joins Ted Williams as only Sox players to have at least 14 HRs, 52 RBIs in the first 72 games of their career"
    This kid is special!
    Also becoming a great 3rd baseman.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Wow! Middlebrooks Ties Ted in 1939 Record!

dont hear much whining about youk lately..who was at .258 last time i checked in CWS

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Thus thread began in praise of Will Middlebrooks, who plays on our team.
    However, since some choose to mourn a former player, Marco Scutaro, knocked in 7 runs tonight for the SF Giants.They traded him to clear money, as if they were a small market team. He sure would have been a better utility guy than Punto.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Wow! Middlebrooks Ties Ted in 1939 Record!:
    [QUOTE]Thus thread began in praise of Will Middlebrooks, who plays on our team. However, since some choose to mourn a former player, Marco Scutaro, knocked in 7 runs tonight for the SF Giants.They traded him to clear money, as if they were a small market team. He sure would have been a better utility guy than Punto.
    Posted by rightymclefty[/QUOTE]Is that you pike? Cool

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I've got 2 things to say!

YOOOOOUUUUUUKKKKKK!

and the guy was given away. This was all about his relationship with BV and BV wanting to take absolute full charge of the clubhouse. Be dictator in chief. My way or the highway. 

Youk has played much better since he left. He clearly could have helped us if we kept him. Right hand bat. Gets on base. Could be playing instead of Papi right now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]As Keith Moon once said, "Youk's big head will drag him down like a lead zeppelin." _________________________________ Curt Schilling Deadbeat Fraud Clown
    Posted by bellhorn_[/QUOTE]Did Keith Moon really say that?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Youks:  .205 over the last month of play

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]I've got 2 things to say! YOOOOOUUUUUUKKKKKK! and the guy was given away. This was all about his relationship with BV and BV wanting to take absolute full charge of the clubhouse. Be dictator in chief. My way or the highway.  Youk has played much better since he left. He clearly could have helped us if we kept him. Right hand bat. Gets on base. Could be playing instead of Papi right now.
    Posted by RedsoxProspects[/QUOTE]

I can't understand the we should have kept Youk supporters.

The Youk trade was about Youk, and not BV.  The cases of Lowell and Posada demonstarte that who the manager is, is secondary.   The difference in the Youk case is that he wanted to be moved, and of course,  it came down to money.

Lowell and Posada acted like spoiled children, but they weren't playing for another contract.  Youk wanted to play full time b/c that was the only chance he had to get a decent contract.   He would have squealed like a stuck pig if he was made a part-timer.  Ego and cash considerations are always at the forefront of a player's mind.

Letting WB play has paid massive dividends, just look how much smoother he looks at third (just like Boggs grew into the role defensively).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Since joining the White Sox, Kevin Youkilis has hit .260 with a .383 on-base percentage and .895 OPS.
    those are good numbers for a lead off guy w/no power - not a third basemen....
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

You are well qualified to teach children to be clueless.  An adult writes, "Ok, Youk has had great power with Chi, I was wrong".

Let me explain how OPS is calculated.   .895 OPS  -  .383 OBP  =  .512  SLG

127 AB  /  9HR  =   14  AB / HR  which less than 10 qualified MLB batters have better rates. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Moon,

Sometimes it's in the best interest of both parties to move on. In the case of Youkilis it was clearly addition by subtraction. One can quible over his value to the team at the time of the trade. I tend to disagree that the Sox got "fleeced". Given his lackluster start to the season along with his second half of last year and the money's he was owned. His trade value on the open market was next to nil. The aquiring team had to weight the risk of his not regaining his form, along with his contract status and his propensity to spend time on the DL.

Entering the season. The hope was that Youk would regain his form, come back strong and be the righthanded middle of the order 900 OPS guy he was previous to last years All Star break...Unfortunately for him and the Sox, he never did. Had he, they don't trade him and Middlebrook's is still in AAA.

What can't be understated in this is that after getting called up. Middlebrook's outplayed and out hit Youk. In the end, trading Youkilis served to put end to the day to day speculation over who was our starting 3rd baseman. It also allowed Gonzalez to move back to first and ended the log jam where Valentine had to juggle the lineup to get everyone the requist at bats. Thus In the best interest of the kid's development. Youkilis had to go even if it meant for pennies on the dollar...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

This guy is going to be a very good player for, I hope, a long time. But, pleeeese, let's not start comparing his first swason (in any category) to Ted Williams.

In 1939, at the ripe old age of 20, Williams had 145 rbi, 31 home runs, and 107 BB vs 64 SO.

Will, this year already has 68 strikouts and has walked a grand total of 13 times

Oh, yes, he also hit .327 and was 4th in the MVP balloting

So, let's hold the trophys and comparisons until there is something to compare. Right now, there isn't anything to compare.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]Since joining the White Sox , Kevin Youkilis has hit .260 with a . 383 on-base percentage and .895 OPS. those are good numbers for a lead off guy w/no power - not a third basemen.... Posted by georom4[/QUOTE] Y ou are well qualified to teach children to be clueless.  An adult writes, "Ok, Youk has had great power with Chi, I was wrong". Let me explain how OPS is calculated.   .895 OPS  -  .383 OBP  =   .512  SLG 127 AB  /  9HR  =   14  AB / HR  which less than 10 qualified MLB batters have better rates. 
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

i like the way you ignore my other post....he hasnt hit more than 20 homeruns since 2009....his avg right now is .245...his avg this month is barely over .200...the fact that you decided to whine about youk in a thread congratulating Middlebrooks for matching Ted Williams shows how pathetic you are...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I can't understand the we should have kept Youk supporters.

I can't understand hiow you can't understand us.

The Youk trade was about Youk, and not BV.  The cases of Lowell and Posada demonstarte that who the manager is, is secondary.   The difference in the Youk case is that he wanted to be moved, and of course,  it came down to money.

Trades should be about making our team better, not making a player happy, a manager happy, or our top WC contender exuberantly happy and paying them to be so.

Lowell and Posada acted like spoiled children, but they weren't playing for another contract.  Youk wanted to play full time b/c that was the only chance he had to get a decent contract.   He would have squealed like a stuck pig if he was made a part-timer.  Ego and cash considerations are always at the forefront of a player's mind.

Of course he wanted to play FT, like every player in MLB and the minors. This is not some new dilema in baseball: player upset he is not playing FT. It happens everyday on every team. The difference is, the Boston media warped this into some kind of big controversy, and Ben jumped the gun and got nothing for Youk, and paid the CWS to have one of the best hitters vs RHPs over the last 1, 2 3, 4 or whatever years you want to look at.

Fact: As it turned out, Youk could have played nearly everyday without benching anyone.

Letting WB play has paid massive dividends, just look how much smoother he looks at third (just like Boggs grew into the role defensively).

I don't know one Youk supporter who wanted Middlebrooks benched so Youk could play everyday. What I did hear a lot of, not from you, tom, was that having Youk on the bench was putting undo pressure on Middlebrooks that could effect his production. Has Middlebrooks done any better or worse since Youk was dealt? What I did hear from many trade Youk supporters was that trading Youk would help cure the cancerous clubhouse. I'm still seeing cancer in the clubhouse rants almost daily- again, mostly media generated. I did hear that playing AGon in RF was playing with fire. I gotta love how Kalish has done so far as compared to Youk with Chicago.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Nobody is comparing Middlebrooks to Williams.However, the FACTS are, he and Williams share the fastest to 15-54.
    If you want to see a flash in the pan rookie season, look up Walt Dropo.
    6'5" 240lb. 1st baseman. Right handed. Out of UConn.
    The fans must've thought he was the new Jimmy Foxx.
    34 Hrs. 144 RBI, .322 BA and he only struck out 45 times!
    He never came anywhere near those numbers again.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon,

Sometimes it's in the best interest of both parties to move on. 

I have moved on.

In the case of Youkilis it was clearly addition by subtraction. One can quible over his value to the team at the time of the trade. I tend to disagree that the Sox got "fleeced". Given his lackluster start to the season along with his second half of last year and the money's he was owned. His trade value on the open market was next to nil. The aquiring team had to weight the risk of his not regaining his form, along with his contract status and his propensity to spend time on the DL. 

Your idea of clearness is as milky as it gets. Clearly, Youk filling in for the injured Middlebrooks, AGon, and now Papi would have been light years better than what we have had instead.

Entering the season. The hope was that Youk would regain his form, come back strong and be the righthanded middle of the order 900 OPS guy he was previous to last years All Star break...Unfortunately for him and the Sox, he never did. Had he, they don't trade him and Middlebrook's is still in AAA. 

I know the history. Youk was coming off a difficult injury, and Ben jumped the gun. He gave up on a hitter with great recent history who was basicallystill  in ST. If we had gotten something good in return, or not had to pay almost all of his deal, then there could be an argument for tading him before the deadline, but neither were true.

What can't be understated in this is that after getting called up. Middlebrook's outplayed and out hit Youk. In the end, trading Youkilis served to put end to the day to day speculation over who was our starting 3rd baseman.

1) Please stop implying I wanted Middlebrooks benched or platooned. I did not.
    2) There was no "day-to-day speculation", or at least didn't have to be if BV did the right thing- named Middlebrooks the FT 3Bman.
    3) Day-to-day speculation can be a motivating factor or a distraction. What makes you so sure it was the latter and not the former? Nobody knows, and that is why I am not using these sorts of arguments to make my point.

It also allowed Gonzalez to move back to first and ended the log jam where Valentine had to juggle the lineup to get everyone the requist at bats. 

Line-ups have been just as jumbled since the trade. Our RF has been a revolving door complete with several failed experiments (Kalish). Ben shoud have at least waited until CC & Ells came back or the deadline. He couldn't have done much worse in trade return then.

Thus In the best interest of the kid's development. 

Again, a  totally unfounded psoition. History is full of examples where rookies did well and won the job with the vet breathing down his neck.

Youkilis had to go even if it meant for pennies on the dollar...

The media invented the "have to go" hype story, and you bought it. I didn't.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Please stop implying I wanted Middlebrooks benched or platooned. I did not. 

You wanted Middlebrooks in AAA, on opening day. I wanted Youk traded over the winter. 

My God, you are such a liar!  You blasted me for wanting to trade Youk "when his value was low". You blasted me for wanting to trade Youk when we got AGon, saying that "playing 3B will not increase his chances of getting hurt, but rather will lessen the chances". You are a compulsive liar.

Once that didn't happen, I wanted Youk platooned in the smallest OF position because his game performances were terrible when he wasn't on the DL. You are correct that writing off Youk in a summer giveaway was a mistake. You are wrong in thinking that Youk had any business being the Red Sox everyday 3B'man for 2012.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

When Youk came off the DL, it was obvious to everyone that Middlebrooks was and should remain the FT 3Bman. I never advocated bencing him for Youk. I mentioned that Youk could play 3B when Middlebrooks needed rest, DH when Papi needed rest, and 1B when AGon needed rest or played RF. We tried Youk in the OF once before. If you bothered to watch the games, you'd know AGon is 100 times better in the OF than Youk.

You never mentioned putting Youk in the OF until after Middlebrooks was called up- never at the start of the season. Your revisionist history is full of lies. You bashed people for wanting Middlebrooks on the big club early this year. Your lying never ceases.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nobody is comparing Middlebrooks to Williams.However, the FACTS are, he and Williams share the fastest to 15-54.
    If you want to see a flash in the pan rookie season, look up Walt Dropo.
    6'5" 240lb. 1st baseman. Right handed. Out of UConn.
    The fans must've thought he was the new Jimmy Foxx.
    34 Hrs. 144 RBI, .322 BA and he only struck out 45 times!
    He never came anywhere near those numbers again.

Remember the last time someone mentioned Ted Williams in the same sentence with an upcoming prospect?

It was Johnny Pesky talking about Jacoby Ellsbury, and softy went ballistic to the point that he believed every Sox fan agreed with Pesky.

His obsession with righting this "wrong" has now continued for years.

Where's the softy outrage now?

Will softy now bashthe " Will-Da-Beast"  for the next 6 years? I know he didn't go to a "leftist indoctrination" college, but there's enough similarities to softy to take the bait.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Will's a Texas kid with a big personality.I think he's very likeable, and not in the pink hat-Ellsbury way, either.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Crawford and Beckett are from Texas also.

What color are their hats?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The "Will-Da-Beast" is off to a great start in just 278 PAs. It's still early to know for sure just how good Will is or will become, but you gotta like these numbers pro-rated to 650 PAs:

.292  34  125  (.847 OPS)

Some big plusses:
    last 7 days: .938
    Home/Away OPS: almost even (.841/.853)
    RISP: .996
    Men on base: 1.021
    High Leverage: .887
    vs NYY: .871 

Some possible problem areas?

OPS vs RHPs: .776
    OPS trend by month: .922> .836> .785 > .755 
    OBP: .327
    OPS Late & Close: .627
    BA batting 4th or 5th: .228
    Ks: 1 per game started

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

[QUOTE]Nobody is comparing Middlebrooks to Williams.However, the FACTS are, he and Williams share the fastest to 15-54. If you want to see a flash in the pan rookie season, look up Walt Dropo. 6'5" 240lb. 1st baseman. Right handed. Out of UConn. The fans must've thought he was the new Jimmy Foxx. 34 Hrs. 144 RBI, .322 BA and he only struck out 45 times! He never came anywhere near those numbers again. Remember the last time someone mentioned Ted Williams in the same sentence with an upcoming prospect? It was Johnny Pesky talking about Jacoby Ellsbury, and softy went ballistic to the point that he believed every Sox fan agreed with Pesky. His obsession with righting this "wrong" has now continued for years. Where's the softy outrage now? Will softy now bashthe " Will-Da-Beast"  for the next 6 years? I know he didn't go to a "leftist indoctrination" college, but there's enough similarities to softy to take the bait.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]That's what i fear with ells. One hit wonder.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]
    Moon,

Sometimes it's in the best interest of both parties to move on. 

I have moved on.

You and I have nothing to do with it.

In the case of Youkilis it was clearly addition by subtraction. One can quible over his value to the team at the time of the trade. I tend to disagree that the Sox got "fleeced". Given his lackluster start to the season along with his second half of last year and the money's he was owned. His trade value on the open market was next to nil. The aquiring team had to weight the risk of his not regaining his form, along with his contract status and his propensity to spend time on the DL. 

Your idea of clearness is as milky as it gets. Clearly, Youk filling in for the injured Middlebrooks, AGon, and now Papi would have been light years better than what we have had instead.

So if I'm reading the above correctly? You were an advocate to keep Youkilis. My point whether you want to agree with it or not had nothing to-do with whether or not Youkilis could have been useful member of the team.

I know the history. Youk was coming off a difficult injury, and Ben jumped the gun. He gave up on a hitter with great recent history who was basicallystill  in ST. If we had gotten something good in return, or not had to pay almost all of his deal, then there could be an argument for tading him before the deadline, but neither were true.

Youk is a walking poster boy for the injury prone athlete. I've never questioned his ability when healthy. In the end, his struggles since last year to stay on the field due to not one, not two, not three, four different injuries were and are at the heart of why his value on the open market was next to nil. Oh by the way, what do you know he's currently day to day with a bum knee!  So if you scoring at home, make it 5 different injuries.

Moon, we are not privy to the behind the scenes conversations that take place between the player & management. Ben Cherinton's no dummy, and niether is Valentine. I won't pretend that I know more or less than any other avid sox fans about the inner working of the team. 

Don't you find it a tad curious that he struggled to hit and then suddenly found his stroke just by changing the color of his Sox?

What can't be understated in this is that after getting called up. Middlebrook's outplayed and out hit Youk. In the end, trading Youkilis served to put end to the day to day speculation over who was our starting 3rd baseman.

1) Please stop implying I wanted Middlebrooks benched or platooned. I did not.

I was not and have not Implied that you wanted anything. Your position on this is just that yours. I repect that, I also have my own position and will debate the merits of my arguments as long as we can maintian civility. Unlike softy, I'm not keeping score...

2) There was no "day-to-day speculation", or at least didn't have to be if BV did the right thing- named Middlebrooks the FT 3Bman.

Fact is the media both local and national jumped on this train after Middlebrook's started tearing the cover off the ball. In the end, BV did make a choice, that's why Youk's wearing white sox now.

3) Day-to-day speculation can be a motivating factor or a distraction. What makes you so sure it was the latter and not the former? Nobody knows, and that is why I am not using these sorts of arguments to make my point.

I agree and if indeed having Youkilis on the team motivated young Middlebrook's to strive to play harder. I'm all in...if it was indeed a distraction? I'm Ok with his being moved. The Sox didn't have to trade him. They chose to...like it or not my guess is that Youkilis himself played in role in making it so...

synergy; when the results are greater than the sum of the parts...

To that end, I oversee a crew of more than 100 employess. In my more that 30 years of managing, over time I've concluded that there are basically three distinct classes of workers. Great employees, good workers and those needing improvement. Sometimes great employees are not your best workers and often your best workers are not the best employees. To me what separates the great employee from the good worker is the intagables of loyality, accountablility, responsibility, work ethic and how well they intergrate with thier fellow employees and management. A good worker, often is highly productive, but tends to be someone that rocks the boat and requires a higher level of supervision and when called upon to volunteer alway declines...

I don't want to sit here and state that I know which class Youk falls into but his reputation precedes him...see Manny

It also allowed Gonzalez to move back to first and ended the log jam where Valentine had to juggle the lineup to get everyone the requist at bats. 

Line-ups have been just as jumbled since the trade. Our RF has been a revolving door complete with several failed experiments (Kalish). Ben shoud have at least waited until CC & Ells came back or the deadline. He couldn't have done much worse in trade return then.

Not sure that the OF has anything to do with my point...

Since the trade Gonzalez hasn't had to play RF and with Youk gone, Young Middlebrooks has been in the lineup everyday. Which meant that every day when he awoke and took his morning shower, before heading to the park he did so knowing that his name was on the lineup card and he'd be starting at 3rd...Better yet, he do so knowing that earned it by outplaying Youkilis!

Thus In the best interest of the kid's development. 

Again, a  totally unfounded psoition. History is full of examples where rookies did well and won the job with the vet breathing down his neck.

Apparently Middlebrooks got that memo too...My reference to "In the best interest of his development" was is code for the kid has to play everyday and by annointing him the starter. a desination he earned on the field. Sent him the message that the organization trusted that he was the best man for the job! No small issue for a young ball player to know that the manger of the team see you as the best man for the job! 

Youkilis had to go even if it meant for pennies on the dollar...

The media invented the "have to go" hype story, and you bought it. I didn't.

Again, since I have not nor do I for one moment question how you arrive at your conclusions, when making an argument. I would appreciate your not making assumptions on how I reach mine. Each of us are influenced by what we read in the papers and see on TV. I din't buy into the he has to go hype...my conclusion is based purely on the fact that he did go.

FYI I have not read 1 single word written by Mazzarotti since moving to the globe or Shaunsessey for more that a decade now. Because I see both them as the president and vice president of the doom and gloomers club. A club of which I don't want a membership card to.

In closing, Moon you're one of my favorites on this forum and often we don't see thing's the same way. I would also like to add that when I read your post's along with many others on this board. Not unlike the articles written by the baseball writers and the many of the pudits that are paid to give us insights in to the inner workings of the game. Each has a role in shaping my opinions, however, I am not a Lemmings and do not follow anyone over a cliff.

Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Middlebrooks is the "real deal"  That should be his new nick name the "real deal"  

Now I'm no scout, but I like to study trends.  I've looked at some of the best players in the league and studied how they progressed throughout their Major League careers.  Some of the attributes that I found in most star players was breaking into the major leagues at a young age (23) isn't Bryce Harper young, but you could also argue that Will might of been here a year sooner had he played for a second division team (granted we may be heading there now)

A second attribute I found was that often players either maintained their numbers or even improved upon them even with rapid advancement through out the minor league system. 

As of right now Will looks to be a 30 HR 100 RBI guy with an average hit tool.  Not to shabby for a 23 year old rookie.  

One area of concern for me is his strike outs.  I can handle high strike outs with a 30 HR run guy if he gets a few clutch hits and knocks in some runs and plays good defense......and If Will can cut down on that number then he may something REALLY special (notice how I emphasized really)

For what it's worth another player who is following those attributes right now down to a T is Xander Boagerts.  Who may be becoming not just the Sox top prospect but one of the premier prospects in the game.  He hit is first home run for Portland (AA) in his first game since his promotion last night.  Xander is only 19 years old.  Some say the jump to AA is the biggest, regardless one game is way to short to make any assumption but last night was very promising.

Just think about that left side of the infield....under team control.....for years to come. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Not much of a record to tie.  Ted was younger and infinitely better. 

Youk had to go because he was not going to stand for being a backup, period.  He wanted to play every day at one position, which is what he is now doing in Chicago, where he is happy and productive.  He was never going to be happy and productive in Boston after it became clear it was time for Middlebrooks to take over at 3B.  AGon already had 1B covered, and Ortiz DH.