Yankee Owners Stealing Tips from Stadium Employees

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

Yankee Owners Stealing Tips from Stadium Employees

Yankee Stadium Tips Taken By Owners, Servers Allege

By Dave Jamieson

In the more desirable seats at Yankee Stadium, an already pricey $10.50 draft beer will run you an eye-popping $12.60 thanks to an involuntary 20 percent "service fee" tacked on to the original price. If the sticker shock doesn’t make that brew bitter enough, consider this: Despite what you might expect, that extra $2 and change isn't going to the hustling server who sold it to you, according to a new lawsuit.

Legends Hospitality, the concessionaire co-owned by the New York Yankees, the Dallas Cowboys, and Goldman Sachs, allegedly pockets the 20 percent service fee attached to food and drink in violation of New York law, according to a class-action lawsuit filed against the company by three Yankee Stadium servers this week. If certified as class action, the suit could involve more than a hundred servers and hundreds of thousands of dollars in claims.

At the center of the dispute is how hot dogs, sodas and other ballpark fare are served in the stadium's field-level seats, which typically cost between $100 and $350 a game. At field level, fans don't have to fetch their food and drink; they instead can place orders with servers carrying credit-card machines and get the orders ferried to their seats by food-and-drink runners.

Under this arrangement, the servers act a lot like salespeople. "They schmooze the customers, and they're trained to upsell, just like any other waitress," says the plaintiffs' lawyer, Brian Schaffer. "If somebody says, 'I want a hot dog,' they say, 'But wouldn’t you like a cold beer with that?'"

According to the suit, the menus field-level spectators find in their cupholders include this disclaimer: "A 20% service charge will be added to the listed prices. Additional gratuity is at your discretion." That phrase "additional gratuity" would seem to imply that the 20 percent is, in fact, a gratuity, but Schaffer says his clients don’t get that money. Instead, they receive a far more modest commission, between four and six percent, of their total sales for the game.

Schaffer believes the system cheats both vendors and fans -- the vendors by withholding their tips, the fans by artificially inflating prices. "It's pretty unbelievable if you think about what's going on," Schaffer said. "Honestly, I couldn't fathom the profits."

What's worse, Schaffer alleges, is the fact that the servers aren't allowed to explain to fans how the actual arrangement works. "If my clients are specifically asked, 'Where does this 20 percent go?' they can't tell them the truth. They can only tell the customer, 'Additional gratuity is at your discretion.' They can't say, 'It's not going to me.' They can be fired for saying that."

Calls to the Yankees press office and to the union that represents stadium workers were not returned.

Schaffer says his clients are paid a $35 flat fee per shift, plus their commissions, and work every Yankee home game. It adds up to between $14,000 and $20,000 apiece on the year, but the commitment makes it tough to have another job during the baseball season. One of the servers named in the suit, Evelyn Ryan, has been selling food and drink to Yankees fans since 1999, working in both the old Yankee Stadium and the new one.

Legends Management has exclusive rights to selling food at both Yankees and Cowboys stadiums. The Yankees are the most valuable team in baseball, with an estimated value of $1.5 billion, and the Cowboys are the most valuable team in football, with an estimated value of $1.65 billion, according to Forbes. Upon the formation of Legends in 2008, the company's CEO said their goal was to "create a new paradigm in sports concessions that will deliver unparalleled and affordable stadium experiences for fans."

In their suit, the servers may have labor and case law on their side. A New York law says that no employer can "retain any part of a gratuity or of any charge purported to be a gratuity for an employee," and a 2008 appeals court ruling involving World Yacht found that the dining cruise company had illegally withheld tips from servers under a similar "service fee" arrangement.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Yankee Owners Stealing Tips from Stadium Employees

Crix????

What's up with your picture?  Been meaning to ask you for a while.......

Looks offensive to me????

don't want to start a fight, but......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

In Response to Re: Yankee Owners Stealing Tips from Stadium Employees:
    [QUOTE]Crix???? What's up with your picture?  Been meaning to ask you for a while....... Looks offensive to me???? don't want to start a fight, but......
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

A few years ago, The Red Sox teased Ortiz in the clubhouse by putting up a picture of Esther Rolle aka Florida Evans next to a picture of Papi.  That's what it's based on. All in good fun. No offense intended.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Good times???

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Never heard about the boys putting the picture up???  Ok.....

Don't know though????  I could see some taking offense..... & I'm one of the least PC guys around...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

[QUOTE]Never heard about the boys putting the picture up???  Ok..... Don't know though????  I could see some taking offense..... & I'm one of the least PC guys around...

What's offensive?  It's a TV show character's face pasted on Ortiz' body. 

Google "esther rolle david ortiz."  There are a lot of the same lookalike comparisons.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

OK......  You don't see it, I'm not gonna convince you

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

No offense intended....... NO problem

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

[QUOTE]OK......  You don't see it, I'm not gonna convince you

Get a sense of humor, man.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Rumor has it they have been stealing fan also and that's why all the empty seats.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankee Owners Stealing Tips from Stadium Employees : Get a sense of humor, man.
    Posted by crix[/QUOTE]

It's not about a sense of humor..... I have a great sense of humor &  like I say, I'm not necessarily offended.... BUT I can definitely see some people feeling this is a caricature of????

Now, you say it was the guys in the clubhouse.....  If Papi is cool with it, so am I.  Just wondering????

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankee Owners Stealing Tips from Stadium Employees : Get a sense of humor, man.
    Posted by crix[/QUOTE] 

AS I SAID you're talking to the least PC guy around...... 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankee Owners Stealing Tips from Stadium Employees :   AS I SAID you're talking to the least PC guy around...... 

If you don't care to back up your argument, then don't make it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

It appears the the Yankee brass is taking 100% of the 20% mandatory "service fee" for alcoholic beverages.  One would expect the server might be taking this fee home with them at the end of the day, but not in New York where a Yankee Stadium beer costs $10.50+ service fee ($12.60).

Does anyone ever notice its always the more expensive seats in Yankee Stadium that empty out first ... and well before the start of the 8th.

Jose Posada and Derek Jeter are still quality MLB players but both are having poor seasons in respect to their past averages.

Joba "the hut" Chamberlain looks terrible physically - I suppose it was cute to be 22 and over weight, shaggy hair, and old sweaty cap on sideways - not so cute now.

1st game goes to Boston, and there is all the reason in the world to believe we take the series... perhaps a sweep.

Go BoSox!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Ok Crix....

Thought I did back it up....  Many people, especially blacks, would find it offensive without any of the histrionics...  Now, you adequately explained that it came from the clubhouse guys... Still, many would find it offensive & Caricaturistic  This is not a difficult concept, & I'm sorry I had to explicitly explain it.  What do you find so humorous about it?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

sort of funny but old - I already gave crix a very hard time over his avatar two years ago - 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

At first I was just curious.....   You explained....  I tried to explain my concern....  You explained the history... I said NO PROBLEM....  You become needlessly provocative telling me not to make the argument if I don't care to back it up????  Which I had....   Anyway.... Forget about it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

My guess Burrito....

He doesn't want to admit that he likes the caricature???

Like I said, I'm majorly NON PC.....  Like poking fun racially...  Back & forth..... Give & take....  BUT

Also....  I can see the guys on the team doing that?  Totally different for someone outside the clubhouse....  My guess... The guys in the clubhouse would not think he's cute or cool!@

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I wanted to let it go until he decided to be an a hole, telling me "not to make the argument if I don't want to back it up."  After I had made the argument in a conciliatory way.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

[QUOTE]My guess Burrito.... He doesn't want to admit that he likes the caricature??? Like I said, I'm majorly NON PC.....  Like poking fun racially...  Back & forth..... Give & take....  BUT Also....  I can see the guys on the team doing that?  Totally different for someone outside the clubhouse....  My guess... The guys in the clubhouse would not think he's cute or cool!@

Are you offended or not?  You haven't made that clear and keep speaking for others.  I find that offensive. If someone is offended, they will speak for themselves. 

And it's Esther Rolle in the picture, not Aunt Jemima or Little Black Sambo.  I didn't think there was anything offensive about Florida from "Maude" and "Good Times".  It's like it's you who is making that leap and projection.  Maybe you need to check yourself. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I thought I did say it.  yeh...  I do think it's offensive.  Perhaps others don't....  yes, I know who she is.  But Florida from Maude???  you got me.

Perhaps you're right???  Maybe I'm projecting. BUT... If it looks & seems to be a caricature, it very well may be???  I don't know what the guy really thinks?  perhaps he's just shallow & dim witted enough not to give it a second thought?  If you have no clue what I'm saying... No problem.  I don't think I could explain it to you...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Let me re-phrase that with out the euphemistic language, as it seem to be a bit confusing.....

It IS a caricature!  Perhaps you don't get that?  NO problem!  If you don't get that, I don't want to argue.  It would be a waste of time.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

OK....  Gave it some thought!   I really don't want to argue, & I'm sure Crix doesn't mean any offense to anyone!  Sorry for the insinuation & perhaps projection.  Really!

WE NEED TO STICK TO BASEBALL!!!   HEY!  THE SOX JUST BEAT THE YANKEES!

:)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

What exactly are you trying to say?  Embarassed

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

[QUOTE]I thought I did say it.  yeh...  I do think it's offensive.  Perhaps others don't....  yes, I know who she is.  But Florida from Maude???  you got me. Perhaps you're right???  Maybe I'm projecting. BUT... If it looks & seems to be a caricature, it very well may be???  I don't know what the guy really thinks?  perhaps he's just shallow & dim witted enough not to give it a second thought?  If you have no clue what I'm saying... No problem.  I don't think I could explain it to you...

First of all, I’m sorry I didn’t stay up into the early morning hours to debate this pressing issue…

You think I’m an a hole because I ask you to back up your accusation with a simple explanation? Is that really too much too ask? For a person claiming to be un-PC and in possession of a sense of humor, you sure do whine like a hyper-sensitive little baby.

I'm all ears to hear your opinion as to why you think it's offensive, but you won't bother to write anything substantive and back up your claim. You didn't explain anything by saying "some people, such as as blacks, might find it offensive."  That isn't explaining anything about WHY they might think it's offensive.  This usually means that the argument has no merit, if the person making it can't produce anything to support it.

If you have a problem with Esther Rolle's face, and consider it racially offensive, go tell that to her surviving family members. If you have a problem with people comparing her gapped-toothed smile to that of David Ortiz, go tell it to the Red Sox, the ones that played the joke in the first place. Or if you have no problem with it at all, as you claim, then let it go and stop whining.