Yankees in Decline

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Yankees in Decline

Yes...the Yanks made big splashes through free agency by signing Jacoby Ellsbury, Brian McCann, and Carlos Beltran. But, they also lost their best player in the process, Robinson Cano...and their all-world closer, Mariano Rivera, to retirement. They're old, they're overpaid, and they have nothing in their farm system.

Here's a great article on the Fall of the "Evil Empire": http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10150907/the-new-normal-new-york-yankees  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: Yankees in Decline

thread # 10...this oughtta be good :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey Jete, no need to even play the games, the yanks aren't going nowhere. Tongue Out

The sox weren't going anywhere last year before the season started.

I believe the Nationals and Blue Jays were going to duke it out in the World Series.

Where is Smiley when you need him?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to MikeNagy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey Jete, no need to even play the games, the yanks aren't going nowhere. Tongue Out

I believe the Nationals and Blue Jays were going to duke it out in the World Series.

[/QUOTE] hey Mike, omg this board would have been bedlam....andrewmitch driving, Slasher riding shotgun, Beni and KST at the gun turrets Tongue Out

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Yankees would probably be wise to go after the "buy low" candidate I recommended earlier - Dan Uggla.  Send Atlanta any contract you want to dump and he's yours.  Ichiro for Uggla.  Book it...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Loved that article first thing this morning... went well with my coffee and smoke.  Such pleasure to read... and Simmons wasn't the pen.  

Made a beeline to FB to re-post for all my Yankee friends to enjoy... but, of course they didn't respond.   De'Nile is still just some river in Egypt to them. 

Time to pay back the devil my pinstriped friends!!  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

It all comes down to pitching.  I never underestimate the Yanks.  Last time I did Chacon turned into Cy Young.  There are a number of holes right now, but if they can land Tanaka and Garza then they will hold their own.  They also need two strong arms in the pen like the mujica red sox pickup.  I can see Bailey signing with you for multiple years and or Hanrahan as options.  A trade would make sense for a final year arbitration BP arm like the Badenhop trade we made.

Beltran was the one bat in the WS that worried me... dude is solid.  The team is old, but this appears to be a quasi bridge year to Sherzer or Price.  If the yanks can reset that LT, the wallet opebs to record levels IMO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

It all comes down to pitching.  I never underestimate the Yanks.  Last time I did Chacon turned into Cy Young.  There are a number of holes right now, but if they can land Tanaka and Garza then they will hold their own.

RESPONSE: I agree with your comment on the importance of pitching. The Sox just won a WS because of it...and the Big Papi heroics. Garza and Tanaka would go a long way to making the Yanks relevant again. But, at what cost? Even the Yankees can't continue to spend like the federal government.

They also need two strong arms in the pen like the mujica red sox pickup.  I can see Bailey signing with you for multiple years and or Hanrahan as options.  A trade would make sense for a final year arbitration BP arm like the Badenhop trade we made.

RESPONSE: You have the right idea. But, that's a ton of signing, and a ton of money. My guess is that Bailey will want to go to a team where he'll get a chance to be a closer again. Same with Hanrahan.

Beltran was the one bat in the WS that worried me... dude is solid.  The team is old, but this appears to be a quasi bridge year to Sherzer or Price.  If the yanks can reset that LT, the wallet opebs to record levels IMO.

RESPONSE: Could be. But, the Yankee infield is a mess of vastly overpaid, unproductive has-beens. This is "The Captain's" final season. So, the Yanks will need a SS. A-Rod is worthless at 3B. The aging Texiera isn't nearly the player he once was, and seemingly gets hurt every year. Who's at 2B, long term? In the OF, they have the injury prone Jake in CF. As for Beltran, at age 37, he's best suited as a DH. Lots of "ifs" in NY. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes...the Yanks made big splashes through free agency by signing Jacoby Ellsbury, Brian McCann, and Carlos Beltran. But, they also lost their best player in the process, Robinson Cano...and their all-world closer, Mariano Rivera, to retirement. They're old, they're overpaid, and they have nothing in their farm system.

Here's a great article on the Fall of the "Evil Empire": http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10150907/the-new-normal-new-york-yankees  

[/QUOTE]

And from what I've read from Exam, their bones are brittle...brittle as Plaster of Paris. lol I really miss those threads.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Is it only 10? That's a shame. Tongue OutWink

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

SIn response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MikeNagy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey Jete, no need to even play the games, the yanks aren't going nowhere. Tongue Out

[/QUOTE] hey Mike, omg this board would have been bedlam....andrewmitch driving, Slasher riding shotgun, Beni and KST at the gun turrets Tongue Out

[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a fun day out on the board to me. lol  Where're we going after? The Bronx?CoolTongue Out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

It all comes down to pitching.  I never underestimate the Yanks.  Last time I did Chacon turned into Cy Young.  There are a number of holes right now, but if they can land Tanaka and Garza then they will hold their own.  They also need two strong arms in the pen like the mujica red sox pickup.  I can see Bailey signing with you for multiple years and or Hanrahan as options.  A trade would make sense for a final year arbitration BP arm like the Badenhop trade we made.

[/QUOTE]

I hope they don't get Tanaka that's for sure. The spitter they can have.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It all comes down to pitching.  I never underestimate the Yanks.  Last time I did Chacon turned into Cy Young.  There are a number of holes right now, but if they can land Tanaka and Garza then they will hold their own.

RESPONSE: I agree with your comment on the importance of pitching. The Sox just won a WS because of it...and the Big Papi heroics. Garza and Tanaka would go a long way to making the Yanks relevant again. But, at what cost? Even the Yankees can't continue to spend like the federal government.

They also need two strong arms in the pen like the mujica red sox pickup.  I can see Bailey signing with you for multiple years and or Hanrahan as options.  A trade would make sense for a final year arbitration BP arm like the Badenhop trade we made.

RESPONSE: You have the right idea. But, that's a ton of signing, and a ton of money. My guess is that Bailey will want to go to a team where he'll get a chance to be a closer again. Same with Hanrahan.

RESPONSE: Could be. But, the Yankee infield is a mess of vastly overpaid, unproductive has-beens. This is "The Captain's" final season. So, the Yanks will need a SS. A-Rod is worthless at 3B. The aging Texiera isn't nearly the player he once was, and seemingly gets hurt every year. Who's at 2B, long term? In the OF, they have the injury prone Jake in CF. As for Beltran, at age 37, he's best suited as a DH. Lots of "ifs" in NY. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Age is an overrated to often used refrain to dismiss a teams chances to compete. the Yankees with a payroll of 190M always build for the now and adjust from season to season. they've retooled thier lineup for 2014 and will be formidable. This just in...they don't need Arod to hit cleanup or Jeter to bat second Or play SS. 

The success of the 2014 Yankees will hinge largely on who they aquire to boslter thier starting rotation. Make no mistake about they will...The key is the return to form of CC Sabathia. Who should benefit from an offseason of rehabbing his elbow with Kuroda and Nova they have 3/5 of thier rotation set if they add one of the top free agents and a couple of guys to serve as organizational depth they'll enter the season in decent shape. With a surplus of OF (ichiro, Wells & Gardner) they can and will trade one or two of them, each could bring back an arm for the pen...Gardner clearly has the most value of the group...

The elephant in the room for them in the near term and the foreseeable future is the status of the Arod contract/suspension...once that is cleared up one way or the other? Cashman will then have moneys available to use as a contigency entering the season, if not before Or will simply have to make lemonade from lemons...

If the season started today the Yankees would be in trouble...but it doesn't and with most of the top free agent pitchers still on the market. I find it difficult to envision them not being in on at least one of them...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I think people make the mistake of judging the Yankees based on how they feel they match up against the Sox, which FTR is not good at all. The Yankees also have to play against other great competitors all around MLB --- teams getting stronger every year unlike in the past.

This doom and gloom "fear the Yankees" attitude where you just aren't sure what they will do is becoming passe, if it isn't already.

The best they can do is Tanaka (how are the working that out?). Does Tanaka want to start his career there on a losing team? Lesser players haven't wanted to do that. And the least they can do is not something the Red Sox should be concerned about, even if we're talking about now until the spring.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] personally, i don't get their non interest..i think they should consider Garza, he's still reasonably young(as pitchers go) knows the division and has pitched well in it

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

If your prediction is correct, it couldn't happen to a better team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If your prediction is correct, it couldn't happen to a better team.

[/QUOTE] watch it pal YellTongue Out

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The thing(s) that should make MFY fans worry this year is the possibility of injury. They have a number of players in the 34-38 range, and injuries are more likely at that age. I believe they will get some pitching, but what will CC be? Will Kuroda fall off a cliff like he did this past Aug/Sept? Will Pienda actually pitch? what is Ivan Nova?

Like the Sox last year, thre MFY have a ton of ?'s. With that said, Im sure they will go over the LT (they're at the limit right now) and will do what they can to compete.

Its going to be a harsh reality that you cant just throw $$ at the problem and fix it anymore. 22M to Ells was flat out stupid for 7 years. You cant survive making those kind of deals anymore. They say they are NY and cant have a rebuilding year. I say, take the loss and get everything in order because what were seeing now is just going to be a vicious circle if you dont get a lot more help from the farm. They are going to be spending so much more in taxes every year. More than they would lose if they didnt make the playoffs in a couple years. HAVE to have a good farm in todays MLB. Sure, its going to hurt now, but it will pay off for years to come.

Just my opinion.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The thing(s) that should make MFY fans worry this year is the possibility of injury. They have a number of players in the 34-38 range, and injuries are more likely at that age. I believe they will get some pitching, but what will CC be? Will Kuroda fall off a cliff like he did this past Aug/Sept? Will Pienda actually pitch? what is Ivan Nova?

Like the Sox last year, thre MFY have a ton of ?'s. With that said, Im sure they will go over the LT (they're at the limit right now) and will do what they can to compete.

Its going to be a harsh reality that you cant just throw $$ at the problem and fix it anymore. 22M to Ells was flat out stupid for 7 years. You cant survive making those kind of deals anymore. They say they are NY and cant have a rebuilding year. I say, take the loss and get everything in order because what were seeing now is just going to be a vicious circle if you dont get a lot more help from the farm. They are going to be spending so much more in taxes every year. More than they would lose if they didnt make the playoffs in a couple years. HAVE to have a good farm in todays MLB. Sure, its going to hurt now, but it will pay off for years to come.

Just my opinion.

[/QUOTE] that's the last thing they should worry about, heck those guys could get hurt getting out of bed:-)....seriously though..you can't go in expecting injury, i do get the correlation though SP...but who would have thought our most injured last year would be the younger guys??..i always hope for the best...though i'll deal with what comes....i know you guys have a different makeup, but there was no way you saw 2012 coming nor the off season dismissal as a contender in 2013... 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] personally, i don't get their non interest..i think they should consider Garza, he's still reasonably young(as pitchers go) knows the division and has pitched well in it

[/QUOTE]

28 Million vs. 11 Million

That's the difference in Luxury Tax between the Dodgers and Yanks with a team that has the same payroll.  That is the only reason I can possibly think of why the Yanks haven't gone after Garza.  If they can get below the limit, it sets up the Yanks for a huge spending year next year. 

That said, there are moves available on the free agent market that could allow the Yanks to compete this year.  I also would not put it past the Yanks to make a trade for a starter and/or a bullpen arm as well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

cool. I started this exact same thread in spring  2011.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[QUOTE]

Just my opinion.

[/QUOTE]

how did U come up with that 777

or is that just an educated guess

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Just my opinion.

[/QUOTE] that's the last thing they should worry about, heck those guys could get hurt getting out of bed:-)....seriously though..you can't go in expecting injury, i do get the correlation though SP...but who would have thought our most injured last year would be the younger guys??..i always hope for the best...though i'll deal with what comes....i know you guys have a different makeup, but there was no way you saw 2012 coming nor the off season dismissal as a contender in 2013... 

[/QUOTE]

Morning Jete!

I just think in todays MLB your going to have to have a good farm. I know NY has some good prospects in the lower levels and maybe they are just buying their time until they arrive. No guarentees there though.

Im not predicting injury. thats useless. Just pointing out the fact that with so many everyday players at 34+ you need to have some good depth just incase. It still may be a rough couple years for the yanks.

They stated they lost 30-40MM not making the playoffs. They're going to be paying that in taxes every year if they keep doing what they are doing, so why not sell off a couple players and get some solid young controllable talent. They might be surprised.

Certainly a bold move. Imagine if Choo did accept that deal? He would have been 39-40 at the end of it making 20M per. Hes already a so-so defensive corner OF'er with a little pop and cant hit LHP well and will be 32 in 2014.

Hey, I could be dead wrong, but thats how I would do it if I were them.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Just my opinion.

[/QUOTE]

how did U come up with that 777

or is that just an educated guess

[/QUOTE]

Just a guess zac.

I believe they are about at the limit with only 15 or so players. Every team needs good depth players and complimentary players. Guys like Ellsbury making 22M, Tex at 22.5 for long years into their late 30's and so on, doesnt leave much meat on the bone for those important depth/complimentary guys.

Like I said, I could be wrong, but I just dont see how you can tie up all that $$ for long years and still have enough to field a well-rounded team AND stay under the LT. Thats why I stress having a strong farm with good young controllable players is so vital in todays MLB. Its a dangerous game signing guys in their 30's to long term long years contracts. A couple are Ok, but there has to be a better balance between FA to fill the holes and young players the organization develops. To me, the NYY are not balanced as they are mostly leaning on expensive FA to field a team, and with lengthy contracts.