Yankees to sign Tanaka

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Re: Yankees to sign Tanaka

This should open door for all the Free Agents. Lots of activity should be coming.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/01/yankees-to-sign-masahiro-tanaka.html

wow.  7 yr $155M for a pitcher we never seen.  They really let that wallet wide open this winter.  Good luck with Tanaka cause that's what they need paying him like that.  

[/QUOTE]

Another Darvish or Dice K?  Either way you have to love it, another long term crippling contract for the Yanks.

Good luck Yankee fans!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to JIMMYPROFFER's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

no Cano, no A-Rod, no Youklis, no Mo Riveria, etc...they could be worser than last year

[/QUOTE]

Umm, they basically didn't have youk and arod all last year. And the additions of McCann, Ells and Beltran certainly should make up for the loss of Cano and then some.

They also seemed to do OK without Mo the previous season.

[/QUOTE]

Ells, Beltran, Tex, etc are not a guarantee healthy player for the entire season next year!!

[/QUOTE]

And they are not guaranteed to be injured either......

[/QUOTE]

The Yankees will do fine, offensively.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

no Cano, no A-Rod, no Youklis, no Mo Riveria, etc...they could be worser than last year

[/QUOTE]

Umm, they basically didn't have youk and arod all last year. And the additions of McCann, Ells and Beltran certainly should make up for the loss of Cano and then some.

They also seemed to do OK without Mo the previous season.

[/QUOTE]

Ells, Beltran, Tex, etc are not a guarantee healthy player for the entire season next year!!

[/QUOTE]

And they are not guaranteed to be injured either......

[/QUOTE]

Excellent point. The thing about Free Agents is if they are not on the Field, could be a huge disaster. Also if there is injuries, you need a Farm to take up the slack.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/01/yankees-to-sign-masahiro-tanaka.html

wow.  7 yr $155M for a pitcher we never seen.  They really let that wallet wide open this winter.  Good luck with Tanaka cause that's what they need paying him like that.  

[/QUOTE]

Another Darvish or Dice K?  Either way you have to love it, another long term crippling contract for the Yanks.

Good luck Yankee fans!

[/QUOTE]

I hope you're right, Craze.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Does anybody here know what the current Yankee salary number is with this signing?  I'm not one to use salary as amunition against a team but I distinctly remember them wanting to drop payroll.  I'm sure the A-Rod situation is helping them out though but you got to figure they are going to sign one more pitcher (Garza, Jimenez or Arroyo). 

While I think the opt out clause makes it a good deal for them....I really think it could turn around to bite them next year or years following if he does not pan out.....I HOPE that's the case.  I really want to see the Yanks continue to implode......and I think having such a weak farm system is really going to hamper them sooner rather than later.  Teams can't be built solely on free agency.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

They may need to keep two ambulances, several whambulances at the ready, and wheel chairs and hurri canes in the dugout

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the Yanks do go over the cap, what is the penalty for them, fifty percent? Then ARod salart next year would be fifty percent higher?

[/QUOTE]

If the old guy can't play SS anymore in ST then the Yanks will sign Drew.

[/QUOTE]

Don't say that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

According to NY Post, Yanks were told they would need to up their offer from 6 to 7 years or they would not land him, and they did so.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I honestly don't think the Yankees are finished. There is more to come.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If that's the case bullpen arms please.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

This signing is not good for Baseball in General.....giving 22MM per to a guy who has never thrown a major league pitch, it will drive up Salaries across the board(though the Kershaw  signing did that also), but for the yankees it is a good signing.....they needed a top notch starter and they have the money to take the chance he will be one.....Lets face it they have some question marks with age and injury comebacks, but this has the potential to be a WS Contender..Tanaka, CC, Kuroda, Nova and whoever....Tex, Roberts/Johnson,Jeter, McCann...Beltran, Ells, Soriano, Gardner.....and I doubt they are done....they will pick up a 3B and another late inning Reliever....they may move Gardner to do so....I look forward to the Rivalry heating up again this year.....I hate the Yanks but got to love the competetion

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think they're finished either.  They wouldn't commit this much, only to leave some holes that will have them fall s hort.

Once they signed McCann, I figured they would be going all out this offseason.

This is 2009, 2.0 version.  Hopefully, the end result will be different.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Mike Cormack ?@MikeCormack 8m
    Hank Steinbrenner: “If it wasn’t for revenue sharing, we’d have a payroll of $300 million a year.”http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseba.....ro-tanaka/ …

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Hank escapes from the Basement:

“There has been criticism of myself and my brother the last couple years that, gee, if our dad was still in charge, we’d be spending this and spending that and doing whatever it takes to win,” Hank Steinbrenner told the AP.

“He didn’t have revenue sharing, at least for most of his time,” Hank Steinbrenner added. “That’s what these people in the sports media don’t seem to get. If it wasn’t for revenue sharing, we’d have a payroll of $300 million a year if we wanted to. So we’re doing this despite having to pay all that revenue sharing.”

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Does anybody here know what the current Yankee salary number is with this signing?  I'm not one to use salary as amunition against a team but I distinctly remember them wanting to drop payroll.  I'm sure the A-Rod situation is helping them out though but you got to figure they are going to sign one more pitcher (Garza, Jimenez or Arroyo). 

[/QUOTE]

I've read several different numbers on what the Yankees salary is, but by most accounts the Yankees were already in the neighborhood of $180 million before the Tanaka signing, even without Arod's salary.

IMO, their plan to get under the luxury tax limit went out the window when the Yankees failed to make the postseason last year, further fueled by the Red Sox winning it all.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think they're finished either.  They wouldn't commit this much, only to leave some holes that will have them fall s hort.

Once they signed McCann, I figured they would be going all out this offseason.

This is 2009, 2.0 version.  Hopefully, the end result will be different.

[/QUOTE]

Kimmi 

Imo I think the Yanks are just about done for the offseason. I think they will add a BP arm or 2 and that will be that. The infielder that we still need will be added in season, Headley or Aram being very likely targets.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to kimsaysthis's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Time to steal Drew from the RS.

[/QUOTE]

To have him "stolen" the Red Sox would have to really want him back, and there's not much indication that's the case. The door may still be open, but they seem pretty comfortable moving on with Bogaerts/Middlebrooks.

[/QUOTE]

How one signing turns them into scavengers. I'll admit, it was a pretty big signing and I'm nauseated by it.

[/QUOTE]

They should be better than they were, that's for sure...but I think I'm long past the point of being intimidated by big Yankee (or any other team) free agent signings. Every offseason there's some fan base that thinks they've already won it all because their team went on a big spending spree. Anything can happen once the games actually start.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In the words of that great American, Gomer Pyle, " Surprise, surprise."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to PhilTheAce's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If that's the case bullpen arms please.

[/QUOTE] + 1

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

Kimmi 

Imo I think the Yanks are just about done for the offseason. I think they will add a BP arm or 2 and that will be that. The infielder that we still need will be added in season, Headley or Aram being very likely targets.

[/QUOTE]

That's possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if they added another starter or if they signed Drew.  Their infield is potentially a big mess - you have legitimate question marks at all 4 positions. 

Personally, I find the Yankees offseason moves a little puzzling.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Fascinating deal.  7 years and that much dough for an unknown commodity.  His Japanese numbers are gaudy, for sure.  But so were Matsuzaka's.  Darvish looked like the real deal with the naked eye.  You could see he was electric regardless of what kind of line-ups he was facing.  Hard to say with Tanaka.  He is young, so if he falls on the Yu end of the Dice-Darvish scale, works out great for the Yankees, and also instantly makes them a contender this year.  If he falls on the Daisuke end of the scale though ...