In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Tanaka has also had problems pitching from the stretch and holding runners on.

...not trying to say the evidence isn't there for him to be a good pitcher.

But I am saying there is a LOT more evidence that paying 22-27 million plus a year for a guy who might not be anything more than a #3 #4 starter is a HUGE risk. 

[/QUOTE]

Until he pitches we won't know where he fits in the rotation.

I would say his stuff more equates with Davish and Kuroda then any other Japanese pitchersof late.

[/QUOTE]

really YOU would say that? based on what? have you scouted him? Scouts have said that he is NOT a good comparison to Darvish and that his stuff is not as good. 

Darvish has a much better fastball, has a proven track record in the MLB, has better mechanics (reportedly) and can pitch from the stretch (something Tanaka has had issues with)

Darvish has more pitches. 

[/QUOTE]

I think this is going to be a great deal........for the Red Sox. The Yankees never learn. How many long term expensive deals have really worked out well for ANY team? How many have been flops? Baseball is littered with expensive FAs who have not lived up to their billing. Pujols. Arod. Hamilton. Texeira...just to name a few. I am sure others can come up with many more names. And this guy hasn't even thrown a single pitch to a US MLB batter yet! Dumb move by the Yankees, more than likely, and one born out of desperation. I admit I might be wrong about this, but I think this is a great day to be a Red Sox fan.

[/QUOTE]

Apples and oranges.

Those were all experienced free agents moving to different clubs you mentioned.

This is about unknown international free agents.

How many teams do you think would like to have a do-over with Cespedes, Puig, Chapman and Darvish??

[/QUOTE]

Tanaka got $22M for 7 years. Cespedes got $9M for 4; Puig: $6M for 7; Chapman: $5M for 5; Darvish: $9.3M for 6. All the other guys were CHEAP compared to what the Yankees are shelling out for Tanaka. Sure, I would love to have the other four guys for what they are getting paid. But there is no way in hell I would want my team to shell out $22M for SEVEN YEARS for a guy who has yet to throw a single pitch to a ML hitter in this country.

[/QUOTE]

I have this mental image of Tanaka and Ells being this years version of Pineda and Granderson, the only difference being 7 years each at 300mil 

This should be fun to watch!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Yankees to sign Tanaka

Verified account @PeteAbe3h

Guess Mrs. Tanaka was OK with living in New York after all. Funny how that works.

PeteAbe Location, location location. Translation: Money, money, money.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to slasher9's comment:

hey zac...go f|_|c|< yourself.  how about that?

oh my that's not like U NC

seems like signing tanaka has

knocked funny boy off his game

[/QUOTE]

Hey Zac, Congrats on the signing. By all reports the yankees landed a stud.

Poor Slasher sounds like he took a big one. Poor sport.

That and the signing news also got TWM to come out of hiding.

Must say I missed the old guy during the Sox championship run.

One more thing.

CC looks like he misplaced half of himself.

Now we should refer to him as cc.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I think this is going to be a great deal........for the Red Sox. The Yankees never learn. How many long term expensive deals have really worked out well for ANY team? How many have been flops? Baseball is littered with expensive FAs who have not lived up to their billing. Pujols. Arod. Hamilton. Texeira...just to name a few. I am sure others can come up with many more names. And this guy hasn't even thrown a single pitch to a US MLB batter yet! Dumb move by the Yankees, more than likely, and one born out of desperation. I admit I might be wrong about this, but I think this is a great day to be a Red Sox fan.

[/QUOTE]

If the Yankees never learning earned them the best or second best record in the division every single year for 20 years except for two years... then what do they need to learn?  That money can buy a good team... yes, yes it can.  The last time they finished without being 1st or 2nd in the division was 2008 and they won a championship in 2009 after opening the wallet.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/history/year_by_year_results.jsp

What they did learn is that the fans will not go to watch a team that stinks as evidenced by the lowest attendance since the 90s.  I think any Red Sox fan that does not respect the Yankees close to unlimited payroll is a fool or is too young to have seen much of the past.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

22 million per year.  He has an opt out at 4 years, so if he is any good he will exercise that making the total more like 26 million (as they spread out the posting fee)  Off the books the total cost to the Yankees would sit at around $36 million a year when you include the salary cap tax. 

For a guy with a flat fastball who projects as a middle of the rotation starter.

We have about 5-6 prospects who project as a middle of the rotation starter, even if one pans out we will have our very own Tanaka for less than a million. 

The last time the Yankees spent this much money in the off season with the likes of Tex, CC and AJ they won the WS.  Then nothing from that point on, lets see how all these new faces fit in because they HAVE DONE DID IT TO THEMSELVES ALL OVER AGAIN.  What a crazy franchise!

CC Sabathia $24,400,000 Mark Teixeira 22,500,000 Masahiro Tanaka 22,142,857 Jacoby Ellsbury 21,857,143 Brian McCann 17,000,000 Hiroki Kuroda 16,000,000 Carlos Beltran 15,000,000 Derek Jeter 12,810,000 Ichiro Suzuki 6,500,000 Brett Gardner 5,600,000 David Robertson 5,215,000 Alfonso Soriano 4,000,000 Matt Thornton 3,500,000 Alex Rodriguez 3,155,738 Ivan Nova 3,300,000 Kelly Johnson 3,000,000 Brian Roberts 2,000,000 Shawn Kelley 1,765,000 Brendan Ryan 1,666,667 Francisco Cervelli 700,000 Total 192,112,405 Estimated Benefits   11,500,000 Total 203,612,405

[/QUOTE]

Yes but they also had a better base and more depth back in 2009....they don't have that going into 2014.  They have loaded up on some stars but are still pretty awful in a lot of other areas.

Will Ellsbury, Beltran really give them more than Granderson/Cano would have or did?

is Darvish going to replace what Pettite has been giving them over the last several years.?

Teixeira was on a big decline before he missed all of last season, if that trend continues or even just pauses that infield is pretty much one big black hole in the lineup.

Don't get me wrong, the Yankees have improved and will be a wild card contender next year....but I think at the end of the day they are marginally better than they were last year and have spent MILLIONS to do so. 

[/QUOTE]

ROSENTHALS LATEST RANT ON HIS YANKESS SAYS THEY ARE BACK. 

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/masahiro-tanaka-signing-restores-natural-order-in-baseball-new-york-yankees-012214

The Yankees have really embarrassed themselves in recent years with failed signings and PED alligations but I think this may take the cake.  If they don't win it all soon the Stienbrenners should seek a restraining order on themselves to never be within a 10 mile radius of major league baseball.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

22 million per year.  He has an opt out at 4 years, so if he is any good he will exercise that making the total more like 26 million (as they spread out the posting fee)  Off the books the total cost to the Yankees would sit at around $36 million a year when you include the salary cap tax. 

For a guy with a flat fastball who projects as a middle of the rotation starter.

We have about 5-6 prospects who project as a middle of the rotation starter, even if one pans out we will have our very own Tanaka for less than a million. 

[/QUOTE]

The last time the Yankees spent this much money in the off season with the likes of Tex, CC and AJ they won the WS.  Then nothing from that point on, lets see how all these new faces fit in because they HAVE DONE DID IT TO THEMSELVES ALL OVER AGAIN.  What a crazy franchise!

CC Sabathia $24,400,000 Mark Teixeira 22,500,000 Masahiro Tanaka 22,142,857 Jacoby Ellsbury 21,857,143 Brian McCann 17,000,000 Hiroki Kuroda 16,000,000 Carlos Beltran 15,000,000 Derek Jeter 12,810,000 Ichiro Suzuki 6,500,000 Brett Gardner 5,600,000 David Robertson 5,215,000 Alfonso Soriano 4,000,000 Matt Thornton 3,500,000 Alex Rodriguez 3,155,738 Ivan Nova 3,300,000 Kelly Johnson 3,000,000 Brian Roberts 2,000,000 Shawn Kelley 1,765,000 Brendan Ryan 1,666,667 Francisco Cervelli 700,000 Total 192,112,405 Estimated Benefits   11,500,000 Total 203,612,405

[/QUOTE]

Yes but they also had a better base and more depth back in 2009....they don't have that going into 2014.  They have loaded up on some stars but are still pretty awful in a lot of other areas.

Will Ellsbury, Beltran really give them more than Granderson/Cano would have or did?

is Darvish going to replace what Pettite has been giving them over the last several years.?

Teixeira was on a big decline before he missed all of last season, if that trend continues or even just pauses that infield is pretty much one big black hole in the lineup.

Don't get me wrong, the Yankees have improved and will be a wild card contender next year....but I think at the end of the day they are marginally better than they were last year and have spent MILLIONS to do so. 

[/QUOTE] hard to say with any certainty, but one thing for sure they(Ells/Beltran) both strike out a ton less than Granderson does, and Ellsbury's job will likely be a lot different than Grandy's and Robbie's would have been....as far as Robbie, i think it's pretty much a given that neither of them will give the Yanks the same day in day, day out two-way excellence that Robbie did, but that's not to say they can't be very good on a lot of days....individually or in the grand scheme of the offense... 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Zac, do you honestly believe he's coming to the Yankees, for any other reason than the terms of the contract; if they weren't what they're reported to be, he would have signed, anyway? It wasn't enough to hold Cano. Bottom line, money talks and they walk.....to or from. Not faulting them, just tired of the spin. Tell it like it is. Best offer

[/QUOTE]

No one wants to think they got the trophy wife (or husband) because they're loaded.

It's always their sparkling personality. Wink

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If the Yankees never learning earned them the best or second best record in the division every single year for 20 years except for two years... then what do they need to learn?  That money can buy a good team... yes, yes it can.  The last time they finished without being 1st or 2nd in the division was 2008 and they won a championship in 2009 after opening the wallet.

What they did learn is that the fans will not go to watch a team that stinks as evidenced by the lowest attendance since the 90s.  I think any Red Sox fan that does not respect the Yankees close to unlimited payroll is a fool or is too young to have seen much of the past.

[/QUOTE]

The game is changing. The way you successfully build contenders nowadays is not the same as it was back in the 90s and before. Even the Yankees do not have an unlimited budget. In the last 10 years the Sox have three rings; the Yankees have one. The Sox farm system is flush with many potentially very good prospects, especially pitchers; the Yankee farm system is near bankrupt, at least at the upper levels. The Sox shed the long term expensive contracts that were, by most accounts, mistakes; the Yankees keep taking on more of them. I am not underestimating any team, but when you look at which approach, which strategy has worked to put a team in good position to compete for a ring recently, it has not been the Yankees. They keep making the same mistakes over and over again.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] hard to say with any certainty, but one thing for sure they(Ells/Beltran) both strike out a ton less than Granderson does, and Ellsbury's job will likely be a lot different than Grandy's and Robbie's would have been....as far as Robbie, i think it's pretty much a given that neither of them will give the Yanks the same day in day, day out two-way excellence that Robbie did, but that's not to say they can't be very good on a lot of days....individually or in the grand scheme of the offense... 

[/QUOTE]

My point is that as a whole I do not think they have got any better really.  They are also as old as ever, and for a team to be this old with zero depth they are just 1 or 2 injuries away from being just as lost as they were this season.  And if C.C. doesn't recover and Kuroda falters like he did down the stretch then the team really still has some serious holes. 

Good team, maybe....but do they really sound like a contender?  L.A. is just as bad financially, but at least that team has some depth.  

The Yankees look decent on paper, but they will need bounce back seasons from CC, an unproven 22 million dollar pitcher to not only pan out but reach his ceiling, and a clean bill of health from a very old group to be good....of course if all these things happen I think NY can be VERY good, I just think that is a horrible bet right now. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If there's one thing that signing did, it dragged the Yankee trolls out!  Smile

[/QUOTE]

Yeah how dare anyone to come on a "Yankees sign Tanaka" thread to contribute to the thread and talk about it..

[/QUOTE]

I believe the response you're getting is well deserved TWM.

1) you were no where to be found during the Sox championship run.

2) Everyone of your posts smells of chest pounding.

No question the signing of Tanaka makes the Yankees a far better team.

That and their other off season signings appear to fill needs.

As it stands now the Yankees may very well be favorites to win the ALE and possible the WS.

You taught me some time ago it isn't a good idea to shove wealth into peoples faces.

I'am thankful  for that advice.

May I suggest you take a little of your own advice and humble yourself a bit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Verified account @PeteAbe3h

Guess Mrs. Tanaka was OK with living in New York after all. Funny how that works.

PeteAbe Location, location location. Translation: Money, money, money.

[/QUOTE] being a fledgling recording artist, maybe Hov will sign her to the Roc Tongue Out

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

For what its worth, the Yankees won't need anymore pitching if they stay healthy.  They will score a lot more runs than our lineup will in my opinion.  If they make the PS, then you may see things crumble for them like previous teams that featured a powerhouse lineup but brick wall pitching from opponents.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

For what its worth, the Yankees won't need anymore pitching if they stay healthy.  They will score a lot more runs than our lineup will in my opinion.  If they make the PS, then you may see things crumble for them like previous teams that featured a powerhouse lineup but brick wall pitching from opponents.

[/QUOTE]

Will they? a lot of their offensive talent is very old, and the offense they generate in their infield might be one of the worst in the A.L. 

C.C. looked like he might have lost his stuff and been trending down last year

Kuroda is 39 and started to pitch like he was 40 and hit a wall down the stretch last year

Tanaka is most likely best case scenario a #3, and maybe the ace on this team

Everyone else in that rotation has question marks and isn't anything very special.

The rotation could be good.....but it could be very bad as well. 

If you ask me NY needs to go out and sign another pitcher (Garza/Santana) and Drew and then they are a playoff contender.....and by that I mean a wild card team. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My point is that as a whole I do not think they have got any better really.  They are also as old as ever, and for a team to be this old with zero depth they are just 1 or 2 injuries away from being just as lost as they were this season.  And if C.C. doesn't recover and Kuroda falters like he did down the stretch then the team really still has some serious holes. 

Good team, maybe....but do they really sound like a contender?  L.A. is just as bad financially, but at least that team has some depth.  

The Yankees look decent on paper, but they will need bounce back seasons from CC, an unproven 22 million dollar pitcher to not only pan out but reach his ceiling, and a clean bill of health from a very old group to be good....of course if all these things happen I think NY can be VERY good, I just think that is a horrible bet right now. 

[/QUOTE] i got that hugh, it wasn't a refute of your point, was just opining on that part of your post...surely work has to be done..no doubt this season could find the Yanks taking another hit, and it could go well...you guys can relate...i mean did you really see 2011- 2012 coming??...and i only mean that in the context that they survived it, even with pitching and roster depth.. like the Rays...they were horrendous during your 2nd title run(07)..the next season found them spoiling your bid to repeat(08 ALCS)...who knows what the cards hold for the Yanks this year??...gotta play the games and deal..

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Will they? a lot of their offensive talent is very old, and the offense they generate in their infield might be one of the worst in the A.L. 

C.C. looked like he might have lost his stuff and been trending down last year

Kuroda is 39 and started to pitch like he was 40 and hit a wall down the stretch last year

Tanaka is most likely best case scenario a #3, and maybe the ace on this team

Everyone else in that rotation has question marks and isn't anything very special.

The rotation could be good.....but it could be very bad as well. 

If you ask me NY needs to go out and sign another pitcher (Garza/Santana) and Drew and then they are a playoff contender.....and by that I mean a wild card team. 

[/QUOTE]

I can still see Garza or another FA in pinstripes before the season starts.  

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The game is changing. The way you successfully build contenders nowadays is not the same as it was back in the 90s and before. Even the Yankees do not have an unlimited budget. In the last 10 years the Sox have three rings; the Yankees have one. The Sox farm system is flush with many potentially very good prospects, especially pitchers; the Yankee farm system is near bankrupt, at least at the upper levels. The Sox shed the long term expensive contracts that were, by most accounts, mistakes; the Yankees keep taking on more of them. I am not underestimating any team, but when you look at which approach, which strategy has worked to put a team in good position to compete for a ring recently, it has not been the Yankees. They keep making the same mistakes over and over again.

[/QUOTE]

The game has changed many times over in the past hundred years.  The Yanks are the single most successful team in the past said hundred years in any professional sports.  I think they have what never goes out of style... a close to unlimited bank account.

In the past 20 years, the Red Sox have had the best record in the division exactly three times.  The Yanks have had the best record in the division 14 times.

http://mlb.mlb.com/bos/history/year_by_year_results.jsp

The Yankees have 10 of the last 13 division titles in that time as well, so it's not like they have not been successful lately.  Look, I'm not saying that the Yankees do not look like an aging team and I agree that the farm system is pretty weak there right now.  What I am saying is that I have counted the Yankees out personally so many times in the past 20 years and they pulled some magic out of their wallet that I won't be so cocky.

Fact is that this is still a business and in business, he who has the biggest checkbook has the biggest advantage... same rules work on a poker table as they do in business and sports.

If you extend your ten year time period to fifteen years, the Yanks have the same number of championships... 20 years they have 5 to our 3... so what the cut off period is depends on what point you are making.  Fact is that the Yanks have been a winning team every year since 1992 and will continue to be a winning team.  To think otherwise is foolish with the competitive advantage that they have financially.  All we are seeing now is an ownership run by a new group of guys who are learning on the job.  I expect them to get better and field competitive teams for the forseeable future.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

who's posts are those getting sacked left and right??

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

Fact is that this is still a business and in business, he who has the biggest checkbook has the biggest advantage... same rules work on a poker table as they do in business and sports.

Today's 'poker table' comes with a table limit and a tax.  You can bring all the money you want, but you'll be losing a bunch of it to your opponents before the game even starts.

Want to know the quickest way to make $1M at poker?  Start with $2M.

Your view of the Yankees 'strategy' is strikingly similar to their own views of fielding a team....pay for past performance.

Tanaka is admittedly a different strategy....he's a blind bid.  Red on the roulette wheel.  Actually, more like a green...without the payout.  At $23M per he has to be a top 5 pitcher.  That's quite the hope.  Else, hes an albatross for a long time.

I'm 110% w/ Pumpsie's view.  I don't buy into mysticism.  Living in the old days doesn't get anybody anywhere.

The Yankee's strategy is bad, plain and simple.  Maybe they'll be great next year.  I'm willing to bet my personal money that this strategy will hurt them over the next five years.  Are you willing to bet your own?  Let me know.  I could use some easy cash.

25. This post has been removed.