Yankees to sign Tanaka

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Re: Yankees to sign Tanaka

pumpsie green
    Tanaka got $22M for 7 years. Cespedes got $9M for 4; Puig: $6M for 7; Chapman: $5M for 5; Darvish: $9.3M for 6. All the other guys were CHEAP compared to what the Yankees are shelling out for Tanaka. Sure, I would love to have the other four guys for what they are getting paid. But there is no way in hell I would want my team to shell out $22M for SEVEN YEARS for a guy who has yet to throw a single pitch to a ML hitter in this country.

As I explained in other posts this is the new process.

To win the player the Yankees had few options.

First pay 20 mil to then make a bid for the player's services.

The yankees had scouted Tanaka for 2 years and wanted him and had no choice with a blind bid bidding against the Cubs, Chisox, D-Backs, Angels and Dodgers but to bid high.

They had to go high to win, Tanaka wanted 7 years.

On the other hand the others you refer to although established stars in their respective countries Puig, Cespedes and Chapman were simply signed by their respective teams as international free agents. Any other team could have joined the bidding for those players as they would any free agent.

Bogaerts, Hanley Ramirez and Iglesias were all signed as IFAs as well but signed when they were very young.

The entire process of signing international free agents is about to be changed although I disagree with it.

Afterall the RS deserve credit imo for finding those young talents, along with investing and taking a risk on them. How many IFA have they invested in who didn't pan out? Many I would guess, that is the nature of the beast.

Again the small market teams are complaining.

I say go to hell to all of them. The RS as well as the Yankees who signed Mariano, Posada and Bernie Williams as international free agents should be allowed to scour the planet offering contracts to the players they feel will develope into talent.

The Yankees found Mariano playing infield in a Panamanian fishing village.

The small market teams would like a draft of international free agents which imo is bs. Let them find the talent and take the risks like the RS and Yankees have.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ells, a re-vamped CC, Tanaka, Beltre, the new catcher, a bunch of really good bats (even though old), these guys are looking like a lot of trouble to me.  Plus, we're not as good: no Ells and no Drew.

[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree with all of your points.

What really has me worried is if the Yanks use Kelly J. as a bat off the bench and replace him with Jeter at 3rd. and sign Drew to play SS.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Anyplace other than SS for Jeter would be a big boost to the Yanks chances in 2014.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Yanks spent 450+ Million this Off-season. Tops the 400+ million a COUPLE of seasons ago.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yanks spent 450+ Million this Off-season. Tops the 400+ million a COUPLE of seasons ago.

[/QUOTE]

Seems quieter this time for some reason.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Yanks may shed some salary after this season, but none of the real huge ones.

Kuroda $16M

Jeter $12M

Susuki $6.5M

Gardner $5.6M

Robertson $5.2M

Soriano $5M (Yank cost)

Kelly $3M

Roberts $2M

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Anyplace other than SS for Jeter would be a big boost to the Yanks chances in 2014.

[/QUOTE]

morning moon always a pleasure ;-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

tomnev

FWIW I read /heard that he used the MLB ball on his throw days last yr

and in the WBC they use the mlb ball

not sure what we can take from that

other than it didn't scare him away

from taking all that money ;-)

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to tomnev's comment:

My main point of concern with Tanka if I was the Yankees would be with his split....the split whihc is supposed to be the best in the world.....we all know that Japanese Baseballs are slightly samller than the ball used in MLB.....and clearly if the size of a ball has the potential to be relevant to any pitch it is with the split finger....it may make no difference at all, but until I see his splits effectivenesss on a consistent basis with a MLB baseball....I would be concerned if he loses anything off his most dominant pitch.

I think that's a fair concern tom

but I'm going with BB is a game of adjustments

and I don't think tanaka would have made it this far if he could make adjustments

but yeah it could take a little while

that's my story and I'm sticking 2 it

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

still a .500 team next season.  and this should put them up over luxury tax once again.

[/QUOTE]

"still a .500 team next season"

So you're telling me with Tanaka in their rotation they will have a worst record than a year ago.

No wonder your referred to as NC.

They lost Cano but they filled holes in their lineup and one should expect more from Jeter and Tek then they got a year ago.

[/QUOTE]

yup.  they wont come close to winning all those 1 run games they did last year.  why?  mo.

that's why.  what say you?  let me guess...the yankees win 100, right?

[/QUOTE]

Still sticking with the .500 record?

I got the yanks winning between 90-95.

[/QUOTE]

Yankees are a 90-95 win team on paper right now.  What they also have is ZERO depth and a lot of old guys starting almost every position.  When you factor that in, I think it's a good bet that they lose another 5-10 games.  I still think they are around an 85 win team.   I won't cound them out until they are out....but I'm not worried either. 

[/QUOTE]

If you agree with me that on paper they are a 90-95 win team then I must ask .....

What other piece of paper tells you they are a good bet to lose 5-10 more????

[/QUOTE]

intuition, probability, common sense...whatever you want to call it.  When a huge chuck of your team is old, and injury prone...odds are you are going to lose starters, and when the depth you have coming in to replace those guys are worst than the league average.....odds are you are going to lose some more games.

[/QUOTE]

That's fine if that is what you believe.

If so perhaps you shouldn't call them a 90-95 win team on paper.

For the simple reason all those negatives you brought up are clearly noted on paper and you see something different then I do.

[/QUOTE]

Well....what do you want from me?  Do you want me to put together a monte carlo simulation and produce a whole range of outcomes  with the probability of each permutation coming true?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Seems quieter this time for some reason.

[/QUOTE]

With no Picks till the 2nd round, in a very good Draft.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

http://www.newslo.com/tanaka-celebrates-155-million-yankees-deal-with-sushi-and-steroids-party/

NEW YORK – The Yankees’ newest pitcher arrived in New York yesterday a very rich man.

Masahiro Tanaka, formerly of the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles in Japan, has reportedly signed a seven-year, $155 million contract to play in the pinstripes. According to guests, Tanaka celebrated the deal with a blowout party in the Bronx last night, complete with “strippers, sushi and plenty of steroid injections.”

“It was the best night of my life,” said a Yankees outfielder who attended the bash but asked that his name be withheld. “Everywhere I looked there were naked women with plates of gourmet sushi and Primobolan-filled syringes. I’ve never felt so satisfied in all my life.”

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

The Yanks may shed some salary after this season, but none of the real huge ones.

Kuroda $16M

Jeter $12M

Susuki $6.5M

Gardner $5.6M

Robertson $5.2M

Soriano $5M (Yank cost)

Kelly $3M

Roberts $2M

I wonder how many of these Free Agents will the Yanks tag a QO next season. I see none. Maybe Robertson.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

http://www.newslo.com/tanaka-celebrates-155-million-yankees-deal-with-sushi-and-steroids-party/

NEW YORK – The Yankees’ newest pitcher arrived in New York yesterday a very rich man.

Masahiro Tanaka, formerly of the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles in Japan, has reportedly signed a seven-year, $155 million contract to play in the pinstripes. According to guests, Tanaka celebrated the deal with a blowout party in the Bronx last night, complete with “strippers, sushi and plenty of steroid injections.”

“It was the best night of my life,” said a Yankees outfielder who attended the bash but asked that his name be withheld. “Everywhere I looked there were naked women with plates of gourmet sushi and Primobolan-filled syringes. I’ve never felt so satisfied in all my life.”

[/QUOTE]LOL..Slash, you're a nut Tongue OutWink

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

what's this

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

As I explained in other posts this is the new process.

To win the player the Yankees had few options.

First pay 20 mil to then make a bid for the player's services.

The yankees had scouted Tanaka for 2 years and wanted him and had no choice with a blind bid bidding against the Cubs, Chisox, D-Backs, Angels and Dodgers but to bid high.

They had to go high to win, Tanaka wanted 7 years.

New process or not, Tanaka is likely not going to represent "value" when all is said and done. I cannot think of a single player at any position who got over, say, $17M for over five years who was worth the investment. There may be a few I can't think of, but the majority of those players became albatrosses to their teams. The Yankee strategy of trying to go out and purchase a contending team may work in the very near future, but as a long term strategy, it stinks. All those long term contracts (like AJ, Arod, Teixeira etc) will come back to haunt them. That is why I like them paying through the nose for a high risk guy like Tanaka. Odds are it will end up hurting the team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

what's this

[/QUOTE]

Raw data from 40-man rosters.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

looks like the yankees outbid themselves once again.  cant wait for 2017 when he opts out and pulls an Arod on hal & cashman and gets them to resign him for $400MM...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/10337617/japanese-pitcher-masahiro-tanaka-relieved-new-york-yankees-deal-completed

The Cubs also made a large offer, according to the Los Angeles Times, but a source told the Chicago Tribune that the Cubs "weren't that close." Their offer was under $150 million, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

The Dodgers bid over $100 million for Tanaka but were "not anywhere close," a source told the Times, which reported the team did not see Tanaka as a potential ace.

The Astros also bid over $100 million, the Houston Chronicle reported.

The Yankees "took it to a level we weren't comfortable going to in terms of the commitment and the cost," White Sox general manager Rick Hahn told the Chicago Tribune. The Yankees were the only team to offer Tanaka seven years, the Sun-Times reported.

"We're going to do what we've got to do to win," Yankees co-chairman Hank Steinbrenner told The Associated Press. "We had to make sure we had enough pitching to go together with our new lineup."

Tanaka receives the highest contract for an international free agent and the fifth-largest deal for a pitcher, trailing only those of the Los Angeles Dodgers' Clayton Kershaw ($215 million), Detroit's Justin Verlander ($180 million), Seattle's Felix Hernandez ($175 million) and the Yankees' CC Sabathia ($161 million under his original agreement with New York).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

looks like the yankees outbid themselves once again.  cant wait for 2017 when he opts out and pulls an Arod on hal & cashman and gets them to resign him for $400MM...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/10337617/japanese-pitcher-masahiro-tanaka-relieved-new-york-yankees-deal-completed

The Cubs also made a large offer, according to the Los Angeles Times, but a source told the Chicago Tribune that the Cubs "weren't that close." Their offer was under $150 million, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

The Dodgers bid over $100 million for Tanaka but were "not anywhere close," a source told the Times, which reported the team did not see Tanaka as a potential ace.

The Yankees "took it to a level we weren't comfortable going to in terms of the commitment and the cost," White Sox general manager Rick Hahn told the Chicago Tribune. The Yankees were the only team to offer Tanaka seven years, the Sun-Times reported.

"We're going to do what we've got to do to win," Yankees co-chairman Hank Steinbrenner told The Associated Press. "We had to make sure we had enough pitching to go together with our new lineup."

Tanaka receives the highest contract for an international free agent and the fifth-largest deal for a pitcher, trailing only those of the Los Angeles Dodgers' Clayton Kershaw ($215 million), Detroit's Justin Verlander ($180 million), Seattle's Felix Hernandez ($175 million) and the Yankees' CC Sabathia ($161 million under his original agreement with New York).

[/QUOTE]

As TWM said, the Yankees did what they had to do. They were desperate for more pitching and have rolled the dice with Tanaka, who is probably the best opportunity remaining on the FA market. Its possible he might live up to his billing as the fifth best pitcher in baseball, but thats pretty unlikely IMO. Others here have said that scouts put him at a #3 SP. Frankly, its a good thing to see the Yankees acting out of desperation. While we see the Sox more than likely trying to shed a SP, the Yankees grossly overpay an untested commodity. IMO Tanaka will be OK in the ALE for a while, but by August, once teams have seen him several times and he ceases to be an unknown commodity, he will descend into mediocrity and remain there for seven years. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

22 million per year.  He has an opt out at 4 years, so if he is any good he will exercise that making the total more like 26 million (as they spread out the posting fee)  Off the books the total cost to the Yankees would sit at around $36 million a year when you include the salary cap tax. 

For a guy with a flat fastball who projects as a middle of the rotation starter.

We have about 5-6 prospects who project as a middle of the rotation starter, even if one pans out we will have our very own Tanaka for less than a million. 

[/QUOTE]

Nice post Hugh.

I think the Yankees had to do this deal, but that doesn't undo the fact that the money and years are ridiculous.  It's nice to be in the position that the Sox are in with regards to their pitching depth and prospects.

[/QUOTE]

Flat fastball??

97 mph is flat?

[/QUOTE]

the term "flat" when referring to a FB has zero to do with speed.  it has to do with movement.  you could have a 105mph FB.  but if it's straight as an arrow (flat) hitters will destroy it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

22 million per year.  He has an opt out at 4 years, so if he is any good he will exercise that making the total more like 26 million (as they spread out the posting fee)  Off the books the total cost to the Yankees would sit at around $36 million a year when you include the salary cap tax. 

For a guy with a flat fastball who projects as a middle of the rotation starter.

We have about 5-6 prospects who project as a middle of the rotation starter, even if one pans out we will have our very own Tanaka for less than a million. 

[/QUOTE]

Nice post Hugh.

I think the Yankees had to do this deal, but that doesn't undo the fact that the money and years are ridiculous.  It's nice to be in the position that the Sox are in with regards to their pitching depth and prospects.

[/QUOTE]

Flat fastball??

97 mph is flat?

[/QUOTE]

the term "flat" when referring to a FB has zero to do with speed.  it has to do with movement.  you could have a 105mph FB.  but if it's straight as an arrow (flat) hitters will destroy it.

[/QUOTE]

Ha ha  and you know this.

From what I've read the hitters can't tell the difference between his splitter and fastball leaving his hand and why both are effective.

Dream on jr.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

As TWM said, the Yankees did what they had to do. They were desperate for more pitching and have rolled the dice with Tanaka, who is probably the best opportunity remaining on the FA market. Its possible he might live up to his billing as the fifth best pitcher in baseball, but thats pretty unlikely IMO. Others here have said that scouts put him at a #3 SP. Frankly, its a good thing to see the Yankees acting out of desperation. While we see the Sox more than likely trying to shed a SP, the Yankees grossly overpay an untested commodity. IMO Tanaka will be OK in the ALE for a while, but by August, once teams have seen him several times and he ceases to be an unknown commodity, he will descend into mediocrity and remain there for seven years. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

[/QUOTE]

Not nibbler like Dice-K, goes after the zone confuses the batters with his splitter and fastball.

I kind of think at age 25 they're getting a young Kuroda.

But this is the cost for any team seeking starting pitching is going to pay in the free agent market either in this country for a good established pro or with the new current posting rules a good pitcher out of the Japanese system.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nice post Hugh.

[/QUOTE]

Flat fastball??

97 mph is flat?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ha ha  and you know this.

From what I've read the hitters can't tell the difference between his splitter and fastball leaving his hand and why both are effective.

Dream on jr.

[/QUOTE]

Yes his splitter does keep his fastball honest but it's still more of a show me pitch.  Those very same people who say this about Tanaka are also slapping the middle rotation starter on him.  And there is a lot of value there, and NY definitely needs quality starting pitching...but $22 million a year for an unproven #3 #4 starter who has the ceiling of a #2 is pretty darn high. 

Also this is japanese hitters who can't tell the difference, Tanaka has issues with changing his arm angles on some pitches...MLB hitters will pick up on this.

I Think Tanaka will be good, but I think he could struggle his first year. 

Every report I have has Darvish as being far superior to Tanaka....yet the Yankees just gave him twice the amount of money after sitting on the sidelines during the Darvish sweepstakes. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

175 million for a guy who projects as a middle of the rotation starter and hasn't thrown 1 pitch in pro ball outside of Japan isn't the "cost of any team seeking starting pitching" 

Sox drafted a few guys with similiar profiles and ceilings and haven't signed one to a bonus north of 2.75 million. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'd also consider him an old 25 year old.  He has a lot of mileage on his arm....a lot more than an american pitcher at age 25. 

I'd say he is something between Dice-K and Darvish.