Yanks lineup now better than Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Yanks lineup now better than Sox

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hope when Beltran comes up in Fenway they play the highlights of the 2013 WS and the pitch of the 2006 NLCS........

[/QUOTE]

He is still statistically one of the best postseason hitter and a borderline HoFer. He is old now but don't try to make it seem like he wasn't a great player.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As predicted it took the Yanks one day to replace Cano in the lineup.  It wasn't Choo but Beltran at only 3/45 should be a steal considering we just paid Nap 16mil for two.  With McCann, Beltran and Ellsbury they have a power packed lineup much stronger than ours on paper anyway in my opinion and all three additions could possibly hit more HR's in Yankee stadium.

Time will tell on where our lineup ends up but as of now (only our pitching) is stronger than our NY rivals.  Great move by the Yankees in my opinion barring any future injuries that is always a risk you take. 

Yankee fans should be excited!

[/QUOTE]

Umm I would like some of what your smoking! You say "With McCann, Beltran and Ellsbury they have a power packed lineup" are you counting Ellsbury as a power hitter? If so you havent been wathing baseball the alst coule of years! The funniest part of your post is "only our pitching is stronger" LOL Isnt it pitching that wins ballgames?!! This post is so ridiculous its got to be in jest right? Would you have traded Cano for Ellsbury?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Yankees lost Cano, but did sign three of the top free agents. They followed their pattern of stocking up with left handed hitters to take aim at that short porch.  Their pitching staff could go either good or bad, but they should score plenty of runs.  Right now, the Sox are not quite as good a team as the one that won it all. I would like to see Ben add one more top talent.  It probably will be necessary to trade a pitcher to free up some money.

[/QUOTE]
    Oh, there's another top talent coming... mark my words.  His name........ Matt Kemp.

The cost will be Jake Peavy and 3 ML'ers not named Bogaerts or Bradley Jr.

wait for it.... it's coming.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

As predicted it took the Yanks one day to replace Cano in the lineup.  It wasn't Choo but Beltran at only 3/45 should be a steal considering we just paid Nap 16mil for two.  With McCann, Beltran and Ellsbury they have a power packed lineup much stronger than ours on paper anyway in my opinion and all three additions could possibly hit more HR's in Yankee stadium.

Time will tell on where our lineup ends up but as of now (only our pitching) is stronger than our NY rivals.  Great move by the Yankees in my opinion barring any future injuries that is always a risk you take. 

[/QUOTE]

Umm I would like some of what your smoking! You say "With McCann, Beltran and Ellsbury they have a power packed lineup" are you counting Ellsbury as a power hitter? If so you havent been wathing baseball the alst coule of years! The funniest part of your post is "only our pitching is stronger" LOL Isnt it pitching that wins ballgames?!! This post is so ridiculous its got to be in jest right? Would you have traded Cano for Ellsbury?

[/QUOTE]

The fact that he qualified the pitching being stronger with only. Isn't gbe game only pitching and hitting?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They have all hit for decent power elsewhere SO YES.  Yankee Stadium and a few more HR's is a more than logical statement to make.  I will also go as far as to predict Cano hits less in Seattle.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would not be surprised if we score more runs than the Yanks, or at least come close.

On Paper, their offense is looking pretty good, but remember, Tex was in a steady decline before the injuries, no Cano, Ryan may play a lot of SS, and age or fragility may take a heavy toll in 2014.

On paper, our rotation, pen, and pitching depth, as of this moment, looks much much better than the Yanks.

[/QUOTE]

Age related declines and injuries have to be a concern with Jeter, Beltran, CC, Kuroda, ARod (suspension?), Tex, Ichiro, Soriano and Wells.  The offense looks good on paper, but there are a lot of question marks there and uncertainty.

I think the Yankees season hinges directly on CC's fat behind and Kuroda's arm not falling off.  Nova is a solid number 3 for them, but had an ERA in the 5's two years ago before his shortened season last year... but he might very well be the best starter they have next year.

I see them taking a chance on either Santana or Halladay... heck why not both?  I also see them making a move for Tanaka in a strong way.  It was a foregone conclusion to start the year that he would be in pin stripes.  Add Pineda to the back of that pen and they could get lucky and be dangerous.  That said, luck goes down with age... so it will be a challenge for them to make the playoffs. 

I see them topping off the rotation with Colon and trading one of the spare outfielders for a short stop / second base type dude who can hit like Marco Scutaro.  It doesn't take long for the laughing stock of the division to turn into a force when you have billions in the bank.  They will buy a bridge year where they can at least compete is my guess.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would not be surprised if we score more runs than the Yanks, or at least come close.

On Paper, their offense is looking pretty good, but remember, Tex was in a steady decline before the injuries, no Cano, Ryan may play a lot of SS, and age or fragility may take a heavy toll in 2014.

On paper, our rotation, pen, and pitching depth, as of this moment, looks much much better than the Yanks.

[/QUOTE]

Age related declines and injuries have to be a concern with Jeter, Beltran, CC, Kuroda, ARod (suspension?), Tex, Ichiro, Soriano and Wells.  The offense looks good on paper, but there are a lot of question marks there and uncertainty.

I think the Yankees season hinges directly on CC's fat behind and Kuroda's arm not falling off.  Nova is a solid number 3 for them, but had an ERA in the 5's two years ago before his shortened season last year... but he might very well be the best starter they have next year.

I see them taking a chance on either Santana or Halladay... heck why not both?  I also see them making a move for Tanaka in a strong way.  It was a foregone conclusion to start the year that he would be in pin stripes.  Add Pineda to the back of that pen and they could get lucky and be dangerous.  That said, luck goes down with age... so it will be a challenge for them to make the playoffs. 

I see them topping off the rotation with Colon and trading one of the spare outfielders for a short stop / second base type dude who can hit like Marco Scutaro.  It doesn't take long for the laughing stock of the division to turn into a force when you have billions in the bank.  They will buy a bridge year where they can at least compete is my guess.

[/QUOTE]

A lot of age but also good veteran players for short term back up roles which makes them a threat.  If they somehow find a way to add a Garza type to the mix they will hang.

Just my prediction!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I think the Yankees (barring injuries) have upgraded their lineup significantly without signing Cano and we may just have to give them credit and deal with it.

[/QUOTE]

Projected WAR by averaging Steamer and Oliver projections from fangraphs

Cano 4.9

Granderson 2.3

Ells 3.6

Beltran 2

McCann 4.2

The Yankees have improved by 2.6 projected wins

Rest of the team

Soriano 0.4

Ichiro 0.2

Gardner 2.75

Jeter 1.05

ARod 1.3

Kelly Johnson 1.15

Brendan Ryan 0.8

Tex 2.0

They can improve by the most with starting pitching if they get either AJ Burnett or Colon on short term or 1 year deals.  That would leave them a lottery ticket to spin on Roy Halladay's projected 2.4 WAR or Johan Santana's 0.8 WAR.

Sabathia 3.6

Kuroda 3.1

Nova 2.6

Phelps 1.35

Pineda 0.8

***Tanaka 0.8

***Colon 2.55

***Garza 2.55

***Santana 1.25

***AJ Burnett  3.15

***Ubaldo Jiminez 1.9

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Huh? Losing Cano's bat in the 3 slot really weakens that lineup. 

Major holes at 2B, 3B and major health question marks at SS and RF.

With that pitching staff I have the yanks pegged at 4Th place

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Huh? Losing Cano's bat in the 3 slot really weakens that lineup. 

Major holes at 2B, 3B and major health question marks at SS and RF.

With that pitching staff I have the yanks pegged at 4Th place

They lost their best hitter for sure in Cano.  That move compared apples to apples with Ellsbury is a net loss.  They have more numbers of very good hitters, but not the huge stud in Cano. 

With the stats I laid out in the previous post, the Yanks are going to have to basically get one or both of Colon and AJ Burnett to net enough wins to compete for a playoff spot unless they get very lucky.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

WHAT?! You obviously dont know any Yankees fans. I know many and they are wringing their hands. You must be a closet HOMER Yanks fan to say this. They lost their best player and paid Ells waaaaaaaay too much. With Beltran, what are they all 40 now. Yankees lost Mariano, Petit, Cano, Granderson, and might have to play Arod! Better your azz!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

How is their lineup better?

1B Teixiera???            

2B Johnson                 

SS Ryan/Jeter??          

3B Rodriguez??

DH Jeter/Wells/Suzuki

C McCann

LF Soriano

CF Ellsbury

RF Beltran

Thats alot of question marks. Ichiro is 40, Soriano will be 38 at the start of the season, and Beltran will be 37 in April. Better hope Ellsbury stays healthy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thank God Pitching wins championships....and haven't we learned by now that throwing money at things only works in a strip club and that only buys you short term attention.

[/QUOTE]

Our pitching is still oodles better than the Yanks but I think they could put up a lot of runs with that lineup and by the time Cashman is done they will have competitive pitching mark my words.

They are doing a good job, Cano wasn't worth anywhere near that type of money and for the 1rst time the Yankees actually bit the bullet.

[/QUOTE]

ditto

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

hey Craze!!... having nice additions is all well and good, but they still have to transfer to the field..and pitching is STILL king...i don't think you can make a clear comp until the dust settles, i'm sure the Sox aren't done yet, they probably need to do less overall, both  teams weren't exactly a blur of activity at this point last offseason either...Yanks still need pitching!!..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] How do you figure their line up is stronger? They added McCann and he's Ok and no doubt that Ellsbury will give them a true leadoff hitter, but Tex is a year older, they have no third baseman, they now have three DH's Beltran, Soriano, and Afraud if he returns. They do have speed in the OF, but you aren't getting 30 HR's combined from all three! As for pitching they have nothing worth even mentioning!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Yankees lost Cano, but did sign three of the top free agents. They followed their pattern of stocking up with left handed hitters to take aim at that short porch.  Their pitching staff could go either good or bad, but they should score plenty of runs.  Right now, the Sox are not quite as good a team as the one that won it all. I would like to see Ben add one more top talent.  It probably will be necessary to trade a pitcher to free up some money.

[/QUOTE] if he indeed leads off, the Yanks shouldn't expect 20 + from JElls, IMO he needs to provide a wider array of offense for the Yanks...even if capable HR's from your leadoff spot should just be gravy instead the norm... 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Like I said before last year.  I will sit back and enjoy watching how the season plays out.

Cano will be fine offensively in Seattle for a few years.  The ball carries well to RF.  Yankees offered him what they felt he was worth.  The M's had to go beyond that to entice other FAs to come. 

As for Price, most think he is headed to Seattle.  They will give up Taijuan Walker, one of their extra 2B (probably Franklin) and a couple other pieces.  I think it is a mistake because I think Walker will be very, very good, but they will do it.  Then they will sign either Choo or more likely Cruz (at less money then they would have had to before signing Cano).  They will have three stud pitchers and a decent offense.  They will make a run at the playoffs. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Who has to go 10 years? Last year Yanks didn't have much, he carried them pretty much by himself.

what R U talking about

seattle gave him 10 yrs

whether he's a great player is not the question

question was

how bout a little credilbility test mr brown  or anyone in RSN

tell me what most posters here would be saying if the yanks gave him 10 yrs

Sorry Zac, I think he will be a force for the next 7 years. He has one of the sweetest swings I've seen in a long time. Williams lasted till 40 so can Cano. Remember the DH. Glad he is gone.

I remember seeing him in Fenway 2nd or 3rd year he hit a ball, to Right Center, it was a SHOT, this kid is Good. That ball was blasted, Line Drive, took seconds. He can hit anywhere doesn't matter the Park.

Not bad with his Defense either. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

but who cares about the yankees?

we just won 3 World Series in 10 years and it all started the historic comeback

and this year was the first time since 1918 where we won the WS whilst the yankees didn't make the playoffs even though one third of all team make it now and even though they spent a mind boggling 230 million dollars; not to mention this was our best record against the yankees in the regular season ever too....they should be worrying about us now.....tables - turned......

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Red Sox scored 853 runs. The Yankees scored 650 runs. Do the math. The Yankees then lost by far their best offensive player. He had 107 RBI's. The next best RBI guy? Overbay at 59!

The idea that the Yankees will have a better offense next year is funny.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Red Sox scored 853 runs. The Yankees scored 650 runs. Do the math. The Yankees then lost by far their best offensive player. He had 107 RBI's. The next best RBI guy? Overbay at 59!

[/QUOTE]

exactly - and who carried them last year?

Cano by far but also...

Haefner and Wells for a while

Overbay

Soriano for a while

all but Soriano are gone and if they are counting on a repeat from him, lots of luck to them

right now, they are a .500 team

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. They are old, and keep getting older. They have ZERO prospects and no farm system. People are just dumb, trying to justify something. McCann is overrated, completely, and Ells will suffer immensely patrolling that outfield. Then his hitting will suffer as a result. They have no pitching. Their lineup stinks. Problem? Outside of Garder and Ells, possibly, all their players, pitchers and position players are all for the most part past their prime. You can't win with that. You just can't. Not after 162. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Now that he is a Mariner, I'm sure he'll teach. Help out some of the younger kids, with their mental approach to the game. Wouldn't mind having him watching me swing. Let see the production for next 10 years at 2nd base.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

OBP was a huge problem for them last year and none of those 3 are big OBP guys, Ells is the best and he's average and that's his biggest responsibility......not to mention they will most likely now trade one of their better OBP guys (Gardner)......I am not impressed

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Now that he is a Mariner, I'm sure he'll teach. Help out some of the younger kids, with their mental approach to the game. Wouldn't mind having him watching me swing.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know about that, but his presence in the lineup has got to help guys like Smoak and Montero.