Yanks/Sox V

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Yanks/Sox V

Morning all... today begins a 4 game series and the next to last regular season series between the teams at YS...Sox remain in 1st place, with the Yanks 2.5 games out of the wild card race....Yanks come off of a sweep of the White Sox, while the Red Sox win 2 of 3 vs the Tigers punctuated by a 20-4 rout of the Tigers(hopefully the Sox players will be tired from circling the bases Tongue Out) a very crucial 4 games for the Yanks, who enter this series with a much healthier lineup, evidenced by their best play since the early part of the season..returning players Jeter, A-Rod and Granderson, along with Soriano and a surging Cano have given the offense a more steady day to day presence...since returning to the top spot the Sox have been arguably the best team in the AL shown by their steady grip at the top...Game 1 pits Ivan Nova 8-4/2.88 vs Jake Peavy 11-4/3.91

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Yanks/Sox V

In response to jete02fan's comment:

Morning all... today begins a 4 game series and the next to last regular season series between the teams at YS...Sox remain in 1st place, with the Yanks 2.5 games out of the wild card race....Yanks come off of a sweep of the White Sox, while the Red Sox win 2 of 3 vs the Tigers punctuated by a 20-4 rout of the Tigers(hopefully the Sox players will be tired from circling the bases Tongue Out) a very crucial 4 games for the Yanks, who enter this series with a much healthier lineup, evidenced by their best play since the early part of the season..returning players Jeter, A-Rod and Granderson, along with Soriano and a surging Cano have given the offense a more steady day to day presence...since returning to the top spot the Sox have been arguably the best team in the AL shown by their steady grip at the top...Game 1 pits Ivan Nova 8-4/2.88 vs Jake Peavy 11-4/3.91

Difference between the Yankees this year and in the past is their dangerous deep left handed line up such as Texeria, Cano, Granderson, Swisher, Chavez, Posada, etc

Now it is just Cano and Granderson.  If Boston want beat the NYY for any game, they need to pitch well to Cano and Soriano.  If they go cold, NYY isnt going to score a whole alot of run for each game.  All Bosotn need to go 2-2 or better against the NYY and hopefully Seattle take care of Tampa!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

a yankees sweep sure would make for an interesting final 3 weeks of september. 

One of my boys had a front row ticket for me for tonights game but prior obligations are preventing my attendance.  Cry

hype to see how Peavy does tonight.....

A Sox split all but knocks the yankees out of division contention.

Once the Sox hit the 10 run mark last night i though "ok boys, lets save some for NY".....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

a yankees sweep sure would make for an interesting final 3 weeks of september. 

One of my boys had a front row ticket for me for tonights game but prior obligations are preventing my attendance.  Cry

hype to see how Peavy does tonight.....

A Sox split all but knocks the yankees out of division contention.

Once the Sox hit the 10 run mark last night i though "ok boys, lets save some for NY".....

Slash, i think they are pretty much already there...highly unlikely both you guys and the Rays go into a tandem meltdown

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Yankees are only 2.5 games behind the Rays for the final wild card spot.

Granderson, A-Rod and Jeter are fresh and healthy.  

It will be a great series.  I think the Red Sox and Yankees will split the four-game series.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

The Yankees are only 2.5 games behind the Rays for the final wild card spot.

Granderson, A-Rod and Jeter are fresh and healthy.  

It will be a great series.  I think the Red Sox and Yankees will split the four-game series.

Unless Kuroda remembers how to pitch again, Sox take 3-4.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

2-2 or 3-1 Sox seem the most likely outcomes

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

2-2 or 3-1 Sox seem the most likely outcomes

I hear you steven. one things for sure, this is gonna be one helluva september for the toughest division in the american league. who knows what can happen man. that said, I totally live for this as I'm sure you and jetes and 4B's and all the true fans of this game are feeling right now.

cept for poor brian cashman................no finger nails left and totally outta tums......Wink

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Sox should be loose, as a goose. Just cant get swept. A split is a win for the Sox. 4 games gone, nothing gained, nothing lost.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Tampa will be watching this series very closely. Knowing somebody is going to lose, and they are playing outside the Division with 3 hr difference. They need to sweep Seattle BAD. Then they face the Sox, this weekend could lead to interesting week. And they play the Angels tonight, another outside divison game. Meaning everytime they win, they gain (or distance themselves), on somebody, in the AL East.

Season is not over, thats for sure.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Hey, Jete,

Always great to hear from you.  The Yankee fan two doors down from my office is nervous because of how the Sox have played recently, especially against the Tigers.  I told him I am hoping for a 2-2 split because every team plays a lot better at home than on the road.  He wants his guys to win at least 3 but is worried they can't. 

The real story is that we can even talk about this series as meaningful.  The Sox were supposed to tread water this year, but have the best record in the AL on September 5.  The Yankees went through the bubonic plague and the dark ages and goodness knows what else, but somehow the pitching held together, and now the hitting seems to be coming around with ARod, the deal for Soriano, Granderson and Jeter back, etc. 

I think the Orioles are out because of weak pitching.  And I think the Yankees will still be OK for a wild card if they just win 2.  If they win 3 or 4, us Sox fans can go back to being typically "worried in September." 

MLB of course loves this stuff because of the presumed rivalry (most one-sided) being kept alive this late in the 2013 season. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

First game tonight is very important. Good matchup---- Peavy vs. Nova.  Nova is probably the Yankees best starter right now. The concern is always about getting swept in a series like this. Winning the opener removes that. Pennant race baseball. Time to see who steps up.

Stabbed by Foulke

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham         @PeteAbe

Since start of 2002 season, #RedSox and #Yankees have played 229 games (including postseason). Sox have 1,212 runs, Yanks 1,211

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Big Start for Peavy tonight.....A win is going to put alot of pressure on the Yanks the rest of the series.

Doubront has been great when pitching at Yankees Stadium....4 appearances 2 starts...1.26 ERA and then Lackey and Lester....If Peavy wins tonight, the Yanks would really need to Win all 3 of those...not something I would bet on. On the other hand, A Peavy loss tonight and a big game by Petite tomorrow and the pressure is all on the Sox......I dont need the aggravation so lets hope Peavy shuts them down tonight....which for what it is worth would be the 1st time he has beat them...0-4 Lifetime

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I love September ... unless I hate it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Pete Abraham         @PeteAbe

Since start of 2002 season, #RedSox and #Yankees have played 229 games (including postseason). Sox have 1,212 runs, Yanks 1,211

and apropos of that, the Yanks will score a 1st inning run to even the tally, and somehow the series will conclude with the difference again being 1 run Surprised 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Peavy career stats against the Yankees:

0-4 in 4 starts but respectable 3.96 ERA, 25 IP 25 H 12 R 11 ER 4 HR 5 BB 23 SO

Peavy's last 4 starts:

1.99 ERA 27.2 IP 18 H 6 R 6 ER 3 BB 17 SO 1 HR

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Peavy career stats against the Yankees:

0-4 in 4 starts but respectable 3.96 ERA, 25 IP 25 H 12 R 11 ER 4 HR 5 BB 23 SO

Peavy's last 4 starts:

1.99 ERA 27.2 IP 18 H 6 R 6 ER 3 BB 17 SO 1 HR

Peavy may have something to work with early...seems like when they play at YS, the Sox usually score first..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I would  be content with a split, thrilled with 3-1, positively orgasmic with a  sweep.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

I would  be content with a split, thrilled with 3-1, positively orgasmic with a  sweep.

Oh, I hope the Yankes squeak one out then.  Wink

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

good read....Red Sox are the superior team, but Yankees deserve credit for hanging around
    Posted by Chad Finn, Globe Staff September 5, 2013 09:01 AM

By Chad Finn, Boston.com Columnist

Hey, what's this? Are those standings accurate? They are?

Well, then: What are those guys still doing hanging around?

Weren't the Yankees, after slogging through June with an 11-16 record, supposed to be an autumn afterthought, their ill-conceived veteran-laden roster as tattered and torn as Alex Rodriguez's legacy?

I believe "the Yankees are done" was the consensus opinion. Which just goes to show, it's always wise to resist writing off those in pinstripes until the math offers irrefutable confirmation that they are indeed done. So many of the names have changed, but the old habit remains the same. These guys are still pretty good at kicking the dirt off their premature graves.

This isn't about final respects, but simple respect.

The Yankees, who host the Red Sox for a four-game series beginning Thursday night, then face their rival three more times next week with a series with Baltimore in between, should not be doing this.

They've scored just six more runs than they've allowed this season. They're below the American League average in runs per game (4.05), ahead of only Kansas City, Minnesota, Houston, Seattle, and Chicago. They Red Sox have scored 157 more runs this season than the Yankees. And they are tied with the Red Sox for fifth in the league in runs allowed per game (4.01). They have all the statistical characteristics of an irrelevant mediocrity. Logic suggests they should be what the Blue Jays are.

Yet here they are, with a record of 75-64, eight games back of the sizzling Red Sox in the American League East, but just 2.5 back of Tampa Bay in the chase for the second wild card. The Yankees have won 17 of their last 24 games, and 15 of their last 18 at home. It's remarkable in that it really should not be happening.

Oh, sure, some of it can be explained. They do have some very good players in important roles. Hiroki Kuroda has been a true ace for most of the season at the top of the rotation, and Ivan Nova, the AL's pitcher of the month for August, has been exceptional lately. Mariano Rivera and David Robertson, the closer and his heir, have locked down the late innings with their usual aplomb.

Robinson Cano, just a few months away from that inevitable nine-figure deal with the Dodgers, has been excellent as usual with 26 homers and a .901 OPS. Alfonso Soriano has 12 homers since coming over from the Cubs. Steady Brett Gardner is somehow third on the team in RBIs (47), proof that half the battle is just showing up.

And manager Joe Girardi has done an exceptional job, one that should get him Manager of the Year consideration along with John Farrell, Terry Francona, Bob Melvin, and, semi-facetiously, Bo Porter, who somehow has coaxed 46 wins out of a historically horrendous Houston roster.

But the Yankees have real and major flaws, certainly more than any team even on the fringes of postseason contention. Six of nine regulars have an OPS of .658 or lower. Their disabled list -- and those who have recently returned from prolonged absences -- could be a 2008 All-Star roster: A-Rod, Derek Jeter, Mark Teixeira, Kevin Youkilis, Travis Hafner. I half-expect to see Grady Sizemore in their lineup batting seventh tonight.

More? Twenty-two position players have played 40 games or fewer this season, among them David Adams, Brent Lillibridge, Zoilo Almonte, Reid Brignac, Brennan Boesch, Travis Ishikawa, Melky Mesa, and Corban Joseph, whom I'm pretty sure isn't an actual person but a name someone in the Yankees public relations department made up just to see if anyone was actually looking at the game notes.

Maybe a team with a payroll north of $180 million shouldn't have so many craters in its roster. I'm certainly not about to peg the Yankees as charming underdogs.

The Red Sox, playing their best baseball since April after an affirming pair of victories over the Tigers the past two days, are the superior team. The rest of September and beyond will bear that out. There's something special going on with this ball club right now.

But credit it where it is due. The Yankees have done a pretty damn good job of McGyvering this roster together as one thing after another has gone wrong.

They've positioned themselves as a roadblock the Red Sox will have to navigate around the next few days, and then again a few days from now. Chances are they won't slow the Red Sox's acceleration toward October. Still, it's to the Yankees' credit that they weren't far out of the rear-view mirror's range long ago. They've made sure this series matters

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

hoping to trend upwards Sealed....YES Network 16m
    #Yankees are 9-1 in their last 10 home games and 15-3 in their last 18, per @YankeesPR

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I've been a Sox fan far too long NOT to worry.

I'll stop worrying when everything is over.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I'm assuming that each game will be at least four hours long.   LOL