Yanks/Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Re: Yanks/Sox

In response to jete02fan's comment:

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

that was a good piece of pitching by him to Cano

"good piece of pitching to Cano"

What you saw from Miller on opening day was what Sox fans have seen for sometime.( i DIDN'T question that)

Yea, he K'd Cano but it was far from a thing of beauty.

didn't have to beautiful, he got it done ,and it was all my post was acknowledging

Yes, in the end he got it done.

Where we differ is a "good piece of pitching" IS a thing of beauty. That was not.

With Cano he escaped a run scoring double by a narrow margine.

How Miller put himself in that spot speaks of his maturing process.

Cano was the only threat in the yanks lineup and Miller walked two in front of him.

Nothing about his performance was good. He skated by.

fine, this really wasn't THAT deep

[/QUOTE]I didn't think so either at first.

But I will answer almost anybody's response.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Cera is useless with montero and the limited number of innings caught. Besides being a sketchy stat anyway if not used properly.

Good points ... Jesus Montero's 2012 CERA of 3.80 was inflated by the fact that he caught only six of the 33 starts by Felix Hernandez, who had an ERA of 2.90 when Montero caught and 3.06 overall. In other words, Montero's CERA likely would have been lower if he had been Hernandez's primary catcher.

I would think that you would understand the use of cera and also its many flaws even when used correctly.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

"those of us that follow the game"

Saw the slugger batting 7th. in a weak lineup.

It's already been documented he can't catch.

For what it's worth, 23-year-old Jesus Montero has a CERA of 0.50 in 18 innings after two road wins (with no passed balls and no steals surrendered) against the defending American League West champion Oakland Athletics.

Last season Montero posted a CERA of 3.80 in 487.2 innings on a Seattle team that had an overall team ERA of 3.76. The Red Sox posted a 4.70 ERA in 2012.

Montero, who caught a difficult six-pitcher no-hitter as a 22-year-old, is unlikely to win a Gold Glove anytime soon, but his defensive shortcomings have been exaggerated.

Yankees brass may be alot of things but Hank aside they are not stupid.

Look no further than the stiff behind the plate for them now and ask yourself if the yanks thought Montero was going to be a everyday catcher for a contending team would they have traded him for pitching? Something they already have some depth at.

Now look at Seattle and understand why Montero is being given the shot to catch where last year he was used mostly at DH.

The fan base in Seattle and around baseball are questioning why they gave up a potential top of the rotation guy for a DH who didn't hit like one. That said to save face they now have him catching in hopes they can show some return in the trade.

He is now batting 7th. in a very weak hitting lineup.

At one point in time I thought he might have a future with his bat.

Now I am starting to view Montero as a total bust.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

For what it's worth, 23-year-old Jesus Montero has a CERA of 0.50 in 18 innings after two road wins (with no passed balls and no steals surrendered) against the defending American League West champion Oakland Athletics.

Last season Montero posted a CERA of 3.80 in 487.2 innings on a Seattle team that had an overall team ERA of 3.76. The Red Sox posted a 4.70 ERA in 2012.

Montero, who caught a difficult six-pitcher no-hitter as a 22-year-old, is unlikely to win a Gold Glove anytime soon, but his defensive shortcomings have been exaggerated.

Look no further than the stiff behind the plate for them now and ask yourself if the yanks thought Montero was going to be a everyday catcher for a contending team would they have traded him for pitching? Something they already have some depth at.

Now look at Seattle and understand why Montero is being given the shot to catch where last year he was used mostly at DH.

The fan base in Seattle and around baseball are questioning why they gave up a potential top of the rotation guy for a DH who didn't hit like one. That said to save face they now have him catching in hopes they can show some return in the trade.

For the past two years you have been saying Montero couldn't catch.

Now that he's catching he can't hit.

I wonder why he's in the lline-up if he can't hit or catch.

The the first 2 games of 2013 he is behind the plate and all of 23.

They have Kelly Shoppach as a back-up.

Begs the question if the Mariners believe like you that he can't hit or catch then why is he even playing?

Why did they trade Jaso?

Only a matter of time until your bs caught up you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Game 2 also goes to the Sox 7-4..Yanks able to find a bit of offense, Sox once again able to ride an early big inning to the W

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Game 2 also goes to the Sox 7-4..Yanks able to find a bit of offense, Sox once againable to ride an early big inning to the W

sucks what happened to kuroda (looks like that ball barely clipped the tips of his finger but i guess it was enough). Luckily the yanks were able to get 6 good innings from 1 relief guy to save their pen

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Sox once again able to ride an early big inning to the W"

And take advantage of suspect Yankee pitching while riding solid pitching of their own...

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

Begs the question if the Mariners believe like you that he can't hit or catch then why is he even playing?

Why did they trade Jaso?

Still without a clue I see.

It's a fact shared by many in the know that Montero has defensive shortcomings.

My view on that has never changed.

I simply added the fact his ability to hit ML pitching appears also in question.

Dropped to 7th. in a weak hitting lineup.

Not saying much about the guy you pegged as a can't miss prospect.

Again I will add the yanks cut their losses on Montero.

Last night we all got to see stiff number 2 behind the plate for ny.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

And take advantage of suspect Yankee pitching while riding solid pitching of their own...

also true...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Morning all....Red Sox vs Yankees
    Thursday 4/4, 7:05 PM ET at Yankee Stadium
    Radio: BOS: WEEI 93.7, WWZN 1510 , ESPN Radio NYY: WCBS 880, ESPN Radio, WADO 1280
    TV: BOS: MLBN, NESN, MLBN NYY: YES, MLBN, MLBN

Behind Dempster, Sox aim to sweep Yanks

By Cash Kruth / MLB.com | 4/3/2013 11:34 PM ET

Ryan Dempster, RHP

0-0, -.-- ERA

The right-hander is set to make his Boston debut in a rivalry matchup against the Yankees. Dempster is 0-4 with a 7.62 ERA over five career starts against New York.

Andy Pettitte, LHP

0-0, -.-- ERA

Pettitte looks to turn in a complete season of work after being limited to just 12 starts in 2012. He held opponents to three runs or less in nine of those starts, missing nearly three months with a broken left ankle.

Yankees left-hander Andy Pettitte is well-versed in the New York/Boston rivalry. For Red Sox righty Ryan Dempster, however, Thursday's series finale at Yankee Stadium represents his first foray into the madness -- even though he already feels like a Red Sox.

"I know I've only been here for seven weeks, but I feel like I've been with these guys for a long time," said Dempster, who signed a two-year deal in the offseason. "Everybody in here gets along really well. We've all bonded really well. It's just another start. Just go out there and do what I can and help us win a game."

Although the 15-year veteran has spent all but 12 games of his career in the National League, facing the Yankees is nothing new. It's just that, well, it hasn't exactly gone well for Dempster -- no matter the name on the front of his uniform.

Dempster has struggled mightily against New York. He's 0-4 in five career starts against the Yankees, who are just one of five teams he has never beaten. Those five starts haven't been pretty either; Dempster has a 7.62 ERA and .354 average against versus the Bronx Bombers.

"They have a great team over there. They always do," Dempster said. "You just have to be on your game and be focused to execute pitches, and do that as much as possible. Hopefully if you do that, you get the results you want."

Of course, as numerous pundits have opined, this isn't your father's Yankees, or even last year's. That's been true two games into the season, as New York has opened the season 0-2 at home for the first time since 1979.

Pettitte looks to stop that short skid when he begins yet another season in pinstripes. Thursday will mark the 15th different season (1995-2003, '07-10, '12-13) the left-hander has made at least one start for the Yankees, tying Red Ruffing for second most in franchise history behind Whitey Ford (16).

Red Sox: It's been awhile

The Sox opened the season by winning consecutive games against the Yankees for the first time since 1973, when they won the season's first four games against New York, with the first three coming at Fenway Park.

This is also the first time Boston has begun the season with two straight road wins in New York since 1935. The Sox haven't opened with three straight road wins against the Yankees since 1912.

• The Red Sox are 2-0 for first time since 1999.

• Closer Joel Hanrahan is three saves away from notching the 100th of his career.

Yankees: Injury updates

Derek Jeter (ankle) played long toss Wednesday in Tampa, Fla., but he is not expected to be activated off the disabled list when he is eligible Saturday.

Mark Teixeira (right wrist) is hoping to return by May 1.

• Yankees right-hander Hiroki Kuroda was forced to leave Wednesday's start with a bruised right middle finger. He was scheduled to undergo more tests, including X-rays, on Wednesday night.

Worth noting
    • The other four teams Dempster hasn't defeated are the Angels, Tigers, Rangers and Blue Jays.

• A handful of Boston's offseason acquisitions have had success against Pettitte, including Jonny Gomes (.364, 8-for-22), David Ross (.333, 4-for-12) and Mike Napoli (.500, 6-for-12).

Dempster is 0-3 vs the Yanks
    7.61 era/ 21 k's

NYY Hitters    AVG    AB    HR    RBI
    Brennan Boesch   -   -   -   -
    Robinson Cano   .250   4   0   1
    Francisco Cervelli   -   -   -   -
    Ben Francisco   .000   3   0   0
    Brett Gardner   .250   4   0   0
    Travis Hafner   -   -   -   -
    Jayson Nix   -   -   -   -
    Eduardo Nunez   .333   3   0   0
    Lyle Overbay   .333   6   0   2
    Chris Stewart   .000   3   0   0
    Ichiro Suzuki   .400   5   0   0
    Vernon Wells   1.000   2   0   0
    Kevin Youkilis   .000   3   0   0

Andy P is 15-9 vs the Red Sox
    4.16 era/ 137 k's

BOS Hitters    AVG    AB    HR    RBI
    Jackie Bradley Jr.   -   -   -   -
    Mike Carp   .000   3   0   0
    Pedro Ciriaco   -   -   -   -
    Jacoby Ellsbury   .333   18   0   5
    Jonny Gomes   .600   10   1   6
    Jose Iglesias   -   -   -   -
    Will Middlebrooks   -   -   -   -
    Mike Napoli   .500   12   0   0
    Daniel Nava   .500   2   0   1
    Dustin Pedroia   .174   23   0   1
    David Ross   .500   2   0   0
    Jarrod Saltalamacchia   .000   3   0   0
    Shane Victorino   .500   6   1   2
                                                         this jumped out at me..didn't realize Andy's gotten Pedey out that often..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Buchholz looks like,...................................... 

Cody Rhodes of the WWE   LOL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Why did they trade Jaso?

I simply added the fact his ability to hit ML pitching appears also in question.

Yeah Montero can't hit or catch.

And why he started the Mariners 3rd straight game behind the plate Shoppach watching from the bench.

And why he went 2 for 3 at the plate.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Why did they trade Jaso?

I am encouraged that you've softened from your initial contention that "It's already been documented he can't catch" to "It's a fact shared by many in the know that Montero has defensive shortcomings," an assertion that moves closer to my initial response that Montero "is unlikely to win a Gold Glove anytime soon, but his defensive shortcomings have been exaggerated."

Montero in fact has caught all three Seattle games so far this season. Montero has been charged with no passed balls and surrendered his first stolen base last night to Josh Reddick, whom Montero tagged out at home a few plays later. A few innings earlier, Montero had tagged out another Oakland runner at home:

Mariners catcher Jesus Montero, right, tags out Oakland's Nate Freiman in the second inning Wednesday night.

At the plate, Montero went 2-for-3 in Seattle's first loss of the season.

You write that Jesus Montero was "Dropped to 7th. in a weak hitting lineup." That Seattle lineup was bolstered by the offseason additions of Michael Morse, Kendrys Morales and Raul Ibanez after the Mariners finished fifth in the league last year* in runs scored on the road. This year the Mariners led all teams with 58 homeruns in 33 Spring Training games (the Red Sox had 17 homeruns in 35 Spring Training games).

The Yankees cut their losses on Jesus Montero no more than the Mariners cut their losses on Michael Pineda. 

I doubt Seattle is grooming Montero to be the long-term full-time solution at catcher. The Mariners more likely view Montero as a designated hitter and backup catcher to Mike Zunino or John Hicks. Alternatively, Seattle could use Montero as trade bait. Because Montero's trade value would be much higher as a catcher, the Mariners would not be showcasing Montero at catcher if the M's thought Montero had serious defensive deficiencies.

* the harsh hitting environment at Seattle's Safeco Field has masked the production of the Mariners' talented young hitters. As an aside, the Red Sox last year finished a distant last in the league in runs scored on the road.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

At least the weather will be better this evening:-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Why did they trade Jaso?

I am encouraged that you've softened from your initial contention that "It's already been documented he can't catch" to "It's a fact shared by many in the know that Montero has defensive shortcomings," an assertion that moves closer to my initial response that Montero "is unlikely to win a Gold Glove anytime soon, but his defensive shortcomings have been exaggerated."

Montero in fact has caught all three Seattle games so far this season. Montero has been charged with no passed balls and surrendered his first stolen base last night to Josh Reddick, whom Montero tagged out at home a few plays later (Montero had tagged out another Oakland runner at home a few innings earlier). At the plate, Montero went 2-for-3 in Seattle's first loss of the season.

You write that Jesus Montero was "Dropped to 7th. in a weak hitting lineup." That Seattle lineup was bolstered the offseason additions of Michael Morse, Kendrys Morales and Raul Ibanez after the Mariners finished fifth in the league last year* in runs scored on the road. Thsi year the Mariners led all teams with 58 homeruns in 33 Spring Training games (the Red Sox had 17 homeruns in 35 Spring Training games).

The Yankees cut their losses on Jesus Montero no more than the Mariners cut their losses on Michael Pineda. 

I doubt Seattle is grooming Montero to be the long-term full-time solution at catcher. The Mariners more likely view Montero as a designated hitter and backup catcher to Mike Zunino or John Hicks. Alternatively, Seattle could use Montero as trade bait. Because Montero's trade value would be much higher as a catcher, the Mariners would not be showcasing Montero at catcher if the M's thought Montero had serious defensive deficiencies.

* the harsh hitting environment at Seattle's Safeco Field has masked the production of the Mariners' talented young hitters. As an aside, the Red Sox last year finished a distant last in the league in runs scored on the road.

Montero also has a history of starting out slow at the plate then catching fire warming up as the weather does.

I've seen it happen during career in the Yankee farm system.

Myself I tend to agree that this great catching propsect that the Mariners have, Zunino will eventually be the everday catcher.

However I do believe that they want Montero's bat in the lineup because they well know that is where his real value is to them is long term as a hitter or as trade bait.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]

also true...

Hey Jete:

I hope you are well.  The negativity led me to other outlets.  I'll be around from time to time.  How has the board been?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to jimdavis's comment:

[QUOTE]

also true...

Hey Jete:

I hope you are well.  The negativity led me to other outlets.  I'll be around from time to time.  How has the board been?

hey JD!!, i'm good thanks..hope you are as well..good to see you back..well as a whole i think the board's been ok, tho i'm starting to really get annoyed by the huge amount of removed posts in the threads..hard to take when you get to a good discussion that going on and one post is followed by 5-6 removed posts..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Montero also has a history of starting out slow at the plate then catching fire warming up as the weather does.

Myself I tend to agree that this great catching propsect that the Mariners have, Zunino will eventually be the everday catcher.

However I do believe that they want Montero's bat in the lineup because they well know that is where his real value is to them is long term as a hitter or as trade bait.

Jesus Montero enjoyed the warm Arizona weather at Spring Training this year by posting a .400/.438/.711/1.149 line in 48 plate appearances (with the standard Spring Training and small-sample caveats).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Why did they trade Jaso?

Montero in fact has caught all three Seattle games so far this season. Montero has been charged with no passed balls and surrendered his first stolen base last night to Josh Reddick, whom Montero tagged out at home a few plays later. A few innings earlier, Montero had tagged out another Oakland runner at home:

Mariners catcher Jesus Montero, right, tags out Oakland's Nate Freiman in the second inning Wednesday night.

At the plate, Montero went 2-for-3 in Seattle's first loss of the season.

You write that Jesus Montero was "Dropped to 7th. in a weak hitting lineup." That Seattle lineup was bolstered by the offseason additions of Michael Morse, Kendrys Morales and Raul Ibanez after the Mariners finished fifth in the league last year* in runs scored on the road. This year the Mariners led all teams with 58 homeruns in 33 Spring Training games (the Red Sox had 17 homeruns in 35 Spring Training games).

I agree with your view that Montero isn't a long-term full-time solution at catcher. That is why the yanks cut him loose. I've always maintained his future in the ML's was as a DH.

Based on other people's opinions I expected to see a better hitter.

Some say he heats up after a slow start. He had an entire seson with over 500 at bats in 2012 and frankly he was average at best.

imo just an over hyped prospect.

Never be confused with the likes of Trout or Harper who have delivered.

Montero is simply another victim of ny writers bs and dumb fans buying into it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Why did they trade Jaso?

Montero in fact has caught all three Seattle games so far this season. Montero has been charged with no passed balls and surrendered his first stolen base last night to Josh Reddick, whom Montero tagged out at home a few plays later (Montero had tagged out another Oakland runner at home a few innings earlier). At the plate, Montero went 2-for-3 in Seattle's first loss of the season.

You write that Jesus Montero was "Dropped to 7th. in a weak hitting lineup." That Seattle lineup was bolstered the offseason additions of Michael Morse, Kendrys Morales and Raul Ibanez after the Mariners finished fifth in the league last year* in runs scored on the road. Thsi year the Mariners led all teams with 58 homeruns in 33 Spring Training games (the Red Sox had 17 homeruns in 35 Spring Training games).

"real value is to them is long term as a hitter"

Yes, a DH.

Bingo.

It takes a while for you but at the end you do come around to my point of view.

It just takes you much longer than most.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Why did they trade Jaso?

"real value is to them is long term as a hitter"

Yes, a DH.

Bingo.

It takes a while for you but at the end you do come around to my point of view.

It just takes you much longer than most.

Your ever evolving opinion. Now Montero can hit yesterday he couldn't he was batting 7th in a weak line up.

Until your theory was punched apart by Hill55

Zunino is one of the top young catching prospects in all of baseball both defensively and with a bat.

Naturally with both he and Montero in the same line-up on the same roster, Montero would either catch or DH.

This is the season Montero emerges. More lumber in the line up for protection and a year under his belt.