You Be the GM. What (realistically) would be your ideal Sox roster for 2013?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishPride39. Show IrishPride39's posts

You Be the GM. What (realistically) would be your ideal Sox roster for 2013?

We all know tha the free agent market this year is weak at best. The Sox have a ton of holes to fill and it seems as most of their work to fill the roster will most likely come via trade. In all seriousness, what would you do to put a competive, winning, and "likable" team on the Fenway green in 2013.

First off, I would use Ellsbury as a trade chip. I like him as a player but he's inconsistent, injury prone and has every intention of testing the free agent market in 2014. 

Although I will probably get crucified for this, I am fan of Josh Hamilton. I understand he is one relapse away from having a clinic named after him but from everything I've read he's a great guy and  a great clubhouse presence. Although he's 31 and has some injury concerns he's been a solid contributer. I know the Sox don't want to get back into the same type of albatross salaries they just dumped but a shorter, front loaded contract such as 4 years 100+ with an out clause for any issues relating to his history might be enticing. So his 40+ home runs and 120+ RBI might look pretty good behind Ortiz and Middlebrooks.

Side note, I posted earlier that I think it's quite possible that it wouldn't take too much to get J. Johnson from Miami if the Sox took on Reyes' contract. Just putting that there so I remain consistent.

I also think that Swisher would make a great addition to the Sox in both the lineup and the clubhouse provided he comes off of his demand for a Jason Werth type contract.

Lasty, before I put together my line up I am one of the many that fall in love with and overvalue the Sox prospects but I understand you've got give up something to get something. With that said I think the only untouchables on the farm, in my humble opinion, would be Bogaerts, Barnes, Bradley, Owens and possibly Brentz.

Here I go,

SS-Reyes, 2B-Pedroia, DH-Ortiz, LF-Ross, CF-Hamilton, 3B-Middlebrooks, C-Napoli, 1B- Morneau, RF-Swisher.

Bench - Lavarnway, Ciriaco, Sweeney, Sands

Rotation - Lester, J.Johnson, Buccholtz, Lackey, Peavey/Sanchez

To be considered - De La Rosa

Pen - Bailey, Bard, Hill, Balfour, Morales, Breslow, Tazawa

Traded - Ells, Salty, Doubront, Iglasias.

Let the bashing begin.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: You Be the GM. What (realistically) would be your ideal Sox roster for 2013?

Is it bashing I tell you that your idea for a roster compares to me when I was seven years old and used to move baseball cards around on the living room floor, aligning them into make-believe teams?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: You Be the GM. What (realistically) would be your ideal Sox roster for 2013?

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is it bashing I tell you that your idea for a roster compares to me when I was seven years old and used to move baseball cards around on the living room floor, aligning them into make-believe teams?

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but in an incredibly creative and considerate way :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to IrishPride39's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We all know tha the free agent market this year is weak at best. The Sox have a ton of holes to fill and it seems as most of their work to fill the roster will most likely come via trade. In all seriousness, what would you do to put a competive, winning, and "likable" team on the Fenway green in 2013.

First off, I would use Ellsbury as a trade chip. I like him as a player but he's inconsistent, injury prone and has every intention of testing the free agent market in 2014. 

Although I will probably get crucified for this, I am fan of Josh Hamilton. I understand he is one relapse away from having a clinic named after him but from everything I've read he's a great guy and  a great clubhouse presence. Although he's 31 and has some injury concerns he's been a solid contributer. I know the Sox don't want to get back into the same type of albatross salaries they just dumped but a shorter, front loaded contract such as 4 years 100+ with an out clause for any issues relating to his history might be enticing. So his 40+ home runs and 120+ RBI might look pretty good behind Ortiz and Middlebrooks.

Side note, I posted earlier that I think it's quite possible that it wouldn't take too much to get J. Johnson from Miami if the Sox took on Reyes' contract. Just putting that there so I remain consistent.

I also think that Swisher would make a great addition to the Sox in both the lineup and the clubhouse provided he comes off of his demand for a Jason Werth type contract.

Lasty, before I put together my line up I am one of the many that fall in love with and overvalue the Sox prospects but I understand you've got give up something to get something. With that said I think the only untouchables on the farm, in my humble opinion, would be Bogaerts, Barnes, Bradley, Owens and possibly Brentz.

Here I go,

SS-Reyes, 2B-Pedroia, DH-Ortiz, LF-Ross, CF-Hamilton, 3B-Middlebrooks, C-Napoli, 1B- Morneau, RF-Swisher.

[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Here I go,

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good movie...havent seen that in years..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

U guys must recall the days when you could spread all your Topps cards out on the floor, trade them  amongst yourselves, making dream teams. It was so easy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

U guys must recall the days when you could spread all your Topps cards out on the floor, trade them  amongst yourselves, making dream teams. It was so easy.

[/QUOTE]

I used to imagine I was GM of an expansion team, so I limited myself to constructing teams with players that would be available only in expansion drafts.  I would create lineups with players like Gates Brown batting third.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

lol. No way. Tha tis hillarious and creative

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

Here I go,

[/QUOTE]

Swisher?? Thats really funny>>>>>>>Maybe include A-Rod for third......He was a Swisher during the playoffs.