Youk--all hat and no cattle

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Youk--all hat and no cattle

He's great at telling us these days how hard he plays, but doesnt back his words up. A couple of games ago he couldn't handle a line drive hit right to his glove side. Tonight on that swinging bunt he didn't try to field the ball or cover third. In the big first inning rally he struck out pathetically. He was furious that Bobby V might have called him out, but did exactly that to Ellsbury in 2010.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Youk--all hat and no cowboy

In Response to Youk--all hat and no cowboy:
    [QUOTE]He's great at telling us these days how hard he plays, but doesnt back his words up. A couple of games ago he couldn't handle a line drive hit right to his glove side. Tonight on that swinging bunt he didn't try to field the ball or cover third. In the big first inning rally he struck out pathetically. He was furious that Bobby V might have called him out, but did exactly that to Ellsbury in 2010.
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

you can't fault him for not catching that ball. it was a freakin' rocket that got SMOKED! he got screwed at the plate tonight, that ball was no strike (go back and look at it if you don't believe me. it was cody ross calibur BS) and he was not "furious" at bobby V. he said he was confused at the comments not that he was PO'd

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

mef429,

Yes, the ball was smoked, but it was hit right to his glove.  Given his lack of range, he needs to make those plays.  I did see the called third strike tonight, and it was right on the outside corner.  Oh, and Youk just struck out again.  If the ump made a bad call on the first strikeout, it was an act of mercy because Youk could claim it was a bad call.  The second time he struck out swinging. 

Youk was not confused.  That's why he went to see Bobby V the very next morning and why his buddy Pedroia went public against Bobby V.  Bobby V not only apologized profusely in the morning, he repeated it several times during yesterday's game because you can never apologize too much to Youk.  However, I believe it is a matter of record he never apologized for calling out Ellsbury and in fact said repeatedly he was right and Ellsbury was wrong.

Funny thing is, The one thing I didn't like before when I was a big Youk fan was his temper tantrums.  Now he doesn't have them, but he also doesn't seem to have any fire.  I honestly think a lot of this is because he didn't like being moved from first to third.  I will bet he can't wait to get traded or to sign a new contract elsewhere. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to Re: Youk--all hat and no cowboy:
    [QUOTE]mef429, Yes, the ball was smoked, but it was hit right to his glove.  Given his lack of range, he needs to make those plays.  I did see the called third strike tonight, and it was right on the outside corner.  Oh, and Youk just struck out again.  If the ump made a bad call on the first strikeout, it was an act of mercy because Youk could claim it was a bad call.  The second time he struck out swinging.  Youk was not confused.  That's why he went to see Bobby V the very next morning and why his buddy Pedroia went public against Bobby V.  Bobby V not only apologized profusely in the morning, he repeated it several times during yesterday's game because you can never apologize too much to Youk.  However, I believe it is a matter of record he never apologized for calling out Ellsbury and in fact said repeatedly he was right and Ellsbury was wrong. Funny thing is, The one thing I didn't like before when I was a big Youk fan was his temper tantrums.  Now he doesn't have them, but he also doesn't seem to have any fire.  I honestly think a lot of this is because he didn't like being moved from first to third.  I will bet he can't wait to get traded or to sign a new contract elsewhere. 

I am sure that he will get his wish at the end of this season. I doubt the Sox will have any interest in re-signing him after this year.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

See you in Cincy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill2. Show aussiewill2's posts

In Response to Youk--all hat and no cowboy:
    [QUOTE]He's great at telling us these days how hard he plays, but doesnt back his words up. A couple of games ago he couldn't handle a line drive hit right to his glove side. Tonight on that swinging bunt he didn't try to field the ball or cover third. In the big first inning rally he struck out pathetically. He was furious that Bobby V might have called him out, but did exactly that to Ellsbury in 2010.

ONE WORD Middlebrooks

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LegendofBoston. Show LegendofBoston's posts

Youk should've been traded in this past off season. He has definately worn out his welcome in Boston imo. Yes there may be a couple of guys left in the clubhouse that he can associate with (Pedey, Papi) but the list is very slim. I wish Ells had the balls to tell Youk to screw himself. Ells put up better numbers last year than Youk has in any of his previous seasons. Ells didnt have to say a damn thing, he let his bat and play do the talking. Take a hike Youk, your broken down, and now turning into a useless bat in our lineup. Bobby V could'nt have said it any better. Im glad someone on that team has the balls to call him out. Speaking of leaders, Papi's play is doing great but I think he could be more of a vocal leader for this team. Gonna be a long season at this rate RSN.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Hard to say on his demise as Ortiz two years in a row looked all but washed up.... it seems way to early. If we just want to talk attitude well than that is something to discuss....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In Response to Re: Youk--all hat and no cowboy:
    [QUOTE]mef429, Yes, the ball was smoked, but it was hit right to his glove.  Given his lack of range, he needs to make those plays.  I did see the called third strike tonight, and it was right on the outside corner.  Oh, and Youk just struck out again.  If the ump made a bad call on the first strikeout, it was an act of mercy because Youk could claim it was a bad call.  The second time he struck out swinging.  Youk was not confused.  That's why he went to see Bobby V the very next morning and why his buddy Pedroia went public against Bobby V.  Bobby V not only apologized profusely in the morning, he repeated it several times during yesterday's game because you can never apologize too much to Youk.  However, I believe it is a matter of record he never apologized for calling out Ellsbury and in fact said repeatedly he was right and Ellsbury was wrong. Funny thing is, The one thing I didn't like before when I was a big Youk fan was his temper tantrums.  Now he doesn't have them, but he also doesn't seem to have any fire.  I honestly think a lot of this is because he didn't like being moved from first to third.  I will bet he can't wait to get traded or to sign a new contract elsewhere. 

Yes, the strike zone was the size of an 18-wheeler, but the ump had been consistent all night with it - only Lester (pitching) and Youk (hitting) couldn't or wouldn't adjust.  Look, I don't want to get on the Youk hater bandwagon, as it's still early and he's slumping - at the plate and in the field.  His stats have waned in recent years, he strikes out more than he walks, and at his best, he was a hard-playing better-than-average guy who had a couple of good years in a stacked line-up.  As the lineup returned to Earth (sans Manny, etal), he couldn't elevate his hitting but perhaps we as fans (and Sox management) expected too much.  Look - he's a nice player (when playing well) but not a major cog at this point in his career.  He'll forever be one of the beloved "idiots" and he's got 2 rings - a darn good career.  That said, his best days are behind him even if the breaks out of the slump - and he's not worth the money he's presently being paid.  Not hating at all - his body type was never going to bespeak a long and productive career (late 30's).  He is what he is, he brought value to the team/line-up, but those days may be coming to an end.  I don't think he'll be here next year, nor should he.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Re: Youk--all hat and no cattle

Youk's downtime for injuries is likely the problem...he's just having trouble getting his timing down...I think he gets better as the season progresses barring any injuries.  His temper is still there but no problem if he can control it.  Agree with Burrito - most folks were ready to get rid of Papi - we'd be screwed if we had. Youk will come around as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Got to agree about the timing issue.  Youk's peculiar batting style requires more timing than the normal setup.  He will get it down and go on a tear, almost guaranteed.  But the possibility that Youk is a clubhouse cancer is my concern.  He had problems with Manny (and I figured Youk was on the high road in that one), then he had problems with Ells.  Now he has problems with Beckett and Bobby V. 

If he could be traded now for a good bullpen arm and a young RH OF prospect, I'd trade him and bring up Middlebrooks.  This team would get instantly better with another dependable arm in the pen, and a 3Bman who can hit and field better than Youk is doing right now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fortguy. Show fortguy's posts

clubhouse cancer..well put...lol...(wait...very expensive clubhouse cancer_

looks like there is about to be a revolution of the people in red sox nation....the faithful are getting ready with their pitchforks and torches to march on yawkey way.....tom, jean, and haywood sullivan are looking better and better these days.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I like that some have defended Youk because he has been a mainstay with the Sox, especially at 1B where he even won a gold glove, to say nothing of those rbi's and OPS's over .900.  Plus he seemed to care a lot about the game and hustled on every play, ran out every grounder, etc.  

I do think part of his problem is/was going back to 3B, the position he was developed to play, and suddenly being very much the 2d banana to AGon, Ortiz, Pedroia, and, heaven forbid, even Ellsbury, the guy he slammed in 2010.  At 3B his lack of range became instantly apparent, as was his weight gain.  And his injuries, 2009 and after, have kept him off the field and relegated him to unofficial cheerleader which I'm guessing must grow old awfully fast.  

I don't know enough about hitting to comment on the timing issue, but suspect it does help to explain this spring and the late seasons in previous years when getting tired might have affected his timing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

A few years ago, Youk was the heart of the club, offensively and defensively, and a clubhouse leader.  So, it would have been very difficult for the front office to justify moving him (what with the inevitable, impending arrival of Gonzalez), despite the signs of wear and tear and potential early breakdown. 

But, watching the game last night, I found myself, again, fantasizing whistfully about what this club would be like, right now, as otherwise constructed, with the two Adrians at the corners.  

Alas.

That being said, I am not giving up on Youk yet.  This groin thing could be the nail in the coffin for his Sox tenure, and, if it lingers, I say bring up Middlebrooks or Iggy sooner than later.  i don't want to watch Kevin limp through like he did last year.  But, if he can stay healthy, I see no reason why he shouldn't settle in to being the line-drive power, on base machine that he has been prior to the last two injury-riddled seasons.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Youk is past his prime. His hard play has taken it's toll and he'll never regain the form we've enjoyed in the past. The fact that he is no longer the "star" player on this team, is also part of the problem.

Face it, he's 33, relatively still young enough to compete for anyone not name Youkilis. He is just wore out. It happens. If he could go back to 1B or DH for someone, he may have a couple of good years left.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I'll give Tough Guy Youk 200 ABs before I totally give up on him, however I have no expectation that he will rebound in a significant way. He is simply lost up there about 75% of the time and is earning a nickname change from The Greek God of Walks, to The Greek God of Strikeouts.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

I thought Jeter was done last year, but appears to still have some left. I guess the key difference is that Youklis has always been injury prone and Jeter never was. Still; I think you have to give him the full season to find out what kind of player you have left. If he hit .260; OBP .365 with 70 RBI's and doesn't cost too many runs on the field; is ther really anyone else who would give you more?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

good post, pri. When a hitter looks that lost at the plate, it's usually due to a timing issue. All he can do is play through it and find his swing. time will tell

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Sox are paying Youk about 15 mil to play this year.  I gather the haters think he should be benched and replaced with a minor leaguer.  If this team that the owners have already declared "more money" to be off limits is to have any shot this year, Youk has got to be at 3rd.  Take a close look fans, Youk is not the real problem on this team.  I place starting pitching, the BP and Ells injury ahead of the Youk issue.  Youk is healthy (we think) and will come around.  His feelings may be hurt, his batting and fielding not up to Youk standards but let's give this guy a pass for now...no one deserves it more.