Youk's Hitting Woes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Youk's Hitting Woes

Is it as obvious to you as it is to me? He is rolling over everything, which is causing him to beat the ball into the ground or have a lot of swings and misses.
    With the way he is swinging, he can't drive the ball, unless he hits it the other way, which makes it near impossible to roll over it, cause he has to keep his hands inside.

On a natural swing, the wrists roll over after the ball is driven, not when the bat meets the ball.
    I would take him to the forest, give him an axe, and let him chop down a tree or two to get his swing right.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Youk's Hitting Woes

His batted ball profile is scary.  He is striking out on nearly 27% of his at bats and almost 70% of the balls he has put in play have been on the ground.  Given his injury history you have to wonder whether it's finally started to take a toll on his body.  I imagine that some of it is simply pressing as it's hard to believe that a player that had such good plate discipline could fall off a cliff so quickly as his physical skills diminish, but it is concerning.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

He's also getting on top of everything too.  He'd benefit by waiting on the ball and going opposite field.  I think they could get him going again......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll work on those corrections today with Youk. Much obliged.

Dave Magadan

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I don't think he is washed up. Too young for that. What I see is that pitchers have figured out how to pitch to him. And , he has not made the adjustments needed. He needs to stop trying to pull everything. Stay on the curve ball and hit it where it is pitched. That's what he did when he first came up. I think the move to clean up caused him to always think home run. If he continues to do that , he will be strictly a mistake hitter.     P.S. I think Magadan is an excellent batting coach , but Youk has to be receptive to it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

It's also causing him to be too quick through the zone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

The minute Gonzalez was signed, Youk should have been traded. This isnt hindsight, it was obvious he  had a comfort zone at 1st and the move to third would be too much on his mind and body. He had a lot of trade value at that time. I think that was their first mistake in the current collapse

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: Youk's Hitting Woes:
    [QUOTE]The minute Gonzalez was signed, Youk should have been traded. This isnt hindsight, it was obvious he  had a comfort zone at 1st and the move to third would be too much on his mind and body. He had a lot of trade value at that time. I think that was their first mistake in the current collapse
    Posted by sundvl20[/QUOTE]
    I am sure he sees Middlebrooks gaining on him in his rear view mirror , and wonders if a trade is coming. That is only human.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Youk's Hitting Woes:
    [QUOTE]It's also causing him to be too quick through the zone.
    Posted by harv53[/QUOTE]

exactly

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Youk may well be breaking down, then again change the name to Ortiz and the current dialoge was happening in 2009 and 2010 in April of those years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Over the last few years, Youk hasn't come close to putting up the full seasons of production numbers that Ortiz has. Youk, at his athletic peak years, was never a true power hitter. Now that he is aging out, you get a guy with a slumping OBP without much season long slugging power and/or pop. 

I have always liked Youk, but it's time to call the Reds and Indians and give Middlebrooks his 100 plus games MLB look. As soon as Youk comes up a little off the season lows, he should net back a solid pen arm, and paying a large percentage of the pro-rata Youk 2012 salary will still cut payroll slightly and provide better defense at 3rd and nothing more than, at the most, a small drop--off in plate work.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I'd move Youk to Left... Out. Or Right... On the bench.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

The best way to get him to start hitting again is to make him hit the other way. He is trying to yank everything, and he is such an intense guy, it's hard to get him to relax and go with the pitch right now. He's frustrated and trying to do too much.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Floridamorgan. Show Floridamorgan's posts

I agree with Youklis needing more time to get himself back & into the action.  You're all saying the right things; problem is, if Valentine were saying them he'd be crucified and the players would be ready to go on strike.

Just about everywhere you look on the Sox, there're problems, especially the whole dam#%^ pitching corps.  But we've got to give Valentine some slack & let him find out what they're made of.  So what if he keeps Bard in a bit too long.  We've been hearing how great Bard is for the last three years & I have yet to see him produce consistently.  O.K., management has been bringing in all these relievers and look at the crap they're throwing.  They're giving other teams batting practice.

I like a lot of the Sox players, but if we let them enjoy rock star status and then they quit on a damn decent manager in Tito last season, I say Valentine needs to put them on notice that they've got to bring something back to  us for all the loyalty and treasure we give them.  Give 'em Hell, Bobby!!

Floridamorgan