1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: Your move Ben, Choo makes Yanks or Sox better

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

[QUOTE]

Who exactly would Choo replace for the Sox?  How about for the Yanks?

So we would pay over $100 million for a guy who is Daniel Nava?  I thought we already had that guy for about say... $100 million less.  The margin of upgrade between a Gomes and Nava platoon is so marginal between them and Choo, that it makes no sense to sign him.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/daniel-nava-jonny-gomes-and-throwing-out-the-platoon/

the Red Sox left fielders put up the team’s most valuable season for the position since 2009, also known as “the last year Jason Bay was any good”.

[/QUOTE]

JBJ has done absolutely nothing at the major league level yet this is the second year in a row some fans think he can step right in and help.  Carp is a liability defensively, Gomes and Nava equal one which is why they platoon and Brentz adds up to another future platoon player.

Our only reliable every day OF left is Victorino's if he can stay in the lineup.  Our 3B position already rests on a rookie or Middy who is a horrible OB guy and 1B has yet to be filled along with SS where Drew was also awful at the plate.  Papi remains our only reliable power bat (again if he remains healthy) and we just lost our best leadoff batter and SB guy.       

If Choo isn't the answer please tell me who you prefer and please don't say Davis because he is another platoon guy who's best production would be replacing Gomes.

[/QUOTE]

a 777OPS for a MLB SS is one of the top 5. Drew was hardly awful. streaky? yes. awful? no way.

Middy may have a lower OBP but he has 30HR power. Thats the trade off and something you dont give up on after 2 injury filled seasons and some growing pains.

Im not a fan of Choo getting 100M. thats foolish money for the soon to be 32yo.

Im thinking there will be a trade with a name none of us thought of too seriously. Choo is NOT the answer though.

Nava is closer to Choo than you give him credit for. He has closer splits than him. Pretty even with the glove and he has a good arm. Choo is better, but not by 100M.

[/QUOTE]

Agree completely. Plus, the RS are not going to give up a 1st round pick unless they need to, and I seriously doubt Choo is the guy they would do it for.

Also, it is somewhat amazing and alarming to me how many people continue to insist that Drew was not good this year...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Since Ellsbury and Cano won the deals over the owner, Choo is going to make sure he will demand as much money as he can.  He will not come in cheap for either Yankees or Boston.

Forget it!!

Boston need to worry about if Bogaerts is capable to play SS or resign Drew and find a good power hitting 1b.  There are alot of out there.   CF may not be important anymore cuz every single OF are demanding too much money!!!  Use Bradley or maybe make a trade with the Dodgers!!   Probably would save Boston a huge amount of money!!

[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I think theyre more worried about Middy at 3b than Xander at SS.

Choo makes no sense. I already was trying to make the Choo/Nava comparison. Sure Choo is a better OBP, but not by a lot. I can handle a .380 OBP and a 300BA from Nava. That, and hes more versitile, OF/1b. and all for 500K, not 100M. waste of $$$.

Look for either Lackey or Doubront to be in a traded. About 8 teams have asked about them and if the deal makes sense, it will get done. Maybe they fill a hole that way. By signing 2 RHP for the pen, the next logical move is to lose one of the 7 starters you have.

Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Peavy, Dempster, Workman, Doubront

[/QUOTE] You forgot Webster, Ranaudo, Owens, RDLR, Barnes!!! Never have to much starting pitching!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I wouldn't sign Choo. Time to make trades and then think of guys you can add to the mix after the trades.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

a 777OPS for a MLB SS is one of the top 5. Drew was hardly awful. streaky? yes. awful? no way.

And really, I wouldn't even call him streaky. His two poor months were April (517 OPS), coming off the concussion, and July (700), when he also had a stint on the DL. The rest of his season? 771 OPS in May, 791 in June, 867 in August, and 859 in September. That's four strong months and two poor ones when he was hurt - but if you look closer, it was really a really bad week and a half after he came off the DL in April, and a really bad week after he came off the DL in July. That's it.

I'd argue he was way more consistent than, say, Napoli, who seemed to go cold for long stretches of the season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

[QUOTE]

So we would pay over $100 million for a guy who is Daniel Nava?  I thought we already had that guy for about say... $100 million less.  The margin of upgrade between a Gomes and Nava platoon is so marginal between them and Choo, that it makes no sense to sign him.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/daniel-nava-jonny-gomes-and-throwing-out-the-platoon/

the Red Sox left fielders put up the team’s most valuable season for the position since 2009, also known as “the last year Jason Bay was any good”.

JBJ has done absolutely nothing at the major league level yet this is the second year in a row some fans think he can step right in and help.  Carp is a liability defensively, Gomes and Nava equal one which is why they platoon and Brentz adds up to another future platoon player.

Our only reliable every day OF left is Victorino's if he can stay in the lineup.  Our 3B position already rests on a rookie or Middy who is a horrible OB guy and 1B has yet to be filled along with SS where Drew was also awful at the plate.  Papi remains our only reliable power bat (again if he remains healthy) and we just lost our best leadoff batter and SB guy.       

If Choo isn't the answer please tell me who you prefer and please don't say Davis because he is another platoon guy who's best production would be replacing Gomes.

Middy may have a lower OBP but he has 30HR power. Thats the trade off and something you dont give up on after 2 injury filled seasons and some growing pains.

Im thinking there will be a trade with a name none of us thought of too seriously. Choo is NOT the answer though.

Nava is closer to Choo than you give him credit for. He has closer splits than him. Pretty even with the glove and he has a good arm. Choo is better, but not by 100M.

Agree completely. Plus, the RS are not going to give up a 1st round pick unless they need to, and I seriously doubt Choo is the guy they would do it for.

Also, it is somewhat amazing and alarming to me how many people continue to insist that Drew was not good this year...

[/QUOTE]

Like I said, last year I predicted we make the playoffs while most thought we would have a 500 season at best.  I will wait for all the moves to be put into place again before I predict 2014 but will predict this ...

If we continue to play Middy and bring back Drew in addition to playing JBJ and Bogy on a regular basis it will be trouble.  Without properly replacing Ells with a dependable (every day) starter either before the season or early on during we may not even make the playoffs.  Bogy will be the best player out of all of them next season but I still won't expect miracles in his first full season. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thank you for backing me up on that.  I have been trying to get across just how similar Choo and Nava are and why there is absolutely no way the Sox want to pay $100+ million for a player that is about the exact same player as Nava when he plays for league minimum.  Good luck on trying to convince others to anything different even after posting stats side by side.

Fact remains that Nava had a great year because the team realized he needed a platoon mate and they found that in Gomes.  Nava has always excelled at hitting right handed hitting like Choo and last year the team set him up for success.    Nava can play right, first and left field.  Both are not good defenders, but both hit enough to make you look over that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

[QUOTE]

Like I said, last year I predicted we make the playoffs while most thought we would have a 500 season at best.  I will wait for all the moves to be put into place again before I predict 2014 but will predict this ...

If we continue to play Middy and bring back Drew in addition to playing JBJ and Bogy on a regular basis it will be trouble.  Without properly replacing Ells with a dependable (every day) starter either before the season or early on during we may not even make the playoffs.  Bogy will be the best player out of all of them next season but I still won't expect miracles in his first full season. 

[/QUOTE]

I hear what you're saying. I'm optimistic about JBJ, and hopefully Middlebrooks can only get better, but I would prefer to add offense somewhere. Don't know yet how that will happen. But it's difficult for me to see the Sox breaking the bank for Choo, especially if the Yankees end up bidding for him as well... I'd almost rather trade for Kemp and pay him the same money if his med records and physical check out and we don't have to give up too much.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would prefer them to go with Jackie Bradley Jr and keep the exceptional platoon of Gomes and Nava with Victorino in right.  I would like them to pick up a veteran backup in case of injury or poor performance for $5 million or less like Gutierrez.  That leaves us with some change to offer an extension to Lester before the season as well as picking up Hart for first base.

None of those choices forced the Sox to give up a draft pick.  All the moves they have done so far has shown they are very interested in the picks back for Napoli, Ells and Drew and do not want to give one up to sign a player.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would prefer them to go with Jackie Bradley Jr and keep the exceptional platoon of Gomes and Nava with Victorino in right.  I would like them to pick up a veteran backup in case of injury or poor performance for $5 million or less like Gutierrez.  That leaves us with some change to offer an extension to Lester before the season as well as picking up Hart for first base.

None of those choices forced the Sox to give up a draft pick.  All the moves they have done so far has shown they are very interested in the picks back for Napoli, Ells and Drew and do not want to give one up to sign a player.

[/QUOTE]

How many draft picks do you really think we need before actually going out and replacing our best (every day) players with something other than more platoon guys?  We have a ton of prospects and what is considered a great farm.  What we no longer have is a reliable leadoff hitter or very dependable OF.  We probably won't have it on the farm or in JBJ for at the very least another year or two in my opinion.  We have a ton of pitching and IF prospects so at the (very very very) least you would think we could trade a few at like positions for a solid young OF or 1B prospect to some team with opposite needs.

Pede already said he hates leading off and hasn't done well when he has.  Nava and Gomes don't have the speed or long term solutions in my opinion.  This leaves Victorino who can probably fill the slot but for how many games? 

... Middy, low OBS with power spells inconsistency

... Drew, low OBP and Mr. inconstency

... Bogy, great upside but a rookie that spells inconsistency

... JBJ, Ditto who in my opinion will take longer than Bogy to reach his potential

... Carp, decent platoon but horrible defense

... Gomes and Nava, decent platoon but Nava had a career year that could go either way

... Victorino, our most dependable OF but will probably hit the DL often

... Papi, our only reliable power hitter/OBP again who can't last forever and nobody can replace

... Pede, Mr. reliable

... Ross and AJ, will cover our need

... Napoli or Hart, they are basically SO/OBP twins who should platoon with Nava or any better defensive 1B than Carp.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If we go this way we are taking a huge risk.  You are replacing almost 1/2 of the batting order with 2 very untested rookies(JBJ and Boggie), 1 second year players(WMB ), which had his 1 year of service time split into 2 seasons with a half a year in AAA mixed in, and the 4th an aging catcher of at best a lateral move.

the guys you lost batted 1, 5, 7, and 8 as an average.  AJ replaces Salty reasonably well both offensively and defensively.  The 2 rookies are total unknowns, albeit with huge potential.  WMB is a total crapshoot.  I think that team is 2 offensive players short of where they have to be, 1 at 1st base, and one in the OF.  SS/3B would be a bonus upgrade.

My roster would be

1B Naps

2B Peddy

SS Boggy(drew as a bonus)

3B WMB(backed up by boogie if drew resigned)

C AJ/Ross

LF Nava/gomes/carp

CF Victorino or Choo

RF Victorino or Kemp

DH Papi

Also trade 1 SP from current top 5(Lester, Buch, Lacky, Peavy, dempster)(prefer dempster or peavy) for an additional upgrade or serious MLB near ready prospects.  Would love to get 3B or SS upgrade for combination of SP, WMB, and prospect or two if trade bait not used on Kemp.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[/QUOTE]

How many draft picks do you really think we need before actually going out and replacing our best (every day) players with something other than more platoon guys?  We have a ton of prospects and what is considered a great farm.  What we no longer have is a reliable leadoff hitter or very dependable OF.  We probably won't have it on the farm or in JBJ for at the very least another year or two in my opinion.  We have a ton of pitching and IF prospects so at the (very very very) least you would think we could trade a few at like positions for a solid young OF or 1B prospect to some team with opposite needs.

Pede already said he hates leading off and hasn't done well when he has.  Nava and Gomes don't have the speed or long term solutions in my opinion.  This leaves Victorino who can probably fill the slot but for how many games? 

... JBJ, Ditto who in my opinion will take longer than Bogy to reach his potential

... Gomes and Nava, decent platoon but Nava had a career year that could go either way

... Papi, our only reliable power hitter/OBP again who can't last forever and nobody can replace

... Pede, Mr. reliable

... Napoli or Hart, they are basically SO/OBP twins who should platoon with Nava or any better defensive 1B than Carp.

[/QUOTE]

The point you bring up that this team is without a true leadoff hitter is a very real problem we are going to have.  I think this team will play Nava in there for the most part and have Victorino spell him when Gomes is in.

The focus of the team is to stock draft picks and build through development for long term financial viability.  I think if any of the guys we gave a QO for get a deal, then it is good for our long term future.  The path is a familiar one because the Sox have been consistent with letting aging players go when they can get a draft pick.

We don't hit all the time, but these picks have netted us some of the best players on our team in past years and some other valuable pieces for trades.  As for how many draft picks do we need?  I would say two draft picks to hit on every one player looking at the players here.  There are some home runs, useful players and huge busts.

Clay = compensation for Pedro Martinez leaving

Ells = compensation for Orlando Cabrera leavin

Craig Hansen = DLowe

Bard = Johnny Damon

Aaron Bates = Bill Mueller

Nick Hagadone = Alex Gonzalez

Ryan Dent = Kieth Foulke

Brian Price = Gagne

Kolbrin Vitek = Wagner

Anthony Ranuado = Wagner

Bryce Brentz =Jason Bay

Workman =Jason Bay

Matt Barnes = Victor Martinez

Blake Swihart= Adrien Beltre

Henry Owens=VMart

Jackie Bradley=Beltre

Brian Johnson= Papelbon

Pat Light = Papelbon

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

The guy is worth more than Jacoby and gives us a legitimate leadoff hitter.  Choo would also put the yankees back in the mix if they grab him and beef up their pitching because he pretty much erases Cano's value at a much cheaper price. 

Come on Ben, replace an every day starter with a better one.  No need to throw JBJ in CF and hope for the best just yet unless we have guys like Choo and Victorino in the corners.

We need this guy!

Choo is as good a hitter as Ellsbury, with a bit more power, but his downfall is his inability to hit LH'ers. It would drive RSN to distraction, although he did improve in that area near the end of last season. Hes an on base machine though. Hes a good baserunner, but not quite the speed of Ellsbury. On balance, he would produce about the same production, if in different ways.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

... Pede, Mr. reliable

[/QUOTE]

The point you bring up that this team is without a true leadoff hitter is a very real problem we are going to have.  I think this team will play Nava in there for the most part and have Victorino spell him when Gomes is in.

The focus of the team is to stock draft picks and build through development for long term financial viability.  I think if any of the guys we gave a QO for get a deal, then it is good for our long term future.  The path is a familiar one because the Sox have been consistent with letting aging players go when they can get a draft pick.

We don't hit all the time, but these picks have netted us some of the best players on our team in past years and some other valuable pieces for trades.  As for how many draft picks do we need?  I would say two draft picks to hit on every one player looking at the players here.  There are some home runs, useful players and huge busts.

Craig Hansen = DLowe

Bard = Johnny Damon

Ryan Dent = Kieth Foulke

Brian Price = Gagne

Kolbrin Vitek = Wagner

Anthony Ranuado = Wagner

Bryce Brentz =Jason Bay

Workman =Jason Bay

Henry Owens=VMart

Jackie Bradley=Beltre

Brian Johnson= Papelbon

Pat Light = Papelbon

[/QUOTE]

Mike Napoli=Luke Weaver

Stephen Drew=Derek Hill

Jacoby Ellsbury=Ti'quan Forbes

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[/QUOTE]

Craig Hansen = DLowe

Bard = Johnny Damon

Ryan Dent = Kieth Foulke

Brian Price = Gagne

Kolbrin Vitek = Wagner

Anthony Ranuado = Wagner

Bryce Brentz =Jason Bay

Workman =Jason Bay

Henry Owens=VMart

Jackie Bradley=Beltre

Brian Johnson= Papelbon

Pat Light = Papelbon

[/QUOTE]

Mike Napoli=Luke Weaver

Stephen Drew=Derek Hill

Jacoby Ellsbury=Ti'quan Forbes

[/QUOTE]

Exactly how ownership sees it.  They got a year of production out of Drew and Napoli and get a first round pick to allow them to leave.  Costs them no prospects, they get a year of production and a lottery ticket.  Somebody up there loves them some lottery tickets and I don't blame them. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]

Like I said, last year I predicted we make the playoffs while most thought we would have a 500 season at best.  I will wait for all the moves to be put into place again before I predict 2014

[/QUOTE]

Are you aware that no matter how many times you talk about yourself and your brilliance in predictions, no one will be as impressed with you as you are?