Your reply to Dodgers Nation?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zetterberg80. Show Zetterberg80's posts

Re: Your reply to Dodgers Nation?

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

AGon at 1st over Napoli.... wow! That of course would have been awesome.

Is the difference between Napoli's 14 HR, 67 RBI, and .778 OPS this season and AGon's 16 HR, 74 RBI, and .803 OPS worth an extra $10-15 million (not sure where Nap is in reaching his incentives) that could be used elsewhere? Hmm. I wanted to keep AGon too, but he would not put us over the top this year, and he has not looked like the player we thought we were getting for quite some time now (really, the second half of 2011). I'm not saying he is not still a good player, but I haven't been mourning for his loss.

This is a good point that not too many people are mentioning. At the time of the trade, a lot of people thought losing Gonzalez was going to be this huge blow because they thought his downward trend last year was just a fluke.

But Gonzalez now looks like a player in pretty big decline. I don't think he will come anywhere close to being the 40 home run, .958 OPS player he was a few years ago. 

He's still a pretty good player, especially when you factor in defense, but he's not a game-changer anymore. 

And I know that Napoli has not had a monster season, but Gonzalez is still only a win or so of an upgrade over him so far this year. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We would have given away CC, Beckett and Punto for nothing in return. We'd actually have had to pay someone.

We lost a good player in AGon, but one could think of it this way: since AGon was the only player we needed to replace, we have the combined slaraies of all 4 players to do so. The left over money can and will be used to upgrade other positions. 

Like I said at the time of the deal, it would have been a great deal for us, even if we got no prospects in return.

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

The Dodgers are playoff-bound, but without the trade, I don't think the Sox are.  And without the trade, the Dodgers are still playoff-bound.

I agree the Dodgers weren't conned, but to this point, it's been better for the Sox.  But we'll see how it goes from here.

The Dodgers were not conned.  They obviously were not concerned about the salaries, but even with the big contracts that they assumed, it's not like they got nothing in return.  They picked up 3 pretty good players to give them a chance to win it all last year.  It didn't work out for them last year, but they look pretty doggone good right now.  If they win the WS this year or in the next couple of years, I'd have to say they came out ahead.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

The Dodgers are doing what they are doing in spite of the players they got from the Sox - not because of them.  They could have done what the Red Sox did - sign Napoli, Drew & Victorino, and they would have better production for far less money, and held on to their prospects.  At least this year (so far) it looks like the Sox came out on top - and I hated the trade.

Hill - ERA is meaningless.  Webster has had a great year at Pawtucket.  He has a very nice 1.153 WHIP that is inflated by command issues.  6.5 H/9 is terrific.

De La Rosa has been less convincing, especially of late.

Bingo. If the Dodgers are happy with AGon, Crawford, and Beckett, then great for them, but it seems to me that the first two have merely been decent while earning over $20 million, and the third is a disaster. Players like HanRam, Puig, Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu, etc. have had much more to do with the Dodgers' recent success.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Costs after 2012:

AGon '13-16 $21M & '17-'18 $21.5M

Craw '13 $20M, '14 $20.25M, '15 $20.5M, '16 $20.75M, '17 $21M

Beck '13 $15.75M & '14 $15.75M

Punto '13 $1.5M

Total:

'13 $58.25M (all 4) - ~$6.9 M paid by Boston = ~$51.4M

'14 $57M   (No Punto) - ~$6.9M BOS =  ~$50.1M

'15 $41.5M  (No Beckett) - ~$5.7M BOS = ~$35.8M

'16 $41.75M - ~$1.75M = ~$40M

'17 $42.5M  - ~$1.75M = ~$40.8M

'18 $21.5M (No Crawford) - ~$0.9M = ~$20.6M

TOTAL: $235M saved

The trade could be viewed as such:

We traded AGon, Crawford, Beckett, and Punto for Loney, Webster, de la Rosa, DeJesus and Sands. Sands and DeJesus were part of the deal for Hanrahan and Holt, so maybe in a sense, one could view the gain of Holt for Sands and DeJesus as Melancon = Hanrahan.

So, basically we got Webster, DLR and Holt for the 4 players we traded. However, the money saved was and will be used to sign multiple free agents from this year to 2018. On the assumption that our payroll budget will always be close to the luxury limit, we can look at the trade this way: 

Dodgers get AGon, CC, Beckett and Punto at a salary cost of about $235M.

Red Sox get Webster, DLR, Holt plus these free agents:

'13  ~$51.4M:  

Ortiz $15M, Demp $13.25M, Vict $13M, Drew $9.5M, $1M of Gomes/Ross

'14   ~$50.1M  

Ortiz $11M, Demp $13.25M, Vict $13M, Gomes $5M +$4M '13 & $6.2M of Ross

'15   ~$35.8M  

Victorino $13M + ~$33M on other free agents

'16   ~$40M on free agents

'17   ~$40.8M on free agents

'18   ~$20.6M on free agents

Total to be spent on future free agents: $134M from 2015 to 2018.

Sox4ever

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Firstly, I thank LA(and I usually hate LA teams especially the Lakers)---live in SF and we have almost the same intense rivary with their sports teams as Boston does with NY , for not letting us lose ground to the Rays. But Baltimore is still dangerously close and I hoped SF would have done the same as LA did.

Gonzo did help us yesterday and alumnus Punto did too with 2 hits. Yup, I know that AGon's stats are not much better than Naps but I would bet 90% of us Boston fans would rather have him at 1st than Naps. The key is that I don't think that LA would have taken CC, Beckett & Punto without Gonzo so discussing whether we should have kept him is a moot point, I think, so overall, I'm happy with the trade.

Re: Naps...he is an enigma ! He continues to struggle with the  strike outs. Wonder why a hitting coach can't analyze why he got 27 RBIs in 26 games in April and is in such a funk now---what is he doing wrong. Seems to be batting in slow motion. Could he have a eyesight problem? Dunno ?

Next week will be fun with 3 in SF, I'm going to 2 games, and then the 3 in LA---could this be a preview of world series ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

They are going to be saying the same thing to Rays fans after they play the Red Sox soon haha...

They are unstoppable right now...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    www.bostonsportsbuzz.com

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The Dodgers are playing without Kemp and Ramirez. Wait till they get them back. Who will beat them?

Stabbed by Foulke.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

The Dodgers are playing without Kemp and Ramirez. Wait till they get them back. Who will beat them?

Stabbed by Foulke.

Themselves.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Didn't the Dodgers have a 15-game winning streak on the road?!?  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I was wrong; they weren't 36-9 in their last 45; according to Vin Scully, it was 37-8; now it's 38-8.  Torrid.