Your thoughts on Selig deciding Theo compensation

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Your thoughts on Selig deciding Theo compensation

No - Boston should sue themelves for getting into this position to begin with.  FTR - Theo has produced two straight 3rd place teams. MLB is what have you done for me lately. 2004 & 2007 are just not a big part of this equation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

What compensation?

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

IMO this benefits RS. Have to think Selig will worry about other teams raiding other organizations top exec's if no value compensation. Cubs want to play this game that Theo took higher level job therefore no compenstaion needed. We all know who's calling the shots w/ Cubs in terms of player personnel and anyone who thinks Theo/Jed are doing different jobs than they performed from 05-09 w/ RS is dillusional, only the name of job has been changed. Lets not forget also Theo still had a year left on his contract and RS could have made him honor it, he was not a FA so to speak, so not free to move. It would be like RS hiring Joe Maddon w/ yrs still on his contract and RS claiming he's MGR / GM, we all know the job he would be performing. Really believe this will force Cubs to pony up. Hope I'm right.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Apparently the Sox think Theo's worth more than he does.

This needs to be resolved, it's dragged on long enough. Get it done and move on.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Your thoughts on Selig deciding Theo compensation:
    [QUOTE]IMO this benefits RS. Have to think Selig will worry about other teams raiding other organizations top exec's if no value compensation. Cubs want to play this game that Theo took higher level job therefore no compenstaion needed. We all know who's calling the shots w/ Cubs in terms of player personnel and anyone who thinks Theo/Jed are doing different jobs than they performed from 05-09 w/ RS is dillusional, only the name of job has been changed. Lets not forget also Theo still had a year left on his contract and RS could have made him honor it, he was not a FA so to speak, so not free to move. It would be like RS hiring Joe Maddon w/ yrs still on his contract and RS claiming he's MGR / GM, we all know the job he would be performing. Really believe this will force Cubs to pony up. Hope I'm right.   
    Posted by garyhow[/QUOTE]

You answered everything right there. What they could have done and what they did are two different things and that falls completely on the Boston ownership. Boston could have told Theo and the Cubs to shove it, but they didn't and instead, they helped Theo pack his bags and sent him off without even a wristwatch. And in doing so, saved several million in Theo's salary for 2012.

Sox are not getting anything of any special worth and to keep holding onto that dream will only make you angry. If they get a single A player with some MLB potential, that will be the compensation. I believe someone already mentioned that before.

Comparing a GM who brought his team to two straight third place finsihes and a manager who is considered by many to be the best in baseball are two completely different things. IMO - They are not even in the same hemisphere.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

It is hard to know what exactly happened with this non-sense but clearly MLB messed up by letting it drag on for months.

The Red Sox shouldn't have let Theo walk on a "good faith" offer or handshake agreement of compensation but really to me it goes back to Selig, if compensation is in fact owed Selig shouldn't have let the deal be completed until compensation was settled.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Cubs didn't "raid" the Sox. They were given permission to work out a deal with Theo. Once it was made public, does anyone really think Theo could have come back here and eveything would all be good?  Seriously?

I'd be happy if the Cubs would just take Jenks and his $6M and call it even.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]It is hard to know what exactly happened with this non-sense but clearly MLB messed up by letting it drag on for months. The Red Sox shouldn't have let Theo walk on a "good faith" offer or handshake agreement of compensation but really to me it goes back to Selig, if compensation is in fact owed Selig shouldn't have let the deal be completed until compensation was settled.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

I just don't see how this can be laid at the feet of Selig. And believe me, I probably dislike Selig more than anyone here. You make a decision and live with the consequences. That is what my old man told me and this is what Boston is learning now. They should have known better before they gave their blessing. Like Moon said, if you can convince Chicago to take on one of your over-paid, unwanted players, that might make everyone happy. But I don't think the Sox even get that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your thoughts on Selig deciding Theo compensation : I just don't see how this can be laid at the feet of Selig. And believe me, I probably dislike Selig more than anyone here. You make a decision and live with the consequences. That is what my old man told me and this is what Boston is learning now. They should have known better before they gave their blessing. Like Moon said, if you can convince Chicago to take on one of your over-paid, unwanted players, that might make everyone happy. But I don't think the Sox even get that.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

The answer is "precedent".  IF and I stress IF, compensation is owed it is unacceptable the MLB allowed the teams to decide it on their own timeline.

I agree though, if the Red Sox believed they were owed compensation, they should have secured it before allowing Theo to leave.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Again, precedent works in both ways. MLB is of the opinion that the Commissioner stepping in on compensation issues which involve excutives is a bad precedent.

I am not being a homer on this, but I just don't see this working out as many in RSN had hoped. Again, I like Moon's idea of getting Chicago to accept some high salaried, unwanted player like Jenks. Afterall, Theo signed him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Your thoughts on Selig deciding Theo compensation : Based on what? Please point to the history where compensation for an executive who took a promotion was an all star caliber pitcher or a top ten prospect. Once you find that for me then I will think about your lawsuit suggestion...of course I don't think I will hear back from you with the information I have requested 
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

The White Sox got two of the Marlins' top 5 prospects for Ozzie Guillen...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/09/white-sox-expected-to-acquire-osvaldo-martinez-for-ozzie.html

Theo is more valuable than Ozzie Guillen...

So by the transitive property, the Sox should get something of value for Theo...

And also I love all the people who talk down to others for suggesting Garza as compensation as if they are sitting next to Ben while the deliberations were being made...

Sure Garza might be a too much in such an unprecented trade for compensation, but if one of the best GMs in the game who gets promoted to basically running one of the most well-known organizations in the world isn't worth at least a higher level prospect, then literally nothing or no one is...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Strange how fans now want to extol the exploits of Theo as so great that the Sox should receive top talent for hiring Theo.  This board has long been of the opinion that Theo should have been fired a long time ago.  Why not just be happy to finally get what fans have asked for with Theo?  My guess is that if compensation is given it will be some token unwanted player from the Cubs.  Good riddance Theo - it will be harder to ruin the Cubs since they are already in ruin.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your thoughts on Selig deciding Theo compensation : The White Sox got two of the Marlins' top 5 prospects for Ozzie Guillen... http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/09/white-sox-expected-to-acquire-osvaldo-martinez-for-ozzie.html Theo is more valuable than Ozzie Guillen... So by the transitive property, the Sox should get something of value for Theo... And also I love all the people who talk down to others for suggesting Garza as compensation as if they are sitting next to Ben while the deliberations were being made... Sure Garza might be a too much in such an unprecented trade for compensation, but if one of the best GMs in the game who gets promoted to basically running one of the most well-known organizations in the world isn't worth at least a higher level prospect, then literally nothing or no one is...
    Posted by mannyortez3424[/QUOTE]

A field manager will always be worth more to another team than a F.O. Executive.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I'd bet that if we even get compensation via a player, it will be one who nobody ever heard of and he will never see a Major League roster.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Your thoughts on Selig deciding Theo compensation:
    [QUOTE]Just read that commissioner was called in by the teams to settle the issue. I see nothing good coming from this as Selig as stated he does not think anything of value is needed to compensate for FO execs. If sox do not get Garza or top ten prospect out of this I would hope they would sue Selig personally, MLB and Theo. Add to causes of actiona against Theo the gross negligent transactions that will cause RS to be also rans for years to come. Does anyone on the board see anything good coming from this? I hope some do and will tell me what good will come. Thanks.
    Posted by teddybaseball009[/QUOTE]

The only thing i see is that sox should not have released Theo to the cubs. If CUBS wanted Theo bad enough we might have forced them to give sox something of value.OR Sox could have made Theo sit idle for a year. Thats what should have been done.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

I met Bud Selig June 4, 2001 at the Sam Cohen Sportsman of the year Dinner honoring John L. Harrington. I went with my close brother John, who has since past and friend Al. There was a cocktail party before the dinner in the lower level of Lombardo's in Randolph with Selig. 

This was one of my favorite dinners as the Dais included: Dan Duquette, John Buckley, Mike Andrews, Dick Beradino, John Kennedy, Frank Malzone, Dr. Jim Lonborg, Gerry Moses, Jim Rice, Pesky Dom DiMaggio, Rico Petrocelli, Eddie Pellagrini, Harry Sinden, Dick Flavin Gene Lavanchy, Gene DeFilippo, Rev. Leahy, and the late Will McDonough. There were others too.

Well, Al and myself at the time were in a fantasy baseball league and we thought it would be fun to propose a trade Al and I were contemplating. I do not remember the players involved, but we proposed the trade to Selig. While signing my baseball, Bud laughed and stated..."if the trade is fair and reasonable to both parties, then its a good trade". We all laughted. It was one of the funniest "Beavis moments", asking the Commish of all of MLB to sanction a Fantasy trade. Priceless.

So the moral of the story is: " as long as it is fair and reasonable" then the Sox and Cubs should get the compensation done.

Final note, I bumped into Dan Dquette. It was first year he got Manny for the Sox. I asked Dan, "I didn't know Manny was a singles hitter". It was an obvious joke, but Dan had a complete dumbfounded look, like a robot that was about to sizzle. Priceless.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I would imagine the Presidents job was just a way of trying to negotiate their way around the compensation issue,as for Compensation isn't it generally concluded that Theo was the architect of the two WSC teams? Also wasnt there an agreement in place for compensation to be paid should the Cubs sign Theo? If this is the case then it is not the Cubs right to choose the compensation it should be the aggrieved parties right to choose what they consider fair compensation. As for suing the Sox would easily win any lawsuit regarding cooperate raiding procedures practiced by the Cubs,they contacted Theo long before they asked for permission and this much has been admitted in live interviews by Theo himself and based upon MLB's own bylaws this is considered tampering! I don't blame the Sox for wanting what they consider to be equal value in return for the Cubs tampering with a contracted employee of the Boston Red Sox. Bud Selig will s krew the pooch and both teams will be dissatisfied with his determination of compensation.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fan72. Show fan72's posts

Sox should never have let Theo go w/out compensation decided. Will get nothing of value now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Fair and reasonable compensation for Theo:

I don't care if i ever get back...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your thoughts on Selig deciding Theo compensation : You answered everything right there. What they could have done and what they did are two different things and that falls completely on the Boston ownership. Boston could have told Theo and the Cubs to shove it, but they didn't and instead, they helped Theo pack his bags and sent him off without even a wristwatch. And in doing so, saved several million in Theo's salary for 2012. Sox are not getting anything of any special worth and to keep holding onto that dream will only make you angry. If they get a single A player with some MLB potential, that will be the compensation. I believe someone already mentioned that before. Comparing a GM who brought his team to two straight third place finsihes and a manager who is considered by many to be the best in baseball are two completely different things. IMO - They are not even in the same hemisphere.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Not expecting Garza type compensation, but believe it will more than some non descript A player who may never make it to AA. We are talking about a GM who won more WS titles than the Yanks during his tenure, and thats saying something considering they didn't win a single in the 86 yrs prior.