Yu Darvish...Valentine's first move?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Yu Darvish...Valentine's first move?

Japanese Yakyu News

Bobby Valentine in Japan (11/27/2011)

Robert John Valentine

ボビー・バレンタイン(本名:Robertjohn Valentine)

1950年5月13日生まれ。米国コネティカット州スタンフォード出身。元プロ野球選手及び監督。
    1968年にロサンゼルス・ドジャースよりメジャーデビュー。守備はピッチャー以外のポジションを全て経験したほど、柔軟性に富んだ選手だった。メジャーリーグでの監督歴はテキサス・レンジャーズ(1985年~1992年)を経てニューヨーク・メッツ(1996年~2002年)を経験。1986年、アメリカンリーグでの最優秀監督として賞され、2000年にはニューヨーク・メッツをナショナルリーグのワールドシリーズ進出に導く。日本では2004年千葉ロッテ・マリーンズの監督に二度目の就任を果たしている。一度目は1995年、そして二度目は2004年~2009年。特に2005年には31年ぶりに日本シリーズ優勝へと導いた。アメリカ出身の監督が日本シリーズを制覇したのは初めてであった。ボビー独自の采配による快進撃は“Bobby Magic”と呼ばれたほど。同年、この快挙が認められ正力松太郎賞も受賞。またチャリティー活動にも関心が高く、ゴールデンスピリット賞の受賞歴も持つ。東日本大震災においても自身が寄付する他に、HPを通じて寄付を募るべくメッセージの呼びかけもしている。現在は米国TV局ESPNの野球解説者とコネティカット州スタンフォードの公衆健康・安全理事会のディレクターを兼務。愛称はボビー。

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Re: Yu Darvish...Valentine's first move?

It really will be interesting the potential positive impact Valentine will have on the Japanese players.  But, will it change the big money the players/teams will want?

Unfortunately, I think J. Henry may be spent on that market after the Matsuzaka deal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd just like to know what our actual budget limits are this year and how much flex is involved if a big name player is available at the right price.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If the Sox are going to gamble on an untried player from a foreign league, I'd rather try Yoennis Cespedes...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I am so interested to see how Daisuke fares upon his return.  The Sox ponied up for him heavily based on Valentine's first-hand recommendation.  And Bobby was loudly critical of ghow the Sox handled Dice.  Wonder if Bobby can get Matsuazaka on the good foot.  Kinda too bad, timing wise, that this pairing will only have a half season together.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

What do you think the bids will come in at?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

0.909 career whip...9.2 K per 9 innings...gaudy numbers...

What is that worth?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from clff. Show clff's posts

My understanding is that Darvish is trying to get divorced. I don't know Japanese law but he could be waiting for it to be final before signing for a large bonus/contract. There is also the conjecture that he wants to get to 200 career wins before leaving Japanese baseball.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Having Bobby Valentine as Manager MAY open up opportunities to sign Japanese players.  That alone might make this Managagerial choice worthwhile.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kinchow. Show Kinchow's posts

I think it'd be Benny's C's choice... Bobby only plays with the pieces he's given. 

Having said that, I'd go all out for Darvish.  There aren't any other top starting pitchers on the market, and any trade for quality will require a king's ransom. 

Go After Cespedes (sp?) and let Ortiz walk. 

use Youk as the DH but rotate him at 1B, 3B and rest OFs now and then.   This will keep everyone fresh and allow Youk to flourish again w/o the wear and tear on his body playing 3rd.

Move Aceves and Bard to the rotation. 

Take what the Free Agent market gives you and just load up on quality relief arms.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Bobby will be popular until the honeymoon is over...he has never won anything in his managerial escapades in the US.  He is very knowledgeable but not exactly player oriented.  He is exactly what the Sox need this upcoming year.  After that...we will have to see.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Bard is NOT going to the rotationYell he was a disaster in the rotation in the minors which is the reason he is in the pen now, he aint goin back!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Yu Darvish...Valentine's first move?:
    [QUOTE]Having Bobby Valentine as Manager MAY open up opportunities to sign Japanese players.  That alone might make this Managagerial choice worthwhile.
    Posted by rgmfick[/QUOTE]

It couldn't hurt, but the key for a guy like Darvish is the posting fee.  If the RS plunk down $50M, we have the rights to him, with or without Valentine.  I doubt having someone on the team that speaks Japanese will make a player change his mind if he really wants a team on the WC, or if he really wants to play for the NYY.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Send your contribution for the Yu Darvish Posting Fee Fund today!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

We already have 2 useless Japanese's pitchers why would we ever go down that road again?  I don't see it happening.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]We already have 2 useless Japanese's pitchers why would we ever go down that road again?  I don't see it happening.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Giving Boston a bad name.

We've had some bad times with every nationality and race. We've had some great times with all as well... How about Oki? Nomo? Dice-K before the injuries?

You really think their race is the reason the had some poor stretches? 

Very sad, indeed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

[QUOTE]Bobby will be popular until the honeymoon is over...he has never won anything in his managerial escapades in the US.  He is very knowledgeable but not exactly player oriented.  He is exactly what the Sox need this upcoming year.  After that...we will have to see.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

Francona hadn't won anything before either.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yu Darvish...Valentine's first move? : Giving Boston a bad name. We've had some bad times with every nationality and race. We've had some great times with all as well... How about Oki? Nomo? Dice-K before the injuries? You really think their race is the reason the had some poor stretches?  Very sad, indeed.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Has nothing to do with race and I don't know why you would bring that up?  Did I make a raciest comment or ethnic slur of any type?  Applying a label like that is very uncool.

It is simply my belief that Japanese's pitchers will never dominate in the Major leagues.  Just like an American Soccer Player will never dominate in the Premier League.  Has everything to do with Instruction, training and level of competition over the developing years.

Oki was a one year wonder thanks to his unique pitching style and thank God for that one year.  I believe he had a steady decline over the next 3 years before being exiled from the bigs.

Dice is the Poster Boy for inconsistency.  Petey he is not.  I would pass on him.

Nomo had a no hitter on, if I remember correctly, was a misty night.  That's about all I remember about his cup of coffee stay in Boston. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Nomo was a good pitcher, I had forgotten he pitched here. Oki was more than useful for two years here was he not? Dice-K cannot live down the hype or the signing fee, but otherwise he was and still may be of some use. I hope he can at least pitch the last two months of 2012 and get some cheers before we say sayonara.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Darvish has no say in where he plays. He plays for whomever posts the highest fee to his current team. V being the manager has nothing to do with anything with regards to any player posted

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

WesternOregon

It was one of my first thoughts.  With his status in Japan, would Ju become a clear target of opportunity.

... and would Dice-K be handled better as he returns from TJ surgery

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Don't forget Tim Howard is one of the top goalies in the world now too, even though he plays for a mediocre team in Everton

As for Yu...I say if Bobby likes him then go for it. Ben's not stupid and will use the resources he has on hand. I wouldn't mind seeing them try for Cepedes and maybe a buy low deal on Oswalt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Once burned, twice shy.

I am tempted to say, "Pass."

Especially with the posting fee.

Dice-K is a lesson and, yes, as tcal points out, so is Nomo.

Lot of money to spend on a 4-5 starter. 

Unless, of course, you are looking for excuses to market your team and your team's broadcasts in Japan.

Then it becomes a non-baseball question.

But I digress.