1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yazfanski. Show yazfanski's posts

4th outfielder?

Recent rumors have the Sox looking for a 4th outfielder who bats from the right side. Why not give Jeff Bailey a shot? He had a monster year in Pawtucket, played well in his time with the Sox and can play 1b thereby spelling Youk from time to time. Let's spend the savings on the big prizes...Texeira and a catcher like Salty or Shoppach from Cleveland.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yanksstillsck. Show Yanksstillsck's posts

4th outfielder?

We already had Shoppach

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

4th outfielder?

All I can figure is that there is some big hole in Bailey's game or swing that the Sox brass does not like. Based on MiL batting numbers, either Bailey or Carter (is he RH or not?) seem to be good enough to fit the bill, and now they've added McAnulty to that mix. I doubt that any of the three play the role of 4th outfielder for us this year. None are listed on the Sox 40 man roster, according to CBSSports.com

With JD Drew's injury history, we need a guy who can start 30 - 40 games, perhaps all in a row, and provide important at bats and major league defense. We had that in Coco, and I suspect that Theo has something in mind (more than McAnulty, anyway).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

4th outfielder?

There is nothing wrong with Bailiey's swing. He is/will be a ML hitter. On the other hand, neither he nor Carter is a real good outfielder, Bailey probably being the better corner outfielder, and a better 1B and former C.
    Neither of these guys is a CF nor a RF in a tough park like Fenway. Looking at the way the Red Sox had to use a RF and CF this past season, the Red Sox really do need a more proficient backup outfielder, hence so much talk was generated about Baldelli hoping that his health would tolerate the volume of play he might see in Boston.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

4th outfielder?

There is nothing wrong with Bailiey's swing. He is/will be a ML hitter. On the other hand, neither he nor Carter is a real good outfielder, Bailey probably being the better corner outfielder, and a better 1B and former C.
    Neither of these guys is a CF nor a RF in a tough park like Fenway. Looking at the way the Red Sox had to use a RF and CF this past season, the Red Sox really do need a more proficient backup outfielder, hence so much talk was generated about Baldelli hoping that his health would tolerate the volume of play he might see in Boston.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohno1957. Show ohno1957's posts

4th outfielder?

4th outfielder????? see milton bradley

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuckhndrsn. Show chuckhndrsn's posts

4th outfielder?

when did we offer Burnett a contract? Please, God, NOOOO!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MWGray. Show MWGray's posts

4th outfielder?

You could pick up a Baldelli if you are willing to allow either Bay or Baiiley to play RF on occasion because when Drew goes down this year at some point he will be out for an extended period of time 10 games or whatever it is.
    Baldelli can't play back to back games and he was taken out early when he did play RF or CF for the Rays this year. As much as I like Baldelli's bat I don't like him as a 4th Outfielder as long as JD Drew is out there.
    Now say Theo did something bold like trading Drew opposed to Lowell and moving youkilis to RF when a Baldelli pickup is a nice aquistion.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

4th outfielder?

[Quote]when did we offer Burnett a contract? Please, God, NOOOO!!![/Quote]

I'm pretty sure Sportsbozo made that one up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from billy13. Show billy13's posts

4th outfielder?

RED SOX FANS:

Please get over the Shoppach lovefest. He is a stiff. he struck out 133 times in 352 ABs!!!!! He is not the answer at catcher. Do you want someone who strikes out that much? Tek is better than that.

Theo will pick up a 4th outfielder, and has said publicly that he wants a righthanded hitter who can also play centerfield. Baldelli fits that. I just dont know if hes healthy. If he is, I would take a chance on him. After the main free agents sign, the rest of the market will find us an outfielder.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkcch24. Show hawkcch24's posts

4th outfielder?

I gree with trying to find someone who won`t be priced to high, but theres a reason Bailey`s been in the minors for 11 years. You don`t see alot of 30 year old minors leaguers all of a sudden making an impact. I would prefer to see Rocco also now they know whats medically wrong with him there trying to get it under control, besides he has at least proven he can hit major league pitching and its not like we`re asking him to play 100 games a season. Milton Bradley is not a 4th outfielder and with the year he had last he`s way out of thier price range.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

4th outfielder?

Please get over the Shoppach lovefest. He is a stiff. he struck out 133 times in 352 ABs!!!!! He is not the answer at catcher. Do you want someone who strikes out that much? Tek is better than that

That's funny.....Vari-K did strike out less (122 in 423AB). Look at the SLG. .517 compared to .359.

Bottom line is anyone would be better offensively than Varitek......I'd like to see Lo Duca.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

4th outfielder?

[Quote]RED SOX FANS:

Please get over the Shoppach lovefest. He is a stiff. he struck out 133 times in 352 ABs!!!!! He is not the answer at catcher. Do you want someone who strikes out that much? Tek is better than that.

Theo will pick up a 4th outfielder, and has said publicly that he wants a righthanded hitter who can also play centerfield. Baldelli fits that. I just dont know if hes healthy. If he is, I would take a chance on him. After the main free agents sign, the rest of the market will find us an outfielder.[/Quote]

strikeouts are irrelevant. Varitek pops out as is which is no better than a strikeout andm ost catchers can't beat out groundballs. You seem like another uninformed bboard poster who latches onto whatever factoid he can like it's a life preserver.

Incidentally, Varitek has struck out over 1/4 of the time the last 4 or 5 years. And that's as a fulltime starter, Captain, and 'savior of the franchise' in the eyes of fans.

Shoppach is a perfect fit here. Good attitude, already been in the organization, knows the management, knows the players, has a LOT of power, has a chance to start fulltime here next year or year after.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

4th outfielder?

4th Outfielder on this team is an important position at this point in time. Now 9 months from now it may turn out not to be the case, but where we sit today it is. Why:

1. Historical track record of JD Drew ....injuries, etc. the fourth outfielder will need a strong arm in order to man our RF from time to time.

2. Ellsbury, although projections remain strong. He did have a 2nd quarter of the season regression. Whether it was the pitchers finding his holes or whatever. Nevertheless, he came out of it and had a decent 2nd half. Jury remains what type of hiter he becomes.....a Dykstra/Damon type (i.e. Speed, BA and medium range power 15-18 HRs) or whether he becomes strictly a BA, Doubles, SB guy. Bottom line he dipped again in the playoffs. Whether that was fatigue, and undisclosed injury or whether simple the holes in his swing returned, I don't know. The 4th OF will need to be able to sub in CF from time to time.

3. Bay. Pretty much as reliable as they come. Good track record for consistent appearances. I'm not talking ability here...simple he shows up everyday. So except for the occasional day off, the 4th OF will see little time here.

4. DH. Barring a major trade, Ortiz is our day and day out DH, The 4th OF will get even less time here.

What does this all mean? We need more than a pure CF backup like we had in Crisp. We need someone who has a good bat, decent power, but more importantly someone who possesses the ability to play CF and has a strong enough arm to play RF should Drew go out for any length of time again. The answer is an upgrade to a quasi starter type as your 4th. I believe the guy will get alot of playing time....375-400 AB's. I'm not sure Baldelli and his condition would be viable if he had to play a month straight. Kotsay....would work for me, plus he can play 1st too. But he definetly want s a starting gig. That's where this gets tricky. You want a decent guy and one that can accept playing maybe a 1/2 season tops when it's all said and done. Obvoiusly a guy like Payton couldn't and wouldn't accept that role. So it's a real challenge for Theo to fill it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

4th outfielder?

[Quote]4th outfielder????? see milton bradley[/Quote]

After Carl Everett and Manny Ramirez and all the media attention to the off-field antics, you can bet Milton Bradley would be about as lousy a fit for this team as anyone in the game.

The press would have a field day with this lunatic and he would be asking for a trade before Memorial Day.

No thanks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from billsrul. Show billsrul's posts

4th outfielder?

How about Endy Chavez? Cheap, fast, and I think a decent defender. Not a great arm, but if Drew goes down, we can move Ellsbury to RF and plug Chaves in in CF.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patfan11394. Show patfan11394's posts

4th outfielder?

endy chavez sounds good, nice thinking billsrul.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohno1957. Show ohno1957's posts

4th outfielder?

[Quote]

Don't outfielders need good knees?[/Quote] YEA.....WHATS WRONG WITH HIS KNEES DOC, got a medical report.......or are you making it up as you go???