1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A Redsox 5th starter question

Hopefully this wont ever become a question.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

[Quote]Just wanted to throw a question out there....say all of the starters are healthy when Smoltz is ready to pitch....but Saito is finished because of his elbow.

Do you put Smoltz in the bullpen or who would you move to the bullpen from the starting rotation?

You bring up Bard for the pen, if he is pitching at all like he did last year.

[/Quote]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote][/Quote]

"all starters are healthy" or all starters are pitching well? If all are healthy and there is a need in the bullpen, it might be right to putt Smoltz in the pen to get into the groove, but I want Smoltz starting by the playoffs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

[Quote]TRADE BECTON????

Are you kidding me??? He's the best player the Sox have got and he's definitely a first ballot HOFer!!

If you are wondering, YES I am a Becton Chick![/Quote]

Becton reminds me alot of Sidd Finch. Remember him?

As for the question, as I said, I would go with Buchholz. However, the fact that we can have this discussion tells you how deep the Sox pitching is.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Becton's much better than Finch. He's got more than just a fastball.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from billy13. Show billy13's posts

Bowden might see action later in the season, but hes 22, and wont see any time unless its bullpen late season or a spot start and i dont see that with the depth in the pen. Dont see Bard in boston either. I dont see Buch having a job out of spring training. He will be in Boston during the season and will pitch in the doubleheader role and if there are any injuries. Smoltz wont be back until June. I hope Bucholz gets a bunch of starts early, so we can see what he has. He is still a young guy, only 24. I would rather give him the early innings than Wakefield. I just dont see this kid sitting in Pawtucket. I would like to give him his shot. If he doesnt work out, then we have Smoltz/Wake.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote]Bowden might see action later in the season, but hes 22, and wont see any time unless its bullpen late season or a spot start and i dont see that with the depth in the pen. Dont see Bard in boston either. I dont see Buch having a job out of spring training. He will be in Boston during the season and will pitch in the doubleheader role and if there are any injuries. Smoltz wont be back until June. I hope Bucholz gets a bunch of starts early, so we can see what he has. He is still a young guy, only 24. I would rather give him the early innings than Wakefield. I just dont see this kid sitting in Pawtucket. I would like to give him his shot. If he doesnt work out, then we have Smoltz/Wake.[/Quote]

No way Buch starts out in the rotation in April, unless there are many injuries. His confidence was shattered last year, he even admitted it. Theo won't let him test his confidence first in the ML, he will need to build it up in AAA.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from campp. Show campp's posts

problems problems problems...buch should be back to where he was and shine, while bowden could start on most ML clubs and would be a 14-16 game winner right now imo...while masterson was already throwing like a 15 game-type winner last season before he was put into the bullpen. i`ve been following the red sox since 1963 and i`ve never seen such depth and quality in pitching as i see this season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote]Wakefield is so valuable when the ball is dancing, but he could be awesome in middle relief. The guy can throw seven days in a row, and he's practically unhittable when the ball is moving.

I think Smoltz will replace him, when he's ready. It just makes too much sense, to do otherwise, unless somebody else just loses their mojo.
    [/Quote]

1) Wake needs to warm up like a starter, not warm up, sit down, get up again, etc...

2) You don't want to bring Wake in the middle of an inning with men on base and then have to replace the catcher or face possible run-scoring passed balls.

3) Someone will be hurt or struggling when Smoltz is ready, and the answer will be obvious. If not, I think we need to make sure Smoltz is Smoltz before we think about trading someone. I'd rather have 6 good starters and the problem of who to start than trade one, then someone gets hurt and we are screwed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

The problem with Wake coming out of the bullpen is you then have to consider making a catching change at the same time. It takes away a possible pinch hitter later on and is even worse if Bard goes down in game for some reason. Wake is a perfect spot starter that a team inevitably needs and he should be used for soaking up those innings.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BLRob. Show BLRob's posts

Masterson is in a funny situation here...

The Sox have Wake, Penny and Buchholz ready to round out the back of the starting rotation... but they also have Saito, Okajima and Ramirez capable of setting up Papelbon... so where does "Mastey" fit in?

Personally, I think he helps the Sox more in the pen... but if any of the starters struggle, it's nice to know that the Sox have options in Masterson, Buchholz and even Michael Bowden (but it's too early for him IMO).

Bottom Line: Mastey will be stretched out in camp, but I think Tito will mix things up early in the season to keep all the guys in the bullpen fresh... but that means we might be carrying extra pitchers, so the bench will be light.

The Bottom Line blog