1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Bill Parcells retires from coaching

Cowboys coach Bill Parcells announced today he will retire from coaching. Parcells had a stellar career that featured three Super Bowl appearances and two championships. What do you remember most about Parcells? How will his departure affect the Cowboys?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from walton. Show walton's posts

There's a whole stable of coaches out there {mostly successful coaches} who worked under Parcell's at one time or another. Belichek is the most notable, but there have been many others. The man certainly wasn't threatened by having talented people around him. Coaching for Bill Parcell's has been a stepping stone to success as an NFL head coach............which is a pretty complimentary legacy.

His team won 2 Superbowls in New York. New York is still the center of the media universe and arguably the center of the universe period. Since that great run with Lawrence Taylor, Phil Simms and company the NFL {already healthy} has never been healthier. As a business there are few more successful than NFL football and certainly having a Championship caliber team in New York didn't hurt.

TOUGHNESS..............Bill Parcell's name is synonymous with toughness, both physical and mental. Who'll ever forget his comment re: Terry Glenn, " she's feeling better." {Something like that.} One of my all-time favorites................I think the toughness thing kind of cut both ways. Parcell's expected people to play with pretty serious injuries, etc, but he exemplified the idea that professional sports and football in particular are not for the faint of heart. He believed you had to be physically tough and mentally tough to be a champion. This came through loud and clear in the way he carried himself and in the way his team's played................None of this "touchy-feely" crap for Bill. Football is a man's game to be played by men.................I guess Parcell could be brutal with his tongue. Belichek talked about his first year with Parcell's. He said he made a suggestion or two one time and Parcell's told him to "shut up and record what he saw on the film's" or something to that effect. Bill's tongue was an "equal opportunity razor blade." No one was spared.

Parcell's worked hard. All coaches {except maybe Bud Grant} have worked very hard from time imemorial but I think Parcell's was on the cutting edge of a generation of pro football coaches who worked 17 hours a day 7 days a week. Parcell's was one of the first guys {or at least his legacy is such} who slept in his office and worked incessantly................a la Belichek.

I think Parcell's will be remembered as a great football coach who loved the game and was the patriarch to a number of other very successful football coaches. He'll be remembered for his toughness and sharp tongue. He could be a divisive figure {love him or hate him} but as the years go by I believe his legacy will grow.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from megasudz. Show megasudz's posts

The Tuna has retired more times than Ozzy Osbourne! He will finish his career in the swamps of Jersey.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kefrajojo. Show kefrajojo's posts

I'd like to see him on TV doing commentary. It was fun to watch him kibbie out during press conferences.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

He had a lot to do with what we have now in the Patriots. Good luck to him in his retirement AGAIN.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from walnutpony65. Show walnutpony65's posts

thank god for the stable patriots organization. we all know the pats will come back stocked and ready to compete again next year. you can't say that about 90 percent of the teams in the nfl and now add dallas to the "shambles" list. good run pats, great season. thanks for another anhd thanks for not mortgaging your future (ie dallas) for today. to all nfl teams: new england has the blueprint, go ahead and continue to copy it!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cryochiller. Show cryochiller's posts

I guarantee Jones will take a run at Belichick.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston234. Show boston234's posts

how many times has Parcells retired from coaching? Too bad, I thought he was staying with the Cowboys for a little longer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rozo1955. Show rozo1955's posts

He retired? AGAIN????????

Yeah right...............

Who cares.........sigh

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tuckrules. Show tuckrules's posts

So to answer the question that would be..... NONE!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaylecakes. Show kaylecakes's posts

Well goodbye and I hope this is for good. I don't think he will be missed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtgiantfan. Show vtgiantfan's posts

The gatorade shower was invented in 1985 by nyg ng Jim Burt. Parcells was the recipient.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rehylen. Show rehylen's posts

Bottom line on the Tuna. The way he left the Pats sums up what should be Boston's memories--'

It stunk. Elsewhere, let his career stand, but I'll never forget the effect on the Pats when he left at the most critical moment in the Pats history to that time.

uncleRon

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

he's "retiring" now...i'm sure he'll be back in the NFL in some way, shape or form within the next year or two.

we also need to give him credit for the job he did do here in New England! i believe he did set the seed for our 3 super bowl titles. bill belechick expanded on that...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from walton. Show walton's posts

How many Superbowls you win Loser?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Slack. Show Slack's posts

He's a hall of famer all the way. Hiring Parcells in '93 was how I knew the Patriots were getting serious about putting a perennial winner on the field. And off of the field, his press conferences were a continuing source of sublime joy.

Reporter: "Blah, blah, blah, really, really, really stupid question, blah, blah, blah."

Parcells: "Someone here want to clue this guy in?"

It came as no surprise today that the self-absorbed, morale murdering T.O. (Totally Obnoxious? No, how about Total Offal) blamed Parcells for the Cowboys' shortcomings this year.

"Hopefully the owner will hire a coach that can take the team to the next level," said Total Offal. Give me a break you lunatic.

I was glad to see ESPN get some backing for Bill on the air this afternoon. But couldn't they get someone besides that serial batterer Bobby Knight to defend Parcells? Find someone with some credibility would you, boyos?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Slack. Show Slack's posts

He needs to be scarfing Altoids to get rid of the taste. I'd feel bad for him if he were making $8.10 an hour to put up with that nonsense. But I do empathize. I think his hair is steel wool now. If he stayed there long enough he'd look like LBJ near the end.