1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tahoepow. Show tahoepow's posts

Ellsbury vs. Crisp playing time

I hate to disappoint you but cooc will be the one in a new uniform if anyone. If we wanted to get rid of ellsbury we would hav epulled the trigger on a santana deal peroid. You could very well see lowrie in a different uni however. Especially if we need some pitching.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from detourjazz. Show detourjazz's posts

So EICORA. . sub .200 you wanna sit Ortiz too?

He's a rookie. . this is when we want him to make the few mistakes he's going to make. .

my current response is. . and will continue to be. . once he gets some consistent playing time in. .and we can see .. a good sampling. . all this "bickering" and "arguing" will be over. . .

so we'll see. . .

: )

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Cora has played in exactly one game.

Actually three games and one start.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from detourjazz. Show detourjazz's posts

with your logic. . a rookie will never develop because they'll continue sticking him at AAA. . . the only way to get used to big league. . is what? YUP. big league!

here's a question of the mailbag. . here at boston.com

Why oh why is Terry Francona platooning Coco Crisp and Jacoby Ellsbury in center field? The Sox are clearly a better team with the sparkplug Ellsbury, so are they just trying to showcase Crisp? Or does Francona really believe in Crisp the same way he believed in Dustin Pedroia last year?
    Ron, Foxborough

A: Ron, I think it's Terry trying to make the best of a tricky situation until it can be resolved with a trade. It probably will be difficult for either Coco or Jacoby to get real comfortable as long as they're not playing regularly. Neither one of them is accustomed to part-time duty. I don't think Coco's defense should be so easily dismissed; one of the big reasons the Sox led the AL in run prevention last season was Coco's spectacular glovework in center. Can Jacoby be an above-average CF in this league? Of course. But Crisp's defense last season was far above the norm. Eventually, I believe Jacoby will play everyday, but the trade market for a CF has developed slowly and may not do so until midseason.

I'm not the only one who thinks this way!

and yo u'd sit ORTIZ. . i think that proves.. your well logic. . you play the guy. .knowing. and with faith . that he'll strike hot again. . you don't sit your superstars!

Coco however. . isn't quite in that class.. if you ask me : )

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tahoepow. Show tahoepow's posts

I don't believe the twins balked I believe the red sox did. All though we will never know for sure as theo will never say what we offered and the twins arent speaking either. The issue is dead at this point.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slikrick04. Show slikrick04's posts

I guess Coco starting against NY with a righty on the mound sums it up that he, not Jacoby is our starting center fielder.��������� Coco has earned the job, and we may see the Coco Crisp that Theo signed three years ago. Roles are taking shape, and Jacoby, while he may start here and there in center, is the backup for the three outfield spots, which gives the team the best depth at those positions in MLB. This is no "Showcase" like some of you like to say. The fact is that the team is better with Coco starting in CF.��������� Way to go, Coco.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

I guess Coco starting against NY with a righty on the mound sums it up that he, not Jacoby is our starting center fielder.

Because there are more RHP than LHP, an even split of the time will give the RHH side of the platoon a few starts against RHP.� A little early to say this for certain.

We'll know that Coco has won the job when Jacoby is sent to Pawtucket.� Until then it remains a time-share.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from detourjazz. Show detourjazz's posts

I don't see Jacoby ever going to pawtucket. . unless in the injury rehab case. . IF IF IF

the only way I see Jacoby 100% for sure the sstarter. .and all of us. . shutting up about it . .is when Coco Is traded. . . .

Coco starts. .to build up trade value. .and BOOM. . he's gone

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxman16. Show soxman16's posts

This is a huge question the sox have now and its a tough call. Els has a better bat and more pop in this bat.. although coco has a better average at the moment I think Els is a better hitter. Coco did not get his first ERA until last night. My vote is for Els at this point.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxman16. Show soxman16's posts

Right, like I said Coco is actually hitting better at the moment but I think Els is a better hitter if played everyday since he has fairly good power. It is just difficult for Els since Coco is getting more playing time due to experience.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Cap, with all due respect, Coco is playing pretty well right now but there is no doubt in my mind that if we put Ellsbury in center and kept him there we would have our leadoff spot settled once and for all instead of this stupid and ridiculous leadoff by committee that seems to be a hairbrained child of Theo and FrancoMa----it won't work any better than Theo's ill-advised and dumb closer-by-committee travesty back in the early stages of 2003 that cost us close to a dozen games and cost us the AL East that year and home field advantage in the Playoffs.� In short, Ells has shown that he can have a good OBA, something Lugo and Crisp simply cannot have because they both lack plate discipline.� As long as Crisp is in the lineup Jacoby's development is going to take a serious hit and I'm not so sure it won't have long range ramifications.Theo caused this mess when he refused to climb off the Santana derby last winter when he had no intention of going through with such a trade.� In the meantime all the teams that needed CF's lapped them up giving us the controversy and mess we have today.� My prediction is if this isn't rectified in the next month or two this season will be toast because you cannot be successful without a good leadoff man, and you most certainly cannot waste a talent like Ellsbury by yanking him in and out of the lineup.� Francona should know this but apparently is too busy sitting and spitting to notice.� As for Theo, perhaps he is getting to think he is omnipotent because of his success.� Heavy is the head who wears the crown and Theo could find himself reviled if he doesn't settle this mess as soon as he can.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

For your edification softlaw, the loss tonight has hardly had an effect on me at all.� It is what I saw in three games against the Tigers at Fenway that has raised my ire, and I insist we need a qualified leadoff man and not this rotation of leadoff by committee.� Sorry my friend but if you feel we can adequately go with such a system this season you have lost your mind.�� Besides, Pedroia cannot run so when Youk hits it hard to someone it is a DP, Crisp and Lugo have poor OBA and treat a potential walk as bubonic plague.

We are wasting Ellsbury's development by this constant yanking him in and out of the lineup.� And what if we cannot trade Crisp?� What if Epstein insists on getting more than he can for the guy?� I'll tell you what will happen.� Jacoby will have wasted a whole year riding the pine and his development will have taken a severe hit.� In my opinion, Epstein seems to have become very cocky and over confident because of his success and as successful teams in the past have learned you keep trying to get better and learn from mistakes instead of making the same ones over and over again.� In 2003, Theo decided he didn't need a closer and went with a ridiculous CBC format.� Remember that?� Remember what a disaster that was?� Well in my opinion, you need a qualified leadoff man who has the ability to hit and work the count for walks as well as good speed at the top of the lineup and we have such a bird on our team but he is being wasted because we have to keep showcasing Crisp.� There is no guarantee that we will be able to trade him, certainly not for what Theo wants to hold up other teams up for the guy.

I know it is only about ten or so games (11) but I am seeing things that if not rectified will result in our team being a carbon copy of the 2005 team only with a much worse record.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tylerandrew. Show tylerandrew's posts

BLOCKHEAD-� your boy Crisp can't hit good pitching and as far as earning anything he hasn't done sqwat since joining the Sox. That's why Francona� had to bail him out last year in the playoffs with a rookie prospect.�He's been here over two years, show me one month�like Ellsbury had last September, just one. Show me one month in two plus years he batted over .300.�The only thing he's earned is a bloated contract that can't be moved, a contract that if Ellsbury was signed to and�the Sox put him on the block he would already be gone. Let's see if Crisp ever gets another gift like the Sox gave him.��He better start playing the Lottery, that's his only shot!!!!---Softhead!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

I agree with just about everything you wrote Muggah, but Theo has proven he is a of a duel personality.� He can cut bait with the best of them as he showed with Renteria after the 2005 season, and as he did with Piniero and a couple of relievers last season.� He can also pound his head against a brick wall and hold on tight for dear life to one of his pets as he did with WMP until it became clear even to him that this guy was a white elephand, a penguin in the garden, a giraffe on the tennis court, and a skunk at a church social.� He has to play Crisp in order to get something for him that he thinks is fair, but all that is doing is retarding Ellsbury's development and growth and the fact� seems to be that no team is really interested at the present time for the guy so Theo is digging in his heels and trying to show everyone else that he is right and they are wrong.� In the meantime our best position prospect has become a political football.

I don't really know if Rosenthal really knows what he's talking about but from what you said he said I would take that to sound pretty accurate to me.� It is a fine mess Theo has not got us in.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Well today I felt vindicated ElCOR.� Jacoby led off, got two hits, one walk, one stolen base and made a great catch in center.� He is the energy we need at the top of the lineup. I really wish Theo could find a buyer for Coco and trade him for a young catcher or a solid reliever.� We'll see,� I hope Jacoby is in the lineup tomorrow at leadoff.� We have a much better chance to win in my opinion when he is leading off for us.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Gee ElCOR, how could I forget.� Know who I met at the Red Sox Destinations reception on Wednesday?� None other than your Alex Cora.� Nice guy and very personable.� He has a little accent from his using English as his second language but he gave a great talk and signed autographs for all of us.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

No Joe, he is not.� Pedroia can hit but he has very average speed and you cannot steal with him.� If Youk bats second and hits the ball hard at someone it is a sure DP.� With Ellsbury you have speed to burn at the top of the lineup and a chance to send him flying down to second base, and that would mean Youk would see more fastballs down the ####.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slashieboy. Show slashieboy's posts

That wasn't a true double he only took second because it as Judas in leftfield we all know he�has a womans arm�so it was a given that he would make a lame throw to third.A good arm could have thrown out Pedroia.Also Ellsbury might have scored if he had ran full speed on contact but he did not.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tylerandrew. Show tylerandrew's posts

Coco Crisp batting from career game #425 (Jun 2, 2006) to game #477 (Jul 31, 2006) G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO HBP SH SF GDP SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS+---+---+---+---+---+--+--+--+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+-----+-----+-----+-----+ 53 230 211 29 55 12 1 3 17 15 0 32 1 3 0 4 8 2 .261 .313 .370 .683 Close [X] ��/��Clear Selection & Close [X] ��/��Permanent link for sharing �How sad, do you want me to go game by game. You were just caught fabricating #'s for Crisp. I ask again has Crisp had one month like Ellsbury had last Sept. ������������������� EICORAzon, your busted, were's your credibility? He batted .261---------------------Message #44444.134� in response to #44444.128Posted by�ElCORAzon�on�Apr-12 2:17 PMCoco Crisp splits:� 1) .330 June 2006 (done)�, 2) .323. July 2006 (twice ur requirement)Now your question:� Can you show any of us where Ellsbury hit .353 in any month after college?�Do you want to recant?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tylerandrew. Show tylerandrew's posts

I stand corrected--and apologize--!!!�Coco Crisp batting from career game #568 (Jun 1, 2007) to game #617 (Jul 31, 2007) G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO HBP SH SF GDP SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS+---+---+---+---+---+--+--+--+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+-----+-----+-----+-----+ 50 207 187 30 61 7 5 4 27 16 0 23 0 3 1 7 8 3 .326 .377 .481 .858 Close [X] ��/��Clear Selection & Close [X] ��/��Permanent link for sharing

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Hey Joe, try this.� Check the stats as to how Jacoby Ellsbury hits when he bats leadoff and his OBP.� Enough said.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Be waiting to hear from you in three weeks my good friend.� God be with you and you can bet you will be in my prayers as you are every night.� Put in a good word for me if you do the same.

Already I see teams that are hurting in CF so I want Theo to pursue a trade for Crisp with all deliberate speed.� The A's, Cubs, Cards, Reds, Phillies, perhaps even the Rangers and White Sox could use better CF's than they have currently patrolling for them.� I still think Theo is dragging his feet on this and it will eventually come and bit all of us on the a#s.� We need Jacoby leading off and playing CF full time.� He doesn't need anymore seasoning or any more platooning or anymore being jerked in and out of the lineup--and we can use a young catching prospect or another decent reliever.� Epstein needs to move faster on this than he has in my opinion.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

I know where you're coming from ElCOR.� I have my personal favorite, too.� I don't think you or anyone has any doubt as to who that is.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pppggg. Show pppggg's posts

None "DUDE".��JUST LIKE YOU and thats my point with you Tito bashers. Not surprised you are a teacher. Those who can do. Those who can't teach. You are� not qualified or capable of managing 2 dogs performing a natural act if you get my drift. Managers make moves and based on bb stats are wrong about 70% of the time, yet you want him to be perfect. What ever move he makes the players, not Tito, have to perform.� Being a teacher you should be totally used to not performing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Well Muggah we got another good look at Ellsbury tonight-----one hit, and robbed of another one by a great catch by Cabrera, a stolen base, a walk and two RBI's.� The guy is a great catalyst for our team and we seem to sparkle when he leads off.� However, this time I will throw some kuddos Crisp's way.� He got two hits, stole two bases and hustled his rear end off and played with fire.� I was beaming when he started a one run rally in the eighth to give us that extra run we needed.

Timlin pitched as if he is still not ready, but Aardsma looked very good and this time Lopez got a lefty out before Francona wisely went in MDC who got two quick outs to wrap it up.� I'm not saying we are over the hump yet because the Yankees aren't playing especially good baseball either, but we have won� two series in a row and that's a good sign.� The Indians tomorrow and they are out for revenge, I can tell you that.� We have to keep playing aggressive baseball and try to finally put that lousy Japan trip in our rear view mirror once and for all.

Phil Hughes is supposed to be one helluva young pitcher and we handled him real well tonight.� We will be facing the guy a lot over the next decade and maybe we got a good line on him.� The Yankees certainly got a good one on Dice K.� He has to stop this base on balls crap and start throwing strikes.� We need a helluva lot more than five innings from him or our bullpen will be toast by August.