1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x45. Show sday4x45's posts

Enuff Tex.....What are our pitching options?

Do the Sox make a move here soon? Are we looking for a 4th and 5th...? Possibly moving Masterson to start and signing Wake....doesn't that negate the need? Are there any names floating out there to improve the pen?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

I wouldn't touch Peavy and I'm glad my team didn't trade the farm for him. He's spent his whole career pitching in the worst division in baseball, the NL West. He also pitches in one of the most hitter friendly ballparks. Peavy in the AL East with better hitters and smaller ballparks would be a disaster, just my opinion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

The Sox likely won't do anything else until Tex has signed somewhere else, especially with the rumors that they're not out of the running. I think they should grab a solid 4th or 5th, and stay away from Peavy

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from papifan111. Show papifan111's posts

Yea but Phil he also never recieves any of the credit he deserves because hes on such a terrible team. You do not recall how the Padres were a game away from the postseason in 2007, and I'm pretty sure Peavy had a good year that contributed to that year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andy2948. Show andy2948's posts

i would pass on peavy. they would want a min. of bucholz and then go up from there. not worth it, mainly cause he is a NL pitcher in the weakest div. in baseball. i would rather see them take a chance with Penny or Smoltz.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

He did have a great year that year, however if you look at his numbers against AL teams they're very suspect. I remember the Yankees pounding him in Interleague last year. Again I know he's underrated in the NL, but in my honest opinion I don't think he'll hold up in the AL.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andy2948. Show andy2948's posts

[Quote]Yea but Phil he also never recieves any of the credit he deserves because hes on such a terrible team. You do not recall how the Padres were a game away from the postseason in 2007, and I'm pretty sure Peavy had a good year that contributed to that year.[/Quote]

if u remember, peavy gave up 8 ERs in like 4 innings in that play in game against the rockies.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

Now that Tex seems to be in trouble. I have read again "maybe this is for the best now Sox can save $$ to replace Bay next season" . Why is everyone so quick to get rid of Jason? he wants to be here, is willing to negotiate now, Plays a solid LF, Hits for average and has power, showed he could hit in clutch during stretch drive and playoffs. Maybe its just me but I get him under contract ASAP. The guy is a gamer and is still young.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stomackit10452. Show stomackit10452's posts

Holliday will be the best hitter on the market next season. Who represents him? Scott Boras.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Good question. Thanks, for that.

My guess is that opposing teams will be ringing the Sox up as soon as they see Buch and Bowdey throwing in spring training. (I hope to get down there myself this year- cheers!)

I'm hoping that at least one of these two will make the team and have a very good year. Personally, I like Byrdie, as well. He might be a good pickup. However, if the money is close to the DLowe count, I'd say, bring back the D-man and his passion to the rotation.

IMO, the BP needs another big arm, as well. Perhaps, this will be done during the spring?

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from papifan111. Show papifan111's posts

Yea Jason seems like a good fit and now that hes been with the sox for a little bit I think he can settle down and do wonders for this team manny couldn't. Still theres that lingering question of who bats fourth? Drew, Youk, Bay, Pedroia (hey he did good in the stretch he batted there) or possibly pick someone up but who would be good. I'm pretty sure this has crossed Theo's mind a good deal and possibly a trade could unfold but idk who to get and who to give up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from billy13. Show billy13's posts

You cant just bring in any pitcher to play in the AL east. Peavy is not good value giving up our prospects. We showed with the Santana deal that we arent going to do that. It doesnt make much sense.

This is our priority in the offseason. We have to upgrade here, but we dont need a #1 starter. I think the sox will look at Smoltz, Penny, kawakami, who are all good candidates that I like. Retreads but with a good track record. I dont mind Byrd if the others dont pan out. There are a few others out there, but remember, AL east and Fenway park. Better get somebody with some stones.

Trade is tough, because our most valuable chip is pitching, and we are trying to get pitching. Bucholz is getting 400k and we have him for 6 yrs. I dont see him getting traded unless they go for a big time player like Sizemore, Mauer. If they get Tex, Lars is a nice chip!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MNRedSox102. Show MNRedSox102's posts

[Quote]I wouldn't touch Peavy and I'm glad my team didn't trade the farm for him. He's spent his whole career pitching in the worst division in baseball, the NL West. He also pitches in one of the most hitter friendly ballparks. Peavy in the AL East with better hitters and smaller ballparks would be a disaster, just my opinion.[/Quote]

Petco Park is a hitter friendly park? Since when? The ball flat out dies off the bat out there, which is why the Padres HR totals have been absolutely abysmal ever since they moved into the park a few years back. It's right on the harbor and the air currents/atmospheric pressure changes cause a lot of problems when it comes to lifting balls out of the park.

Now Peavy is not known for being a solid ground ball pitcher, so bringing him east to play in the most brutal division in baseball might be a little crazy, but then again, he's a gamer (much like Beckett) and when he's on, he's as good a pitcher in the game as you can get.

Just thinking about a rotation of Beckett, Peavy, Lester, Dice-K, and Wake/Masty/Bowden/whoever makes me drool with glee. That would end the Yankees ridiculous hopes of a re-emergence as the division powerhouse real quick IMO.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[Quote]You cant just bring in any pitcher to play in the AL east. Peavy is not good value giving up our prospects. We showed with the Santana deal that we arent going to do that. It doesnt make much sense.

This is our priority in the offseason. We have to upgrade here, but we dont need a #1 starter. I think the sox will look at Smoltz, Penny, kawakami, who are all good candidates that I like. Retreads but with a good track record. I dont mind Byrd if the others dont pan out. There are a few others out there, but remember, AL east and Fenway park. Better get somebody with some stones.

Trade is tough, because our most valuable chip is pitching, and we are trying to get pitching. Bucholz is getting 400k and we have him for 6 yrs. I dont see him getting traded unless they go for a big time player like Sizemore, Mauer. If they get Tex, Lars is a nice chip!![/Quote]

Biily agree, not sure what kind of pitcher Peavey would be outside spacious Petco Park pitching in the AL east. Took Beckett year just to adjust. But have to believe he would be pretty decent, he's not going to pitch to 2.50 era though. But of available pitchers left, he's probably the best [unless Sheets is healthy] But I would not trade top prospects to get [Anderson, Bucholz, Bowden, Masterson]
    I would like to see if RS could sign Sheets to low base / high incentive based contract, he's worth the gamble.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

That would end the Yankees ridiculous hopes of a re-emergence as the division powerhouse real quick IMO.
    MNRedSox102 was actually offering some interesting stuff about Petco Park and Peavy until he dropped into homerism. However, he's ignoring the fact that Peavy got hammered in interleague play by the "ridiculously hopeful" Yankees.

At this point, the Yanks are a middle of the order hitter away from a very strong setup and realistic expectations. And a gifted banger like Manny for three years sounds great compared to the Sox being played to give $185M or more to the other lesser talent for eight or more years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from phineasgage. Show phineasgage's posts

'The big opportunity was Burnett'

LOL--right, you just can't overpay enough of those perennial DL guys.

I think Theo learned his lesson with J.D.

Be thankful that Mr. Cross-eyes is in the Bronx and not here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from brarrell. Show brarrell's posts

It's good to see something about the pitching. It seems all the "Buzz" is about a certain resident Texan who will go nameless. What about Lowe? Smoltz? Where's the info on how these guys are feeling as we reach Xmas and free agents like to be taken care of by then?

Yanks are stronger thatn they were last year in the rotation, but that's on paper. AJ and CC need to respond to pinstripe expectations.

It would give some relief to some of us if the Sox found themselves a great mid-rotation thrower with the stones to react to Fenway Faithful expectations. A youngling for an established pitcher or even a fat bat (offense is cooler to me) would be the way to go.

BTW, why doesn't Oliver Perez's name ever come up? His agent has books about this guy, so he MUST be awesome! I bet he has four or five teams with big offers going, but the Sox could just toss some extra bank at him and snag a middling pitcher for premium money. It worked for Silva!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from papifan111. Show papifan111's posts

Derek Lowe is going to want too much, I think trade for a decent 4 or 5 guy by giving up a few double A kinda prospects like smoltz or like a matt cain kinda deal tht would require a little more of an incentive but something should be done so wakey can be a 5 starter.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from phineasgage. Show phineasgage's posts

Smoltz and Sheets.

Be patient, there no need to hurry with the market collapsing. Nothing is going to happen before Teixeira is resolved.

No need to rush on catching, either. Let other teams panic.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from d_marschke. Show d_marschke's posts

[Quote] I think we should move on Peavy. He's locked up to a sensible contract for awhile and he's proven. This would be a case where I would agree to trading some of our young pitching.[/Quote]

I totally agree the Sox need to move on.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSFever. Show PSFever's posts

Why do fan try to justify what a pitcher may or may not do because of a ball park? Peavy's overall Stat's "like most good pitchers" who have a solid SO/BB ratio, ERA, hits/innings etc. normally show their true talent, not the ballpark, or win loss record playing on one of the worst offensive teams in baseball. The only real unknown is whether a guy can pitch under pressure in places like NY or Boston. This is why players like Crisp, Lugo and Clement failed, not because of the ball park.

Without the Sox signing Tex, guys like Peavy, Hardy, Napoli, McCann, Salty and Tek, Dunn if he accepts a platoon role etc. will most likely be needed in other areas of our lineup for our team to have success in 09. Beckett, Lowell and Papi are just a few reasons to be concerned.

Pitchers like Lowe, Smoltz and Penny don't upgrade our team over Masterson starting, just give us a little more depth if Justin doesn't get traded for a catcher.