1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x45. Show sday4x45's posts

filling our catching position-sense of urgency?

The Orioles are still looking for at least one more starter and will continue to monitor the market and pursue free agents Braden Looper, Tim Redding and another Japanese player, Kenshin Kawakami.

But the immediate priority is expected to switch to catcher - with the club looking at former Oriole Gregg Zaun and likely Hall of Famer Ivan Rodriguez - and a right-handed-hitting first baseman.

tick tock......tick tock......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x45. Show sday4x45's posts

If we aren't signing Tek.........what are we waiting for?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

And what about the Red Sox? We need a catcher, too. What most likely will happen is that we resign Varitek to a two year contract, but that carries a big risk. The guy can no longer swing the bat, his bat speed is absolutely gone from the left side anyway, and we also need to trade for a young catcher with some strong hitting potential. That is going to cost us a prospect or two and right now Theo seems to be holding on to all the young prospects like they were the Crown Jewels. Something has to give and soon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BLRob. Show BLRob's posts

The Bottom Line blog

Its safe to say the that Boras know the Red Sox will take back Tek if he can't sign elsewhere... but the Sox could decide to bite the bullet and trade Buchholz or other young talent for Salty, Teagarden or Montero instead.

Personally, I'm not sold on Buchholz at this point, so I'm all for getting a young catcher in here to share time with Bard.

All that said, if the Boras finally comes crawling back to the Sox looking for an offer for Tek, I'm cool with signing Tek to a 1-2 year deal and then hoping they can convince Joe Mauer to come to Boston in 2010.

Bottom Line: Though none of the options are great, the Sox do have a few at catcher and don't need to rush into a deal for a FA... George Kottaras is out of options, so they could simply call him up along with Bard - would that be so bad?

The Bottom Line blog

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Charley984. Show Charley984's posts

Just a gut feeling here but I suspect the Red Sox catcher on opening day is one of the two catchers currently on the KC Roster.... John Buck or Migual Olivo.

I could be wrong, but either of these guys would not mean a top prospect is moved. Seems to me that this is there for the taking

Buck 224 ave 9 HR 48 RBI
    Olivo 255 ave 12 HR 41 RBI

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsNut79. Show BostonSportsNut79's posts

Why bother with Joe Mauer. He will only sign with the Yankees since Posada won't last much longer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

[Quote]

What does Zaun or Rodriquez do exactly that Tek does not? [/Quote]

Uh, hit? That's for starters, & Rodriquez can throw.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

What can be a problem is a pitching staff trying to get used to 2 new catchers if Varitek is not re-signed.
    Bard wasn't here long enough his 1st time to know the pitching staff after 10 passed balls from Wakefield's knucklers 2 years ago.
    The staff is the same as a year ago with the exception of Ramon Ramirez, Penny, and possibly Buchholz.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from COSTANZA. Show COSTANZA's posts

The end of Jason Varitek's career in Boston has arrived.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ufcchamp. Show ufcchamp's posts

If we aren't signing Tek.........what are we waiting for?

We're not signing anyone, and the folks that are have no obligation to tell you or me until it's done. As a matter of fact, it would be counter-productive to make it known. But it's safe to say that anything we suggest on here, that's plausible, they've thought of and investigated.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BLRob. Show BLRob's posts

BSN79 - you make a valid point, and to be honest, Twins fans are saying the local boy won't jump ship just for a big contract... but RSO has to recognize that they got burned on Teixeira and go after Mauer if he becomes available.

Bottom Line: It's one thing to pass on an expensive 1B, when you have Youk, but the Sox don't have a catcher to fall back on and won;t in the near future - making Mauer a must have in 2010.

Just my opinion.

and Charley - good suggestion, but you'd think the Sox would have worked ona deal for one of those guys when they made the Crisp/Ramirez trade, no? Not sure than B. Pena is good enough to ditch Buck or Olivio...

The Bottom Line blog