1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Just In!:Henry: 'We are not going to be a factor"

[Quote]"I Really hate telling you I told you so !! Mikey will be back, Bay will have a monster year, Pedroia will have another great season, Youk will win the MVP this season, Pitching Staff will have a great season, and Ortiz will bounce back better then Ever !!"
    --ALaGatorAL-2

What facts do you have to base ANY of this information on? You say that some people should stop thinking. Maybe you should start.[/Quote]

No facts just a gut feeling... just like the gut feeling I had several months ago that this night was inevitable !! I don't think the Sox sign players with thinking it will give them leverage with agents for their clients the next season... Only Theo knows the answer to that and he ain't saying but, I bet he wishes he didn't have to worry about what he would have to do with lowell if he wasn't on the roster !!

GO SOX 2009 !!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RS0407. Show RS0407's posts

In response to the Boras/Daisuke/posting fee comment... this was the ONLY time that Boras had been made a b**** of. He had absolutely no leverage. I don't see where you're getting this "His succesful contracts outweights his failures by a huge margin" stuff-- HE HAS NO FAILURES!!! Worst-case scenerio his guys get paid. The only reason I remotely consider the Matsuzaka deal a failure as far as he is concerned is that he (like I said) overplayed his hand and tried to call the Sox' bluff but there isn't a sole on Earth who honestly believed that Matsuzaka was getting on that plane back to Japan. So the reason I consider it a failure for Boras is if not for the posting fee (which he had no control over) he would've got WAY more for Matsuzaka and since the Sox had exclusive rights then his ONLY chip was having Matsuzaka refuse deals until he found one that the Sox felt was acceptable. He couldn't play one team off another because there was no other team for real this time. However, Boras ended up getting paid and on paper it wasn't a failure, but I can guarantee you that Boras expected to be putting WAY more in his pocket than he did.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[Quote]As far as Matsuzaka goes, that wasn't about MATSUZAKA saving face, it was about the fact that Boras overplayed his hand. At the end of the day EVERYONE knew that once the Sox won the exclusive negotiating rights then he was signing here-- period. They had no one bidding against them and therefore Boras had no market to play with. Matsuzaka was NOT going back to Japan. Why? Think of it this way: if Daisuke goes back to Japan then (a) Boras has to give the Sox back their posting fee (and his cut of it), (b) Boras pisses off the entire country of Japanese baseball players/potential future clients when they see that he CAN'T get them deals, (c) he pisses off Daisuke's Japanese team who wanted his posting fee, and (d) he gets horrible publicity (with players) when they see that he overplayed his hand and got burned AND wouldn't give in when he had no other alternative and therefore cost his client a payday.[/Quote]

This is a perfect example of why you shouldn't be thinking !! Was there anything in this post that was correct on any level ?? LOL

GO SOX 2009 !!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Victory12321. Show Victory12321's posts

[Quote]

So its about the years and not the money? Because I'm pretty sure the value of 184 mill within 8 years is more tahn 200 over 10. All depending on how the deal is structured. Is one team offering more up front like arods? Hes getting 32 per year for his first 3.[/Quote]

Who knows if its about the Years or the money

All im saying is that this doesnt make him stupid until we see all the bids and then hear his reasons as to why he rejected the Sox.

Could be he wanted more years?

Maybe more money was offered?

Maybe it was a big mistake for the Sox to go pay him a visit.

Other GM's fearing that the Sox were pulling their power move probably got nervous and up the ante.

At this point, who knows.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RS0407. Show RS0407's posts

Louie the Lip, you are a loser. Why don't you go look at your Yankees' message boards? Worry about your own team. Why don't you do Brian Cashman a favor and do some research for him on who can make spot-starts for A.J. Burnett when he goes on the DL for 3 months or for CC Sabathia when he finds out where the Crispy Creams are in NYC and his arteries clog. I'll still take what we have now versus what you have now any day of the week. Go work on getting a full-time job so you can move out of your mother's basement. And laugh all you want-- it's really just jealousy cause you know your Yankees aren't winning any World Series rings any time soon. And you know it bothers you every morning that you wake up and see that since the last time NY has won ANY the Sox now have TWO... and counting.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

This seems silly, but here's what makes me think the Sox are still in it...

"Red Sox president Larry Lucchino declined comment when reached on his cell phone."

One of the biggest mouths in the organization doesn't want to comment? Could it be he doesn't want to burn any bridges or jump to conclusions?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[Quote]This seems silly, but here's what makes me think the Sox are still in it...

"Red Sox president Larry Lucchino declined comment when reached on his cell phone."

One of the biggest mouths in the organization doesn't want to comment? Could it be he doesn't want to burn any bridges or jump to conclusions?[/Quote]

Maybe he was just embarresed for the whole organization for having to travel all the way to Texas to hear that crap ?? I know I would have been !!

GO SOX 2009 !!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steve3344. Show Steve3344's posts

[Quote]Please try to sign free agent Bobby Abreu who is a great hitter. Bay, Drew, Abreu in OF and Jacoby as a spare OF.[/Quote]

Bay, Drew and Abreau in the OF?????????? Who, pray tell, plays CENTER???

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steve3344. Show Steve3344's posts

[Quote]

Sure he had a choice, if he didnt Boston could of got him for 2 mill a year.

As far as Tex goes. If the sox offer was 184 over 8 years, hes stupid not to take it. Its a better offer than 200 over 10 seasons. I'm sure he could find someone to sign him as a FA in 8 years for 2 years at over 8 mill a year to make up the difference. Thats if what were hearing are the true bids.[/Quote]

If I were Tex, I absolutely take 184 over 8 rather than 200 over 10. But my thinking is someone went to 200 for 8. Brian Cashman strongly suggested today he was not going to add another huge-money offensive player this offseason, preferring to concentrate on re-signing Andy Pettitte (or another pitcher to replace him like Lowe). Yankees also know they need to address center field more than first base where they claim they can easily live with the 25-30 HR's, 90-100 RBI's, 90-100 walks and .250-/260 BA and excellent defense that Swisher will give them. But he may just as easily be bluffing, make a huge offer for Tex and trade Swisher. Wouldn't put it past him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

Nothing much new in the D.C. papers at this writing, other than acknowledging Henry's e-mail. It seems inconceivable to me that Tex would come here, given the state of this franchise. I've always viewed it as publicity for the Nats; their ownership, although having very deep pockets, has been late paying various bills and has consistently signed players at the end or beginning of their careers to save money.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlFromOrlando. Show AlFromOrlando's posts

Would love to see Texeira, but losing Lowell is the downside.(Wish Mikey could play second and Pedroia SS, but that won't happen.) So here we are. Maybe the deal turns around, maybe it doesn't. And maybe Lowell, no longer bothered by a chronic hip injury he had even when he arrived in Boston, will have almost the kind the monster year (minus a few HRs) we'd expect from Teixeira. But one thing is sure--if we change one particular condition on this team from last season, we likely win the division in spite of any recent Yanks moves and in spite of Tampa Bay. That stat is ONE RUN LOSSES ON THE ROAD. Check it-- it was a horrendous stat, really an unbelieveable stat last year. While Tex or a healthy Lowell (or ANY production at all from Ortiz!), might have made a difference there, middle relief and set-up from the pen HAS to improve. Also, another year of Wake giving up big innings in his starts is something I could do without--we played catch-up too many times, just falling short. So if we lose Tex, let's continue looking for one more reliable starter and one more good reliever (and if he's left-handed and replaced Lopez, that would be fine). Baldelli would be nice, too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan-66. Show RedSoxFan-66's posts

Two things here - Like 99% of professional athletes Tex is about the money and if he can play close to his birthplace even better. The Nationals or Borass are convincing him that the Nationals are going to be a Playoff or WS contender.

You won't convince him otherwise unless the RS make one more attempt and break the bank. This contract shouldn't be about guaranteed money. NO WAY! 8-10 yrs! Are you kidding me. Henry and the RS FO are right who knows what becomes of anyone in 8-10 yrs.

GO SOX!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

prediction.........tex signs with the nationals......in 2 or 3 years he'll start crying about wanting to play for a winner. yankees swoop in offer to pick up tex and most of his salary, nationals end up paying about 10-20% of whats left......tex happy, boras happy, yanks happy. sound familiar? can you say a-rod?......this is so much bs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Good for Red Sox. While I was totally in favor of RS adding Teixeira to team have to believe they felt they were being used by Boras. Maybe Teixeira enjoyed his time w/ Angels, or wants to go home [Orioles] and has been using RS to up ante w/ another team. Just seems funny after face to face meeting they walked away, something happened to make them feel this way. They weren't going to be played the way Yanks were w/ CC. When basically bidding against themselves, they upped offer to 7 yrs 161 mil. the RS are not desperate. They still have a gold glove 1B on team who finished high in MVP voting this year, and a gold glove caliber 3b who is capable of going 280 /25 hrs/ 100 rbi & won MVP of 07 WS. Not too Shabby!
    The Red Sox will move on like they have in the past and will look at other avenues to improve team. Maybe a Peavey or D.Lowe wil be next target. But one thing w/ Red Sox and Theo they will make moves to improve team. The only year they basically stood pat was after 07 WS when they were best team in baseball, after 04 they started tearing that team apart because they knew it was to old to sustain it. Red Sox fans Keep the Faith!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dillard45. Show dillard45's posts

The Sox know what they are doing. $190-200 mil for Texiera may mean doubling their payroll when the time comes to signing Youks, Paps, Lester, Beckett, et al. Like every other MLB team (Yankees excepted), the Sox have their limits as far as length of contract.

Will "loss" of Texiera mean no playoffs in 09? Could be. But this is still a team that won 95 games and was one hit away from making it to the World series. This is still a good team, and with a few smaller, well considered moves they should be very good in 09.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from e apthorp. Show e apthorp's posts

I was getting sick at heart about all this earlier in the week, thinking "they're going crazy over this one dude, maybe at the expense of their team chemistry and future ability to negotiate longterm deals with their key players." It cheers me to hear John Henry seemingly drawing a line. He's drawing it pretty far out, given that their offer is something like $184 million and eight years, a staggering total. But he's said, in effect, "this much we are prepared to do; if you can do better elsewhere, go for it; this is our limit." If there are bigger offers on the table and Teixiera chooses to go that way, then so be it: vaya con dios, Mark Teixiera, to Anaheim or Maryland or NYC, and the Sox save their money for other signings and their own troops. Alternatively, if Boras is bluffing, it looks like the Sox FO has just called it. Should that be the case, there will be a whole lot of scrambling behind the scenes in the coming hours and days at Boras' end to work out a face-saving deal that is essentially what Boston has already offered.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Victory12321. Show Victory12321's posts

Could Hunter's coment mean something?

Here it is:

Hunter’s mood brightened considerably when told of Henry’s e-mail. Earlier Thursday, when told Red Sox officials were meeting Teixeira at his home, Hunter said, “That [stinks]. I definitely want him to come back. He made us complete. I know we were up by 11 games when we got him, but he made us that much better.”

Later in the evening, Hunter, who tried to call Teixeira this week and sent him a text-message Thursday night, felt a lot more confident about the Angels’ chances of retaining Teixeira.

“What the Angels did was spectacular, they gave him an offer that blew everyone away, and it shows how badly they want this guy,” Hunter said. “I’m so happy they did that. I can sleep better at night. We can’t let Tex go. He’s very special on this team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from brooklynyanqui. Show brooklynyanqui's posts

Dear Mr Henry:

Thank you so much.

Warmest wishes,

The Yankees Universe

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from brarrell. Show brarrell's posts

Maybe, just maybe, the guy just doesn't want to play for the Red Sox. Some players can have a chance in other places to win. Sox are my choice, but not for everyone. It doesn't have to be ploy to get more bank, it just might be he said to Theo et al "I am making a different choice after all", and it might be Yanks, it might not. He might like pinstripes, CC & AJ, AROD, wearing Angel or Natty red, anything. Just because the media likes to print a bunch of wishful thinking tid bits doesn't mean it will be the reality!

Sox can move on and make some other great moves to help the team. It's a pretty darn-great team as-is (get a catcher and more pitching) and all will be okay. Or not.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from badgealbert. Show badgealbert's posts

[Quote]This is so typical of Red Sox management. Stay put while everyone else gets better. Looks like another 86 years of drought. Way to go Theo and Company!!!!!![/Quote]

THE RED SOX JUST WENT BACK IN TIME AND NOW THE YANKEES WILL BE THE TEAM TO TRY AND BEAT AS THEY PAY FOR THE BEST PLAYERS AND THE RED SOX COUNT THEIR PENNIES AND THE BOSTON FANS ARE STUPID ENOUGH TO SUPPORT A LOOSING TEAM . HOPE WE CAN AT LEAST FINISH AHEAD OF TAMPA BAY WHICH WE COULDN'T DO LAST YEAR WITH OUR GREAT TEAM THAT HAS DONE NOTHING TO IMROVE THEMSELVES.MAYBE WE SHOULD PICK UP THE YANKEE CAST OFFS.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

There is a air of a funeral, the result of the announcement of Henry's email saying the team is not going to be a factor in the Teixeira matter. By most reports, the Red Sox had offered $23 million per year for 8 seasons. Apparently one team, at least, offered a 10 year contract. And the result is that Scott Boras got what he wanted: a bidding war among the Red Sox, Angels, Yankees, Orioles and Nationals. Well, the Red Sox, which does not even need a 1B are not playing. The FO knows what progress Mike Lowell has made since his hip surgery, know whether or not the hip injury was career ending, and know what Lowell has done since he became a Red Sox player. With the exception of Catcher, the Red Sox have the entire starting lineup from the ALCS intact. The team has a !B, Lars Anderson, grooming to be the next Red Sox power hitting 1B, the timing of which coincides with expiration of Mike Lowell's contract. With the 04 and 07 WS Championships, the Red Sox have come to the realization that pitching wins and one of the key aspects of developing a competitive team is scouting and the farm system, Youkilis, Papelbon, Pedroia, Lester, Lowrie, Masterson, Buchholz, Bowden etc. To forget that and follow a different model, like that which brought the MFYs down, Kevin Brown, Sheffield, Giambi, Wright, Pavano etc., the Red Sox do not want to follow. Sometimes, the best deals are the ones that don't get done, e.g. A-Rod for Manny, and nothing against Mark Teixeira who is a "good" player, not a great one, we fans will be glad this deal did not go through.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from badgealbert. Show badgealbert's posts

[Quote]I want the Sox to sign Tex badly but admire and support how the front office do business. They don't overspend for players like the Yankees. They've done it in some occasions but not often. [/Quote]

WHEN YOU "OVERSPEND " FOR TWO VERY GOOD PITCHERS AND PROBABLY FOR TEX AND COME UP WITH A WINNER I WOULD CALL IT GOOD BUSINESS , BUT THE SOX HAVE NEVER HAD MUCH TO SHOUT ABOUT IN THE WAT THEY RUB THEIR BUSINESS HELLO THIRD PLACE HERE WE COME!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from badgealbert. Show badgealbert's posts

[Quote]There is a air of a funeral, the result of the announcement of Henry's email saying the team is not going to be a factor in the Teixeira matter. By most reports, the Red Sox had offered $23 million per year for 8 seasons. Apparently one team, at least, offered a 10 year contract. And the result is that Scott Boras got what he wanted: a bidding war among the Red Sox, Angels, Yankees, Orioles and Nationals. Well, the Red Sox, which does not even need a 1B are not playing. The FO knows what progress Mike Lowell has made since his hip surgery, know whether or not the hip injury was career ending, and know what Lowell has done since he became a Red Sox player. With the exception of Catcher, the Red Sox have the entire starting lineup from the ALCS intact. The team has a !B, Lars Anderson, grooming to be the next Red Sox power hitting 1B, the timing of which coincides with expiration of Mike Lowell's contract. With the 04 and 07 WS Championships, the Red Sox have come to the realization that pitching wins and one of the key aspects of developing a competitive team is scouting and the farm system, Youkilis, Papelbon, Pedroia, Lester, Lowrie, Masterson, Buchholz, Bowden etc. To forget that and follow a different model, like that which brought the MFYs down, Kevin Brown, Sheffield, Giambi, Wright, Pavano etc., the Red Sox do not want to follow. Sometimes, the best deals are the ones that don't get done, e.g. A-Rod for Manny, and nothing against Mark Teixeira who is a "good" player, not a great one, we fans will be glad this deal did not go through.[/Quote]

YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW IF LOWELL WILL BE BACK TO THE LEVEL HE HAS BEEN NEXT YEAR. EVEN IF HE IS I WOULD RATHER HAVE TEX AND TRY TO TRADE LOWELL FOR A GOOD STARTING PITCHER WHO WOULD NOT HAVE TO BE VERY GOOD TO BE BETTER THAN WAKEFIELD

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigfoot14b. Show bigfoot14b's posts

The Yankees have made an offer - count on it.

It probably includes an opt-out clause and no-trade provision, which is something the Red Sox are loathe to do.

Don't think for a minute that this kid forgot how the Red Sox treated him when he was drafted. HE HATES BOSTON and has no intention of playing there. It's the Yankees and it always was the Yankees.

Boras is once again simply using the Red Sox to inflate the price....