1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BLRob. Show BLRob's posts

Mike Lowell needs to be shut down

After watching Mike Lowell wince and hobble through 9 innings last night, it's clear to me that he is eventually going to hurt the Sox more than he is likely to help them.

I was shocked to see that Chone Figgins did not challenge him with a bunt, and instead went 0-5 on the night. I expect it to happen on Friday - and to be honest, as long as Lowell is in there, I don't see why he doesn't do it everytime.

Lowell's inability to run down to first could also kill us. If he doesn maneg to reach first, he's likely to be hobbling into a double play durin the next at-bat...

Bottom Line: I love Iron Mike, but he's not so 'Iron' right now and I think I'd rather take my chances with Casey at 1B and Youk at 3B... you lose a little "D" at first, but I think Casey has more pop in his bat than Mikey does right now.

Thoughts?

The Bottom Line Blog

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmccarthy76. Show bmccarthy76's posts

As much as I don't want to, I may have to agree with you. (except I'd go with Kotsay at 1st or Lowrie at 3rd with Cora at SS----Casey doesn't have much pop).

I was worried Lowell would not be able to make the catch and then move to tag Vlad on that play in the 8th.

We all want a healthy Mike Lowell and maybe he can still help us this postseason down the road

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[Quote]As much as I don't want to, I may have to agree with you. (except I'd go with Kotsay at 1st or Lowrie at 3rd with Cora at SS----Casey doesn't have much pop).

I was worried Lowell would not be able to make the catch and then move to tag Vlad on that play in the 8th.

We all want a healthy Mike Lowell and maybe he can still help us this postseason down the road[/Quote]

I too hate to say it, but it was painful to watch him go through that last night. Maybe it's time to be our best right handed pinch hitter option off the bench ??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Well, I would have said that myself, but I now have to give Francona the benefit of the doubt. The Sox won with the decrepit one at third.

Moreover, with Lowell at third, Youkilis was able to make that terrific play on Guerrero, a play that probably saved the tying run. Neither Casey nor Kotsay would have made the play Youk did.
    Lowell might night start Friday night for exactly the reasons you give. But, if he does start, it won't be because of some ill-conceived loyalty Francona feels. In the playoffs, he is all about winning and putting the best team out there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I think he needs to be watched VERY closely and the 1st sign that the Angels are exploiting his immobility, we gotta get him out. I too LOVE Mike's guts and willingness to sacrifice for our team and I think the whole world sees what we've all seen from Mike since his arrival. Class act all the way.....Manny couldn't carry his jock strap integrity wise.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BLRob. Show BLRob's posts

Some great points guys - the best of which was the fact the Casey or Kotsay wouldn't have made that nice throw to gun down Vladdy...

Other than a bunt, I'm not that worried about Lowell defensively, but it's clear that he is useless at the plate unless he hits one deep. I just don't see him driving the ball well with the injury and he's so hesitant (just watch him on a check swing)... he clearly hurting and frustrated and that isn't going to help him focus.

bmc76 - I'm not sure why you like Cora (.270, 8 2B) and Kotasy (.206, 8 RBI in Sept) in the lineup over Casey (.322, 14 2B)...

The Bottom Line Blog

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from esruc04. Show esruc04's posts

I think if Lowell has to come out we will see Kotsay at first because of the better defense than Casey can offer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BLRob. Show BLRob's posts

Defense will be key against the small ball Angels... I just cringe at the idea of Kotsay, Tek and Lowrie rounding out our lineup... especially against the Angels best picthers...

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

The Bottom Line Blog

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Mike made all his defensive plays yesterday and had 2 decent Ab's that could easily have ended in a walk or line-drive instead of an out.

Maybe rest him vs. Santana, but def start him vs. Saunders.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DWIGHTRIGHT. Show DWIGHTRIGHT's posts

whatever decision is made concerning lowell, one thing is certain: youk must remain at first base.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Agree with Dwight, that Youk need to play 1st!!! He have made alot of great plays during game #1. If Casey was playing 1st during game #1, would he have made that throw to 3rd to get Vlad out? No!! Think Tito have a big decision to make, either he want the best defense out there or put the best hitters in the line up??

Remember defense and pitching win postseason games!!!

So meaning it is more likely that Cora will play SS while Lowre at 3rd.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I DON'T THINK HE WILL BE IN THERE TONIGHT..... MAYBE DAY TO DAY.... IT IS PAINFULL TOO WATCH, EVEN FROM THE COUCH....... WHAT A GUY, THE YOUTH OF AMERICA SHOULD UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE LOWELL'S OF THE GAME AND OTHER WELL KNOWN P R E T E N D E R $ $ $ $$$$$$$$$$$

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BLRob. Show BLRob's posts

softlaws - I find it hard to swallow that Lowell "took away the bunt" just by being out there. However, I don't have an explination for why Figgins or any other Angels didn't try the bunt...

We managed to avoid any defensive blunders in Game 1, but you can't deny that sooner or later Lowell is going to be asked to make a play that he can't make in his current condition...

Let's hope it never happens, but don't act like it's an impossibility.

The Bottom Line Blog

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BLRob. Show BLRob's posts

I agree Bill - Let me clear that I am nort Mike Lowell hater - I love Iron Mike... but he's hurt and frustrated... Let's hope I'm wrong and he comes out looking like a selfless hero.

The Bottom Line Blog

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickarcese. Show nickarcese's posts

[Quote]whatever decision is made concerning lowell, one thing is certain: youk must remain at first base.[/Quote]

AGREED