1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mudbugger. Show mudbugger's posts

Peter Gammons reported on ESPN...

That The Atlanta Braves called the Redsox and offered Mark Texeria for Kevin Youkaliss and Craig Hanson.  Theo politely declined the trade.

Now...personally, I would trade Craig Hanson and a mid level prospect (Chris Carter anyone??), instead of Youkaliss for Texeria.  Other than that, seems to me that Theo got it right in that trade offer.

What are your thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xj9. Show xj9's posts

DONT TRADE YOUK!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patfan11394. Show patfan11394's posts

i like teixiera, but i wouldnt trade youk straight up for him, what we need is help in the pen, our offense is fine besides tek and lugo, youk is one consistent part of our offense, we shouldnt get rid of him. id like to see us get ron mahay, hes a good reliever and can come cheap. Theo should take a look at that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I can't see a match.  I wouldn't trade Youk straight up for Tex, and if we did have an interest, where would he play?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lopi1122. Show lopi1122's posts

i actually would have loved to consider that trade, if hansen were not in it.
    this year youk and tex have almost identical numbers, same fielding percentage, youk is one year older, tex is a switch hitter.
    if it were youk for tex straight up i would consider it thoroughly.
    hansen still has not shown us what he has yet. and as popular he is around redsox nation, he is still in his 24 years old. give him time. do ot trade him
    trading hansen and another prospect instaed of youk would be stupid because when ortiz comes back you have 3 allstars to fill up 2 spots. not a bad problem to have, but it will not sit well with the player sitting out.

this should be interestig

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patfan11394. Show patfan11394's posts

we cant trade youk, hes a good hitter, not quite great, but pretty good, and a great fielder. The reason we would get tex is cause he would be a much better offensive contributor, but if his and youks numbers are the same and how good youk is at defense i wouldnt trade them straight up, never mind adding hansen, who im a little disappointed in so far, but not giving up on him, hes only 24!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

The issue here is not the players it's the contracts.  Tex has far more upside. And worth both players in a trade. Maybe even more.

Youk is cheaper, as in much cheaper, and locked up for longer.

Tex is a free agent next year and might not/probably won't sign next year.  And it will be for huge money.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Oh, yeah!

And why trade for him, when you can get him as a free agent next season?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonrcal. Show bostonrcal's posts

No way Theo!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Randyredsox. Show Randyredsox's posts

No Way do you trade Youk!  He is the Best clutch hitter we have, hands down - better than Ortiz by far (after July 31, 2006 - the last of Ortiz's late innings heroics). 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Heff-17. Show Heff-17's posts

[Quote]No Way do you trade Youk!  He is the Best clutch hitter we have, hands down - better than Ortiz by far (after July 31, 2006 - the last of Ortiz's late innings heroics). [/Quote]

sorry, love Youk, my favorite player actually has been since his Portland days, but I'd rather see Pops with the game on the line than Youk. Youk just struck out with the bases loaded (unfair, it was a game we had no chance in but still), and Pops last heroics were late last year, not in 2006. Sometime in early September i think, against the D-Rays

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Youkilis and Teixeira are really pretty comparable.  Both are good defensive 1B.  Both are nice all-around hitters.  Teixeira has previously shown much better power, but Youkilis has closed some of that gap this year.

The difference is the contracts.  Teixeira has less than three months remaining on his.  Youkilis is under Red Sox control through 2010.  That's like trading a new BMW that you own free and clear for one with three months remaining on its lease.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Heff-17. Show Heff-17's posts

[Quote]Youkilis and Teixeira are really pretty comparable.  Both are good defensive 1B.  Both are nice all-around hitters.  Teixeira has previously shown much better power, but Youkilis has closed some of that gap this year.

The difference is the contracts.  Teixeira has less than three months remaining on his.  Youkilis is under Red Sox control through 2010.  That's like trading a new BMW that you own free and clear for one with three months remaining on its lease.[/Quote]

I admittedly know little about Texiera other than his numbers, but I find it hard to imagine he's more devoted to the game of baseball than Youkilis is. The first time I saw him, when he played my hometeam the AA Sea Dogs, I could immediately tell that he would not rest until he was a major leaguer, and now that he I bet that that's changed to he won't give up till he's the best in the game. I would not be at all surprised if Youkilis make the HoF after all is said and done. Of course, Texiera may too, so you can't really say.

Also Thirty, I love the BMW comparison. Classic.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe301. Show joe301's posts

Teixeira is an elite hitter , who is entering his prime years.  He is the BMW you lease for three months, Youkilis is the Ford F-150 truck,  gets dirty and gets the job done for you.  it depends on the type of car you want. If miney is no issue and you can resign him long term, Teixeira is an upgrade everywhere except the field over Youkilis.  As much as we have a love for dirt dogs in Boston, lets be realistic.  You basically would have a murder's row with Ortiz-Ramirez-Teixeira as your 3-4-5 lineup.   Lets do one quick stat comparison, of career years.  Assuming Youk continues his pace, you have:

SPLITSGABRH2B3BHRRBIBBSOSBCSAVGOBPSLGOPS
    Season88328561032541563326134.314.381.552.933
    Career49517102904901208522622473491210.287.383.457.840
    Last 7624710212102301.417.429.8331.262
    Projected15357097179437261105610657.314.381.552.933

Here is Teixera's best season with Texas, 2005:
    2005TEX162644112194413431447212440.301.379.575.954

In an ideal situation, you would try to keep them both, and eventually move Youkilis to 3B.  But to me, Youk at his best is still way behind Teixeira numbers

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

I wrote a page long post on this the other day, and erased it.  The essence of the post was focused more on defense. 

They are similar players, but imo Youk is far more versatile at defense.  Consider this:  Youk has played every position but P, C, and SS.  In each of those positions, he has never made more than 3 errors.

Tex was tried at 3rd base for 15 games.  He made 7 errors.

Do a side-by-side comparison of these players and you'll start to see that Youk is the better defensive player, while Tex is better at the plate.   So the question becomes, how many runs has Youk's glove saved the Sox, versus how many clutch RBIs does Tex have?  Youk traditionally declines at the plate in the second half of the season, but his glove at 1st and 3rd is hard to beat. 

DO NOT trade Youkilis. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from peskypole. Show peskypole's posts

Well, if Gammons is reporting it, then there's no way it's going to happen.  Seriously, has he ever reported a trade rumor that actually materialized?

Mudbugger, you suggested that, instead of Youk, you'd throw in a mid-level prospect and Hansen for Texeria.  Why would the Braves do such a thing?  Typically, you have to give up something good to get something good.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxncycles. Show soxncycles's posts

[Quote]I wrote a page long post on this the other day, and erased it.  The essence of the post was focused more on defense. 

They are similar players, but imo Youk is far more versatile at defense.  Consider this:  Youk has played every position but P, C, and SS.  In each of those positions, he has never made more than 3 errors.

Tex was tried at 3rd base for 15 games.  He made 7 errors.

Do a side-by-side comparison of these players and you'll start to see that Youk is the better defensive player, while Tex is better at the plate.   So the question becomes, how many runs has Youk's glove saved the Sox, versus how many clutch RBIs does Tex have?  Youk traditionally declines at the plate in the second half of the season, but his glove at 1st and 3rd is hard to beat. 

DO NOT trade Youkilis. [/Quote]

I don't think Tex is better at the plate. So far this year, Youk beats Tex in every catergory except HRs. Tex has 17. Youk has 15.

Youk has a .314 BA compared to .271 for Teixeira. Youk also has a better OBP and SLG.

We don't need Teixeira.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from peskypole. Show peskypole's posts

If the Braves wanted Youk and Hansen, why would they then accept a trade for a prospect and Hansen?  Wouldn't make sense for them to do it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeyRedSox. Show MikeyRedSox's posts

[Quote]
    Mudbugger, you suggested that, instead of Youk, you'd throw in a mid-level prospect and Hansen for Texeria.  Why would the Braves do such a thing?  Typically, you have to give up something good to get something good.[/Quote]

according to many, many people who post here, all you have to do is "throw in a propsect" to make any wacky, off-the-wall trade (like Hansen for Teixera, for example) happen.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from peskypole. Show peskypole's posts

Besides, if Gammons is reporting it, then it's not going to happen.  Seriously, has he ever reported a trade rumor that materialized?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from peskypole. Show peskypole's posts

Oh, and sorry for the multiple postings. . . didn't realize the first one got posted. . . i f-ing hate this new format!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mudbugger. Show mudbugger's posts

Pesky and Mikey...

Depending on how serious the Braves want to make a treade and how deperate they become near the trade deadline, you never know what the Braves might take.  Texeria is strictly a rent a player...and the biggest benefit for obtaining him now, is if he signs for another team in the fall, you get two supplemental picks right after the first round.

So in my opinion a mid-level pick would be someone in AAA or AA (Charlie Zink..maybe who is stuck in AAA, Chris Carter, etc).  You could possibly package 3 players for Texeria.  And yes I agree that you need to give up quality to get quality, but Theo won't give up the elite prospects for someone who is or will be considered a rent a player for 3 months.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In an ideal situation, you would try to keep them both, and eventually move Youkilis to 3B.  But to me, Youk at his best is still way behind Teixeira numbers

You can't make the comparison without taking into consideration the Arlington affect.  If you compared just the road numbers, the two are almost identical.  You'd be paying about $15M more for almost nothing.  Actually, if you take into account Youk's PO performance, we'd likely be behind.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

IF we could get Texeira to sign a multi-year deal, I say do it! He's only 28, actually hits l/h'ers better than rh'ers, and is above avg. defensively. Unfortunately, I don't know if it's possible to negotiate a long term contract with a player bEFORE trading for him; I wouldn't do it for a 2 1/2 month rental.

That all said, Texeira's past shows him a better second half hitter, vs. Youk's history of FADING in Aug/Sept. Tex has even  played outfield(poorly) in past, and is a switch hitter who's shown power in Atl AND texas, also around league-look up his career road/ home #'s.
    Ideally we'd keep Youk and deal a package for Tex, possibly platooning him with Papi at dh, as Papi no longer effective vs. lh'ers.And Tex could give Manny or Lowell a rest against r/h'ers.
    Plus, how realistic IS it to count on Ortiz for balance of '08 ? I'd love to get Tex OR Berkman as Papi/Manny future insurance, and if needed, would gladly trade Youk for either. Re; Hansen, i'm tired of finishing a beer between strikes thrown, throw him in for a bag of balls.