1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dougcorderma. Show dougcorderma's posts

Significant injuries in Boston sports history

The drug overdose on the Celtic's first round draft pick that put the Celtics out of contention for about a quarter of a century.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

[Quote]Drew Bledsoe anyone...[/Quote]

Check out the article. Drew is the first one mentioned.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from neelason2. Show neelason2's posts

Normand Levielle, more serious than brady's knee

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattacme. Show mattacme's posts

Matt Clement against the Devil Rays Carl Crawford in 2005, took a line drive to the side of his head and never really recovered.

Also, what about Fred Lynn's crash into the outfield wall that inspired padding to be installed in just about every park but Wrigley?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSUmom09. Show PSUmom09's posts

[Quote]

How they left this one off the list is beyond belief.[/Quote]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSUmom09. Show PSUmom09's posts

[Quote]

How they left this one off the list is beyond belief.[/Quote]
    I agree he was the first one I thought of when the talked about serious injuries. must be a red sox fan !

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattacme. Show mattacme's posts

[Quote]

Patrice Bergeron last year ( I"m still upset with the lack of response by his teammates for not sticking up for/retaliating against the Flyers), Norm Levielle in the 80's; what about Barry Pederson's arm tumor when he was traded for Cam. Less serious perhaps, but again embarassing in how the Bruins responded was Chris Nilan's butt-ending of Rick Middleton in the face. Similarly, Craig Janney was not quite the same after being high sticked in the playoffs by Dale Hunter...

[/Quote]
    Bergeron is in the lineup.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pl7379. Show pl7379's posts

Matt Clement hit by pitch.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from petersch. Show petersch's posts

What about Carlton Fisk? His knee injury in early 70's and his broken arm in '75.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdnark. Show jdnark's posts

Jim Lonborg was my dentist. Who knows what my teeth would have been like had he not gone skiing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdnark. Show jdnark's posts

Jim Lonborg was my dentist. Who knows what my teeth would have been like had he not gone skiing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chluke. Show chluke's posts

Tiny Archibald in '80 or '82 in Eastern Conference Finals, I think. Hurting his shoulder in Game 1 against the 76ers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hiker24. Show hiker24's posts

Thanks Thomas 1126. Matt Clement was one of the scariest moents in sports injury history--off the bat of Carl Crawford on the Rays. Like Tony C, probably ended his career.

We also forget football players, who die every year on practice fields in August due to heat exhaustion and young hockey players, who die after a check to theirs hearts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from weldonsue. Show weldonsue's posts

John Valentin's knee. 2000. I was at that game and it was grusome.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RCiampa63. Show RCiampa63's posts

What about 1989 when the Patriots lost defensive starters Garin Veris, Andre Tippett and Ronnie Lippett to season-ending injuries during an exhibition game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from firesound. Show firesound's posts

How about when Teddy Green got a stick slammed in had head by Wayne Maki (sp?).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mika41. Show mika41's posts

Damian Jackson and Johnny Damon knocking their heads together ...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skott. Show skott's posts

Normand Levielle for the Bruins.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogBoud. Show RogBoud's posts

Teddy Green of the Boston Bruins

INDEPTH: THE BERTUZZI INCIDENT10 Hockey Violence Lowlights CBC Sports Online | March 9, 2004

Wayne Maki fractures Ted Green's skull

Imagine the worst stick-swinging incident of the modern NHL era, complete with heavy wooden sticks and helmets nowhere in sight.

Voila, you have St. Louis' Wayne Maki opposite "Terrible" Ted Green of the Boston Bruins, circa 1969-70 in Ottawa.

In the midst of a pre-season game, Maki knocked Green down from behind. The latter retaliated by slashing Maki, who hit the ice. Maki speared Green, who again sent Maki flying. The pair soon exchanged vicious slashes until Maki clubbed Green over the head, fracturing his skull.

Green needed three major operations to save his life and had a steel plate inserted in his head. Maki was suspended for 30 days and Green for 12 games when he returned to action one year later. Assault charges were filed against both players, who were later acquitted.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxnationwest2. Show redsoxnationwest2's posts

Norm Levielle sticks out in my mind...so does Joe Juneau's broken jaw...and that line drive off Clement's dome...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cebubaby. Show cebubaby's posts

Troy Brown before Super Bowl 31. A lot of people forget that Brown was a special teams ace that year. The Pats closed to within a TD of Green Bay after Curtis Martin scored on a 21-yard TD. However, Desmond Howard took the following kick-off back for a TD and that destroyed whatever momentum the Pats had gained. Hason Graham, who replaced Troy on special teams, missed a tackle on Howard, and then the refs missed Adam Vinatieri being held by #95 on the Packers. A lot of people forget that Adam ran down Hershel Walker earlier that season on a kick-off, and he may have been tackle Desmond Howard.

Also, a huge loss was Lyn Dawson in Super Bowl 20. He was injured on the Pats' first drive and he was a great blocking tight end.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nobrainge. Show nobrainge's posts

Did Wade Boggs get hurt when he fell out of his wife's car?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sousase. Show sousase's posts

Teddy Green --Coming off of his best season in 1969 (for which he was named to the Second All-Star Team), Green was involved in an infamous incident in an exhibition game in Ottawa versus the St. Louis Blues on September 21, 1969, engaging in a bloody stick fight with Blues' forward Wayne Maki. Green was struck in the head, suffering a fractured skull and brain damage, and missing the remainder of the 1970 season, during which Boston won the Stanley Cup.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from acarsaid. Show acarsaid's posts

Back in the early 60s there was a kid playing hockey (defenseman) for BU - can't remember his name. He was very good - and at least against Harvard (the only times I saw him play) he didn't came off the ice only every second or third time there was a line change - maybe even less than that. I think he was credited with something like 58 minutes against BC one night. He was paralyzed after a bad fall on a trampoline - only a sophomore

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rokket. Show Rokket's posts

How about Pats' QB Jim Plunkett's injury in 1975 that led to the emergence of Steve Grogan and a few good years for the Pats that included two trips to the playoffs?