1. You have chosen to ignore posts from forkballer. Show forkballer's posts

Tek Stare Down

"Facing a Friday deadline to accept the Red Sox's contract offer, Jason Varitek is considering sitting out the 2009 season or even retiring, according to the Boston Globe."

BYE BYE CAPTAIN!

It will be a disappointment if the SOX play into this typical Boras trap. They should respond by offering TEK less- perhaps $2M for one year. It will not hurt the team to go with one or two younger catchers and use the pitching coach to work out the strategy for the game. Tek and Boras are playing poker with their cards face up and with a low hand!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Heff. Show Heff's posts

Tek Stare Down

One word. Borass!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Tek Stare Down

Sean McAdams was just on Comcast Sportsnet and said Tek might retire instead of taking the Red Sox offer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Tek Stare Down

[Quote]Sean McAdams was just on Comcast Sportsnet and said Tek might retire instead of taking the Red Sox offer.[/Quote]

Yea, because the Sox' offer is just to low I guess ?? Another brilliant negotiating strategy, perhaps suggested by Boring A$$ ?? Now the Sox are suppose to bid against him Retiring ?? LOL ... I hope he still has his clubs and fishing poles from the Divorce because along with a bunch of money he has now lost all forms of dignity !! At one point I really wanted this to end with a happy ending with Tek coming back and having a good year so he could retire on a positive note, now I just want it to end !! I guess we will have our own book pretty soon !!

GO SOX !! AMERICA'S TEAM OF THE NEW MILLENIUM !!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

Tek Stare Down

So Tek and his agent make a mistake, and now Tek may retire over it???

OK I guess - have a hard time feeling bad for the guy, but, it was his mistake to decline arb and now his choice if he wants to retire over the fall-out from his own miscalculation.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sti328. Show sti328's posts

Tek Stare Down

Tek needs to accept and then fire Boras!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

Tek Stare Down

Let's see your in your thirties and you can consider turning down an offer for $5 million because you can afford to retire.......

My son is almost the same age and trying to figure out how to pay his taxes, mortgage, and eat at the same time........

Tek, thanks for the memories, and enjoy your retirement, I hope someday in 30 years my son will too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

Tek Stare Down

There may be strategy in this---i think that if he is signed post june 1 or similar date, there is no longer the lost draft choice. So after the said date, the market for him wd open up because 1) cost is much less and 2) a good team may have a greater need of him then than now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

Tek Stare Down

If he declines the offer, mybe he'll end up in the Bronx with Posada being a question mark coming off of surgery. That would be fine. The Yankees will over pay him & he'll still be an automatic out. He'd still be helping the Red Sox out by killing the inning for the Yankees. That would cancel the Teixeira acquisition with out the Red Sox spending a dime.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Tek Stare Down

No matter what, I don't particularly like the idea of Tek signing with the Yanks. His knowledge of hitters could be helpful to their pitching staff, and his knowledge of our pitching staff could be helpful to their hitters.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

Tek Stare Down

It is time to enter the post Tek era. We loved you, but it's over. It's all over. 10 Million over Two years (assuming he performs) is a lot of money to walk away from. He must be a very rich guy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Tek Stare Down

Tek has three weeks to prepare to meet the press and go forward.

I'm here and I'm doing what I love to do. I will try to prove to Red Sox Nation last year was a difficult year and in the past.

He doesn't have to explain to the Nation and least of all the press why he did what he did. He took a gamble and in these difficult financial times the gamble didn't work the way he hoped. End of story--let's play baseball and win another pennant.

Everything is on let's go forward mode.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

Tek Stare Down

[Quote]There may be strategy in this---i think that if he is signed post june 1 or similar date, there is no longer the lost draft choice. So after the said date, the market for him wd open up because 1) cost is much less and 2) a good team may have a greater need of him then than now.[/Quote]

I've read something like this before - I think it would be somewhat frowned upon and would be somewhat of an unethical move??

It would definitely give fans even more ammo to hate Boras, LOL.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bossoxAl. Show bossoxAl's posts

Tek Stare Down

Is Tek. smarter than we think he is or is his ego too big. I guess he will sleep on this tonight. Hope he has his alarm set for 8 tomorrow.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

Tek Stare Down

I feel its important to stare down Boras at this point. Dont blink, Theo.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Tek Stare Down

[Quote]
    hope epstein does better at this "poker" game than he did in the teixeria game
    [/Quote]

Oh, yeah, poker. Maybe Tek can survive on 5 mil vs. the 10-12 mil he turned down. I have a hard time feeling sorry for him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Tek Stare Down

[Quote]No matter what, I don't particularly like the idea of Tek signing with the Yanks. His knowledge of hitters could be helpful to their pitching staff, and his knowledge of our pitching staff could be helpful to their hitters.[/Quote]

The Yanks spend money like drunken sailors. But, even they are not dumb enough to try to sign Tek to go along with their brittle catcher!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from brarrell. Show brarrell's posts

Tek Stare Down

[Quote]Sean McAdams was just on Comcast Sportsnet and said Tek might retire instead of taking the Red Sox offer.[/Quote]

Did Tek actually say this, or is it just some more agent-bluff-speak, or even possibly some media-type's dramatization. I'd like to hear a direct quote from Varitek before I believe this. So many people said Tex was a Sox, and we know that was never happening, so I wait for the truth.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

Tek Stare Down

Tek has $40 million. Do You? Hope he retires. We have too many holes, injured and question marks on this team already. Team will need to have doctors on hand in all the cities they play as they have many wounded players who may snap out of it and play well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from deggy24. Show deggy24's posts

Tek Stare Down

Tek is going to sign. Fair offer, just a little slow news day drama to keep some interest up in a sort of slow offseason. Whether he is worth it or not is irrelevant, the Sox had to show some respect to somebody eventually. Part of me would love it if he played Independant league and signed with someone at mid-season just to say f*k u to an FO who acts spitefully to those that don't accept their offer. But I think he'll be there in all his Teknarian glory.