1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

terrible trade

The Red Sox will also lose the 2 1st round picks that the Dodgers will now get when Manny does not re-sign with the Dodgers.

The Red Sox all and all gave up a lot!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from njsoxfan7. Show njsoxfan7's posts

terrible trade

Unfortunately Manny forced the FO's hand. I think he was making it clear to them and to his team mates that he had no desire to play in Boston anymore and was going to lay down the rest of the season. They had to do something and they did. You can whine all you want about who they gave up but the fact is this team is still capable of winning it all with the pitching, hitting, etc and the one disgruntled player is gone. How did you all feel when Nomar was traded for Cabrera and Mankeiwitz? That one looks just like this one and how did it turn out. The team chemistry will be more positive now. I didn't want to see Manny go but he wants more money and wants to be a free agent and was not going to play hard for this team, so thanks Manny for helping win two WS championships and let's move on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cogtc777. Show cogtc777's posts

terrible trade

the season was done if they kept manny and now we get to see what Bay can do in a stretch run. At least well have our starting left fielder wholl play against any pitcher who throws over 95 mph. Imagine Manny the next two years and what kind of production hell bring to the table. Sorry but pramatics always lose in the end, and in this case getting rid of Manny will strengthen them in all facets including positive energy, which helps in a long season. He had stolen the prestige of the Slox for the last time and lets see what he does when Larry Bowa leans down his throat when he doesnt hustle.. Atleast the fight might be a little more equal!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dboss. Show dboss's posts

terrible trade

What a awful trade........I know the Sox needed to move him but this is hard to believe!

dboss

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from longview1967. Show longview1967's posts

terrible trade

I liked the first deal I heard about, getting a solid reliever and Bay from Pittsburgh for Manny. I'm sad to see he leave but not sorry. But this one makes no sense. If the RS are carrying most of Manny's salary this year, AND giving up a number of young players who are well thought of by scouts on other teams (whatever the naysayers here might think) withoug getting anyone except Bay is awful. Forget about what you think about Hansen, etc. Just look at the business side of the thing. It stinks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from roberr48. Show roberr48's posts

terrible trade

Man how did we ever win without Nomar......? Same thing can happen without Manny...Addition by subtraction....We lose a goofy once great hitter (little past his prime), questionable teammate, occassional loafer (trotter) and quitter (see August 2006) is gone....If you are still Manny lovers..........Get a Life....Root for the Sox.....no individual should be bigger than the team....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from roberr48. Show roberr48's posts

terrible trade

Man how did we ever win without Nomar......? Same thing can happen without Manny...Addition by subtraction....We lose a goofy once great hitter (little past his prime), questionable teammate, occassional loafer (trotter) and quitter (see August 2006) is gone....If you are still Manny lovers..........Get a Life....Root for the Sox.....no individual should be bigger than the team....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve49. Show steve49's posts

terrible trade

This year may or may not pan out the way we all would like. But the problem now has a solution. Whether it is a good solution or not can only be told by time, but the problem is gone. Remy and Orsilo, Manny's greatest apologists, clearly stated that Manny was wrong. There was no great cry defending Manny from the players; no Manny being Manny speeches - nothing. I think the silence by those who work every day with him spoke volumes against Manny. Now the Sox have a good, not great, outfielder and some more money to play with in the off season. Manny clearly wanted more time and money after his contract was up than the FO was willing to give him. Now the FO is free to pursue other avenues in the off season without the distraction of Manny. Hanson was a huge liability. His pitch patterns shown on TV looked like they came from a shotgun, not a pitcher. Moss was a fourth outfielder at best on this club, and would have remained that way until they either traded him for someone else or he became a free agent. I believe I'll wait until the final out of the season to decide if this was a good move or a bad one.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mh916. Show mh916's posts

terrible trade

Bay is one of the best young power hitters in baseball. He might hit 50 HRs next year. I think it's a fantastic trade for the Sox. Moss and Hansen were never gonna be great. I think Theo did a great job.

Manny was a cancer who brought all this on himself. It's entirely his fault he got traded.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 23zerocool. Show 23zerocool's posts

terrible trade

Why are we even complaining about the trade? It's over and done with; time to move on. There's no way the Sox could get equal value for Manny. Just let them play and see how it shakes out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

terrible trade

how many of were ticked when we let nomar go for chrismas sake..Let it work itself out...maybe now 9 people will be playing...Hansen wasn't very good anyhow...Moss was never going to stay up for any period of time and who really cares about money anyway.....
    Also, when francona gets tired of playing the games you can be rest assured that the crap has gone on long enough....

wake up some red sox bats...that might fix a whole lot of stuff

lets just play ball....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mh916. Show mh916's posts

terrible trade

Someone said we could have got Pudge for Hansen. Why would we want another old catcher? I don't think Pudge will do anything for the Yankees.

Great Trade!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wildcats32. Show wildcats32's posts

terrible trade

How can you defend this trade when the yankees just gave up 4 bums for xavier nady and Damaso Marte (bullpen help the red sox could have used)

you're telling me the red sox couldn't make a deal like this?

great job theo!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

terrible trade

to mh916--
    Two great posts:
    Bay will hit 50 HRs next year.
    Sox don't need an old catcher (Pudge)
    Now that's a true homer!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from officersev. Show officersev's posts

terrible trade

we obviously over paid but anyone who has half a brain knows that HE HAD TO GO! HE WAS SInGLE HAnDEDLY DESTROY THE TEAM!!!! GOOD BYE YOU UnGREATFUL, SLACKInG LOSER!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hulk. Show hulk's posts

terrible trade

This is why players truly hate plalying in Boston. The players love the fans and the history, but the media and the ownership are bullies. The Red Sox gave up Manny, Moss, Hansen AND $7 million for jason bay?! I honestly don't mind trading Manny, but not at this price. Don't be suprised if you see Papi gone next year. The ownership here shows little or no loyalty to their players. We should've at least got some prospects as well!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from scootj. Show scootj's posts

terrible trade

Theo did what he had to do. If he kept Manny he would have cried and dogged it the last 2 months and the team probably does not make playoffs. Is Bay as good as Manny no but the players had had it with Manny's BS. The only good thing that would have happened if they kept Manny is they would have got 2 1st rd draft picks next year when Manny became a free agent something the Dodgers will now get. Hansen I dont think will ever be a good pitcher, but Moss could be like a David Murphy solid outfielder.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from surabaya. Show surabaya's posts

terrible trade

Yankee Fan here.

I've read a little on this and it looks like Manny's teamates got tired of "Manny being Manny". The Sox are way less scary without Ramirez protecting Ortiz.

I'm not sure the Yanks have enough to make it far in October, but they look better (on paper) than the Sox at the moment.

How about Joe Torre and Ramirez together in... Los Angeles? Strange days indeed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from brarrell. Show brarrell's posts

terrible trade

So, I was thinking this was a good deal. THEN I saw the Sox tossed money for the contract in there, and Moss, for one guy we don't know will thrive in the big market? I'll scratch my head, but hopefully something good will come of it.

Keep them thar fingers, toes, legs, and eyes crossed!

I really want to know what happened to all those relievers the Sox were looking to get? That was a greater need, IMO.

I guess now the press can shut up so the Sox can get back to business and start winning some games. Media is mostly the reason all this garbage took place anyhoo.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from REW. Show REW's posts

terrible trade

Fear Not!!! Tek calls a great game!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

terrible trade

The worst part of this to me is Laroche. The team tried before to pry him from Dodgers in Manny deal and were turned down. Now LA is willing to give up Laroche and a pitcher for 2 months of Manny.

The Sox should have taken Laroche themselves in the deal and dumped someone else who's redundant Pitt's way. Laroche is a 20HR 3b waiting to happen which is exactly what the Sox need for the future with no ss/3B prospects coming up soon beyond Lowrie. It's realyl moronic that they let that guy go once LA put him out there.

It's extremely likely that Laroche will have the best year of all the players in this deal next year. He hit 18HR last year in less than 300 at bats in the PCL and plays a more coveted position than LF.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

terrible trade

When I first heard of the trade I said "wow, that's a lot to give up". After I heard they threw in the cash i said "wow, what a terrible trade". After thinking about it I've decided they had to make the deal. Manny would have quit on this team like he did in '06. So they are really adding Bay for Hansen. Moss was in Pawtucket and Manny was a cancer. I, for one am glad to see him gone. And I can't wait for someone to overpay him next year only for Manny to quit on them too.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

terrible trade

Bay is hitting .209 with RISP and .193 vs lefties this year.
    Manny is hitting .309 with RISP and .274 vs lefties this year.

Those are huge discrepancies that are going to haunt us bigtime.

LOL! There are 40 pages of stats available on every player, so it's child's play to find one that favors your side. Bay's lifetime stats with RISP and L/R are more than reasonable.

Your simplistic analogy is like me saying Manny has stunk with bases loaded and that will come back to haunt us.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugalishus. Show pugalishus's posts

terrible trade

what this boils down to is another over paid player being a baby. If he really loved playing here and really care about his team-mates and it's not about the money like he claims he would have stayed and pushed through it, Regardless whether he disliked the RedSox management. This is why I rather watch the Pat's. And if he stayed do you think he wouldn't be bitter and act against his team? Your fooled if you think he would play his heart out for us as Fans or even his team mates. I say we should not hold these players to GOD like standards their heads are inflated enough!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UPstateNYsoxfan. Show UPstateNYsoxfan's posts

terrible trade

[Quote]Comparing the splits between Manny and Bay, there are some glaring numbers that can't be ignored:

Bay is hitting .209 with RISP and .193 vs lefties this year.
    Manny is hitting .309 with RISP and .274 vs lefties this year.

Those are huge discrepancies that are going to haunt us bigtime.
    [/Quote]there are no numbers that can determine how his attitude has had a negative impact on his teammates. it'll hurt for a while and we'll get over it. i'd rather have a guy that gives 100% because manny was going to give nothing to the team.