1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Watch the Refs in Colts vs. Bolts!

Ever since the Colts played the Steelers in the AFC champ game, the refs made plenty of calls in the Colts favor(NE fans should know this well), we saw it last season against the Bolts on the kickoff return for a TD by the Bolts. If it's a close game I expect another very questionable or no call in favor of the Colts. I know the excuse about the refs being old and having poor vision, but I find it interesting that none of the bad calls ever hurt Indy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

I SUSPECT PHANTOM PI CALLS MAY OCCUR

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[Quote]
    I SUSPECT PHANTOM PI CALLS MAY OCCUR
    [/Quote]

JBOLT, I think there are a few teams that noticeably get screwed by the refs: The Browns, the Pats, the Raiders, the Seahawks and the Chargers. And there are a few teams that catch all the breaks from the officials: The Jets, the Colts, the Broncos, the Colts, the Jaguars, the Colts, the Steelers, the Colts and the Colts. Ultimately, it's hard to tell if the Pats or the Chargers got robbed more by the refs this year. In the Chargers' case, it was more flagrant with their first Broncos game and almost kept them out of the play-offs. In the Pats case, the refs made it almost impossible for the Pats to play the Jets in the second meeting, letting the Jets virtually tackle the Pats' receivers runing their routes, and of course in the Colts' game we had our phantom holding call in the red zone on Vrabel, plus a phantom P/I call and it did keep the Pats out of the play-offs.

Either way, if the Colts win, I fully expect that lopsided officiating will have been the difference. I didn't see as many Colts games this years as in years past, but in every game I saw multiple gifts of the kind that can not simply be owed to human error. The Colts would not even be in the play-offs if not for the gifts in the games I saw. "Miracle come-from-behind game finishes" my as...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

No doubt about it the NFL and the media want a Manning-Manning Superbowl!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

The only flaw in their plan is an inexplicable tendency of Peyton's to screw up in the playoffs. The Chargers need to make sure the game cannot be swayed by a bad call or two. Even Norv should be wise enough to see this. While the money men may want to see an all-Manning SB, I just don't see it happening. Even if they beat SD tonight, Pittsburgh (or Tennessee) will be a different story. Don't be fooled by the Colts win in week 17, Jeff owed Tony a favor, so didn't play his best guys. I actually think the Colts will get the Steelers, as the Ravens should be able to rattle Pennington. While I believe we'll see a few "upsets" this weekend, the top 4 teams should be able to take care of business next week. Hopefully we won't have to worry about the nauseating scenario of two weeks of Archie's home movies leading up to the big game in Tampa. I would love it if both the Colts and Giants made it to the conference championships...then both lost! That surely would have the admen in anguish thinking of how sweet it could have been!!! I predict the Panthers over the Titans in Tampa. On a last minute jump ball caught by Steve Smith. But all the Chargers need to do is score early and not let up tonight. They cannot let the game come down to where a "phantom" call can lose it for them like they did in Denver.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Lets all watch for penalties both ways. Put away the popcorn and get out the pen and paper.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaxpat. Show jaxpat's posts

It's not so much the amount of penalities but it's the timing on the penalties. Do the Colts benefit from late flags in crucial situation?

If we see this trend continue something has to be done.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

There is no doubt the Hochuli call was a bad call during the game, but don't forget - the Chargers still had 3 chances to stop the Broncos and failed to do so. They stopped them on 3rd down and then on 4th they let in a pass play over the middle for a TD. Then, instead of going for the 1 pt PART, the Broncos went for 2 and the win. The same play over the middle was again not stopped by the Chargers. A stop on either of those plays results in a Chargers win. They failed.

The point is while there are bad calls in games, the players still need to execute. While that one single bad call led to the Broncos having the chance the score, the Chargers weren't able to stop them when they should have. Blame the refs all you want. Blame an NFL conspiracy all you want. Somehow, I don't think Goodell was parting the Chargers defense to let those passes through though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Enoch... some common sense comes into the equation!!

How true are those statements of yours? VERY! Even though we all rail against the bad calls, the unlucky bounce, miracle play, unless that call/play was the VERY last play of a game and the entire game turned on that call/play, every team can still control their fate with subsequent plays.

In the SB, the Pats still could have stopped the Giants from scoring in those last 40 seconds or so of the game after Tyree's miracle catch. They didn't. The Chargers lost a game to the Panthers on a last second pass bomb to the end zone. They could have stopped that play, right? What it all boils down to is this: Even after a bad call or play, if your team still has an opportunity to score or stop a team from scoring, how can you blame that ONE call/play for your loss unless it was the VERY last play?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

m

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I see alot of people are talking about other teams and bad calls, I'm not! The team that has gotten very questionable calls in their favor are the Colts and only the Colts. Peyton is the face of corporate america and they pay big bucks for advertising. Anyone who thinks it has nothing to do with the NFL is just plain wrong. Earlier last year the NFL had to layoff employees because of the economy, it wasn't ticket sales mind you, it was a drop off in ad $$. One way or the other Ad $ get funneled into NFL league coffers.
    To repeat, it's the Colts an only the Colts that get these strange calls in their favor, let's just watch the game tonight and see if it happens again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[Quote]Enoch... some common sense comes into the equation!!

How true are those statements of yours? VERY! Even though we all rail against the bad calls, the unlucky bounce, miracle play, unless that call/play was the VERY last play of a game and the entire game turned on that call/play, every team can still control their fate with subsequent plays.

In the SB, the Pats still could have stopped the Giants from scoring in those last 40 seconds or so of the game after Tyree's miracle catch. They didn't. The Chargers lost a game to the Panthers on a last second pass bomb to the end zone. They could have stopped that play, right? What it all boils down to is this: Even after a bad call or play, if your team still has an opportunity to score or stop a team from scoring, how can you blame that ONE call/play for your loss unless it was the VERY last play?[/Quote]

The only game I can think of in recent memory is last year's Pats/Ravens where the refs didn't call the double pass interference on the last catch down by the goal line where the TD would have put the Ravens ahead. And, even if it is the last call, the team (at least the Pats) would say that they should have made plays earlier.

I see complaints about the call on Thomas for a late hit in INdy, but some of the people complaining about that call seem to forget that it was 1. legitimate and 2. Gaffney's drop for a sure TD and 3. Belichick's lousy clock time out management and the challenge on the too many men call.

I see complaints about the overtime game v. the Jets being decided on a coin flip when the Pats just had to make one stop to get the ball back but gave up 16 yards on a 3rd and 15.

I honestly don't have a gripe about how the Pats played this year. Some of those stupid moves do come back and haunt you, but at 11-5 they are a playoff caliber team who just happens to be home for the playoffs. They just had the misfortune of running up against two other wild card teams that have a better record or win the tie breaker.

I think it is a shame that there is an 8-8 team in the playoffs and I would think this regardless of the Pats situation. This means that not one team in an entire division had a winning record. And, while the Chargers certainly did what they had to do when the chips were down by winning their last 4 games, people seem to forget that they needed a complete collapse by the Broncos as well. IT happened. Good for them to get into the playoffs on a winning streak. But it is still a travesty to have no winning record in the division.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LifeTimePat. Show LifeTimePat's posts

Agsbill... Grogan makes a very valid point. The NFL, like any other entity is motivated by money and it's decisions reflect that.

you said "In the SB, the Pats still could have stopped the Giants from scoring in those last 40 seconds or so of the game after Tyree's miracle catch. They didn't."

I can't believe that you neglect the multiple holding calls and missed in-the-grasp call that ALLOWED Eli to complete this "miracle" throw. Take a look at the SI cover after the game clearly showing a full Nelson hold on NE defenders!!

You boil it down to the very last play. But the very last play would not have occured if the one before it didn't happen.... so it's a series of events that happen due to one bad call...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Funny how Manning never seemed to get "miracle" comebacks when Mora was the coach...Only seems to have started happening after both Dungy and Polian got on the rules commitee...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[Quote]I see alot of people are talking about other teams and bad calls, I'm not! The team that has gotten very questionable calls in their favor are the Colts and only the Colts. Peyton is the face of corporate america and they pay big bucks for advertising. Anyone who thinks it has nothing to do with the NFL is just plain wrong. Earlier last year the NFL had to layoff employees because of the economy, it wasn't ticket sales mind you, it was a drop off in ad $$. One way or the other Ad $ get funneled into NFL league coffers.
    To repeat, it's the Colts an only the Colts that get these strange calls in their favor, let's just watch the game tonight and see if it happens again.[/Quote]

Grogan.. Yes, I can say it is a head scratcher. It does make you wonder why calls go a certain way for certain teams so often. I have watched many games other than Pats games. Living in Maryland gives you that choice. With no team to pull for, when I watch a Colts game, I am amazed at the calls that team gets compared to others. That sentiment is echoed a lot in this country. (Colts fans are TRULY blind to this fact.) Why? It is a very hard stretch to think it is a contrived effort by the league, but, it makes you wonder about the vast inconsistency of calls and fines. The recent case of Welker's snow angel verus Ellis' giant snowball is classic. How are they equally fineable??

In the end.. can we simply say this: The Pats have been on top for so long that the rest of the country wants someone new to be in the picture regularly. Wouldn't surprise me if we had this media elements in place in the 70's, 80'sd and 90's, the hate currently raining down on the Pats organization would also rain donw on the Steelers, Cowboys, 49'ers, Broncos of those days during their dynastic runs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Are you suggesting Manning is the new beneficiary of the Jordan Rules?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

I hear you agc...Sad part is when watching football games, I find myself saying "if Manning threw that pass a flag would have been thrown". So sad the integrity of the game has been ruined..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

Will the refs give the game to the Colts or the Bolts is the only reason to even watch this game.

I predict a snore feast of bad football untill the 4th quater when the refs will stop calling offensive holding so the "Players can play".

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[Quote]Are you suggesting Manning is the new beneficiary of the Jordan Rules?[/Quote]

If that were a poll question, underdogg, I do not think Colts Nation would like the result. Sort of puts a damper on whether or not the Colts truly deserved some of their victories!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patfan11394. Show patfan11394's posts

i remember that play in 2006 where reggie wayne clearly brought down the cb going for the ball in indy and they called def pass interference, that had to be the worst call ive ever seen. the refs have always been on the manning's side, it was proven again during sb 42 during that tyree play, there was 6 holds on that one play and the ref was right there watching and didnt blow the whistle. Something needs to be done about these refs, because this bs needs to stop. the NFL is suppost to have alot of paridy, the refs are taking it away.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

AGC - I can think of 2 specific calls of which the colts have benefitted.

2006 playoffs (05 reg season) against Pit. Polamalu did intercept ball. Pit still won.

2007 playoffs - Cromartie int TD return called back for hold. The hold could have gone either way, but not clear enough to overturn the call. Regardless the Bolts still won.

The point, colts won neither of these games.

On a different note that you may appreciate. In youtubing to find the pick I found this. this is a one handed cromartie pick against the colts, but watch Merriman's hit on manning. I haven't heard a pats fan bring up this hit as one that should have been called. According to most of you, this qualifies for a penalty. WATCH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRkAdgKb7kc THOUGHTS?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Chris --

You forgot to mention the Colts.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[Quote]There is no doubt the Hochuli call was a bad call during the game, but don't forget - the Chargers still had 3 chances to stop the Broncos and failed to do so. They stopped them on 3rd down and then on 4th they let in a pass play over the middle for a TD. Then, instead of going for the 1 pt PART, the Broncos went for 2 and the win. The same play over the middle was again not stopped by the Chargers. A stop on either of those plays results in a Chargers win. They failed.

The point is while there are bad calls in games, the players still need to execute. While that one single bad call led to the Broncos having the chance the score, the Chargers weren't able to stop them when they should have. Blame the refs all you want. Blame an NFL conspiracy all you want. Somehow, I don't think Goodell was parting the Chargers defense to let those passes through though.[/Quote]

but dont forget those 3 chances would not have existed if Hochuli had simply done his damn job. I will NEVER agree with your lack of logic in this matter Enoch, NEVER.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Jbolt - You are correct, but so is Enoch. However, you are more correct. If this occurred in the 3rd quarter, then Enoch's point would have more relevance, but not at the end of the game. In the NFL and even against the Lions, too many variables exist to expect stops a single designated play.

this happened to the colts this year in their first game against the Jags. 4th down under 2 minutes and garrard throws an incomplete pass to a receiver whose job was to pick the LB, not catch the ball. Even local jax media commented on this. The colts did not stop Jax on the following plays resulting in a FG by Jax to win the game. Colts would have knelt on the ball to win the game.

So Jbolt, I am actually with you and while concerned about the game was pleased to see SD beat Den to get in so that that game became irrelevant.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Seriously though, if you look for biased officiating you will see it.

So many calls are missed or misinterpreted in the course of a game that if you're specifiaclly looking for the refs to blow a call or two you may rest assured that they will. I suspect the biggest reason I believe the officials tend to favor the Colts is because, as a Pats fan, I've seen a lot of the Colts and more often than not, in big games, they kind of suck. Any yet there they are, every year, challenging for the championship. "How can this be?" I ask myself. "Surely there must be some shenanigans involved here."
    Well, the truth is, there are shenanigans involved everywhere. The part-time officials that work NFL games are inept across the board and I have no doubt that there are fans of every team in every city who honestly believe that the league is specifically out to screw their team. The referees are just one more obstacle you have to overcome . . . particularly when you play Indianapolis.