1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chick92. Show chick92's posts

Wayyyyyyy back Wakefield

Lets leave him in long enough to let the game get out of hand

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3007291. Show user_3007291's posts

Wayyyyyyy back Wakefield

Does anyone know his stats in a dome? I remember he used to own the Rays, even in Tampa.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Wayyyyyyy back Wakefield

When the knuckler is on, he can be tough and pitch a lot of innings. But he is bad, he is horrid.

And the problem is that Garza has been tough on the Sox this year, so those two runs from Ortiz needed to stand up longer than 1/2 inning.

Tomorrow is an off day, and in the previous two games the Sox hardly used the bullpen. In the first game, it was 3 guys who aren't key to a tight game, and last night it was Masterson, who could pitch again tonight. So Francona needs to deny his "7 run rule" and take Wakefield out before he gets there. This is an important game.

On the other hand, because Garza and the Rays bullpen are so good, Francona may have already decided that at 5-2 this game is already out of reach after 2 1/2 innings. I mean, only Ellsbury and Ortiz have looked like they can hit Garza. Cash struck out on three pitches. Pedroia, once hot but now not so, hit into a very easy double play.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trottier. Show trottier's posts

Wayyyyyyy back Wakefield

before the game began, I told my grandson, sox will need at least 12 runs to win the game. Wakefield and timlin tonight. so its batting practice for the rays, and another lost oppotunity for the sox, well we are ahead in the wildcard, post season on that, but please no wakefield or timlin, its torture to watch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Wayyyyyyy back Wakefield

OK, Francona has pulled Wakefield after the umpteenth solid hit, including three, count 'em, home runs by Tampa Bay. I doubt that he believes that bringing someone else in will turn things around, but this way he can get some work for the bullpen while keeping faith with the position players.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ND. Show ND's posts

Wayyyyyyy back Wakefield

Guys, need to switch to some other channel or turn the TV off. This is the 2 of the 2 games that Tim is blowing up in the first 2 innings and that Francoma says is he's glad that Tim is pitching. He's either being naive or is comically foolish.
    Raptors are loosing, the Yanks way back and instead of trying to win the series and the AL East he seems content on losing to the Rays and the Wild Card.

God bless the RS and of course Francoma.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyfromBK. Show JohnnyfromBK's posts

Wayyyyyyy back Wakefield

While the wins and losses stat is intriguing, I dont give a crap. This guy does not give us a good chance to win THIS SEASON. He sucked tonight, this is the biggest game of the season so far and now we are likely to be stuck playing LA in a best of 5 and going to LA instead of potentially hosting the White SOx or Twins. THis is a huge game that swings 2 games for the Rays due to the season series going to the Rays with a win tonight. Either way, there arent many good starting options on this team for the 4th or 5th guy. I hope we can come back tonight.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bpoojsna. Show bpoojsna's posts

Wayyyyyyy back Wakefield

wake has been a huge help this year... for most of the year he has the second lowest BAA in the majors!

he just pitched 8 innings of shutout baseball last time out.

in june he had a 2.31 ERA and in august he had a 2.70 ERA
    he ranks 7th in the AL in WHIP (not bad for a #4 starter)
    In june opp. hit .190 off him

Dumb thread

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyfromBK. Show JohnnyfromBK's posts

Wayyyyyyy back Wakefield

You have a well reasoned argument actually bpoo but I just didnt feel good about it going into tonight and that is confirmed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bpoojsna. Show bpoojsna's posts

Wayyyyyyy back Wakefield

i agree i had feeling he wouldnt do so hot tonight against the rays... but for some to suggest to drop wake because he had a bad start is ridiculous and shows their ignorance about baseball

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ND. Show ND's posts

Wayyyyyyy back Wakefield

[Quote]you are a complete idiot. Fuckfield just bites. He lost a critical Sept game to Texas just start before last. His perfomance tonight cost the team the division. He should be thrown on the garbage heap as fast as possible. He has demonstrated that he is completely washed up. Quit watching baseball and stick to something that you can understand, because you obviously have no grasp of what has happened to this team or this so called pitcher that you like so much.[/Quote]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stomackit10452. Show stomackit10452's posts

Wayyyyyyy back Wakefield

Tom Glavine had a similar outing for the Mets in the last game of the season last year and he wasn't even allowed to pick up his stuff from his locker. He didn't last 2 innings and gave up 7 runs. He was never seen wearing a Mets uniform again. Consider that Glavine is a hall of famer. Wakefiel is not. He should never wear this uniform again. This inconsistencies are too much to take. Next yearm WAKEFIELD CAN'T BE ON THIS TEAM. Sign Burnett and bring back Arroyo for the 4 and 5 spots in the rotation.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bpoojsna. Show bpoojsna's posts

Wayyyyyyy back Wakefield

WOW do you not get it .... his record is very deceiving, he should have a pretty good record this year if not for the lack of offense and the BP blowing his leads

he is a great 4th 5th starter that many teams would love to have

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Wayyyyyyy back Wakefield

Garbage!

Wake has 17 quality starts out of his 27 this year. That -- if you can follow the math -- is 27/17 or 1 in every 1.60.

Not many bottom of the rotation guys have that ratio.

It's already been stated Colon will be in the bullpen for the playoffs.

Barring major injury, Wake will be back next year.

Bank on it.

Daf.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaycoach. Show jaycoach's posts

Wayyyyyyy back Wakefield

[Quote] Shakey Wakey is, and has always been a .500 pitcher. That's fine for a team that settles for a .500 yearly record, but for a team that wants to play at least .600 ball every year, Shakey just doesn't quite cut it.
    One night he is great, the next night he stinks. He never knows from one outing to the next how he will do.
    [/Quote]

Wakefield is a .530 lifetime pitcher. He is the #4 starter on the Red Sox staff. Please name one other #4 starter in the major leagues with better performance. I'll wait.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Wayyyyyyy back Wakefield

Wakefield's line was 2.1IP 6H 6ER 3HR
    In game one, Kazmir's line was 3IP 6H 9ER 4HR. Maybe Kazmir needs to be dropped from the rotation, too.

How many people realize Wakefield is still 3rd in the AL in BAA (.230), trailing only Daisuke and Armando Galarraga? It's been harder to get a hit off Wakefield than off Cliff Lee and Roy Halladay.

His 1.21 WHIP is tied for 8th in the AL, and behind only Beckett (1.18) on the Sox staff.

He is tied for 5th in HR's allowed, behind league-leading teammate Paul Byrd (who gave up most of his with Cleveland). However, as baseball genius Steve Stone once said, "don't look at home runs, look at home runs with men on base." 17 of Wakefield's 25 home runs (68%) have been solo shots. Not bad, but not elite. Five others had one man on. And no grand slams. I'll take it. If 25 home runs only account for 36 runs, that's not too bad.

His 108/59 K/BB ratio is really not impressive at all. It's acceptable, I suppose. But I really like to see K's at least double walks.

All in all, while he can have a maddening outing, how many other $4mill 5th starters are better? Answer: none. Renew the option ASAP.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bpoojsna. Show bpoojsna's posts

Wayyyyyyy back Wakefield

[Quote]Here we go again. We score 2 and Ten-Run-Tim gives up 4 the very next inning. I guess we won't to clinching tonight without help.[/Quote]

are you watching the game?? coco should have caught the two balls hit to him and casey should have had that grounder... wake isn't to blame for those runs, coco and the defense is