1. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

WBZ:Varitek Faces Friday Deadline

Wouldn't you like to tap into telephone or e-mail communication these days between Tek and Borass?

Some major "tail between the legs" action here, folks!

And if they do accept this take it or leave it offer, imagine the press all over Tek when he arrives in spring training! Questions like, "How does it feel to have blown 5,000,000 for this year?".

I don't know what's more difficult; losing 5,000,000, having to explain your reasoning to the tough Beantown masses, or refusing comment.

Short of a super comback year and another WS trophy, this has all the makings of "lose lose" for Tek.

Couldn't have happened to a sweeter agent!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LouieDaLipp. Show LouieDaLipp's posts

Varitek will not make the same mistake twice. His only value is with the Red Sox and five million is much too generous and a victory for Jason.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

As I've written elsewhere:

The popular myth is that Jason Varitek would have landed a $10.5 million contract if he had accepted arbitration.

The truth is that Varitek was facing a likely pay cut regardless of whether he accepted arbitration.

A poster over at the SOSH forum touched on Jason Varitek’s current situation and the situation of New York Yankee centerfielder Bernie Williams following the 2005 season.

I'll try to elaborate.

Scott Boras represented Bernie Williams and represents Jason Varitek, venerable veterans revered by many fans. Williams was 36 years old for most of the 2005 season; Varitek was 36 years old for most of the 2008 season. Here are the comparative stats for the two switchhitters in the relevant seasons:

2005 Williams 485 AB, 53 R, 12 HR, 64 RBI, .249 BA, .321 OBP, .688 OPS, 85 OPS+
    2008 Varitek 423 AB, 37 R, 13 HR, 43 RBI, .220 BA, .313 OBP, .672 OPS, 73 OPS+

http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/willibe02.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/v/varitja01.shtml

Williams had won four Gold Gloves for his defensively critical play in centerfield; Varitek has received accolades and one Gold Glove for his defensively critical play behind the plate. Williams was a five-time All Star; Varitek is a three-time All Star.

In 2005, Williams reportedly earned $12 million (plus a $3.5 million buyout of his 2006 option). Varitek reportedly earned $10.4 million in 2008.

Following the 2005 season, Williams was a Type B free agent, which at the time would cost a signing club a first-round draft pick if Williams declined arbitration and signed elsewhere. Following the 2008 season, Varitek was a Type A free agent, which would cost a signing club a first- or second-round draft pick if Varitek declined arbitration and signed elsewhere.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/columnists/askba05nov.html#FAcomp

Following the 2005 season, Williams declined the Yankee’s offer of arbitration (although the Yankees reportedly offered the arbitration with an agreement from Boras that Williams would decline). Following the 2008 season, Varitek declined Boston’s offer of arbitration.

http://misstraceynolan.blogspot.com/2005/12/yanks-offer-bernie-arbitration-just.html

In December 2005, Williams re-signed with the Yankees under a one-year contract for $1.5 million plus $1.5 million in incentives. (By my calculations, Williams earned all incentives in 2006). Varitek reportedly has an offer of one year at $5 million plus a 2010 team option at $5 million or a player option at $3 million.

So, whereas Bernie Williams took a pay cut of at least $9 million, Varitek reportedly is staring at a pay cut in the range of $6.4 million for 2009. The bottom line is that Williams had to earn his $3 million in 2006 while Varitek reportedly has been offered a guaranteed $5 million for 2009 while retaining the option for an additional guaranteed $3 million in 2010.

Bear in mind that Varitek is operating in the current economic downturn that has seen Gregg Zaun sign for $1.5 million for one year and David Ross for $3 million over two seasons. Williams was operating in a healthy market that saw Johnny Damon land a four-year, $52 million contract and Reggie Sanders a two-year, $10 million contract.

By that measure – and if reported offer to Varitek is accurate – Scott Boras has served Varitek well. The goal of negotiations is to reach a resolution that represents a win for each party. The Red Sox front office, Boras and Varitek may achieve that.

Perhaps Varitek declined arbitration because Boras feared the Red Sox would use Bernie Williams as a comp in the unlikely event the case proceeded to an arbitration hearing. The argument might be persuasive with the arbitrator because Boras negotiated the contract for Bernie Williams.

The media and the fans continue their spin that Scott Boras has cost Jason Varitek millions of dollars. That speculative spin is specious.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

hill55,

It may be "specious," but it is fun to believe. However, I agree that if Varitek takes the deal, Boras has represented his client well. The arbitration offer was not guaranteed. If Varitek wanted a guaranteed contract for as long as possible and for as much money as possible, this deal is better than accepting binding arbitration. I just hope Varitek has enough interity and intelligence to take the deal and accept that he is not the premiere catcher Boras "puffed" him up to be. Playing in Boston with a chip on his shoulder will do no one any good.

And that is why the second year options is a great idea on the part of the FO, IMO. If, on the other hand, Tek only wants the guaranteed 5 million and one year, then the Sox should do that too. Tek would certainly be motivated to do well, playing his a$$ off for a big payday. And it buys the Sox another year to develop their young catchers (Kottaras, Wagner and Exposito) and see where they are before giving up some young pitching out of a desperate need that might not seem so deperate by 2010.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkindc. Show dkindc's posts

Not entirely on topic - but worth noting...

Lester said, “If I had to build a team, he (Tek’s) the guy that I would pick to start my team around.”

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Tek has three weeks to prepare to meet the press and go forward.

I'm here and I'm doing what I love to do. I will try to prove to Red Sox Nation last year was a difficult year and in the past.
    He doesn't have to explain to the Nation and least of all the press why he did what he did. He took a gamble and in these difficult financial times the gamble didn't work the way he hoped. End of story--let's play baseball and win another pennant.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bossoxAl. Show bossoxAl's posts

I wonder if the Captain has his alarm set for tomorrow.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[Quote]

As I've written elsewhere:

The popular myth is that Jason Varitek would have landed a $10.5 million contract if he had accepted arbitration.

The truth is that Varitek was facing a likely pay cut regardless of whether he accepted arbitration.

---------------------------------snip---------------------

By that measure – and if reported offer to Varitek is accurate – Scott Boras has served Varitek well. The goal of negotiations is to reach a resolution that represents a win for each party. The Red Sox front office, Boras and Varitek may achieve that.

Perhaps Varitek declined arbitration because Boras feared the Red Sox would use Bernie Williams as a comp in the unlikely event the case proceeded to an arbitration hearing. The argument might be persuasive with the arbitrator because Boras negotiated the contract for Bernie Williams.

The media and the fans continue their spin that Scott Boras has cost Jason Varitek millions of dollars. That speculative spin is specious.

[/Quote]

Hill - the parts of your post I "snipped" out were in my opinion facts that are unarguable e.g. stats, ages, salaries. But I think comparing a CF to a C's offensive stats is meaningless....there are obviously only 15-25 guys that can play catcher in MLB to a high standard in any given year which attaches a premium to those that can....even if they are clearly fading....