1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dskjold. Show dskjold's posts

Without Prejudice Jason Bay is a 6 Tools Player

Theo Chicks???

How about ManLove!

Manny is unsigned for one reason. He's a bum, and everybody in baseball knows it.

I agree that his numbers should put him in the HOF. And Pete Rose should be in the HOF. But Pete won't and Manny shouldn't.

Why?

Because he tanked games...just as surely as the Black Sox tanked games, Manny tanked games.

The baseball world knows it, and so do the baseball writers.

I can't say he won't be in the HOF, but he should get the same treatment as Pete Rose. Rose at least didn't tank games.

[Quote]Being optimistic about Jason Bay is one thing. Trying to cover the mistake that Theo made (running Manny out of town) that cost the Red Sox the 2008 world title and will cost them 09 and 10 is another, but I've never seen that much pink lipstick in one room Theo Chicks!

I'm with HR derby on this one. Not only do the stats not support that outrageous claim, but if Manny never plays another second of MLB, he's in the HOF on the 1st ballot.

1st in career postseason HR's = Manny Ramirez
    2nd in career posteason RBIs = Manny Ramirez
    Comfortably in the 500 HR club = Manny Ramirez

Just because Jason Bay didn't come to Boston and become Theo's next Eric Gagne doesn't put the guy above the 2004 World Series MVP. For crying out loud, can't you break the dress code and not wear pink????[/Quote]

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxNationGermany. Show SoxNationGermany's posts

funny thing, most pro-Bay posters are anti-Manny, venomously anti-Manny. yet I have yet to read any anti-Bay sentiment from pro-Manny posters.

Bay is a great baseball player. he is a keeper by all means as he is currently our best hitting outfielder. his fielding ratings, according to BP, are very suspect and possibly even below Manny's, we will see how well he learns the monster.

That all said, the trade of Manny to get Bay was and is a bust on all levels. Jason Bay will never impact a game, much less a series or season, the way Manny has and continues to do. It just will never be, Manny was already the monster he is now at Bay's age. 30 year old baseball players do not morph into HOF calibre by being traded to the Red Sox. Bay will NEVER have the impact in Boston that Manny did. Just the facts Jack.

Now, get Manny back in a Sox uniform, move Bay (who like I said is a keeper) to CF and trade Ellsbury for a catcher who can hit.

Problem solved and then you would have a top to bottom batting order with plate discipline and either OBP or SLG or a great combo of the two, (in my scenario we have Lowrie playing SS).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oscars. Show oscars's posts

[Quote]funny thing, most pro-Bay posters are anti-Manny, venomously anti-Manny. yet I have yet to read any anti-Bay sentiment from pro-Manny posters.

Bay is a great baseball player. he is a keeper by all means as he is currently our best hitting outfielder. his fielding ratings, according to BP, are very suspect and possibly even below Manny's, we will see how well he learns the monster.

That all said, the trade of Manny to get Bay was and is a bust on all levels. Jason Bay will never impact a game, much less a series or season, the way Manny has and continues to do. It just will never be, Manny was already the monster he is now at Bay's age. 30 year old baseball players do not morph into HOF calibre by being traded to the Red Sox. Bay will NEVER have the impact in Boston that Manny did. Just the facts Jack.

Now, get Manny back in a Sox uniform, move Bay (who like I said is a keeper) to CF and trade Ellsbury for a catcher who can hit.

Problem solved and then you would have a top to bottom batting order with plate discipline and either OBP or SLG or a great combo of the two, (in my scenario we have Lowrie playing SS).[/Quote]

Surely you don't want a "suspect" outfielder playing CF?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

If Bay numbers make him "6-tool", "MVP", " better than Manny" material, then maybe Nady should get a statue in Central Park for having the same season as Bay in '08 and also knowing how to field.

And please don't give me Bay's career numbers--he's one year removed from .247, 21. and 84. I even think Melky can do that.

I happen to like Bay, but the guy being described in these posts is definitely someone else.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Sundry, in no particular order-

1-I was less impressed with Bay's fielding than I thought I'd be.

2-The reference to the HOF are meaningless. Yaz is already in the HOF, but his best years are behind him. 2009 has to be based on 2009, and not what Manny did in 1995-2005.

3-No comparison is complete without reference to the salary. The difference in salary allows us to sign Smoltz and Penny.

4-No comparison is complete without reference to health. A player that plays in 20% more games is 20% more valuable, all other things being equal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Bay has been a Red Sox for two months, Iam not ready to kneel and praise God for his arrival here.

He may indeed be a nice kid, a good ballplayer and a great addition to the team. Time will tell if he is worthy of our ultimate praise.

Somehow , I see him more as a Dwight Evans or Mike Greenwell type. Well liked, well rounded, but not a superstar that will lead a team to victory and be the equalizer in big postseason games.

No, he will not likely be a David Ortiz or a Manny Ramirez, players who lack many of the skills ( baserunning, basestealing, fielding , throwing , etc.) that we talk about when we discuss 3,4,or 5 tool players.

But damn! When a big game is on the line and you need a huge HR or RBI , I want a guy like Ortiz, Yastrzemski,or Ramirez at the plate , not Jason Bay.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleRhodyJack. Show LittleRhodyJack's posts

Manny's gone.Will I miss him,yes.Will he miss Boston,no.Now we have Jason Bay.He comes to play for Boston,not himself..His numbers will definately mature this year.Seeing better pitches for sure........But, for me,it's all about energy,good energy.With a Jason in the fold,you don't have to worry 'bout what kind of game he's going to have.He'll bring his best every day.With a lot of POP,too!.....Why do you think Manny has no job.Because he lacks the one true ingredient.......CHARACTER,GOOD CHARACTER.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

I am pro-Manny. However, I have enough on the ball to realize that it was time to move on. I put my Manny jersey under glass and hung it in my sports room. Jason Bay is NOT Manny. I get it. However, he came in with alot of pressure and came through in a big way. I think the guy is perfect for the Sox. I wish Manny well but I'm glad Bay is in Boston. It is easy to forget how good Bay was in 2008. He was in the middle of much that went right in Beantown.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from brarrell. Show brarrell's posts

[Quote]Being optimistic about Jason Bay is one thing. Trying to cover the mistake that Theo made (running Manny out of town) that cost the Red Sox the 2008 world title and will cost them 09 and 10 is another, but I've never seen that much pink lipstick in one room Theo Chicks!

Just because Jason Bay didn't come to Boston and become Theo's next Eric Gagne doesn't put the guy above the 2004 World Series MVP. For crying out loud, can't you break the dress code and not wear pink????[/Quote]

I thought you said you would stop with the name-calling and insults. I guess it's all you can do, b/c your arguments often don't carry much weight. Just because you write a lot at a time, doesn't mean you say very much. The frequency of your same arguments, written repeatedly and with slightly different verbage, also doesn't make them correct.

BTW, I am NOT a pink hat nor a Theo chick, which seems to be a common response to anyone who shows some positive response to what the Sox do or have the gall to disagree with your posts. I need no other label than "Red Sox Fan". You folks with your terms to question one's "manliness" are simply pathetic and childish. I am impressed when posts are simply discussing the topics, and not slamming someone's personal makeup.

Go Red Sox!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

But damn! When a big game is on the line and you need a huge HR or RBI , I want a guy like Ortiz, Yastrzemski,or Ramirez at the plate , not Jason Bay.

Did you mean the like the Big Game against NY with the tying run on third and Manny Looking at 3 straight pitches ?? Don't get me wrong, I loved Manny in a Red Sox Uniform !! I'm sorry that it had to come down to Manny making an A$$ out himself to get a new contract, still hard to believe all that went down the way it did but, Bay slid right into a Lineup that was in a pennant race, performed well under pressure against pitchers he seldom seen, and has had a very good career till now !! I expect good things from Bay this season and maybe my expectations for him are a little high but he is no Nady either !! To hear MfyMfy talk you think Nady could even hold Bay's Jock !! One half way decent year from Nady is Bays bad year !! Nady is so fantastic that the Yankmes with their bottomless pit of a bank account are looking to move him because he is arbtration eligible ?? Yea, that's the reason !! LOL... Bay may not end up in the hall of Fame but, He is No Nady either !!

GO SOX !! AMERICA'S TEAM OF THE NEW MILLENIUM !!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[Quote]I am pro-Manny. However, I have enough on the ball to realize that it was time to move on. I put my Manny jersey under glass and hung it in my sports room. Jason Bay is NOT Manny. I get it. However, he came in with alot of pressure and came through in a big way. I think the guy is perfect for the Sox. I wish Manny well but I'm glad Bay is in Boston. It is easy to forget how good Bay was in 2008. He was in the middle of much that went right in Beantown.[/Quote]

Exactly !!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiley-beni-2817. Show smiley-beni-2817's posts

LittleRhodyJack 5110848940984091670
    Comments: 128

1/25/2009 10:55:28 AM

Manny's gone.Will I miss him,yes.Will he miss Boston,no.Now we have Jason Bay.He comes to play for Boston,not himself..His numbers will definately mature this year.Seeing better pitches for sure........But, for me,it's all about energy,good energy.With a Jason in the fold,you don't have to worry 'bout what kind of game he's going to have.He'll bring his best every day.With a lot of POP,too!.....Why do you think Manny has no job.Because he lacks the one true ingredient.......CHARACTER,GOOD CHARACTER

Mets: Manny was never really a consideration...

Angels not interested in Manny...

Giants: We have not made an offer to Manny...

Dodgers are not waiting for Manny...

Phillies aren't interested in acquiring Manny...

Nationals Not Interested In Manny Ramirez...

Rangers not interested in Ramirez...

Toronto Blue Jays Downplay Manny Ramirez.

B.Cashman: Manny is not going to the Yanks either

Manny chicks: We can´t believe it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

The thing the anti-theo folks miss is we loss Manny was much better than Bay in his prime, at this point in their careers they are even maybe slight Manny. However with the savings Sox got in letting Manny go; the Sox have sewn up Pedroia,Youk, probably Bay not to mention offer big cash to Papelbon. Manny is a better player but the Sox are a better team. Truck day in 22 days.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiley-beni-2817. Show smiley-beni-2817's posts

Encinitas-2 530421
    Comments: 367

1/25/2009 11:44:09 AM
    Again I ask the Manny Zombies: If it is so obvious Manny is critical to any team's chance to win a WS, why has NOBODY signed him yet? The answer is obvious to all but the Zombies: his incrementally better (but declining) offensive production is not worth the poor defense, poor baserunning, and poor attitude at an inflated price tag. He is not coming back. Theo made the best of a situation made bad by Manny and his parasitical agent.
    Manny chicks: If it is so obvious Manny is critical to any team's chance to win a WS, why has NOBODY signed him yet? Theo, Theo and Theo.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[Quote]But damn! When a big game is on the line and you need a huge HR or RBI , I want a guy like Ortiz, Yastrzemski,or Ramirez at the plate , not Jason Bay.

Did you mean the like the Big Game against NY with the tying run on third and Manny Looking at 3 straight pitches ?? Don't get me wrong, I loved Manny in a Red Sox Uniform !!

No, I am talking about the Manny Ramirez that has more post season HR's than any other player.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[Quote]

I thought you said you would stop with the name-calling and insults. I guess it's all you can do, b/c your arguments often don't carry much weight. Just because you write a lot at a time, doesn't mean you say very much. The frequency of your same arguments, written repeatedly and with slightly different verbage, also doesn't make them correct.

BTW, I am NOT a pink hat nor a Theo chick, which seems to be a common response to anyone who shows some positive response to what the Sox do or have the gall to disagree with your posts. I need no other label than "Red Sox Fan". You folks with your terms to question one's "manliness" are simply pathetic and childish. I am impressed when posts are simply discussing the topics, and not slamming someone's personal makeup.

Go Red Sox![/Quote]

Welcome to the BDC board, home of a selected few Manny jock lickers, who try to sell:
    • that their viewpoints are more appropriate by listing the names of those drinking the Manny (Jim Jones) kool-aid, whereas if I tried to do the same it would likely take me most of the day to try and list all the names of sox fans who disagree with them.
    • by claiming how things would have turned out differently in 2008 and the Sox would have won the WS again if Manny stayed, not as conjecture or likelihood, but as FACT -- which, of course, anyone with an iota of common sense knows its conjecture. Same goes for the pinheads who say we would have won if Santana was here too.
    • that the Sox FO forced Manny out of town by not abiding to his childish temper tantrums and giving him whatever he wants, when he wanted it. This dirtbag, after pulling his quitting act in Boston goes to LA and becomes the model baseball player and leads the Dodgers to the postseason. Why?? FOR A NEW CONTRACT, and ONLY for that reason. How's that working out for you right now Manny?
    • by claiming everyone who disagrees with their Manny love affair as Theo chicks or pink hats when the reality is they are the ones who are taking the individual stance by living inside of Manny's jock.
    • by distorting facts, over and over again to state their positions, like trying to relate Theo's gorilla suit incident (when he was NOT UNDER CONTRACT to Manny's quitting on his team and the fans WHILE STILL UNDER CONTRACT.
    Now getting back on topic regarding Jason Bay being a 6-tool player, I, for one, don't actually buy that position either. Bay is just a solid major league player, that is not the pure hitter that the quitter is, but was a very servicable replacement who will always give 100% effort, EVERY GAME, not like the guy who left and only played when he felt like it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

To hear MfyMfy talk you think Nady could even hold Bay's Jock !! One half way decent year from Nady is Bays bad year !! Nady is so fantastic that the Yankmes with their bottomless pit of a bank account are looking to move him because he is arbtration eligible ?? Yea, that's the reason !! LOL... Bay may not end up in the hall of Fame but, He is No Nady either
    ALaGatorAL--I'll try this once. The comparison is made because Nady and Bay are the same serviceable, pedestrian guys that many teams have, not the 2nd coming of Manny. (And FYI, their numbers were virtually identical in 2008, and you may want to take a look at 2007)

Nady is a guy the Yankees trade, not build monuments for. Bay's bad year, BTW, is one year ago--.247, 21, 84--and even poor Pirate fans thought he stunk. Even funnier, he was considerably below Nick Swisher at .262, 22, and 68 and way below Nady at .278, 20, and 72. I think you're right. He's no Nady.

I guess if you're signing Baldelli, Varitek, and Kotsay, Bay is the Babe by comparison.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiley-beni-2817. Show smiley-beni-2817's posts

For God´s sake how old is Manny? 27, 28,
    29 or 37.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[Quote]To hear MfyMfy talk you think Nady could even hold Bay's Jock !! One half way decent year from Nady is Bays bad year !! Nady is so fantastic that the Yankmes with their bottomless pit of a bank account are looking to move him because he is arbtration eligible ?? Yea, that's the reason !! LOL... Bay may not end up in the hall of Fame but, He is No Nady either
    ALaGatorAL--I'll try this once. The comparison is made because Nady and Bay are the same serviceable, pedestrian guys that many teams have, not the 2nd coming of Manny. (And FYI, their numbers were virtually identical in 2008.)

Nady is a guy the Yankees trade, not build monuments for. Bay's bad year, BTW, is one year ago--.247, 21, 84--and even poor Pirate fans thought he stunk. . I guess if you're signing Baldelli, Varitek, and Kotsay, Bay is the Babe by comparison.
    [/Quote]

For a "seviceable pedestrian type player" Bay sure seems to have done pretty well for himself in his 4 year career with Pittsburgh... Let's see. a Rookie of the Year in 04, MVP Votes in 05 & 06, AS Team in 05 & 06, one off year in 07 (which is kinda the same Year Manny had in 07) then back to form last year !! I don't seem to see anything like that in Nady's time in the league. IN Bay's first 4 Seasons in the league while playing for a terrible Pittsburg team he hit 114 Hrs and drove in 376, bad year included. In Manny's first 4 years with a terrific Cleveland Indians team he hit 107 Hrs and drove in 351 runs. Since the bulk of Manny's HOF fame career comes after the first 4 seasons maybe, just maybe we will have to wait and see exactly what kind of Player Bay will turn out to be. He may never be like Manny but I'm pretty sure he will not be a "Serviceable Pedestrian Player" for which Nady is probably the poster child for, which many of your fellow NYer's, Mets and Yankme Fans alike, were drooling all over themselves for, and will now will be yesterdays news when the Yankmes sign Manny !! Now I hope that clarifies it for you !!

P.S. I may be wrong but didn't Baldelli, Varitek, and even Kotsay play n the American League Championship Game last Year ??

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamaicaPlain67. Show JamaicaPlain67's posts

Excellent post Alligator.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

ALaGatorAL--I'll try this once. The comparison is made because Nady and Bay are the same serviceable, pedestrian guys that many teams have, not the 2nd coming of Manny. (And FYI, their numbers were virtually identical in 2008, and you may want to take a look at 2007)

Nady is a guy the Yankees trade, not build monuments for. Bay's bad year, BTW, is one year ago--.247, 21, 84--and even poor Pirate fans thought he stunk. Even funnier, he was considerably below Nick Swisher at .262, 22, and 68 and way below Nady at .278, 20, and 72. I think you're right. He's no Nady.

I guess if you're signing Baldelli, Varitek, and Kotsay, Bay is the Babe by comparison

Nady has outhit Bay by 20 and 30 points each of the last two years, has put up the same power numbers, and can actually field and throw. Yanks just signed him for a single year at $6M. You're falling all over yourself to canonize your guy, compare him to Manny, and give him a long term at $10M plus a year. Whatever floats your boat. And by the way, Jason's rookie 2004 was a long time ago.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[Quote]Excellent post Alligator.[/Quote]

Thank You Jamaica !!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

ALaGator and Jamaica--
    I'll actually try once more because the see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil image is scary.

Nady has outhit Bay by 20 and 30 points each of the last two years, has put up the same power numbers, and can actually field and throw. Yanks just signed him for a single year at $6M. You're falling all over yourself to canonize your guy, compare him to Manny, and give him a long term at $10M plus a year. Whatever floats your boat. And by the way, Jason's rookie 2004 was a long time ago.