What is your hangover cure?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB52. Show JB52's posts

lots of excellent suggestions here...wish I knew all of them 20-25 years ago..

but the best one comes from "chil" who said

"the only cure is to not drink"...brilliant!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AguaCaliente. Show AguaCaliente's posts

I had to cease drinking alcohol some time ago, for medical reasons. Seriously, it was like stop or really mess up my liver. However, in the years preceding that unfortunate edict, the only thing I ever found that really worked was vomiting up whatever was left in there. All the other stuff that was recommended never did much. It is said, for example, that if you give coffee to a drunk, you wind up with a wide-awake drunk.

That said, the fastest I ever sobered up without any hangover at all was a dozen or so years ago. I'd just finished watching a football game with some friends, at my house. Mass quantities were consumed. It was a cold, icy night. Game ended, friends left.
    "Going out for a walk," I told my wife.
    She wanted to know if she should come with me.
    "Nah, I'm fine."

And I was fine, until I slipped on some black ice and broke my arm. Straightened me right up. Walked back up the hill to my house, pretty much carrying my broken left arm in my right arm. Every step hurt, and by the time I got there, it was like I hadn't so much as one drink that night. Thus, I conclude that breaking your arm is a possible cure for a hangover!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from legalfiction. Show legalfiction's posts

bloody mary - the spicier the better

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from alberto6. Show alberto6's posts

Wow...all these food recommendations.

Then I can be an alcoholic and a fat a$$!

Alcohol is unnecessary and inconsequential. Like those who use it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from therealpearl. Show therealpearl's posts

Calcium, calcium, calcium.....

Take 2 calcium pills and a multivitamin with 2 large glasses of water before bed. A few hours later, you'll need to wake up and pee from all the water, you take 1 or 2 calcium pills and 1 glass of water. Go back to bed. When you wake up, eat something (anything) immediately. Take one or two aspirin if needed.

The key is drinking enough water just before you go to bed, so you need to wake up in a few hours. That middle of the night calcium/water intake makes a huge difference.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 175peanuts. Show 175peanuts's posts

a tablespoon of peanut butter does it!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mells. Show mells's posts

Not drinking is the best way to prevent a hangover!

This is true!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from woodenhippo. Show woodenhippo's posts

"Wow - any other ethnic holidays prompt you to publish hangover cures? Don't think I've seen this type of article connected to any other group. Some of us see St. Patrick's as a day to celebrate our history and our family. No other group would tolerate this type of slap, but the Irish have grown used to it."

erin1916, then how do you explain this Boston.com headline?

Drunken mahem mars St. Patrick's Day in Ireland

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThrillaH19. Show ThrillaH19's posts

A things can cover 90% of what ails you the next morning. Scientific fact not cultural folklore. Take these before you pass out the night before and you won't have a hang over the next day. Take them when you have a hang over and they will shorten it.

Postasium, Magnisium - You can buy these as pills at most food/drug stores.

Sodium Chloride (Table Salt) - Only if you didn't eat a ton of salty food when you were drinking

You can get the 3 electralites above from things like Pedialyte, but you'll need to drink a lot to ensure the proper quanities

B-Viatamin suplement (mostly need B-12, which is deplessnissed when drinking, but B6 and C can have a small benifit too)

and last but certainly not least water.

ONE BIG DON'T - People seem to think excedrine or tylenol is great, but please stay away from it at all costs. Acetaminophen causes liver damage and is really, really bad for you when your detoxing and dehydrated already.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from championsbaby. Show championsbaby's posts

Ah ha, the old drink water before bedtime trick. Ever notice you are so sloshed you can't drink the water, or you forget. Waking up at four in the morning, parched with the thirst, reaching out for the water on the bedside, remembering you left it in the kitchen and then kicking it over as you get up out of bed.

Taking a pill the following morning that your liver has to work on is increasing the workload for the liver and not a cure. As for the do-gooders who think a) no one should drink and b)all drinkers are automatically alcoholics....go annoy someone else on an another forum. This is about the cure for the hangoer which is caused by drinking. It is not about the drinking part, that's said and done.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scotty Boston. Show Scotty Boston's posts

With years of experience, I have learned...

1. Hydrate while drinking (a drink, a glass of water, a drink). Pacing is key.
    2. If you ignored #1, sleeping 10 hours works well (but you lose the entire morning the next day).
    3. If you can stand it, go swimming in a pool (I used to do this and I always felt way better after doing laps for an hour).
    4. If you didn't hydrate, couldn't sleep in, or don't have a pool, McDonald's is the next best bet - the fat, salt, and calories work wonders - GREASE IS THE WORD - IS THE WORD - THAT YOU HEARD...(or a grilled cheese sandwich and Campbell's tomato soup).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from msbean. Show msbean's posts

I agree with the previous poster...
    It's in pretty poor taste that the Globe would think it's appropriate to ask for hang over cures the day after St. Patrick's Day. Why not New Year's Day?

Does the Globe have other hang ups associated with ethnic groups or just the Irish?

I seriously hope the Globe has an apology coming, this is irresponsible and disgusting journalism.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RealityChic. Show RealityChic's posts

McDonalds! And if it's really bad - Pedialyte.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cmschiavo. Show cmschiavo's posts

Pickle juice!!! Before you go to bed and when you get up if necessary.

And whoever said Bloody Mary's is right too...if all else fails, you gotta get back up on that horse.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RealityChic. Show RealityChic's posts

ThrillaH19 makes an extremely good point! DO NOT TAKE TYLENOL or Acetaminophen. It's a leading cause of liver failure and if Johnson & Johnson didn't have such powerful lobbyists - it would not be available over the counter.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Digglesworth. Show Digglesworth's posts

My friend is an EMT, and after a hard night drinking, he hooks us all up to an IV.
    Within 30 minutes... no more hangover or headaches!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cmschiavo. Show cmschiavo's posts

I just read some posts, man people can take ANYTHING and turn it into something. Must be the same people that would rather use oil than wind.

Honestly, if any of you people responding that it's irresponsible for the globe to publish this story TODAY, rather than any OTHER day, have been outside your own little bubble world to see what the bars, restuarants and taverns look like starting at 8am on St Patrick's Day, than I suggest you do so before giving a smack down to the Globe or anyone else. It's not the Globe's fault people find any reason to celebrate!!

GET OVER YOURSELF or move to another place where you will find perfect people like yourself who don't eat, drink or be merry like the rest of us! DAMN.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from squeaks1. Show squeaks1's posts

To Alberto06:

"Alcohol is unnecessary and inconsequential" like those who use it."

I little rude don't you think? There are plenty of people who have an occasional drink and are very responsible people. Guess you have a hught chip on your shoulder about something.

Chill will ya!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3019686. Show user_3019686's posts

ham egg and cheese on a croissant from dunks, purple vitamin water or gatorade, and 3 advil.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from woodytele. Show woodytele's posts

Drink as much as you want, then before bed drink a bottle of gatorade. It rehydrates much better than H20.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from woodytele. Show woodytele's posts

Drink a better beer like Guinness, has less alchohol than most beers (Budlite, etc..) and has better ingredients, which will reduce your effects of hangover. The Budweiser's of the world have all kinds of extracts, rice, etc which is harder on your body. Then pound a Gatorade, Vitamin water, etc before bed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andre3thouzand. Show andre3thouzand's posts

[Quote]Moderation. What is it with Boston and excuses for public drunkeness? Yesterday, First Night, Marathon day. I don't get it.

By the way, St. Patrick's day in Ireland is a religous holiday. People don't go out and get wasted. Just another ritual America has managed to bastardize into excess.[/Quote]

Wrong.
    http://www.boston.com/news/world/europe/articles/2009/03/18/drunken_mayhem_mars_st_patricks_in_ireland/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mellyjo. Show Mellyjo's posts

rr2035, I think it's McDonald's straws that make their fountain drinks so awesome! If they marketed those, I would buy those straws by the boxful!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ceclark. Show ceclark's posts

Anis Tea

Puerto Rico---

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slummervillain. Show slummervillain's posts

My 27 years of bartending (and a few more on the other side) prove this is the one that works:

2-3 fresh tomatoes cut into bitesize pieces and eaten slowly over an hour or so.

The enzymes in the tomatoes eat up the toxins in your stomach that make you feel queasy.

The natural sugars restore you blood sugar level to normal. Low blood suger causes the headache.

Do this and in about 2 hours, it'll be like it never happened!

Drink up and enjoy!