Best Buffalo wings in New England?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from arpeggiator. Show arpeggiator's posts

Re: Best Buffalo wings in New England?

In Response to Best Buffalo wings in New England?:
    [QUOTE]Real Buffalo wings are not baked or breaded. They are deep fried, then tossed in a mixture of Frank's Hot sauce and butter. Served with celery and blue cheese dressing and an ice cold LaBatt's. JetBlue has $49 flights to Buffalo - Go to Duff's or the Anchor Bar. Now I'm hungry.......
    Posted by exginy[/QUOTE]

Exactly (except I hate bad beer).

Duffs are neck and neck with Gabriel's gate (ask for them well done).  I would give a slight nod to Gabriel's.  Try them next time you're there.  Nothing in Boston comes close as far as I've found.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmdsg. Show dmdsg's posts

[QUOTE]Coop De Ville in Oak Bluffs, MA (on Martha's Vineyard) definitely has some of the best wings in New England. If you are ever on the island, check it out!
    Posted by BOO241090[/QUOTE]

I can second Coop de Ville has good wings, just don't go in there with kids or expect good service. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Melsau2006. Show Melsau2006's posts

How is it that Sparky's in Haverhill didn't make your list?
    http://www.sparkyswings.biz/
    Absolutely the best around. I drive 45 minutes each way to get my buffalo fix!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from robem575. Show robem575's posts

The Fat Cat in Quincy MA..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilMeagher. Show PhilMeagher's posts

[QUOTE]Wings over Amherst(Hangar) in Amherst, MA. Best wings ever!!!
    Posted by jnukin[/QUOTE]

Seriously now.  Best wings I've ever, ever had.  Multiply that by their boneless and their honey BBQ.  Anybody who doesn't list this in their best-of list simply has never tried them.  This does not include the other franchise locations.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Taiwan-On. Show Taiwan-On's posts

I was shocked and delighted that Wendell's made the list.  Definitely the best Buffalo wings I have ever had.  And they serve them inside of a clam-like set of two small salad bowls so that you can re-coat the wings as required.  I like my chicken skin to be crispy and not -ugh- rubbery.  Wish I was there right now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MariosKitchen. Show MariosKitchen's posts

Make your own BBQ WIngs!

http://marioskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/05/honey-bbq-chicken-wings.html

Honey BBQ Chicken Wings

When I first started making my own chicken wings about 6 or 7 years ago, the recipe was nothing special. I’d buy one of those big economy packages of whole chicken wings and a bottle of Kikkoman’s Roasted Garlic Teriyaki sauce, line a pan with aluminum foil, not even using a non-stick spray, lay out the wings, pour on the bottle of sauce, and throw them in the oven for an hour at 350. They were pretty good, and I think I may have even impressed a few dates. I knew, however, that there was something I was missing. I mean, the wings place down the street from my apartment had like 22 flavors of wings! How did they do that? The difference was all in the sauce. Certainly, I had a lot to learn.

Things have changed over the years. Without going into too much detail, because I could really go on with this one and I don’t want to bore you with stories of unsuccessful chicken wing experiments, I am going to share with you my favorite recipe to date. Though it is a little more complicated than throwing a bottle of your favorite sauce on them, it really is worth the little bit of effort you are going to add.

Nowadays, I will only buy the whole-wing economy package if they are sold out of the smaller packages of halved whole-wing pieces called “drummettes and wing portions.” These are pretty convenient, as in the earlier years, I would halve the whole-wing pieces myself, which not only takes time, but unless you have a dangerously sharp knife to halve them with, it can be a big pain in the you-know-what. I had the knife, but I didn’t have the patience!

Perdue packages them, and most supermarkets will generally stock both Perdue and a generic brand. Our generic brand is White Gem, and they are just a little bit smaller and a more traditional “chicken wing” size than the Perdue. Personally, we are Perdue loyalists. We even started a Perdue Facebook Fan Page!

For this recipe I decided to use 2 packages of the White Gem brand drummettes and wing portions, just to see how they compare.

Pre-heat your oven to 350. Next, line a 12 x 18” pan with aluminum foil and give a good spray with Pam or non-stick spray of your choice.

Lay the wings out evenly in the pan, avoiding contact with the sides of the pan and other wings as much as possible. There will be some contact and that’s fine. You just want to give them ample room to cook all around and brown evenly.

When the oven hits 350, place them on the middle rack and set your timer for one hour. Now we can get to work on the sauce.

I have tried making so many different sauces over the years. I even remember getting so discouraged at one point that I was convinced I was doomed to using bottled sauces for eternity! After all, it’s tricky science, getting all those flavors to come together. Sometimes I would use too much garlic powder, other times not enough, or I would use so much spice in general that I would have an upset stomach for two days. Fortunately for you, my failed experiments are going to be your pleasure. So here we go. This is my very own honey BBQ sauce recipe and you are more than welcome to tweak it any way you want to suit your own tastes, or if you try it and decide that you can do it better. I encourage you. All I ask is that you post your thoughts on the blog so that maybe we can all learn a thing or two.

Get yourself a small mixing bowl, or like I do, get a large Pyrex measuring cup so you can measure out as you go and mix it all up in that.

1/2 C. honey
    1/2 C. ketchup
    1 tsp kosher salt
    2 TBLSP tomato paste
    1/2 tsp Old Bay
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
    2 TBLSP fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice

If you are in the mood for a spicier version, you can also try this recipe:

1/2 C. honey
    1/2 C. ketchup
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    2 TBLSP Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce
    2 TBLSP fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice

The secret ingredient in this version is the Sriracha sauce. You've probably seen big bottles of the stuff in your favorite Asian restaurant. Here is a picture so you know what I am talking about.

Ah yes, you remember now.

Mix all ingredients and cover your mixing cup with aluminum foil. When the wings have about 10 minutes left, start heating the sauce in a small sauce pan.

While it heats, make sure to continually stir it as there are a lot of natural sugars in there due to the honey and you do not want this to burn. Let the sauce come just to a simmer, or what I like to call the “blop” stage. As it begins to gently boil, you will get thick, globby bubbles that actually make the sound “blop!” as they rise and fall. After you start getting those bubbles, turn it off and cover until the wings timer sounds.

Take out the wings and place them on your stove top. They should be a nice crispy, golden brown.

Time to apply the sauce.

Using a good brush or spoon, (we use the Amco Stainless Steel 2-in-1 Rotating Brushwww.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=mariskit-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B002D3FH0A" border="0" alt="" width="1" height="1" />) you are going to want to get the sauce on them as quickly and as neatly as possible (as it is horribly sticky) and you don’t want them to cool down too much. Once the wings are completely covered, place them back in your oven for a good 7 to 10 minutes. When you take them out after the allotted time, they should have a nice "glazed" look, with some browning in spots.

I served these up with blue cheese dressing and I was in heaven. I added an extra burst of fresh squeezed lemon juice, which really brought out the flavors.

In conclusion, however you decide to make these, remember: there are a lot of combinations, so try something different if you like. No two recipes are the same and personal preference varies wildly. The key factor is to experiment to find the tastes that suit you best.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kix. Show kix's posts

Charlie Horse in Kingston!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jonny-99. Show Jonny-99's posts

[QUOTE]Great choice on Buffs. There is nothing better. Hands down the best! Although where is Wing It (Allston)?, they used to be pretty good.
    Posted by jgriffinfitz[/QUOTE]

I'm with you! Buffs is tops in my book especially when paired with a bowl of their chili. That's a lunch that ROCKS!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobGayle. Show BobGayle's posts

The Olde Forge in Lanesborough, Ma. (The Berkshires) has terrific wings. Big and  meaty, along with an incredible selection of beer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulinNH17. Show PaulinNH17's posts

Wings your Way in Hampton and Durham NH..............best wings, best variety...........

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from weasel316. Show weasel316's posts

[QUOTE]Wings over Amherst(Hangar) in Amherst, MA. Best wings ever!!!
    Posted by jnukin[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from weasel316. Show weasel316's posts

Correct! you people who read the globe need to come out to Western Mass once in awhile! Better try Wings over Brookline, It's a franchise of the Hanger Wings over Amherst. wings are so good, there are about 10 stores throughout NE

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jasontis. Show Jasontis's posts

On Martha's Vineyard a couple of weeks ago I had the Three Mile Island wings at Coup de Ville. Hottest wings I've ever tasted ("Suicide" is a lesser level of heat there), but I finished them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pitahya. Show Pitahya's posts

Rafters in Amherst, MA
    JD's in Watertown, MA

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3975922. Show user_3975922's posts

[QUOTE]One of the best places by far in New England is The Old Forge in Western Mass. I am stunned Sunset is on there. I cannot say its the best because I haven't eaten at most of these places but, they are the greatest Wings I have ever had. And I have had a lot of wings in my time, if you know what I mean.
    Posted by jgshort[/QUOTE]

COMPLETELY AGREE!! I am from WMASS and I have yet to find any wings that can compare and I have had wings from Buffs. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4033214. Show user_4033214's posts

Sliders in CT. 4 Locations and hands down the best wings I have ever had!! Buff's are good but not the best in New England. Sliders blows them out of the water. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from icculus-. Show icculus-'s posts

[QUOTE]DJ's Wings in Hyannis are the best!
    Posted by ToddRules[/QUOTE]

I agree. One can not compile a list of great wings without including DJ's Wings in Hyannis, MA. Best wings EVER!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from studpuppy75. Show studpuppy75's posts

Anyone remember the now defunct (and sorely missed) Division Sixteen on Boylston Street? They had the best wings ever!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jchase42. Show jchase42's posts

Bingas Wingas in Portland ME and Yarmouth Me

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notaglobefan. Show Notaglobefan's posts

[QUOTE]Wings express on Moody street in waltham- their hottest version is a killer
    Posted by capekodder[/QUOTE]

I whole heartedly agree.  Moved to RI and miss Wings Express terribly.  Found a place in N. Smithfield which used the exact same recipe and they went and closed on us. Does anyone know of a good place in Northern RI with exceptional wings?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTruthlessHero. Show TheTruthlessHero's posts

Amusing that they just re-'published' a list from 2009.  Look at the first comments... they are all from two years ago.

Not only is Globe too lazy to come up with an original list but they can't even be bothered to remove the evidence of their laziness. Truly impressive.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jameson1106. Show jameson1106's posts

Remy's Sweet Chili Wings are out of this world...They are huge, meaty, moist and fried to perfection.

Get them now...Seriously...like right now.  You won't be disappointed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fairnsquare. Show fairnsquare's posts

"Amusing that they just re-'published' a list from 2009.  Look at the first comments... they are all from two years ago."

That's what you get for free at boston.com. Perhaps bostonglobe.com has an updated list, after you pay?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from azsoxfan04. Show azsoxfan04's posts

DJ's Family Sports Pub's in Hyannis wings are amazing! The buffalo garlic and lemon garlic are some of the best wings I've ever had! I have yet to get wings anywhere else that can match the taste and crunch DJ's has...