What are your favorite New England clam shacks?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from teenpd. Show teenpd's posts

geez..  I can't believe no one has chosen Dube's in Salem ma for the very best clams... small, tender, sweet and lightly battered....mmmm. no problem eating the mound of clams that are served.  the very best...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jima. Show Jima's posts

This is a sick joke . Don't you know there is a red tide.
      Howard Johnsons is by far the best

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Xvermonter. Show Xvermonter's posts

Lobster shack at Two lights  Cape Elizabeth Maine

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from davess23. Show davess23's posts

Farnham's is excellent.  Woodman's is good to very good but not worth the long wait during peak season, when volume drives its quality down to fair to good.  Dube's in Salem is very good.

Captain Cass in Rock Harbor, Orleans used to be great, and if it's still there probably still is. 

But the best for quality and value is a very plain-looking restaurant on a corner on North Street in Salem called Dottie & Ray's.  Their fried seafood is right up there with anyone's, anyplace.  Excellent cole slaw, too.  And the prices will amaze anyone who's used to getting gouged at the tourist traps.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from speech38. Show speech38's posts

[Quote]Aunt Carries in Rhode Island.  Everything is fresh and delicious.[/Quote]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox217. Show bosox217's posts

You all need to try Ipswich Clambake.....unbelievably  yummy.  Hottest, freshest, tastiest fried clams I've ever eaten on the North Shore....and I've tried many. 

Woodman's can be very good when they're not serving the huge fried sea clams.  Love their onion rings.  Best around!

Clam Box in Ipswich is good, but food is sometimes served too cool for my liking.  Fried seafood needs to be served piping hot!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from arthurwilner. Show arthurwilner's posts

I would like to submit my vote for Mike's Clam  Shack,  Route  1,  Wells, Me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizineurope. Show lizineurope's posts

[Quote]That's the "charm" of the Clambox.  They know they are good and really don't  care if you have to wait longer.  I especially like the looks on people's faces who have waited in line for over an hour only to have the door literally shut in their face at closing time.[/Quote]

That's not "charm," that's arrogance!  You just convinced me never to go to the Clambox.  Thanks for the warning!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizineurope. Show lizineurope's posts

[Quote][/Quote]
    "Hear! Hear!"  I totally agree!  Aunt Carry's in Rhode Island is the best place for any type of clam chowder.  They will ask if you want red, white, or clear, take your pick!  And the clamcakes are delicious, too!  Fresh steamers are my choice over fried clams, but my hubby loves their fried clams; you choose, strips or whole!!  M-m-m-m!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gchristie129. Show gchristie129's posts

Petie's in Rye, NH - best fried scallops I've ever had...excellent fried clams as well.  Both are worth the Long wait encountered during the summer!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hfb70. Show hfb70's posts

The Friendly Fisherman in Eastham MA

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paulsb2006. Show Paulsb2006's posts

There is only one kind of chowda and it is white.
    Stuffies come from the State Line Cafe on Benefit Street Pawtucket if it is still there . (Hello George)
    Clamcakes come from any greasy place near the Bay.

Paul

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mahlers9th. Show mahlers9th's posts

Horton's in Pawtucket. Great food. Their own private label soda. and a great classic car model collection. What Kistch!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiberalOne. Show LiberalOne's posts

Got to agree with the posts that list both Farnham's and Clam Box (at least for N Shore).  Woodman's is the clam shack equivalent to Anthony's Pier 4 or the Hilltop.  People tend to go there because it's "famous" and there are always lots of people there, despite their inconsistent quality, noise and kids runamuck.  Fine with me... I'd prefer to eat great food in relative peace elsewhere.  The one exception would be if you crave a boiled lobster or steamers... for that, Woodman's is really the only game in town.  As far as the Village goes, it's the last of a dying breed... the dine-in restaurants on the causeway... now that Callahan's, Skipper's Galley, Ship Ahoy, etc. are all gone.  I preferred them in that order... the Village being last.  I still preferred the Village when they had the take-out window in the back.  It's OK when the others are closed for the season and you don't want to drive all the way to Gloucester (to that place on their causeway, also Rte 133).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiberalOne. Show LiberalOne's posts

Forgot Clem & Ursie's in P-Town... though admittedly, I did have one disappointing experience there... when there were a couple lage groups with more kids than should be allowed in any public place at one time.  Somehow, the food suffered, too.  Maybe the confusion of 20 kids screaming out what they wanted flustered the fry-cooks.  In any case, if you've got kids you are unable to control within acceptable tolerances, I heartily recommend Chuck-E-Cheez.  If they don't have clams they day you go, settle for a pizza and just keep trying.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxMom004. Show SoxMom004's posts

Arnold's in Eastham, no doubt!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from macsmart. Show macsmart's posts

Bob's Clam Shack in Kittery, Red's Eats in Wiscasset. Period. The question was "the best"...so either of these fill the bill for the BEST.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from macsmart. Show macsmart's posts

Bob's Clam Shack in Kittery, Red's Eats in Wiscasset. Period. The question was "the best"...so either of these fill the bill for the BEST.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from northshorechick. Show northshorechick's posts

Land and Sea in Peabody does have the best clams - you HAVE to try them!

Clam Box is great too, Essex Seafood and Farnham's.

Woodman's DOES NOT always use fresh fish.  A friend of mine recieved their shipment of FROZEN fish by accident at his restaurant....I always tell tourists NEVER to go there - I send them to either Essex Seafood or Farnham's. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bdj9194. Show bdj9194's posts

[Quote]No one will believe it but the best fried clams on the North Shore are at Land and Sea in Peabody....the trick is in the way they cook at 2 different temperatures....beat all the Ipswich and Essex places hands down.

Woodman's is SO over rated....the clams are too big and chewy and the batter is just not that good.

Clam Box in Ipswich is very good, much better than Woodman's, but the wait can be a killer to a good dining experience.[/Quote]

I grew up in Peabody and ALWAYS eat at Land and Sea when I make it back north - Fried Clams and Roast Beef Sandwich with cheese and extra sauce!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregRod87. Show GregRod87's posts

Captain Parkers pub has outstanding chowda and seafood. West Yarmouth on RTE 28. Go Get some !!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AndiL. Show AndiL's posts

Unquestionably, Dube's in Salem.  A close runner up is Dot & Ray's on North Street in Salem.  Prices are unbeatable at Dot & Ray's.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AndiL. Show AndiL's posts

[Quote]I grew up in Peabody and ALWAYS eat at Land and Sea when I make it back north - Fried Clams and Roast Beef Sandwich with cheese and extra sauce![/Quote]

I forgot about Land & Sea but I second that! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nudoghouse. Show nudoghouse's posts

If you're ever in the western part of Rhode Island check out the little known Chowder Shack in Scituate RI on Route 101.  Great clams and the BEST clam cakes around.  Only open on the weekends!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from manomeans. Show manomeans's posts

[Quote]Captain Parkers pub has outstanding chowda and seafood. West Yarmouth on RTE 28. Go Get some !!!![/Quote]

I suspect you like thick, wall paper paste chowdah? No clams, few potatoes and a lot of 'white' goo.......