What are your favorite New England clam shacks?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosint04. Show bosint04's posts

Hingham Lobster Pound on Route 3A has the best clams in the Metro South area. Take out only; continue heading south on 3A a short distance and eat at the Hingham beach... really nice!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosint04. Show bosint04's posts

The best clam chowda... Pier 18 on Route 18 in Bridgewater. Lots of clams, no grit, flavorful white creamy soup... Truly THE best around!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from timoteoW. Show timoteoW's posts

Giordanos in Oak Bluffs Mass best fried clams ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from theclamman. Show theclamman's posts

THE BITE IN MENEMSHA IS FAR AND AWAY THE BEST!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from theclamman. Show theclamman's posts

THE BITE IN MENEMSHA IS FAR AND AWAY THE BEST!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from funkmeister. Show funkmeister's posts

best clams are at Kelly's Landing in Southie!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesSoPo. Show JamesSoPo's posts

Mainer feeling a little shunned here...all these spots and only ONE clam shack in Maine? Kidding? How 'bout the Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth, which has undoubtedly the best views of any clam shack on earth. The Clambake in Scarborough. Five Islands in Georgetown, way Downeast. C'mon Globe...New England doesn't end at the Piscataqua Bridge.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parkeplace. Show parkeplace's posts

I find that hard to believe, that they would close the door in anyone's face. I've been going to the ClamBox for 23 years and never have seen that happen. They definately have the best FRIED SEAFOOD anywhere!

That's the "charm" of the Clambox. They know they are good and really don't care if you have to wait longer. I especially like the looks on people's faces who have waited in line for over an hour only to have the door literally shut in their face at closing time.[/Quote]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from flyingelvis. Show flyingelvis's posts

Another vote for Harry's in Westboro. Great fish and chips as well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Monique1939. Show Monique1939's posts

As an annual visitor to the clam shacks in New England, I usually gravitate to the best one of all: The Clam Box in Ipswich, MA
    In early Sept. 2008, the Clam Box was closed on the day we arrived there, so we decided to try the Clam Rolls at Woodman's in Essex, MA
    What a surprise! Will never return there and would not recommend Woodman's to anyone! No flavor at all...I would say they were the worst I've ever had! It was terrible and a very disappointing end to our 2 hr. trip that day. My husband and my friends not able to conceal their disappointment either...Woodman's ought to close their doors if they can serve that kind of food with a straight face .......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjmcs. Show jjmcs's posts

Re: What are your favorite New England clam shacks?

In Response to What are your favorite New England clam shacks?:

http://www.boston.com/travel/explorene/specials/clam_shack_map/

Looking at the map of New England Clam Shacks all I can say as a life long resident of the South Shore is --- we are pretty pathetic!!  The North Shore and other places kick our tail when it comes to a great place to get fried clams and the other great foods served up at your typical clam / fried food shack.

Nothing to speak of from Wolloston - Plymouth.  Hingham Lobster Pound is highly adequate at best.  Hull has Jake's but that's not a shack.  Cohasset - nothing, Scituate nothing, Marshfield has some activity in Brant Rock.  Duxbury - forget about it.  Plymouth a little bit on the Pier. 

Lame.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

I believe that you have to look past the iconic Woodman's and the Clam Box, or only go in the off-season, because of the constant very long waits.  Follow the other recommendations here, but only for this reason.  I do think the fried lobster at Woodman's is very special, but things have gotten very expensive there (~$30 for the fried lobster "in the rough", and other more typical items "in the rough" are commensurate).  I know, off-topic, this was about clams...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Oh, no, jkstraw, not clammibalism!!!

(@ 31 comments above this)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from italianqueen. Show italianqueen's posts

Spanky's Clam Shack in Hyannis.  Great spot, at the pier.  Delicious clam chowder.  Definitely a place to try when on the Cape. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from timaging. Show timaging's posts

Baxter's, Hyannis, MA

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldDude3. Show OldDude3's posts

Hands down.....The Park Lunch in Newburyport.  One of the last remaining places of old Newburyport.  Brown's in Seabrook for steamers and beer (BYOB) and a great view of the nuke (Somebody should put a giant mural of C. Montgomery Burns on the cooling tower).  When I was a kid Foote's on Salisbury Beach.  Downeast's best is the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound, better than anything on the island, with the possible exception of Beal's in Southwest Harbor.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GeneGenie. Show GeneGenie's posts

Petey's in Rye, NH is best known for it's seafood chowder.

Bob's in Kittery, ME has gone down hill - it shouldn't be included IMHO.

The Clam Box is the gold standard.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JENBOUTILIER. Show JENBOUTILIER's posts

TAMARACK IN LACONIA, NH > MAY NOT BE ON THE BEACH BUT THEY HAVE THE BEST FRIED SEAFOOD IN NH.  EXCELLANT SCALLOPS & SHRIMP!! CLAMS ARE PLUMP AND BATTERED PERFECTLY.  A MUST HAVE.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimchickle. Show jimchickle's posts

wow can't believe they forgot baxter's in hyannis.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1384823. Show user_1384823's posts

Gene's Famous Seafood, Rt. 6 Fairhaven, MA  Good old-fashioned place with indoor and outdoor picnic tables.  Food is great.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jswone. Show jswone's posts

Kens Place Scarborough ME

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from amic. Show amic's posts

C'MONNNN
    Brown's-Seabrook NH and Champlains, Narragansett,RI- MUST be on this list!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from topcop. Show topcop's posts

Floe's in Island Park, Portsmouth, RI.  I'm amazed this one is not on the list.  this has been a popular spot long before some of the others in the R.I. area.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from davysprokket. Show davysprokket's posts

If you are in the Boston area , the best fried clams hands down is Tony's Clam Shop on Wolloston beach in Quinzee, Always good sized bellies ( thats what the fried clam is all about).  And they are always consistently great clams every time. Worth the trip if you are looking for the best fried clams.
    David Collotta

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JusHanginRound. Show JusHanginRound's posts

Browne's and Markey's (Rt 286, on the Salisbury/Seabrook line, across the street from each other) both have excellent fired clams (as well as their other offerings).