How people go through your recycling bin after you place it out for pick up?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WantOutofHere. Show WantOutofHere's posts

How people go through your recycling bin after you place it out for pick up?

Is it me, or are there a lot more people sifting through recycling bins looking for returnable bottles. I've noticed an increase in my neighborhood as various times of people taking the bottles, including my empty non-returnable plastic water bottles.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

Re: How people go through your recycling bin after you place it out for pick up?

I don't think there's an increase in our neighborhood. But I definitely recognize the rattle of the carts of the rag and bones men and women. We've always had them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: How people go through your recycling bin after you place it out for pick up?

Yes but now they drive up in nice cars and look like suburban housewives.   I found it annoying at first, but I guess it's legal once you put it to the curb.  People can tell a lot about you by what you have in your trash/recycling bin!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikexcore. Show mikexcore's posts

My friend was telling me about his friend's family who collected cans every day and put their son through college.. But I'd rather give the cans to people who want the money, because the city sure doesnt give a damn about them.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fiveof5. Show fiveof5's posts

Go through my recycle bins that is fine but do not touch my paper thin trash bags, if you handle them more than once they rip.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JustinApinyen. Show JustinApinyen's posts

I have very curtious "pickers" where I live now.They are very careful to put back what they don't want. If I'm not using it and they can, all the power to them. I can't say that about my previous Edgeworth neighborhood, I would have to go out and clean up after them. It got to the point where I would have to wait until I left for work to put everything out. However, I have seen one lady being driven around by her sap of a husband, in their 1980's gas guzzler. I can't understand why they spend their time and gas when they probably don't break even.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from voteforme. Show voteforme's posts

The lady that comes by my house is very respectful, about a year or so ago I asked her not to go through my bags, believe it or not, she doesn't.  I put all my bottles in a regular bag and leave them in a hidden spot just for her.  It works out great.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Massgopguy. Show Massgopguy's posts

Biddeford ME has a Recycling Program that limits residenst to $2.40 in returns per day. The result? No one goes through trash anymore.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mayfoto. Show mayfoto's posts

Personally, I think it's unsightly with them pushing their carts though the city with four or five bags full of bottles and I am sick of getting woken up in the middle of the night by the rattling shopping cart, which by the way, they obviously stole from Stop and Shop, CVS, whatever.  My neighborhood is like Grand Central Station with these people the night before trash pick up.  I had a friend who found someone in her yard trying to go through her trash before she had a chance to put it out.  I also hear there is an ordinance on the books against "scavenging"...so maybe they should start writing tickets and generate some badly needed revenue.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WantOutofHere. Show WantOutofHere's posts

One thing I do remember is that the mayor promised (and lied) to us when the trash bags tax went in, the city was going to stop this trash/recycling bin pickers from going around the city at all hours the day and night.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from voteforme. Show voteforme's posts

That's the problem, they don't enforce the laws they have on the books.  About two years ago I had one of them shove me because I told him to get out of my trash.  When I reported it they said there wasn't anything they could do about it, so the week after that little incident I watered my lawn in the morning, it just happened that the same guy walked right into my garden hose and got soaked.  Needless to say, he hasn't been back.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mayfoto. Show mayfoto's posts

Vote for Me....good for you!  If they just enforced the laws/ordiances they have, think of all the revenue they would take in and keep the "riff raff" out because riff raff don't like rules and regs.  I will find the ordinance....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from overthere. Show overthere's posts

Seriously? People are upset b/c somebody is getting the nickel that you're throwing away? You're mad that somebody is taking your trash? Put it out in the morning at 7AM or before you go to work. No need to be d!cks about it and hose people down. Maybe if you show people some common decency they would show it back.

There are far bigger problems in this city than the people taking advantage of the money that YOU feel as though you can just throw away. The people that take your cans usually aren't the crackheads that are kicking down doors, sitting outside of Walgreens or taking advantage of state subsidized clinics.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

overthere: Amen, brutha. Our pickers never leave a mess or come on to the property (that I've seen anyway - if they have, there's no evidence of it) before the recycling is sent to the curb.

As for that "horrible rattling of carts that are obviously stolen"...there's a house around the corner from us that always has carts parked out front. THAT is unsightly, and I know those tenants. They're not pickers. They're just too cheap and lazy to get a wired basket to take home their groceries. Their yard is all mud now because of the pack of half-feral dogs they keep there, and there's always trash and dog doings all over.

I'll take the rattle of a respectful picker's cart coming down my street over the mess of our neighbor's any day. But then, it IS a city. Cities tend to not be oasis of suburban silence at dusk. Get over it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

Isn't the plan by the mayor to get the recyclables into the city trucks to help reaise revenue?, 

If the land clammers take the 5 cent deposits, then the city doesnt get it. 

Pesonally, I dont care who takes it, I am throwing the bottles out. But, the  amrican rickshaws (shopping carts) do kind a give the city a southeast asia kind a look, is that what we are going for?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mayfoto. Show mayfoto's posts

I know it's the city and I grew up here and onlly once in a blue moon did I see trash pickers.  When they are waking me up at night, it's a problem.  I am in a neighborhood of dead end streets so I do expect to get a good night's sleep before I have to wake up for work.  When they come through at midnight, 3:30 am, then 5:00 am, I have a problem with that and will not get over it.  How about the two trash pickers that got into a fist fight on my street?  Or the one that walked straight down the street and would not move to the sidewalk so I could get by and into my driveway?  I am a homeowner and this is definitely taking away from the value of my home.  Like I said before, there is an ordinance, they need to enforce it.  I have to figure out how to post pictures of what has greeted me when I leave my house in the morning. Remind me to have the realtor put it on the brochure when I try to sell the house.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fugghedaboutit. Show fugghedaboutit's posts

Hey, I don't mind the peaceful people who want to make a buck off my castoffs - how would you like to have your buckets thrown all over your yard because creeps with entitlement issues don't like where you put them out? and when you report, no one really cares.. 

just more deterioration of the "neighborhoods" from my bird's eye view  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fugghedaboutit. Show fugghedaboutit's posts

In Response to Re: How people go through your recycling bin after you place it out for pick up?:
    [QUOTE]I know it's the city and I grew up here and onlly once in a blue moon did I see trash pickers.  When they are waking me up at night, it's a problem.  I am in a neighborhood of dead end streets so I do expect to get a good night's sleep before I have to wake up for work.  When they come through at midnight, 3:30 am, then 5:00 am, I have a problem with that and will not get over it.  How about the two trash pickers that got into a fist fight on my street?  Or the one that walked straight down the street and would not move to the sidewalk so I could get by and into my driveway?  I am a homeowner and this is definitely taking away from the value of my home.  Like I said before, there is an ordinance, they need to enforce it.  I have to figure out how to post pictures of what has greeted me when I leave my house in the morning. Remind me to have the realtor put it on the brochure when I try to sell the house.
    Posted by mayfoto[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fugghedaboutit. Show fugghedaboutit's posts

In Response to Re: How people go through your recycling bin after you place it out for pick up?:
    [QUOTE]I know it's the city and I grew up here and onlly once in a blue moon did I see trash pickers.  When they are waking me up at night, it's a problem.  I am in a neighborhood of dead end streets so I do expect to get a good night's sleep before I have to wake up for work.  When they come through at midnight, 3:30 am, then 5:00 am, I have a problem with that and will not get over it.  How about the two trash pickers that got into a fist fight on my street?  Or the one that walked straight down the street and would not move to the sidewalk so I could get by and into my driveway?  I am a homeowner and this is definitely taking away from the value of my home.  Like I said before, there is an ordinance, they need to enforce it.  I have to figure out how to post pictures of what has greeted me when I leave my house in the morning. Remind me to have the realtor put it on the brochure when I try to sell the house.
    Posted by mayfoto[/QUOTE]

Wanna know what greeted me for years before the issue was finally resolved (and probably will resume at some point)? dog feces and  lots of it! such a fun way to greet your mail, your walk, your morning, your evening, your winter(lovely to see it on fresh white sparkling snow, or OOPS, not so great when the snow covers it!),  spring(ah, yes, nothing like a fresh blooming spring flower with fresh dog feces next to it!), summer (especially lovely covered in disease carrying flies!) and you haven't lived until you've seen a nice batch of feces next to golden autumn leaves!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

mayfoto: It sucks to watch your city deteriorate, but if what you're looking for is a less than urban environment, then maybe you should move.

Malden has become the city that accepts the castoffs from Boston, Somerville, Cambridge, JP, Dorchester...all of those areas that are undergoing urban renewal and gentrification and pushing/pricing out the poor, the homeless, the criminal.

I'm not going to deny people in need access to my discarded recyclables or scrap. And in this economy, yes, you're going to see a lot more of them than you might have even a few years ago. On the other hand, if they're fighting on your street, call the cops. No one needs to listen to that rubbish.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

Wouldn't it be nice though if we had a Mayor and city council that was making our city as nice as Boston, Somerville, Cambridge, JP, Dorchester...instead of a city that attracts the castoffs of these cities. , What we get is  a government that has managed to let the city deteriorate.

I like living in an urban area, I go into Boston for Sox and Bruins games all the time. Somehow though I beleive the increase n land clammers is just another indication that the people who run this city do not care what they have and are doing to it.

Besides, what is the point of the PAYT system if the city is not getting the recycle revenue that their idiot plan was based on

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fscib52. Show fscib52's posts

Rick
    we were sold a bag of goods with this PAYT. It reminds me soo much of obamacare. They just shoved it down our throats. We need government that will let us tax payers have some kind of voice.
    i wish Bob Miller was running for office. He would be my choice for mayor. My second choice would be driver.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikexcore. Show mikexcore's posts

maybe if the trash bags weren't two dollars a piece, there would be less people scrambling for cash (just to throw away their own junk)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mayfoto. Show mayfoto's posts

I was woken up at 4:30 am this morning by one of them.....and I have been up ever since.  Next time I am calling the police.  I used to live in the suburbs and it was too far from my job and for me to go out in Boston.  I thought Malden was a happy medium....boy was I wrong.  Like Jirky Rick said, we are getting the cast-offs, and I am tired (literally) of it.